what makes a prophet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, when you say 'prophet' in the traditional senses, what are you talking about? At this time there are no prophets in the 'traditional sense'. John the Baptist was the last Old Testament prophet. The prophet now exists in the Church and it is a gift in the Body of Christ as any other gift.

You don't have to have a gift of evangelist to evangelize either, but some do. (Eph. 4:11) To those that do, that is where the Holy Ghost works in them mightily to do that work. Same with the New Testament prophet.

Nothing of what I said is assumption. You need to be clearer in your reply as to what you disagree with.

Stranger

you said:
"First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time. "

what type of prophet does it take to write the book of Revelations?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 14:1-3 " Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

The NT prophet is not a judgmental prophet as in the NT.
Edifying and comfort are all part a parcel of his message to The Church.

why do you think God changed and human nature changed? why would you think an OT didn't speak edification, and exhortation, and comfort to his fellow prophets and believers?

back then Israel was full of the rebellious a lot like the church is today. don't expect them to be comforting or as you seem to demand it, warm and fuzzy feel goods to the rebellious to the Truth of God.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
really? how many prophets do you know? and are they what you call a prophet in your own judgement or what God calls a prophet?

I know of no people who claim the role of prophet.
But I know that the preaching of many ministers that I've listened to have found that their words were prophetic. In that people who listened have confirm later at baptismal service of the way particular sermons address there personal issues.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I know that the preaching of many ministers that I've listened to have found that their words were prophetic. In that people who listened have confirm later at baptismal service of the way particular sermons address there personal issues.

preaching the Truth of God that cuts through the heart like a double edge sword isn't unusual, and certainly isn't prophetic. the called respond, the chosen of the called respond and the faithful of the chosen respond to that Truth of God accordingly.

and as far as personal issues, they are much more common then then unique, its just well trained, in many cases, preaching. if one is well trained in human nature or phycology which many schooled preachers are these days. all one has to do is keep addressing the issues that plague whatever society one is preaching in that are common. even a broken clock is right twice a day. pop music works that same philosophy all the day long, to get the response desired. I mean the music speaks to them doesn't it?

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
preaching the Truth of God that cuts through the heart like a double edge sword isn't unusual, and certainly isn't prophetic.

That's true.

Btw I have seen my share of false prophets.
I don't deny there are true prophets, but most claiming to be a prophet are control freaks.
Dangerous people trying to control christians.

Real prophets are hard to find.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Scriptures always addresses people.
That's not being prophetic.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
preaching the Truth of God that cuts through the heart like a double edge sword isn't unusual, and certainly isn't prophetic. the called respond, the chosen of the called respond and the faithful of the chosen respond to that Truth of God accordingly.

and as far as personal issues, they are much more common then then unique, its just well trained, in many cases, preaching. if one is well trained in human nature or phycology which many schooled preachers are these days. all one has to do is keep addressing the issues that plague whatever society one is preaching in that are common. even a broken clock is right twice a day. pop music works that same philosophy all the day long, to get the response desired. I mean the music speaks to them doesn't it?

It is one of the functions of a prophet to tell people the message God has given them.
Whether that is about the future or about the present.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how does one know that a prophet is truly a prophet of God?

Does a prophet of God speak doom and gloom? Does a prophet of God predict the future? If yes, then how is this different from being in the world? Do believers need a crystal ball? Do believers need to be lambasted?

The Apostle Paul says we have not received the spirit of the world.

1 Corinthians 2:9-10, However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:12, What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

The Apostle Paul gives us the definition of prophecy. All prophecy will build up a believer, not tear them down.

1 Corinthians 14:3, But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

When you hear a prophet of God, is there judgment or encouragement? Since God has already judged everything in Christ, why the need for more judgment? Old Covenant prophets spoke of judgment and sin and Jesus fulfilled the law and sins are washed away, so, what do New Covenant prophets speak about?

where does the poof come from?

The poof is in the pudding. Does the pudding nourish or does the pudding have empty calories that make you fat, lazy and sad?

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Well......Paul refers to false prophesies.

A true prophet has nothing to do with the "spirit of the world".

Do believers need a crystal ball? Do believers need to be lambasted?

No we don't need a crystal ball.
That's the stuff they practice in the world.

True prophesy is one of the gifts.
And it's active in the church.
Just like it says in the bible.

Reactions: Armadillo

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is one of the functions of a prophet to tell people the message God has given them.
Whether that is about the future or about the present.
that doesn't change a thing I said dose it Windmillcharge?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does a prophet of God speak doom and gloom? Does a prophet of God predict the future? If yes, then how is this different from being in the world? Do believers need a crystal ball? Do believers need to be lambasted?

1 Corinthians 2:9-10, However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:12, What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

The Apostle Paul gives us the definition of prophecy. All prophecy will build up a believer, not tear them down.

1 Corinthians 14:3, But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

When you hear a prophet of God, is there judgment or encouragement? Since God has already judged everything in Christ, why the need for more judgment? Old Covenant prophets spoke of judgment and sin and Jesus fulfilled the law and sins are washed away, so, what do New Covenant prophets speak about?

The poof is in the pudding. Does the pudding nourish or does the pudding have empty calories that make you fat, lazy and sad?

and the tickling of the ears nourishes the rebellious to be happy and content in their rebelliousness doesn't it Armadillo? if the churches are full of the rebellious then your prophets according to your judgement, would be false ones.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and the tickling of the ears nourishes the rebellious to be happy and content in their rebelliousness doesn't it Armadillo? if the churches are full of the rebellious then your prophets according to your judgement, would be false ones.

What is happening in the churches isn't all good and those sitting in the pews need to be fed, don't be so naive.

Matthew 21:13, “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.”

False prophets preach a false gospel and block the way to God. False prophets do not share the message of Jesus Christ, they appeal to those who have put themselves under the law and need their ears scratched. Christians need to take responsibility for their lack of knowledge and those false prophets need to be rebuked, with the Word.

Psalm 69:9, for zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.

Law teaches how to sin, Grace teaches how to live.

Titus 2:11,12 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
why do you think God changed and human nature changed? why would you think an OT didn't speak edification, and exhortation, and comfort to his fellow prophets and believers?

back then Israel was full of the rebellious a lot like the church is today. don't expect them to be comforting or as you seem to demand it, warm and fuzzy feel goods to the rebellious to the Truth of God.

I didn't " think anything"..... I quoted scripture.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you said:
"First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time. "

what type of prophet does it take to write the book of Revelations?

It takes the type to whom God wants to reveal His Revelation.

(Luke 16:16) "The law and the prophets were until John:...." That is John the Baptist. Thus the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist.

The apostle John who wrote Revelation is a New Testament prophet. But, he, as an apostle, is one whom the Lord gave revelation and inspiration to be added to the Scriptures. The same is true with the apostle Paul. The law and the prophets were until John the Baptist, yet Jesus Christ was Himself a Prophet but He came after John the Baptist. Neither Paul, or the apostle John were Old Testament prophets.

Just like there are those today who have the gift of apostle, yet they are not to be included with the twelve apostles. So, those who have the gift of being a prophet in the Church today are not to be included with John who was given revelation to add to the Scripture.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't " think anything"..... I quoted scripture.
you sure did without any regard for the rest of scripture like, let us say, the OT. taking out the "feel good" without regard for the rest of the bible isn't the correct use there of, is it bygrace?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes the type to whom God wants to reveal His Revelation.

(Luke 16:16) "The law and the prophets were until John:...." That is John the Baptist. Thus the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist.

The apostle John who wrote Revelation is a New Testament prophet. But, he, as an apostle, is one whom the Lord gave revelation and inspiration to be added to the Scriptures. The same is true with the apostle Paul. The law and the prophets were until John the Baptist, yet Jesus Christ was Himself a Prophet but He came after John the Baptist. Neither Paul, or the apostle John were Old Testament prophets.

Just like there are those today who have the gift of apostle, yet they are not to be included with the twelve apostles. So, those who have the gift of being a prophet in the Church today are not to be included with John who was given revelation to add to the Scripture.

Stranger
again this is what you said

"First of all the Old Testament prophets ended with John the Baptist. So those type of prophets don't exist at this time."

I asked you what type is there that it takes to write the book of revelations, and you know very well that revelations and any other OT prophet book reads very much in the same respects which proves your statement incorrect.

me done here.