What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of my favorite explanations for how they took Christ’s name out of the Bible.

The name Jesus is derived from the Hebrew name Yeshua, which is based on the Semetic root, y-š-ʕ (Hebrew: ישע‎), meaning "to deliver; to rescue." Yeshua, and its longer form, Yehoshua, were both in common use by the Jews during the Second Temple Period and many Jewish religious figures bear the name, notably Jesus in the New Testament and Joshua in the Hebrew Bible

They admit that Yeshua is His Hebrew name….guess what….He is Hebrew and that is His name. What a sad attempt to deceive!

many Jewish religious figures bear the name, notably Jesus in the New Testament. No one in the biblical era named Jesus! lol

Yeshua, you can see His name in English.…
Yeshua, you can spell His name in English….
Yeshua, you can say His name in English….
And if you look up the pronunciation of His name it is Yeshua…a little e tang on the Y.
Nothing close to Jesus.

And it is Yeshua that is a common name in the OT and NT, Jeshua in the J Bibles.

I call them the J Bibles….why did they change all the Y’s for persons, places, or things to J’s…all of them. There is no good explanation for that. Most likely it was a fad… fashionable. The letter J first came out in the 1400’s and by the 1600’s J’s were common. The King’s name started with a J…James. Whether this is another reason or not….it is as good as any reason, ….with no reason being good enough, so they made over 885 modifications to the NT scriptures. Oh and by the way….the early KJV’s were not J Bibles. An earlier effort to remove God the Father’s name remove the Tetragrammaton YHWH from the Old Testament and replace it with LORD OR GOD. This meant more than 20,000 thousand modifications to the OT. God said not to use His name in vain…. not silence it forever….only Satan would want God’s name silenced….only Satan would want God the Father’s name and God the Son’s name removed from the Bible…..Do you think Satan would want a Bible that would be around the world to have these names in it. Or would you think he would like to remove all that power from the scriptures….

And I have not even gotten to the word Messiah vs Christ and sentence structure that had to modified to use Christ.

This article explains why the name "Jesus" is used in English translations of the Bible. I don't have any problem calling our Lord "Jesus."
If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus?

Question: "If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus?"

Answer:
Some people claim that our Lord should not be referred to as “Jesus.” Instead, we should only use the name “Yeshua.” Some even go so far as to say that calling Him “Jesus” is blasphemous. Others go into great detail about how the name “Jesus” is unbiblical because the letter J is a modern invention and there was no letter J in Greek or Hebrew.

Yeshua
is the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Joshua.” Iesous is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Jesus.” Thus, the names “Joshua” and “Jesus” are essentially the same; both are English pronunciations of the Hebrew and Greek names for our Lord. (For examples of how the two names are interchangeable, see Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 in the KJV. In both cases, the word Jesusrefers to the Old Testament character Joshua.)

Changing the language of a word does not affect the meaning of the word. We call a bound and covered set of pages a “book.” In German, it becomes a buch. In Spanish, it is a libro; in French, a livre. The language changes, but the object itself does not. As Shakespeare said, “That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet” (Romeo and Juliet, II:i). In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese) without changing His nature. In any language, His name means “The Lord Is Salvation.”

As for the controversy over the letter J, it is much ado about nothing. It is true that the languages in which the Bible was written had no letter J. But that doesn’t mean the Bible never refers to “Jerusalem.” And it doesn’t mean we cannot use the spelling “Jesus.” If a person speaks and reads English, it is acceptable for him to spell things in an English fashion. Spellings can change even within a language: Americans write “Savior,” while the British write “Saviour.” The addition of a u (or its subtraction, depending on your point of view) has nothing to do with whom we’re talking about. Jesus is the Savior, and He is the Saviour. Jesus and Yeshuah and Iesus are all referring to the same Person.

The Bible nowhere commands us to only speak or write His name in Hebrew or Greek. It never even hints at such an idea. Rather, when the message of the gospel was being proclaimed on the Day of Pentecost, the apostles spoke in the languages of the “Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene” (Acts 2:9–10). In the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus was made known to every language group in a way they could readily understand. Spelling did not matter.

We refer to Him as “Jesus” because, as English-speaking people, we know of Him through English translations of the Greek New Testament. Scripture does not value one language over another, and it gives no indication that we must resort to Hebrew when addressing the Lord. The command is to “call on the name of the Lord,” with the promise that we “shall be saved” (Acts 2:21; Joel 2:32). Whether we call on Him in English, Korean, Hindi, or Hebrew, the result is the same: the Lord is salvation.

Source: If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus? | GotQuestions.org

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This article explains that "Christ" is used in English translations for "Messiah." Again, I have no problem with using the English word that comes from the Greek. If any of you would prefer to see Messiah used in the NT, the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible) does this in some verses. I've also noticed that the AMPC (Amplified Classic) does the same.

What does Messiah mean?

Question: "What does Messiah mean?"

Answer:
Messiah comes from the Hebrew word mashiach and means “anointed one” or “chosen one.” The Greek equivalent is the word Christos or, in English, Christ. The name “Jesus Christ” is the same as “Jesus the Messiah.” In biblical times, anointing someone with oil was a sign that God was consecrating or setting apart that person for a particular role. Thus, an “anointed one” was someone with a special, God-ordained purpose.

In the Old Testament, people were anointed for the positions of prophet, priest, and king. God told Elijah to anoint Elisha to succeed him as Israel’s prophet (1 Kings 19:16). Aaron was anointed as the first high priest of Israel (Leviticus 8:12). Samuel anointed both Saul and David as kings of Israel (1 Samuel 10:1; 16:13). All of these men held “anointed” positions. But the Old Testament predicted a coming Deliverer, chosen by God to redeem Israel (Isaiah 42:1; 61:1–3). This Deliverer the Jews called the Messiah.

Jesus of Nazareth was and is the prophesied Messiah (Luke 4:17–21; John 4:25–26). Throughout the New Testament, we see proof that Jesus is the Chosen One: “These [miracles] are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name” (John 20:31). We also hear testimonies that Jesus is “the Messiah, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16). The ultimate evidence that Jesus is indeed the promised Messiah, the Anointed One, is His resurrection from the dead. Acts 10:39–43 is an eyewitness testimony to His resurrection and the fact that “he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.”

Jesus fulfills the role of Prophet, Priest, and King, which is further evidence to His being the Messiah. He is a prophet, because He embodied and preached the Word of God (see John 1:1–18; 14:24; and Luke 24:19); a priest, because His death atones for our sins and reconciles us to the Father (see Hebrews 2:17; 4:14); and a king, because after His resurrection God gave all authority to Him (see John 18:36; Ephesians 1:20–23; and Revelation 19:16).

The Jews of Jesus’ day expected the Messiah to redeem Israel by overthrowing the rule of the Romans and establishing an earthly kingdom (see Acts 1:6). It wasn’t until after Jesus’ resurrection that His disciples finally began to understand what the prophecies in the Old Testament really meant the Messiah would do (see Luke 24:25–27). The Messiah was “anointed” first to deliver His people spiritually; that is, to redeem them from sin (John 8:31–36). He accomplished this salvation through His death and resurrection (John 12:32; John 3:16). Later, Jesus the Messiah will deliver His people from their physical enemies, when He sets up His Kingdom on the earth (see Isaiah 9:1–7).

Source: What does Messiah mean? | GotQuestions.org

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The written Torah was given to Israel for them to read after they did not want to hear the Voice of God themselves. We should not need books to know about God; and the only reason we do is because our hearts are not completely pure. David wrote of Israel's rejection of the Voice of God urging Israel in his day to hear it.

Psalm 95:7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.

Books are intermediaries just as priests are. They serve a purpose when we need them, but we also need to progress so we no longer need them. The heart must be made purer.

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

1 Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Reactions: Giuliano

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible--God's Word--is NOT just a "book." It is truth. God saw fit to direct men and inspire them to write what he wanted them to write. He did this for us because He loves us and wants us to know Him. He has revealed Himself in the Bible. It's His doing. I trust that He knows what he's doing!

Well, then, Christians will always need the Bible while we're in this skin, won't we? You're treading on dangerous ground.
Did the Word of God become a book... or did it become flesh?

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14

Reactions: Giuliano

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

You just quoted the Bible, which is in book form, saying this about "the making of many books." :) In fact, any Bible verse you quote was taken from the Book of books.

Of course, the main reason God gave us His written Word is so that we can know HIM. If we read and study the Bible and miss HIM, then we have missed the main reason that God has revealed Himself through language. Whether initially spoken or written, His truth has been recorded for us to enjoy.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This article explains why the name "Jesus" is used in English translations of the Bible. I don't have any problem calling our Lord "Jesus."

Answer:
Some people claim that our Lord should not be referred to as “Jesus.” Instead, we should only use the name “Yeshua.” Some even go so far as to say that calling Him “Jesus” is blasphemous. Others go into great detail about how the name “Jesus” is unbiblical because the letter J is a modern invention and there was no letter J in Greek or Hebrew.

Yeshua
is the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Joshua.” Iesous is the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew name, and its English spelling is “Jesus.” Thus, the names “Joshua” and “Jesus” are essentially the same; both are English pronunciations of the Hebrew and Greek names for our Lord. (For examples of how the two names are interchangeable, see Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 in the KJV. In both cases, the word Jesusrefers to the Old Testament character Joshua.)

Changing the language of a word does not affect the meaning of the word. We call a bound and covered set of pages a “book.” In German, it becomes a buch. In Spanish, it is a libro; in French, a livre. The language changes, but the object itself does not. As Shakespeare said, “That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet” (Romeo and Juliet, II:i). In the same way, we can refer to Jesus as “Jesus,” “Yeshua,” or “YehSou” (Cantonese) without changing His nature. In any language, His name means “The Lord Is Salvation.”

As for the controversy over the letter J, it is much ado about nothing. It is true that the languages in which the Bible was written had no letter J. But that doesn’t mean the Bible never refers to “Jerusalem.” And it doesn’t mean we cannot use the spelling “Jesus.” If a person speaks and reads English, it is acceptable for him to spell things in an English fashion. Spellings can change even within a language: Americans write “Savior,” while the British write “Saviour.” The addition of a u (or its subtraction, depending on your point of view) has nothing to do with whom we’re talking about. Jesus is the Savior, and He is the Saviour. Jesus and Yeshuah and Iesus are all referring to the same Person.

The Bible nowhere commands us to only speak or write His name in Hebrew or Greek. It never even hints at such an idea. Rather, when the message of the gospel was being proclaimed on the Day of Pentecost, the apostles spoke in the languages of the “Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene” (Acts 2:9–10). In the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus was made known to every language group in a way they could readily understand. Spelling did not matter.

We refer to Him as “Jesus” because, as English-speaking people, we know of Him through English translations of the Greek New Testament. Scripture does not value one language over another, and it gives no indication that we must resort to Hebrew when addressing the Lord. The command is to “call on the name of the Lord,” with the promise that we “shall be saved” (Acts 2:21; Joel 2:32). Whether we call on Him in English, Korean, Hindi, or Hebrew, the result is the same: the Lord is salvation.

And you think I have not seen these lame explanations before. No reason to translate Yeshua through the Greek, the Latin, the Haitian, German....blah blah
Yeshua is his name....when his mom called him to dinner it was Yeshua....she never heard the word Jesus unless someone sneezed. Jesus was not even a word in the 1400's Jesus is not translated from anything. Is there a religious sin, a religious crime, is there something called sacrilege....yes and take His name out of the Bible was the worst of all of it.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you think I have not seen these lame explanations before. Now reason to translate Yeshua through the Greek, the Latin, the Haitian, German....blah blah
Yeshua is his name....when his mom called him to dinner it was Yeshua....she never heard the word Jesus unless someone sneezed. Jesus was not even a word in the 1400's Jesus is not translated from anything. Is their a religious sin, a religious crime, is there something called sacrilege....yes and take His name out to the worst of all of it.

Well, I could say blah, blah, blah about what you're saying too. I've heard it all before.

I think that you're making issues out of non-issues, and for what? To discourage people from taking the Bible seriously when most of us could stand to spend more time in God's Word? When you stand before the throne of Jesus Christ, you will give an account for every idle word you speak (or write).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Answer:

Yeshua

There were Jews that changed their Hebrew names to Pagan names in the biblical era....Yeshua was not one of them. It does not take much to see the deception in trying to explain how they come up with Jesus. Any translation that intends to be accurate will go from the native language and go straight to English. No reason to run it through the mill of other languages.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just quoted the Bible, which is in book form, saying this about "the making of many books." :) In fact, any Bible verse you quote was taken from the Book of books.

Of course, the main reason God gave us His written Word is so that we can know HIM. If we read and study the Bible and miss HIM, then we have missed the main reason that God has revealed Himself through language. Whether initially spoken or written, His truth has been recorded for us to enjoy.
What Solomon wrote pertained to the carnal reading of anything. This would include the Bible when it is read with the wrong spirit. It is the Spirit, that is the Holy Spirit, that brings those words we read or hear out of scripture to Life. Without the Spirit they are and remain dead:

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were Jews that changed their Hebrew names to Pagan names in the biblical era....Yeshua was not one of them. It does not take much to see the deception in trying to explain how they come up with Jesus. Any translation that intends to be accurate will go from the native language and go straight to English. No reason to run it through the mill of other languages.
And you say all of this because you're a scholar in the Hebrew and Greek languages?? I'll bet you don't even speak Spanish. :p

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the Spirit, that is the Holy Spirit, that brings those words we read or hear out of scripture to Life. Without the Spirit they are and remain dead:
I agree with this, and I have said the same thing many times. However, the Holy Spirit cannot bring life to the words of the Bible unless we read or hear the words in the Bible.

Reactions: amadeus

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I could say blah, blah, blah about what you're saying too. I've heard it all before.

I think that you're making issues out of non-issues, and for what? To discourage people from taking the Bible seriously when most of us could stand to spend more time in God's Word? When you stand before the throne of Jesus Christ, you will give an account for every idle word you speak (or write).
A lesson of perspectives for the English teacher...You say I am criticizing the Bible. I say I am not only defending the scriptures but also God the Father and God the Son. Their names deserve to be in the Bible. And only one name can be called on for salvation. Who would want to remove that name from the Bible?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lesson of perspectives for the English teacher...You say I am criticizing the Bible. I say I am not only defending the scriptures but also God the Father and God the Son. Their names deserve to be in the Bible. And only one name can be called on for salvation. Who would want to remove that name from the Bible?

You and I don't see this the same way at all. I have NO problem calling on the name of Jesus! I do it all the time, many times a day, and this name gives me great comfort. I would guess that many Christians feel this way about the name of Jesus.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this, and I have said the same thing many times. However, the Holy Spirit cannot bring life to the words of the Bible unless we read or hear the words in the Bible.
Indeed, people heard Jesus and was he not always speaking truth? Yet, they walked away from him and conspired against Him. An determined atheist can read the Bible looking for ammunition to use against God's people and find it. What is it he is doing when he does that?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, people heard Jesus and was he not always speaking truth? Yet, they walked away from him and conspired against Him. An determined atheist can read the Bible looking for ammunition to use against God's people and find it. What is it he is doing when he does that?

Well, if an atheist reads the Bible, it might just change him. Hopefully, he will be convicted by the words of Jesus on those pages.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You and I don't see this the same way at all. I have NO problem calling on the name of Jesus! I do it all the time, many times a day, and this name gives me great comfort. I would guess that many Christians feel this way about the name of Jesus.
These people keep saying it was common name...It was not even a word until they put it in the Bible and they were not even smart about it. Yeshua's name was common in the OT, they did not even have enough sense to cover their tracks and go back in the OT and change the name there to. His name was a Hebrew name in the OT and the name was a Hebrew name in the NT. Again the names of God the Father and God the Son deserve to be in the Bible, should be in the Bible. What does it do to the Bible when someone takes their names out of it. It took effort....work....thought....who wanted that?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These people keep saying it was common name...It was not even a word until they put it in the Bible and they were not even smart about it. Yeshua's name was common in the OT, they did not even have enough sense to cover their tracks and go back in the OT and change the name there to. His name was a Hebrew name in the OT and the name was a Hebrew name in the NT. Again the names of God the Father and God the Son deserve to be in the Bible, should be in the Bible. What does it do to the Bible when someone takes their names out of it. I took effort....work....thought....who wanted that?
Here's my suggestion. Find a Bible that uses the names for God and Jesus that you want to see, and use that Bible.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not the point. Why not call Him Phil? If you do not take the scriptures or God seriously, does it matter?
Because I don't like the name Phil. :D

Seriously, I think that Jesus can figure out that when we use the English version of His name that we are talking to Him. I just don't see it as a big deal, but, obviously you do, so find a Bible that uses Hebrew names since that's important to you.

I know that the Hebrew names for God have special meanings, and I have read about these names many times. But knowing these Hebrew names really doesn't change who God is to me. He is my Lord and Savior and Friend and Father and Deliverer and Defender and Provider, and I call Him by all these names because they mean something to me.