what makes a prophet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how does one know that a prophet is truly a prophet of God? where does the poof come from?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
how does one know that a prophet is truly a prophet of God? where does the poof come from?

What do you mean by 'prophet'?

In the bible the word has two meanings.
It can mean to tell the truth about God and man kind, i.e. to preach.

or

It can mean what is commonly understood to be a prophet and to make pridictions about the future.

The first is what anyone who talks about Jesus and mans need of salvation.

TThe second has a biblical test. A prophet of God does not get it wrong. A false prophet is one who has said something will happen and it doesn't.

Reactions: ScottA

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The latter can be hard to prove. Prophecies are usually not clear cut, and the timing of their fulfilment may take a undetermined amount of time. Often a prophet will speak of spiritual things, impossible to prove. They will also tell you what comes into their mind, requiring interpretation. Then the prophet under pressure may interpret their own vision incorrectly if knowledge of the meaning is not granted to them.

I have found that false prophets know of the test for a prophet, and will avoid making verifiable predictions. This forces us to test them in other ways, until they unwittingly reveal their spirit, because out of the heart the mouth speaks. These false prophets will either become abusive to others or blaspheme God.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
These false prophets will either become abusive to others or blaspheme God.

This reminds me of the scripture Revelations 13:5. While this speaks of the antichrist, or his kingdom, it reveals something about the spirit of the antichrist which is already in this world.

A soft test I apply to any teaching is, who does this glorify? More often than not a new teaching glorifies man, and that sets off warning bells. I suppose this would be the pride aspect of the spirit of the antichrist.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The latter can be hard to prove. Prophecies are usually not clear cut, and the timing of their fulfilment may take a undetermined amount of time. Often a prophet will speak of spiritual things, impossible to prove. They will also tell you what comes into their mind, requiring interpretation. Then the prophet under pressure may interpret their own vision incorrectly if knowledge of the meaning is not granted to them.

I have found that false prophets know of the test for a prophet, and will avoid making verifiable predictions. This forces us to test them in other ways, until they unwittingly reveal their spirit, because out of the heart the mouth speaks. These false prophets will either become abusive to others or blaspheme God.

There is always the test of how they live and interact with others.
Are they humble, in awe of God and seeking to serve the church, or are they seeking to make a name for themselves and unwilling to listen to others points of view.

As Jesus said, by there fruits you will know them.

Reactions: bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is always the test of how they live and interact with others.
Are they humble, in awe of God and seeking to serve the church, or are they seeking to make a name for themselves and unwilling to listen to others points of view.

As Jesus said, by there fruits you will know them.

really? how many prophets do you know? and are they what you call a prophet in your own judgement or what God calls a prophet?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

thing is you can't prove the prophet, if he be a prophet of God. it seems you also see yourself able to prove a prophet of God according to your own judgement.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
thing is you can't prove the prophet, if he be a prophet of God. it seems you also see yourself able to prove a prophet of God according to your own judgement.

Not really, it may be impossible to prove them. I think we can disprove a prophet with far less difficulty. But disproving them is not easy in my experience.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really, it may be impossible to prove them. I think we can disprove a prophet with far less difficulty. But disproving them is not easy in my experience.

I don't think so, the Pharisees were expert at the job, and more familiar with the rules then any of us would ever be, and they still said Jesus was a devil. disproving doesn't really work, because it would be finding fault, as it was for the Pharisees according to one's own judgement. and especially in the things of the Lord man's judgment is the fault. if the devil knows what is truth according to your own judgement, then you are dead in the water, and deceived already.

again:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so, the Pharisees were expert at the job, and more familiar with the rules then any of us would ever be, and they still said Jesus was a devil. disproving doesn't really work, because it would be finding fault, as it was for the Pharisees according to one's own judgement. and especially in the things of the Lord man's judgment is the fault. if the devil knows what is truth according to your own judgement, then you are dead in the water, and deceived already.

again:

First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time.

A prophet in the church is one with the gift of prophecy, or prophet. Just as with any other gift in the Body of Christ, the people in the Body recognize the Spirit's work in the individual. And the individual comes to recognize the same as he exercises it more.

One thing is certain. The one with the gift of prophet will rub people the wrong way. He comes with the plumb-bob. And if it doesn't measure up, he speaks out.

Stranger

Reactions: Heart2Soul

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

again:

This only works for the devil to get someone to accept false prophecies. He does tempt people in this way.

The devil doesn't get to decide what prophecies God will give. Therefore the devil can't tempt us with them. Nether does God tempt according to scripture.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This only works for the devil to get someone to accept false prophecies. He does tempt people in this way.

The devil doesn't get to decide what prophecies God will give. Therefore the devil can't tempt us with them. Nether does God tempt according to scripture.

again that would be in your judgement of what God is and does. you are grossly wrong in all your statements here see what the scriptures say:

1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. 21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. 22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

everything you've just posted would prove you false according to what you've posted. hence according to your own judgement.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time.

A prophet in the church is one with the gift of prophecy, or prophet. Just as with any other gift in the Body of Christ, the people in the Body recognize the Spirit's work in the individual. And the individual comes to recognize the same as he exercises it more.

One thing is certain. The one with the gift of prophet will rub people the wrong way. He comes with the plumb-bob. And if it doesn't measure up, he speaks out.

Stranger

the rest of what you said is purely assumption that don't warrant an argument, but you statement of "One thing is certain. The one with the gift of prophet will rub people the wrong way. He comes with the plumb-bob. And if it doesn't measure up, he speaks out." is well said. but you don't necessarily have be a prophet in the traditional sense to do that, you just have to stand with the Lord.

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
again that would be in your judgement of what God is and does. you are grossly wrong in all your statements here see what the scriptures say:

1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. 21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. 22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

everything you've just posted would prove you false according to what you've posted. hence according to your own judgement.
It is you who are wrong, because a prophecy from a lying spirit is not a prophecy from God. God does not tempt. Remember: "Is there no longer a prophet of the Lord here whom we can inquire of?" Even though the prophet lied at first, he was revealed the truth.

Nether am I proven false by my own standards because I am not speaking prophecies. If God were to speak to me I doubt it would be to chime in on this conversation. Even if he did give an answer for you it would be rejected, so what would be the point?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is you who are wrong, because a prophecy from a lying spirit is not a prophecy from God. God does not tempt. Remember: "Is there no longer a prophet of the Lord here whom we can inquire of?" Even though the prophet lied at first, he was revealed the truth.

Nether am I proven false by my own standards because I am not speaking prophecies. If God were to speak to me I doubt it would be to chime in on this conversation. Even if he did give an answer for you it would be rejected, so what would be the point?

by who's will in this case are the prophets to deceive? and by who's will and command is it done?
read what it says " Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets" I'm not wrong, you are saying the scriptures are wrong, go figure.

maybe the Creator and Judge isn't quite in your image of what you think He ought to be. I show you scripture that shows you are way off base, and you give me your opinion, of what is shown to you to be true, what is that about?

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Cor 14:1-3 " Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

The NT prophet is not a judgmental prophet as in the NT.
Edifying and comfort are all part a parcel of his message to The Church.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the rest of what you said is purely assumption that don't warrant an argument, but you statement of "One thing is certain. The one with the gift of prophet will rub people the wrong way. He comes with the plumb-bob. And if it doesn't measure up, he speaks out." is well said. but you don't necessarily have be a prophet in the traditional sense to do that, you just have to stand with the Lord.

Again, when you say 'prophet' in the traditional senses, what are you talking about? At this time there are no prophets in the 'traditional sense'. John the Baptist was the last Old Testament prophet. The prophet now exists in the Church and it is a gift in the Body of Christ as any other gift.

You don't have to have a gift of evangelist to evangelize either, but some do. (Eph. 4:11) To those that do, that is where the Holy Ghost works in them mightily to do that work. Same with the New Testament prophet.

Nothing of what I said is assumption. You need to be clearer in your reply as to what you disagree with.

Stranger

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Cor 14:1-3 " Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

The NT prophet is not a judgmental prophet as in the NT.
Edifying and comfort are all part a parcel of his message to The Church.

I think you mean "as in the OT".

Wayne Grudem has written an excellent book dealing with this topic: The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today (this link is a review of the book).