What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The #1 most common misconception LDS Christian have of Evangelicals is that believe in cheap grace, a misconception propagated by comments like the above.

Salvation isn't a license to sin. God's grace isn't something cheap or that we should treat cheaply with shallow/insincere conversion. We don't buy/work or way to Heaven, but a disciple of Christ should indeed give 100% of themselves to Him.

Yes, I understand this. But what do you have to say about the Bible verses I posted. They have nothing to do with cheap grace.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I understand this. But what do you have to say about the Bible verses I posted. They have nothing to do with cheap grace.
I 100% agree that the Bible doesn't teach cheap grace.

However, comments you were making (and many "anti cultists" make) conveys the message that you're promoting cheap grace. LDS Christians believe very much that being a Christian is being a disciple of Christ-- following Him. Not half hearty or holding something back, but 100%.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I 100% agree that the Bible doesn't teach cheap grace.

However, comments you were making (and many "anti cultists" make) conveys the message that you're promoting cheap grace. LDS Christians believe very much that being a Christian is being a disciple of Christ-- following Him. Not half hearty or holding something back, but 100%.

I've never promoted cheap grace at all. The fact that believers can be seated in Christ right now is because He withheld nothing on the cross. He paid it all for us! He gave all that He had and finished the work that He came to do. He died and was raised from the dead so that we could die to sin and live to Him and in Him. Believers are in Him, and He is seated at the right hand of the Father. Nothing cheap about this!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never promoted cheap grace at all. The fact that believers can be seated in Christ right now is because He withheld nothing on the cross. He paid it all for us! He gave all that He had and finished the work that He came to do. He died and was raised from the dead so that we could die to sin and live to Him and in Him. Believers are in Him, and He is seated at the right hand of the Father. Nothing cheap about this!
Are you willing to give everything you have and are to Him?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you willing to give everything you have and are to Him?

I have done this, and I do this every day. I deny myself and take up my cross daily and follow Him. I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. The apostles lived their lives filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit, and this is how I seek to live 24/7/365. I'm not perfect at this, but this is my goal.

Luke 9:23--And he [Jesus] said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have done this, and I do this every day. I deny myself and take up my cross daily and follow Him. I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. The apostles lived their lives filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit, and this is how I seek to live 24/7/365. I'm not perfect at this, but this is my goal.

Luke 9:23--And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
And yet you call it unbiblical that LDS Christians believe everything includes a small part of our financial goods? When Christ asked the young rich man to sell everything?

I do not. Nor is it a heavy burden.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet you call it unbiblical that LDS Christians believe everything includes a small part of our financial goods? When Christ asked the young rich man to sell everything?

I do not. Nor is it a heavy burden.
Yes, I explained that the rich young ruler does not represent a born-again believer.

I believe in giving from what the Lord has given us. But whether a believer tithes or not, we ARE seated with Christ in the heaven places at the right hand of the Father. Do you see what I'm saying? It's not a reward for tithing or anything else we do.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I explained that the rich young ruler does not represent a born-again believer.

I believe in giving from what the Lord has given us. But whether a believer tithes or not, we ARE seated with Christ in the heaven places at the right hand of the Father. Do you see what I'm saying? It's not a reward for tithing or anything else we do.
No one is talking about earning a reward here.

Rather, we give 100% of everything we have/are because we love Him and out of that love are striving to follow Him (empowered by Him). Giving everything to the Lord includes a willingness to give a small portion of our finances. Yes, the Lord asks this of us, less we be just like the young rich man: placing the $ of the world above God. It's not because God needs to the money or for us "earn" anything.

(Post re-ordered to make more sense)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is talking about earning a reward here.

Giving everything to the Lord includes a willingness to give a small portion of our finances. Yes, the Lord asks this of us, less we be just like the young rich man: placing the $ of the world above God. It's not because God needs to the money or for us "earn" anything. Rather, we give 100% of everything we have/are because we love Him and out of that love are striving to follow Him (empowered by Him).
Right, I believe in heavenly rewards, but that's not what I'm talking about either.

I'm talking about spending eternity with our Heavenly Father. This is what every believer will enjoy, and it's not dependent on tithing.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, I believe in heavenly rewards, but that's not what I'm talking about either.

I'm talking about spending eternity with our Heavenly Father. This is what every believer will enjoy, and it's not dependent on tithing.
No one is talking about the reward of getting to spend eternity with our Heavenly Father either.

Giving 100% of what you have & are is done out of love, not out of "purchasing" or "earning" something. We give everything because we love Him and strive to follow Him.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is talking about the reward of getting to spend eternity with our Heavenly Father either.

Giving 100% of what you have & are is done out of love, not out of "purchasing" or "earning" something. We give everything because we love Him and strive to follow Him.
Okay, what does LDS teaching say about spending eternity with the Heavenly Father? Is this something every Christian will do?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every true disciple of Christ shall spend eternity rejoicing with the Father.
(Note: I'm saying true here. Not those who just put in lip service)
What makes for a "true disciple of Christ" according to LDS teaching? What would I have to do to be considered one?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes for a "true disciple of Christ" according to LDS teaching? What would I have to do to be considered one?
Matthew 22:
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 22:
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Well, I'm asking for specifics.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about this question: what questions are you asked in order to be given a temple recommend?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about this question: what questions are you asked in order to be given a temple recommend?
You don't even understand the purpose of the temple. You keep thinking it's about "earning" your way to salvation, which is completely wrong.

No. Just no.

Quit thinking anything is about "earning" your way to Heaven or about avoiding Hellfire.

Instead, think about Christ, and embracing Him while He embraces you.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't even understand the purpose of the temple. You keep thinking it's about "earning" your way to salvation, which is completely wrong.

No. Just no.

Quit thinking anything is about "earning" your way to Heaven or about avoiding Hellfire.

Instead, think about Christ, and embracing Him while He embraces you.

Why won't you answer my question? I know the answer, lol.