What makes someone a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Is being a christian merely about showing up in church on Sundays? Is it offering up tithes? Is a Christian someone who is religious, is belief in Christ merely caused by the fear in the consequences of sins? What makes someone a Christian? What do you think?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Dear brother davidnelson ~ you have a right to your opinion. Please voice that opinion here without drawing traffic away from this forum.

Bless you!

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Yeah... I really shouldn't do that... Oops...

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2 Corinthians 13:5

Is being a christian merely about showing up in church on Sundays? Is it offering up tithes? Is a Christian someone who is religious, is belief in Christ merely caused by the fear in the consequences of sins? What makes someone a Christian? What do you think? Examine yourself, are you a true Christian? Let me know in the comments.
Here is my opinion on what makes someone a "Christian".

A "Christian" had been thought by most people to be someone who is of high moral values and who is to be religious. Many consider themselves Christians simply because they are church attenders who attends services regularly. However, going to church, and being a good Samaritan does not automatically make someone a Christian.
A Christian confesses Jesus Christ as Lord. A Christian is someone who have faith in Christ and trust in his work, including his death and resurrection on the cross as the payment for the sins of men. A Christian is saved from the consequences of sins not by his own good doings, but by Christ, and his mercy and grace. A Christian is someone who received Christ and his gifts, to be the children of God.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 1:12

A Christian follows and obey Christ. Just as Christ had freely given unto us his love and the gifts of God, the Holy Spirit. A Christian too, must love others and freely give others the gifts of God.
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Matthew 10:8

More importantly, a Christian must obey Christ, and live by the every Word of God. Christians will understand the teachings and way of life in the Scriptures and will strive to live by them. In the gospel of St. Matthew, a lawyer from the Pharisees asked Jesus what is the great commandment in the law. In which, Jesus said unto him:
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matthew 22:37-40

A Christian, of course, must obey and love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and love thy neighbor as thyself. A Christian must love everyone, even their enemies. What good will you get if you hate your enemies? God is kind and merciful even to the ungrateful and wicked, a Christian too must follow.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
​Matthew 5:44

A Christian is truly born-again. A Christian is someone who responds to God's calling, repents of his sins, is baptized, receives God's Holy Spirit and lives as Jesus lived.
The Bible is very clear on the necessity for a Christian to be born-again. Born-again Christians are born-again into a new spiritual life through the Holy Spirit. Christians will never continue to sin without feeling the guilt it brings. However, it does not means a Christian will not sin, we all can fall into sin. But when a Christian sin, the Holy Spirit corrects and will train Christians into the righteousness of Christ. ​
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remained in him: and he cannot sin , because he is born of God.
1 John 3:9
For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14

This is what I believe, and it is what the holy spirit had lead me to believe, as a Christian, it is not about pleasing other people, it is not about attending church on Sundays, it is not all that. It is about forming a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; to love him. It is about loving the Lord thy God and loving others as thyself. It is to be born-again, it is to trust and obey in the Lord; It is to have faith in the Lord our God. We are all part of God's loving family.
My prayer is that you too may be born again and become part of God’s family. If you haven't ask Jesus to come into your life yet, then ask now - it's free. By a simple prayer of faith, ask God to enter your heart. Jesus knows you and love you, what matters the most to him is you!

“Dear Lord Jesus,
I know I am a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead. I trust and follow you as my Lord and Savior. Lord, enter my heart with your Holy Spirit and guide me.
In your name, Amen.”

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Christian is just a title for people that put their hope in Jesus. People may use it even if the foundation for that hope is insecure.

You can claim to be a Christian and not be saved. However all who are saved will confess to be christian. Perhaps there is some nut that focuses on the religious connotation of the word Christian and refuses to identify with it. They need to somehow avoid denying their Lord if asked their religion.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Hi Iforrest,

"Christian is just a title for people that put their hope in Jesus." Maybe, my post title should go by: "What makes a Christian saved?".

--- Sightly out topic ----
I create D-NN.CO to spread the gospel to the needy. As a teenager and a young believer I am not quite "well-versed". So... I would like to ask you guys to correct me if there's any mistakes in the article.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Your experience with christians may be different than mine. If all christians live their faith where your from then you would generally assume christians are saved.

So it is a matter of perspective. I wonder what God's opinon is, that is the only one that matters to me.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My response would be:

"A Christian is a disciple of Jesus Christ." There is no such thing as a disciple of Jesus who is not saved.

How does someone become a disciple? I think the Bible spells this out fairly clearly...

[SIZE=16pt]1. Hear the Gospel[/SIZE]
· 1 Thessalonians 2:15–16
· Romans 10:14

[SIZE=16pt]2. Believe (implies continuous belief)[/SIZE]
· John 6:28–29
· John 3:16

[SIZE=16pt]3. [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]Repent[/SIZE]
· Acts 3:19–20
· Luke 24:45–47

[SIZE=16pt]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]Confess Christ as Lord[/SIZE]
· Romans 10:9
· 1 Timothy 6:12

[SIZE=16pt]5. [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]Be Baptized[/SIZE]
· Matthew 28:18–20
· Acts 2:37–39
· Acts 22:16
· Colossians 2:12
· 1 Peter 3:21

Reactions: Born_Again

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
Your experience with christians may be different than mine. If all christians live their faith where your from then you would generally assume christians are saved.

So it is a matter of perspective. I wonder what God's opinon is, that is the only one that matters to me.
I have no intent on slamming a denom, but having been born and raised RC, I can attest that most RC call themselves Christian, when in FACT, they are not. I sure wasn't, until I got saved. Being a Christian, is NOT just believing in the Judeo/Christian God. It is accepting Jesus as your saviour and believing he is God.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
heretoeternity said:
You omitted the most important part ...Matthew 14.15 Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments"..
"More importantly, a Christian must obey Christ, and live by the every Word of God. Christians will understand the teachings and way of life in the Scriptures and will strive to live by them. In the gospel of St. Matthew, a lawyer from the Pharisees asked Jesus what is the great commandment in the law. In which, Jesus said unto him:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Matthew 22:37-40"

B

brakelite

A Christian is someone who by the grace and mercy of God is growing and maturing into the fullness of the character of Christ.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
davidnelson said:
"More importantly, a Christian must obey Christ, and live by the every Word of God. Christians will understand the teachings and way of life in the Scriptures and will strive to live by them. In the gospel of St. Matthew, a lawyer from the Pharisees asked Jesus what is the great commandment in the law. In which, Jesus said unto him:

Matthew 22:37-40"
This is the walk of faith, not BEING a Christian. Paul shows in Rom 10:8-11, what becoming a Christian entails, and that does NOT mean being perfect, as the Apostles themselves clearly demonstrated.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
"Christians will never continue to sin without feeling the guilt it brings. However, it does not means a Christian will not sin, we all can fall into sin. But when a Christian sin, the Holy Spirit corrects and will train Christians into the righteousness of Christ. ​"

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
davidnelson said:
"Christians will never continue to sin without feeling the guilt it brings. However, it does not means a Christian will not sin, we all can fall into sin. But when a Christian sin, the Holy Spirit corrects and will train Christians into the righteousness of Christ. ​"
Even an atheist can feel guilty when they know they've done something wrong...one does not need to be a Christian for that.

But only a Christian can love as Jesus loves.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
davidnelson said:
Yes, confess means to agree with God when we DO sin. As Jesus died for ALL sin, we need only acknowledge it, not ask for forgiveness.
The Word says He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleans us.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Even an atheist can feel guilty when they know they've done something wrong...one does not need to be a Christian for that.

But only a Christian can love as Jesus loves.
I'd be impressed if an atheist felt guilt. A true atheist is almost like God hating robot. Even if they felt guilt, they wouldn't tell anyone. If they feel guilt, that's accountability. The don't feel as though they have to answer to anyone. Its part of their contention with God. But I digress.