What makes us One?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi to all! :)

There are many things that bring people together in an external way...there is our culture, nationality, political leanings, interests, hobbies... etc. That is on one level.

Then there are things that are external things that penetrate more deeply into us ...things that are more attached to our emotions and our love, like our spouses, our children, even our own lives.

Most believers regard their commitment to Christ somewhere in between the 2 above levels of attachment...yet, we are to hate even what is most dear to us for the sake of Christ.

So we have a problem with making eternal commitments since that is not natural to us ....seeing that we love with our own love. We tend to love what we can see, feel and know by our experience through our carnal senses.

There is no wonder that there is very little unity in the Body of Christ if we are trying to connect on a temporal external level. We are to forsake ALL in this world to be One with Christ.

What about our beliefs? Again, beliefs are not the same as NT faith. Faith does miracles...beliefs are just opinions about things. Actually faith is what brings us into the eternal reality (by grace)...away from EVERYTHING that is temporal...including everything we hold as dear to us.

So then we are not One in the Body because we are not One with God. Instead we look for what is external and transitory....or what is comfortable for us...to dictate to us how close we get to others. Again the closeness we seek is most often based on human love...not the love of Christ.

And all this is normal....before we go to the cross.

But is it enough to identify ourselves as being in Christ?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes us One?

The short answer is: Jesus

He prayed that we would be one with Him like He was one with the Father. So the answer to what makes us One, is really a question of what makes us one with Jesus - and the answer is the same thing that make Him one with the Father. So what was that?

Jesus explained that He did and said only what the Father told Him.

That makes sense, doesn't it? I mean if Jesus was listening close enough to the Father that even everything He said He got from the Father that would make Him One with the Father. Indeed, if Jesus only said what the Father told Him then the words He said would be from the Father as opposed to Him. That would make Him one with the Father.

Now Jesus explained, which would mean that the Father explain through Jesus, that His sheep hear His voice. So, while we are obviously not the perfect person, like Jesus, we could certainly listen to Him and try to do what He asks of us. We could at listen try to listen, right. Doing that would tend to make us One with God, and if we all did that then it would make us all One, as in One with God.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Op: What makes us one?

We Are Baptized By The ONE Spirit Into The ONE Body,
Christ, Seated In Heaven. There,
we Are All ONE,
"members ONE of another," Eternally In HIM.

On earth, we definitely see a Totally Different picture, Correct?
Is There not A Bible Answer To all the Confusion That Divides us up?
Can some of us really be ONE (united) on this earth?:

Bible Answer To Confusing church Bewilderment?

GRACE And Peace...

stephen64

May 23, 2022
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. John 17:20-23

The common link in the above is the Holy Spirit, only He can bring us to be as one in complete unity:
Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Phil2:2