What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will have to agree to disagree. For I believe that we have a closed canon that closes with the Book of Revelation.

I feel bad for you...because your pov is going to place you smack dab in the center of hell.

Because the Bible is God's revelation to man; and to reject it as being error-ridden is to have at the center of your paradigm a God who can make mistakes. I wouldn't want to go where that is going to lead you.
I do not reject the scriptures....lol...but I know the history of these books that were translated from scriptures or at times where ever they got it from. You show me God's signature on one of these and then we got something to talk about it. The Holy Bible is important but in itself is not God. You are so interested in this, They have books that have photo copies of the oldest manuscripts, get some good linguistic books and translate it yourself....You could do no worse than the KJB.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Prayer Warrior , if you were to say "Mormons have beliefs I disagree with and find unbiblical", I would have zero problem with that. In fact, I defend your right to hold that opinion. Obviously I disagree with that opinion of yours, but I do amendmently defend your right to hold it. I too personally could say "____ have beliefs I disagree with and find unbiblical" of many groups.

But blanket statements saying that "___ is a cult" or "___ are outside of Christianity": those statements I have major problems with. No matter who they are directed at.
I understand you have a problem with my saying this. If I have erred, be assured that the Holy Spirit will convict me.

I would continue this discussion, but it’s waaay past my bedtime, and my computer just died, so I’m typing this on my phone.

Good night, all!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand you have a problem with my saying this. If I have erred, be assured that the Holy Spirit will convict me.

I would continue this discussion, but it’s waaay past my bedtime, and my computer just died, so I’m typing this on my phone.

Good night, all!
Sleep well, and have a great day tomorrow celebrating all fathers in earth and the most important one in Heaven :).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re completely ignoring my point.
God does not change. No one of those places in the Bible say that he suddenly will change and stop talking.

Yes, He doesn't stop talking. What I'm saying is that He isn't going to contradict what He has said in the holy canon of scripture or add any new doctrines with new books when He has warned us that if anyone adds to the Bible, the plagues of the Book of Revelation will be added to him; but if he then takes away from the Bible (by saying that the Bible is inspired only insofar as it is correctly translated); God will take away from him those plagues; but will also take away his part out of the book of life.

Instead of thinking about your arguments that you have been taught, maybe you should start thinking about the implications for your soul concerning what I have just said.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, He doesn't stop talking. What I'm saying is that He isn't going to contradict what He has said in the holy canon of scripture or add any new doctrines with new books when He has warned us that if anyone adds to the Bible, the plagues of the Book of Revelation will be added to him; but if he then takes away from the Bible (by saying that the Bible is inspired only insofar as it is correctly translated); God will take away from him those plagues; but will also take away his part out of the book of life.

Instead of thinking about your arguments that you have been taught, maybe you should start thinking about the implications for your soul concerning what I have just said.
And the previous three times before Revelations in the Bible where it says “don’t add” and then God kept speaking...?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A babe in Christ is just as saved as the scholar.

Theology is super important. But it’s not what saves us.
Getting it wrong on the theology test indicates you don't know the God of whom the test is all about.

Even the babe in Christ can get a good grade on the test if he asks the God who is the subject of the test what the answers are.

It is definitely about relationship...and getting a detail wrong in the Newlywed Game indicates you don't know your spouse the way you should. That's acceptable for Newlyweds...but for a couple that has been married for fifty years, it is quite unacceptable.

So if you claim to have known Christ for an extended period of time and yet are getting essential details wrong about who He is in His nature and character...it indicates to Him and to everyone else that you don't really know Him.

Again, for the babe in Christ, they can even cheat on the test by asking Him directly what the answer is to any question on the test...if they do this, they will get 100% right on the test because they know personally the God of whom the test is about.

But if you say you've known Him for years and are getting the answers wrong, maybe you should revert back to asking Him what the answers are to the questions on the test.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So if you claim to have known Christ for an extended period of time and yet are getting essential details wrong about who He is in His nature and character...it indicates to Him and to everyone else that you don't really know Him.
One should take note of that what one writes.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting it wrong on the theology test indicates you don't know the God of whom the test is all about.

Even the babe in Christ can get a good grade on the test if he asks the God who is the subject of the test what the answers are.

It is definitely about relationship...and getting a detail wrong in the Newlywed Game indicates you don't know your spouse the way you should. That's acceptable for Newlyweds...but for a couple that has been married for fifty years, it is quite unacceptable.

Again, for the babe in Christ, they can even cheat on the test by asking Him directly what the answer is to any question on the test...if they do this, they will get 100% right on the test because they know personally the God of whom the test is about.

But if you say you've known Him for years and are getting the answers wrong, maybe you should revert back to asking Him what the answers are to the questions on the test.
I want to see the entire essay test you hand a person to see if they know enough academics in order to count as “saved” in you eyes.
There is no threat of losing your soul over it in those three previous times.
So if there’s no an explicate threat included that means it’s ok to ignore scripture..? Or that God didn’t really mean what’s written there?
That makes zero sense.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to see the entire essay test you hand a person to see if they know enough academics in order to count as “saved” in you eyes.

I am not the one who administers the test....Christ is.

But if it were my test, I would give three essay questions.

1) Who is Christ?

2) What does He want you to do?

3) What must you do to be saved?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if there’s no an explicate threat included that means it’s ok to ignore scripture..? Or that God didn’t really mean what’s written there?
That makes zero sense.
I would say that God really means it when He places a threat on something.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did God ever institute a theology test. Another religious piece of nonsense.
Hey, it didn't originate from me...

This was just the path we started to walk down when @Jane_Doe22 brought up the statement that a person is not saved by acing a theology test.

I simply pointed out that if you fail the theology test, it would indicate that you don't know the God of whom the test is the subject.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that God really means it when He places a threat on something.
And you just ignore the other three passages as if God didn’t mean them...?
I’m going to passionately disagree with you there.
I am not the one who administers the test....Christ is.

But if it were my test, I would give three essay questions.

1) Who is Christ?

2) What does He want you to do?

3) What must you do to be saved?
Disagreeing with you on the first part of your post

As to the second part (the questions)— Christ is my Lord Savior and King. He alone walked this earth living a perfect life, teaching and showing me the way. He suffered for me, so that I can be saved through faith in Him. Even to the extent that He died so that I may live again- physically and spiritually.

He is the one Son of God. The creater of the world. Perfect lamb whom was slain.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, it didn't originate from me...

This was just the path we started to walk down when @Jane_Doe22 brought up the statement that a person is not saved by acing a theology test.

I simply pointed out that if you fail the theology test, it would indicate that you don't know the God of whom the test is the subject.
Hence making salvation about a mans abilty to pass a theology test.

Reactions: mjrhealth

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you just ignore the other three passages as if God didn’t mean them...?
I’m going to passionately disagree with you there.

Disagreeing with you on the first part of your post

As to the second part (the questions)— Christ is my Lord Savior and King. He alone walked this earth living a perfect life, teaching and showing me the way. He suffered for me, so that I can be saved through faith in Him. Even to the extent that He died so that I may live again- physically and spiritually.

He is the one Son of God. The creater of the world. Perfect lamb whom was slain.
Not enough information. You failed to mention what you believe about the Deity of Christ; and, also, if you believe Him to be God, what you think it means that He is God.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence making salvation about a mans abilty to pass a theology test.
Since you can easily ace the test if you know the Person of whom the test is about...I would say that the test is concerning as to whether you know God personally and not about head knowledge per se.