what makes a prophet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
anyways God proves the prophet. simple as that. God proves, witness, so on and so forth that this person that is His He walks with.

hence the works Jesus spoke of when He said something to the effect that if you don't believe Him believe the works. works being the miracles and such, that are only of God. even the OT prophets where respected in the same fashion where as people would come to them for requests that only God could fulfill. such as the king that washed himself seven times in the Jorden to be cleansed of leprosy. the proof is the Lord God.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
again this is what you said

"First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time."

I asked you what type is there that it takes to write the book of revelations, and you know very well that revelations and any other OT prophet book reads very much in the same respects which proves your statement incorrect.

me done here.

It's the Book of Revelation, not book of revelations.

Reactions: Helen

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
how does one know that a prophet is truly a prophet of God? where does the poof come from?

See what prophecies come true, that's a way to find out, I believe a part from Jesus no true prophet of God is gonna be right all the time, but most of the prophecies of a true prophet will come to past, that's if they are in tune with God, even then though they still can be deceived from time to time.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, (Luke 16:16), "The law and the prophets were until John...."

The similarity of the book of Revelation with other Old Testament prophets is the result of the inspiration of God given to John and the culmination of the Old Testament prophecies. John was unique in that he was one of the twelve disciples. Unique in that He was given Scripture to write. And that was promised in (John 14:13) before the Church began. "...whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

In other words, Johns part in the writing of the book of Revelation is not to be compared to the gift of prophecy as exercised in the Church. Not unless you want to add to Scripture. And (Luke 16:16) is correct in that John the apostle was not an Old Testament prophet.

Stranger

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See what prophecies come true, that's a way to find out, I believe a part from Jesus no true prophet of God is gonna be right all the time, but most of the prophecies of a true prophet will come to past, that's if they are in tune with God, even then though they still can be deceived from time to time.

God proves the prophet. simple as that. God proves, witness, so on and so forth that this person that is His He walks with.

hence the works Jesus spoke of when He said something to the effect that if you don't believe Him believe the works. works being the miracles and such, that are only of God. even the OT prophets where respected in the same fashion where as people would come to them for requests that only God could fulfill. such as the king that washed himself seven times in the Jorden to be cleansed of leprosy. the proof is the Lord God.

Reactions: Josho

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
oh wow, you real got me on that one. are you kidding?

Yes, I agree with Oz.
It is the book of Revelation. One revelation.
REV 1:1
"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him, to shew unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John.."

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree with Oz.
It is the book of Revelation. One revelation.
REV 1:1
"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him, to shew unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John.."

you're going to make an issue out of a typo right? you're so agreeable you don't even know what you are agreeing to, do you bygrace?

on top of that I never said the book of revelation wasn't, maybe you should drink more of that coffee.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you're going to make an issue out of a typo right? you're so agreeable you don't even know what you are agreeing to, do you bygrace?

on top of that I never said the book of revelation wasn't, maybe you should drink more of that coffee.

I don't drink coffee....
And a good and blessed day to you , too. :D

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't drink coffee....
And a good and blessed day to you , too. :D

in posting #29 of April 24 2018 in thread 'live in shame or die honorably?' you posted, says:

"Priceless...that did actually cause me to choke on my coffee. LOL "

so which is it? are we receiving some kind of error in image maintenance here?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
in posting #29 of April 24 2018 in thread 'live in shame or die honorably?' you posted, says:

"Priceless...that did actually cause me to choke on my coffee. LOL "

so which is it? are we receiving some kind of error in image maintenance here?

Wow you are sharp one. No flies on you. :)
Well speaking literally wouldn't have given the same image...
It would have sounded a bit lame to have written.." That did actually cause me to choke on my warm water" ( which was the actual fact...but it would somehow have lost something in the writing! lol )
I often say to a neighbour " come over for a coffee this afternoon."
She knows what that means...She comes, and we often drink tea or we drink nothing at all.

People often argue about the bible...why this contradicts that etc...yet I have no problem, because I believe that the bible is not a translation of what God spoke..but an interpretation of what He spoke. Many time He spoke in pictures, Jesus even more so.
So it was "the picture" I was trying to get across, ...and BTW..what you said was very funny...and it did make me choke, just not on coffee, and it was well worth the 'like' and the comment I made. :)

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God proves the prophet. simple as that. God proves, witness, so on and so forth that this person that is His He walks with.

Indeed Jesus is the source of a true prophet, and Jesus is the very best prophet himself, when a Christian speaks a true prophecy it is not his, but it's straight from the Holy through the man's mouth.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how does one know that a prophet is truly a prophet of God? where does the poof come from?
From the Spirit of God.

"...flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

Reactions: amadeus

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Spirit of God.

"...flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

there's no doubt that the revelation to be repeated by the prophet is of God, even a false prophet would have you believe that is what he is doing, but God proves the prophet. simple as that. God proves, witness, so on and so forth that this person that is His He walks with.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow you are sharp one. No flies on you. :)
Well speaking literally wouldn't have given the same image...
It would have sounded a bit lame to have written.." That did actually cause me to choke on my warm water" ( which was the actual fact...but it would somehow have lost something in the writing! lol )
I often say to a neighbour " come over for a coffee this afternoon."
She knows what that means...She comes, and we often drink tea or we drink nothing at all.

People often argue about the bible...why this contradicts that etc...yet I have no problem, because I believe that the bible is not a translation of what God spoke..but an interpretation of what He spoke. Many time He spoke in pictures, Jesus even more so.
So it was "the picture" I was trying to get across, ...and BTW..what you said was very funny...and it did make me choke, just not on coffee, and it was well worth the 'like' and the comment I made. :)

bygrace there are translations like (KJV) and there are what can be called interpretations, what we called paraphrased bibles back in the 70's like "the Living Bible" paraphrased with the intent to assist those who had difficulty with thees and thous. if Moses would have translated as you suggest, the Lord would have cast him down. people like Moses, prophets, the apostles, were entrusted to speak exactly what the Lord said to them verbatim.

for example:

Rev_22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

don't hold me to it, but I'm sure there is more of similar warning in the OT I don't know where.

you should consider that Eve entertained the serpent's interpretation of God's Word to them, and look where we are now. that is how dangerous it is to take that position in relationship to God's Word.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you should consider that Eve entertained the serpent's interpretation of God's Word to them, and look where we are now. that is how dangerous it is to take that position in relationship to God's Word.

That was a good post...just a snippet above.
Good thought...I find I have to agree.

Maybe I should have tried to use the bible to illustrate re..drinking coffee and drinking warm water.

But I am sure that you understood the point I was trying to make.
I am chastened...so if it ever happens again...you will see me writing..
"I almost choked on my water..."

Be blessed...H :)

Last edited:

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are given the basic criteria in Deuteronomy.

Deu 18:21 And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'—
Deu 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

Deu 13:1 "If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,
Deu 13:2 and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, 'Let us go after other gods,' which you have not known, 'and let us serve them,'
Deu 13:3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That relates to OT prophets. Please show me from the NT that prophecy dealt with prediction.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are given the basic criteria in Deuteronomy.

Deu 18:21 And if you say in your heart, 'How may we know the word that the LORD has not spoken?'—
Deu 18:22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

Deu 13:1 "If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,
Deu 13:2 and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, 'Let us go after other gods,' which you have not known, 'and let us serve them,'
Deu 13:3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the LORD your God is testing you, to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Nomad,

That's the Old Covenant. The New Covenant's criteria are different because NT prophecy is not the same as OT prophecy.

I Cor 14:3-7 (NIV) states:
But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.​

The criteria for assessing NT prophecy are: strengthening, encouraging and comforting the church. In fact I Cor 14 states that all prophecies were delivered in the NT church.

Further criteria are given in 1 Cor 14: 24-25 (NIV);

But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”​

Other criteria involve the response of unbelievers when there is prophecy:
  • convicted of sin,
  • brought under judgment,
  • secrets of their hearts are laid bare,
  • they fall down and worship God.
There also is the need to 'weigh carefully' the content of the prophecy in the church gathering:

'Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.... Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said' (1 Cor 14:26, 29 NIV).​

In 1 Cor 14, nothing is stated about NT prophecy being predictive. It is a word from God that is designed to strengthen, encourage, and comfort people.

Oz

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That relates to OT prophets. Please show me from the NT that prophecy dealt with prediction.

I believe the gift of being a prophet, exercised in the local assembly, can involve predictions. Just not to the adding of Scripture.

Stranger

Last edited: