What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol! Jesus said that His sheep know His voice. It never ceases to amaze me how Christians are willing to think that we can hear the devil speak to us, but not God!

So, you are for comparing what we "hear" with God's written Word?? I agree with this 100%, and I've said as much. But you don't seem to put that much stock in His written Word, so I'm surprised that you're saying this.
If you are 100% sure you're hearing from Jesus, why would you need to compare it to the Bible?

Then here again, you're saying that in certain instances, we don't really need God's written Word, but we really do because people trust is as authority. You seem confused.
I suggest you read my posts more carefully. Who can claim to have a 100% pure heart? Only such a person would not need a Bible. Are you deliberately misinterpreting my posts, trying to annoy me, or is something else going on?

I believe that we will need God's written Word until we are released from these bodies and we see Jesus face-to-face (based on what Paul said in 1 Cor 13). Then we will not need the written Word or the gifts of the Spirit any longer because then we will know fully even as we are fully known.
I have seen Jesus face to face; but even so, I would say I saw him "as he is" in fact. I have also been outside of my body. Still I would not claim he has yet appeared to me "the second time" as mentioned in Hebrews. I still find the Bible profitable since I do not claim to be perfect.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ugh, you're still confusing the paper the words are printed on with the words themselves!!

I don't know anything about this "new tongue" of which you are speaking. Paul talks about the gift of tongues.

I would say that a prophetic word (delivered by someone with the gift of prophecy) never rises to the level of God's written Word and should always be compared to what God has said in the Bible.
Do not confuse speaking in other languages with speaking with "new" tongues.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This is a reversal of the Adamic fall. Surely you're familiar with how Isaiah's lips were purified. Only God can "correct" the "old tongue."

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Reactions: amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are 100% sure you're hearing from Jesus, why would you need to compare it to the Bible?
We are to test everything we hear. We are told to test the spirits in 1 John 4:1.

I suggest you read my posts more carefully. Who can claim to have a 100% pure heart? Only such a person would not need a Bible. Are you deliberately misinterpreting my posts, trying to annoy me, or is something else going on?

I must admit, I'm in a bit of a hurry. And NO, and I am not trying to annoy you! Don't assume the worst of me. But you do sound like you're contradicting yourself.

I have seen Jesus face to face; but even so, I would say I saw him "as he is" in fact. I have also been outside of my body. Still I would not claim he has yet appeared to me "the second time" as mentioned in Hebrews. I still find the Bible profitable since I do not claim to be perfect.

By seeing Jesus face-to-face, I mean when we are done with these bodies (earthen vessels) and are changed in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye.... (1 Cor 15:52). I don't believe that we will ever be perfect enough in a sense during this earth life so that we do not need God's written Word. While our flesh (sin nature) doesn't rule over us any longer unless we fail to count it as crucified, it still exists. And as Paul said, we see in a mirror dimly....

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, what counts as "fulfilled" seems very human-centric to me. God frequently works in ways we don't expect.
If someone says God told him that something will happen by a certain date and it doesn't happen, what can the explanation be? We can't believe God was mistaken or changed His Mind. That means the prophet made a mistake -- either he heard wrong or he was not hearing from God.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone says God told him that something will happen by a certain date and it doesn't happen, what can the explanation be? We can't believe God was mistaken or changed His Mind. That means the prophet made a mistake -- either he heard wrong or he was not hearing from God.
I'll use an example to illustrate what I mean:
A prophecy is given that a king will be born and save the Jews.
Folks wait around for a king-- you know that big obvious important person that wears a literal crown of gold, to save the Jews from the oppression of Romans and cast them out.
... no such king ever comes. In fact, in 70 AD the opposite happens: Jerusalem is attacked, people scattered, holy sites destroyed etc. People mark things "prophecy not fulfilled".

By looking for their idea of things fulfilled, they completely missed a poor carpenter's son (the true King of Kings) sent to save the entire world.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you write such things? I did not compare them that way. I was using the travel brochure as an example.
Your Bible can read your mind? Your Bible can separate soul and spirit? Do you know what this verse means? If you can tell me that your soul and spirit have been divided, if you can tell me that soul and spirit have been separated from the flesh, then you can claim to know what that passage means. I can so claim. I also asked you elsewhere about sitting in heavenly places. I can claim to know about that too, having traveled in the spirit to heavenly places while my body was left behind on the earth.

What you are missing is how the saint can speak with a "new tongue." That is always done aloud the way Jesus spoke to the wind and told to be still.

Paul is talking about a lower variation of prophecy. Not all prophecy rises to the standard of being "Scripture."

This kind of prophecy can be incomplete the way the prophet who warned Paul was right to a certain extent.

Thanks Giuliana....some thoughts there....some work there.
One of the reasons I am here, to see some insightful thoughts.
The spirit....the mind....the flesh......the trick is to get them to work as a team.
The people that are successful have their own way.
As I read your posts here I thought how good it would be sitting around a fire with Peter and Paul, wine in hand and reading your thoughts. I could see them nodding their heads on some things.
They were probably wondering about the other Apostles, did they know what they were doing....Acts accounts for a few....but it seems that many had traveled off. Tradition suggests this to. I know they had a concern for standardization of the Gospel, so as we sat around that campfire I am sure they were talking about what the other Apostles were preaching. We speculate because most of the twelve Apostles were not prolific writers. Thank God some of Paul's letters to the churches survived.

They are thinking that His return could be in days. Never a thought of millenniums. I am sure that Peter and Paul felt the best way to deliver the Gospel was through a person full of the Holy Spirit. And that is what we hope for now. True that Christ never said to write anything down and never suggested the Temple was His or that they should build anything to Him.

As time went on, all recognized to importance of preserving the Words of Christ and the Christian story on paper. So how they did that, we do not know for sure. All from memory? The Gospels, the concept of the Q document could be true because the Words are similar but seemed to be written from different perspectives. And still they waited for Christ to return. Now Peter and Paul are gone and Christ did not return.

One of the rules I go by is Perspective, Context, and Motion

Deuteronomy 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Revelation 22:20 "He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen.

So by this rule, Revelation and the "Last days" beliefs fall into question, well more than question, it did not happen. So over the 2000 years the speculation of why has been many. I have my own thoughts....I categorize depths of my own beliefs. I consider the possibility that something happened that postponed things. I suspect that maybe there were things that we needed to learn...oh boy! What is love? The love taught in the Bible, did not make an impression of them...slavery, subordinate status of women, witch-hunts, inquisitions...etc It was nearly 1800 years later that the concept of even platonic love started to sink in. It has always escaped me....all that time....did it never dawn on the sons that mom was human.

Prophecy has always been a risky business. both making the prophecy and interpreting the prophecy.
Around 700 year before Christ the prophets were says the Terrible and great day of the Lord was at hand...One big hand.
They prophesied a human warlord king whose kingdom would last forever. What they got was so different that they could not comprehend or cope with it....a peaceful God....a king....that died. So it does not matter if it is the Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, or the Seventh Day Adventists....Prophecy has been a disappointment to them. Lesson, best not to prophesize about the future. It could be like looking into a whirlpool of possibilities.

Either way the Bible was a necessity...no matter what it was written by man...all we can hope for is an honest attempt to be accurate. And mostly I believe that is what we got. But the whole, too many fingers in the pie, thing, is also evident. The politics involved is staggering. So part of my lifelong study has been to go back as far as we can and uncover the fallacies and promote the truth. The good thing is that older texts are being discovered all the time. And the issues are not just the Bible, tradition can be a Bible of sorts, traditions teach society, and it can also be false.

The desire for truth, whatever that truth may be has been my mission and ministry.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The desire for truth, whatever that truth may be has been my mission and ministry.
Whatever you find that contradicts the Bible is NOT truth! It NEVER will be truth!

We don't have to guess at what truth is. We don't have to chase it down. God tells us the truth. If we go searching for truth beyond what He has revealed, we will find something, but it won't be truth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever you find that contradicts the Bible is NOT truth! It NEVER will be truth!

We don't have to guess at what truth is. We don't have to chase it down. God tells us the truth. If we go searching for truth beyond what He has revealed, we will find something, but it won't be truth.

ok

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank God some of Paul's letters to the churches survived.
I could do without some of his writings. If you look around this forum, you find people still debating his letters because he's not very clear at times; and sometimes even seems to contradict himself. Having studied Judaism, I think I know what he's driving at at times; but how he explains things leaves a lot to be desired. He says, for example, in one place that he establishes the law; and in another he wonders why people still believe they're under it. I think I understand that; but it's clear to me many Christians do not.

Then look around the forum again. We have a whole new set of "laws" put together by people by collecting "prohibitions" from the New Testament as well as inferred prohibitions like should Christians celebrate Halloween? The Apostles said not to eat food offered to idols; Paul said it was okay depending on the situation.

They are thinking that His return could be in days. Never a thought of millenniums.
I think Peter did when he quoted the Old Testament that a thousand years is as a day. Most of Genesis can be read as a prophecy and is by some Jews. I'd say the "Fourth Day" was about to end. "The night was coming," as Jesus said.

I am sure that Peter and Paul felt the best way to deliver the Gospel was through a person full of the Holy Spirit. And that is what we hope for now. True that Christ never said to write anything down and never suggested the Temple was His or that they should build anything to Him.

As time went on, all recognized to importance of preserving the Words of Christ and the Christian story on paper. So how they did that, we do not know for sure. All from memory? The Gospels, the concept of the Q document could be true because the Words are similar but seemed to be written from different perspectives. And still they waited for Christ to return. Now Peter and Paul are gone and Christ did not return.
He did not come the way most people interpret the Scriptures. I say he did come, but not "with observation."

One of the rules I go by is Perspective, Context, and Motion

Deuteronomy 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Revelation 22:20 "He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen.

So by this rule, Revelation and the "Last days" beliefs fall into question, well more than question, it did not happen. So over the 2000 years the speculation of why has been many. I have my own thoughts....I categorize depths of my own beliefs. I consider the possibility that something happened that postponed things. I suspect that maybe there were things that we needed to learn...oh boy! What is love? The love taught in the Bible, did not make an impression of them...slavery, subordinate status of women, witch-hunts, inquisitions...etc It was nearly 1800 years later that the concept of even platonic love started to sink in. It has always escaped me....all that time....did it never dawn on the sons that mom was human.
If people can't believe Revelation 1:1, they are wasting time reading the rest of the book.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

I remember when I was still a young child hearing the minister reading a passage and saying the disciples had expected Jesus to return but they were mistaken. That was his explanation for it. I knew as a little child that couldn't be right. If they were wrong about it then, why would I trust them at all? People read the Bible and say, "That never happened" because the pictures they get in their minds are not right.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

Prophecy has always been a risky business. both making the prophecy and interpreting the prophecy.
Around 700 year before Christ the prophets were says the Terrible and great day of the Lord was at hand...One big hand.
They prophesied a human warlord king whose kingdom would last forever. What they got was so different that they could not comprehend or cope with it....a peaceful God....a king....that died. So it does not matter if it is the Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, or the Seventh Day Adventists....Prophecy has been a disappointment to them. Lesson, best not to prophesize about the future. It could be like looking into a whirlpool of possibilities.
I haven't spent much time on those Old Testament prophecies; but my impression is that they knew prophecy would cease soon within Israel, and those prophecies were given as templates for later.

Either way the Bible was a necessity...no matter what it was written by man...all we can hope for is an honest attempt to be accurate. And mostly I believe that is what we got. But the whole, too many fingers in the pie, thing, is also evident. The politics involved is staggering. So part of my lifelong study has been to go back as far as we can and uncover the fallacies and promote the truth. The good thing is that older texts are being discovered all the time. And the issues are not just the Bible, tradition can be a Bible of sorts, traditions teach society, and it can also be false.

I think some dots need to be connected when we read that John was "caught up" to Heaven when he heard a "trumpet." Connect some dots too with Moses going "up the mountain" when the trumpet was sounding.

Christianity has a few errors that are so serious, even some of what Jesus said cannot be understood.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You tempt me to start a thread about the book of Acts.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll use an example to illustrate what I mean:
A prophecy is given that a king will be born and save the Jews.
Folks wait around for a king-- you know that big obvious important person that wears a literal crown of gold, to save the Jews from the oppression of Romans and cast them out.
... no such king ever comes. In fact, in 70 AD the opposite happens: Jerusalem is attacked, people scattered, holy sites destroyed etc. People mark things "prophecy not fulfilled".

By looking for their idea of things fulfilled, they completely missed a poor carpenter's son (the true King of Kings) sent to save the entire world.
Some prophecies are difficult to grasp; and we sometimes don't know if they are literal or spiritual. I mark it down as fulfilled even if there are people who think Daniel's prophecy wasn't fulfilled. When Smith forecast a Temple in Missouri, I find it hard to interpret that figuratively.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some prophecies are difficult to grasp; and we sometimes don't know if they are literal or spiritual. I mark it down as fulfilled even if there are people who think Daniel's prophecy wasn't fulfilled. When Smith forecast a Temple in Missouri, I find it hard to interpret that figuratively.
I get that. I was just expressing why I personally don't put much stock into "was or was not this prophecy fulfilled" because it's so hard to guess/understand about what form that fulfillment will take.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get that. I was just expressing why I personally don't put much stock into "was or was not this prophecy fulfilled" because it's so hard to guess/understand about what form that fulfillment will take.
How could anyone apply that rule from Deuteronomy? What's to understand about that Temple being built in Missouri in a certain time frame?

Let me go searching since I think there's another prophecy that didn't come true. I think it was about the Civil War.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find a far better method for determining is a person is God's servant is to ask Him.
I could not trust that method since I see so many people claiming to be prophets and they all have followers who are convinced God is speaking through them -- and they contradict each other. How can they all be right then?

Cindy Jacobs comes to mind. She has a host of failed prophecies; I don't know why anyone pays her any mind. Here she is predicting that Kim Jong Il would be removed as a dictator in 2018.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could do without some of his writings. If you look around this forum, you find people still debating his letters because he's not very clear at times; and sometimes even seems to contradict himself. Having studied Judaism, I think I know what he's driving at at times; but how he explains things leaves a lot to be desired. He says, for example, in one place that he establishes the law; and in another he wonders why people still believe they're under it. I think I understand that; but it's clear to me many Christians do not.

Then look around the forum again. We have a whole new set of "laws" put together by people by collecting "prohibitions" from the New Testament as well as inferred prohibitions like should Christians celebrate Halloween? The Apostles said not to eat food offered to idols; Paul said it was okay depending on the situation.

I think Peter did when he quoted the Old Testament that a thousand years is as a day. Most of Genesis can be read as a prophecy and is by some Jews. I'd say the "Fourth Day" was about to end. "The night was coming," as Jesus said.

He did not come the way most people interpret the Scriptures. I say he did come, but not "with observation."

If people can't believe Revelation 1:1, they are wasting time reading the rest of the book.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

I remember when I was still a young child hearing the minister reading a passage and saying the disciples had expected Jesus to return but they were mistaken. That was his explanation for it. I knew as a little child that couldn't be right. If they were wrong about it then, why would I trust them at all? People read the Bible and say, "That never happened" because the pictures they get in their minds are not right.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

I haven't spent much time on those Old Testament prophecies; but my impression is that they knew prophecy would cease soon within Israel, and those prophecies were given as templates for later.

I think some dots need to be connected when we read that John was "caught up" to Heaven when he heard a "trumpet." Connect some dots too with Moses going "up the mountain" when the trumpet was sounding.

Christianity has a few errors that are so serious, even some of what Jesus said cannot be understood.

On the topic of Paul
He was addressing the most complicated theological issues and concepts of the day. Don't see anyone else even coming close to the clarity of his explanations.
Following his letters, it is clear that his own understanding of Christianity was evolving.
If suddenly we found that what you and I wrote to each other was taken as scripture....we might have been more careful what we wrote. Much of what we have is letters to various churches. One sided communications.

The points you are saying about Peter...a thousand years is as a day...and...I say he did come, but not "with observation." God works in mysterious ways....the inerrant Word of God....Circle talk that I never learned. You will have to try that one on some one other than me. Most of the Apostles, those that walked with Him for three years, understood they were living in the last days....they are not even talking months or years....much less centuries and millenniums. A general understanding by all. 2000 years....I am betting on something caused that. Teacher....Apostles....If you are a teacher and most of your students fail to understand. They are not going to blame the students. I believe the students...the Apostles understood correctly....I believe something changed. Of course that is just my belief....Either way the time is ticking....There are many understandings that need explanation for young people...

Revelation...I have no problems with Revelation. But the things told in revelation...did not happen. If it happened in such away that no one could tell....it does not matter.
Not that Christ will not return.....He will return, when He wants, the way He wants.
Being that I am a person with a sense of humor...I hope I get to see people running up to Him with their Bibles complaining that He did not return the way it was written in the Bible.

Old Testament prophecies.....It is difficult to do, both ends of it. Prophecy and interpretation.. Prophecies of Christ....did something change between the testaments that made it so a human Messiah could not get the Job done. Good question. One thing is clear, the Jews were expecting a human warlord king, that would take on their oppressors. It does not matter what Jewish writings you find or where....even pottery...the theme....My daddy is going to beat your daddy up!

If they would have thought the Messiah was going to be a God...there probably would have been a whole book wrote on it...the largest in the Old Testament. Every prophet would have been on the mountain tops screaming it....It would have been the main focus of the prophetic books. Religious hymns proclaiming it...and again all over their pottery. A peaceful God! A peaceful God that would eventually invite the Pagans into their religion!!!! Don't think their reaction to that would have been good.

Christ had His hands full, He did not make it clear to everyone that He was a God....Son of God....He tried to keep most His miracles secret. He knew how the Jews would react to that. He tried to fulfill the prophecies where he could...got a donkey to ride into to Jerusalem. A lot was not told or explained because if it got out, His ministry would have been much shorter. Either the Jews or the Romans would get Him. Romans did not take it to kindly for people proclaiming themselves kings.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could not trust that method since I see so many people claiming to be prophets and they all have followers who are convinced God is speaking through them -- and they contradict each other. How can they all be right then?
Somebody claiming to be a prophet / servant of God doesn't hold much weight for me. Rather, if God tells me someone is His servant, that matters.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You tempt me to start a thread about the book of Acts.
No, I think it's the serpent who is tempting you--both you and GH--to disparage God's Holy Bible.

Romans 3:4--...Let God be found true though every human being is false and a liar, as it is written, That You may be justified and shown to be upright in what You say, and prevail when You are judged [by sinful men].

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I think it's the serpent who is tempting you--both you and GH--to disparage God's Holy Bible.

Romans 3:4--...Let God be found true though every human being is false and a liar, as it is written, That You may be justified and shown to be upright in what You say, and prevail when You are judged [by sinful men].

God is not afraid of the truth.

Reactions: Giuliano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of my favorite explanations for how they took Christ’s name out of the Bible.

The name Jesus is derived from the Hebrew name Yeshua, which is based on the Semetic root, y-š-ʕ (Hebrew: ישע‎), meaning "to deliver; to rescue." Yeshua, and its longer form, Yehoshua, were both in common use by the Jews during the Second Temple Period and many Jewish religious figures bear the name, notably Jesus in the New Testament and Joshua in the Hebrew Bible

They admit that Yeshua is His Hebrew name….guess what….He is Hebrew and that is His name. What a sad attempt to deceive!

many Jewish religious figures bear the name, notably Jesus in the New Testament. No one in the biblical era is named Jesus! Certainly not many. lol

Yeshua, you can see His name in English.…
Yeshua, you can spell His name in English….
Yeshua, you can say His name in English….
And if you look up the pronunciation of His name it is Yeshua…a little e tang on the Y.
Nothing close to Jesus.

And it is Yeshua that is a common name in the OT and NT, Jeshua in the J Bibles.

I call them the J Bibles….why did they change all the Y’s for persons, places, or things to J’s…all of them. There is no good explanation for that. Most likely it was a fad… fashionable. The letter J first came out in the 1400’s and by the 1600’s J’s were common. The King’s name started with a J…James. Whether this is another reason or not….it is as good as any reason, ….with no reason being good enough, so they made over 885 modifications to the NT scriptures. Oh and by the way….the early KJV’s were not J Bibles. An earlier effort to remove God the Father’s name remove the Tetragrammaton YHWH from the Old Testament and replace it with LORD OR GOD. This meant more than 20,000 thousand modifications to the OT. God said not to use His name in vain…. not silence it forever….only Satan would want God’s name silenced….only Satan would want God the Father’s name and God the Son’s name removed from the Bible…..Do you think Satan would want a Bible that would be around the world to have these names in it. Or would you think he would like to remove all that power from the scriptures….

And I have not even gotten to the word Messiah vs Christ and sentence structure that had to modified to use Christ.

Last edited: