What makes someone a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Born_Again said:
I'd be impressed if an atheist felt guilt. A true atheist is almost like God hating robot. Even if they felt guilt, they wouldn't tell anyone. If they feel guilt, that's accountability. The don't feel as though they have to answer to anyone. Its part of their contention with God. But I digress.
Do you know any atheists personally?
My kid brother claims to be an atheist. He's a bit of a jerk, that is true...but he does have feelings. I've actually heard him apologize....once or twice...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
I'd be impressed if an atheist felt guilt. A true atheist is almost like God hating robot. Even if they felt guilt, they wouldn't tell anyone. If they feel guilt, that's accountability. The don't feel as though they have to answer to anyone. Its part of their contention with God. But I digress.
I agree and disagree. There are no TRUE atheists, there are just people that have assumed there is no God and are about as vocal and vehement about it as any OTHER religion. Their god is themselves. Pretty similar to the LGBT movement or those that push evolution.
Their guilt is what manifests itself in their vehemence and condescension.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Do you know any atheists personally?
My kid brother claims to be an atheist. He's a bit of a jerk, that is true...but he does have feelings. I've actually heard him apologize....once or twice...
I know one. But I have studied them. I researched famous ones like Hitchens and Dawkings. As you said, "Claims" to be an atheist. I agree with the following statement from StanJ.

StanJ said:
I agree and disagree. There are no TRUE atheists, there are just people that have assumed there is no God and are about as vocal and vehement about it as any OTHER religion. Their god is themselves. Pretty similar to the LGBT movement or those that push evolution.
Their guilt is what manifests itself in their vehemence and condescension.
That is pretty accurate. I would agree for the most part. See, new atheism is like most fads, "its cool to hate God." oh wait.. did I say hate? Yes I did. If you study the root of their atheism, its not that they don't believe in God, they are mad at God. The atheist I know has a medical condition. He says "God did this to him" Oh, well then, you're not a true atheist.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Born_Again said:
I know one. But I have studied them. I researched famous ones like Hitchens and Dawkings. As you said, "Claims" to be an atheist. I agree with the following statement from StanJ.

That is pretty accurate. I would agree for the most part. See, new atheism is like most fads, "its cool to hate God." oh wait.. did I say hate? Yes I did. If you study the root of their atheism, its not that they don't believe in God, they are mad at God. The atheist I know has a medical condition. He says "God did this to him" Oh, well then, you're not a true atheist.
Yeah, I think Stan is pretty close.
And I have seen the "it's cool to hate God" fad among people my brother's age and younger.
I think he started it just to get on our mother's nerves...however, she died several years ago, and he kept it up. What's funny about it is that he will buy every one of my books, even though most of 'em are Christian books based on characters from the Bible.
He likes to tell me that he is God...and he likes the publicity. However, I have noticed my book "The First Sinner" laying open in his "den"...

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how Hitchens faired out when he died in 2010 from cancer and pneumonia?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
You know, I'll bet he isn't an atheist any more...

Actually, I have great pity for the man. If only there could have been some way to reach him before it was too late....
Just before he died, he said no one has yet to provide him with any sound evidence of God, but he likes surprises.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, in the mercy department the following doesn't hold much hope for him.

Matthew 10:32-33 (NIV)
32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
Just before he died, he said no one has yet to provide him with any sound evidence of God, but he likes surprises.
I'm always uncomfortable with deathbed confessions. They always seem to end up being fiction. I know Sagan did not make a deathbed confession. He was an agnostic and after his wife died she was asked if he wanted to believe in God, and she answered, "NO!"..."he wanted to KNOW"!
I guess he does now.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
This has become a very depressing thread.
I guess I take after my Father....I am not willing that anyone should perish, but that all would come to repentance.

I just do not like the thought of these people dying without God...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
This has become a very depressing thread.
I guess I take after my Father....I am not willing that anyone should perish, but that all would come to repentance.

I just do not like the thought of these people dying without God...
Trust me, neither do I, and yet I think my siblings and parents will. My Dad did as far as I know, way back in 1973, and judging from my family visit last week, the rest will as well. I am VERY thankful that my kids and their spouses have all been raised in the way they SHOULD go.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
A Christian is a label that identifies one with the Christian Church which is supposed to built and founded upon the principles and teachings of Jesus Christ. Many claim to be Christian and are not but the "wheat and tare will grow together"(Matthew 13:30). This shows that the outer look can be so similar to the naked eye that only one with a keen and discerning sight can determine those who are saved and those who are not. And that person is God (Matthew 13:30) yet He can reveals to His saints through the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:10).
Thus being a Christian or being saved, born again, converted, etc. is
1. Being called by God unto a great salvation (John 6:44; Hebrews 2:3; Romans 8:29-30)
2. Accepting that call and putting full belief, faith and trust in Jesus (John 3:16; Hebrews 10:23; Romans 10:17; John 14:1)
3. Obeying the Word of the Lord and the unction of the Holy Ghost (i.e. baptism, etc.) (Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46; Romans 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:19)
4. Living a sanctified and holy life unto the Lord through the work of the Holy Ghost (2 Corinthians 7:1; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Peter 1:15; 1 John 3:3; Revelation 22:11)
5. Walking in the Holy Spirit (fruit and gifts, ministry, etc.) (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:16-23; Ephesians 5:18; Jude 1:20-25; Acts 2:4; Acts 19:1-6)

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
UHCAIan said:
A Christian is a label that identifies one with the Christian Church which is supposed to built and founded upon the principles and teachings of Jesus Christ. Many claim to be Christian and are not but the "wheat and tare will grow together"(Matthew 13:30). This shows that the outer look can be so similar to the naked eye that only one with a keen and discerning sight can determine those who are saved and those who are not. And that person is God (Matthew 13:30) yet He can reveals to His saints through the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:10).
Thus being a Christian or being saved, born again, converted, etc. is
1. Being called by God unto a great salvation (John 6:44; Hebrews 2:3; Romans 8:29-30)
2. Accepting that call and putting full belief, faith and trust in Jesus (John 3:16; Hebrews 10:23; Romans 10:17; John 14:1)
3. Obeying the Word of the Lord and the unction of the Holy Ghost (i.e. baptism, etc.) (Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46; Romans 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:19)
4. Living a sanctified and holy life unto the Lord through the work of the Holy Ghost (2 Corinthians 7:1; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Peter 1:15; 1 John 3:3; Revelation 22:11)
5. Walking in the Holy Spirit (fruit and gifts, ministry, etc.) (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:16-23; Ephesians 5:18; Jude 1:20-25; Acts 2:4; Acts 19:1-6)
Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Did you catch that last bit?

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Jesus seemed to think that His disciples would be recognizable by their love.

Each one of us ought to be asking ourselves....do others see the love in us? Are we recognizable as the Lord's disciples???

Reactions: IanLC

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
The Barrd said:
Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Did you catch that last bit?

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Jesus seemed to think that His disciples would be recognizable by their love.

Each one of us ought to be asking ourselves....do others see the love in us? Are we recognizable as the Lord's disciples???
Amen Sister! Love is one of the fruit of the Holy Spirit! One can not say that they love God and hate their brother! (1 John 4:20)

Reactions: Angelina