What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if an atheist reads the Bible, it might just change him. Hopefully, he will be convicted by the words of Jesus on those pages.

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44

And then again...

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you do not take the scriptures or God seriously, does it matter?

It doesn't.

The real problem is that there was never a song written entitled "There's just something about that name... Yeshua" You are battling against American culture and lots of emotions. Good luck!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't.

The real problem is that there was never a song written entitled "There's just something about that name... Yeshua" You are battling against American culture and lots of emotions. Good luck!
Hi, how are you??

You can insert "Yeshua" into that song if you want. :) (Don't think it will sound quite right.)

This is not emotional issue for me. It's just not an issue at all for me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I don't like the name Phil. :D

Seriously, I think that Jesus can figure out that when we use the English version of His name that we are talking to Him. I just don't see it as a big deal, but, obviously you do, so find a Bible that uses Hebrew names since that's important to you.

I know that the Hebrew names for God have special meanings, and I have read about these names many times. But knowing these Hebrew names really doesn't change who God is to me. He is my Lord and Savior and Friend and Father and Deliverer and Defender, and I call Him by all these names because they mean something to me.
Your point is valid. At least to an extent. A lot of it goes back to if you believe that the name of God the Father and God the Son has power. The names in the Bible and the sounds of those names. If God is going to say, I know what you mean....then all good....then it does not matter what name you use. If Paul was right and only one name can be called on for salvation....that is problem. He knew Christ's name was Yeshua, he too had never heard of someone called Jesus. It is a very serious deception and a very lame one at that. Still, to your point, I hope that you are right....a lot of souls are counting on the fact that it just does not matter what name you use.

Except for the letter J the name of persons, places, and things were translated correctly. This is a tradition even back then, the names of places were pronounced the same in all languages so that if you met someone at a crossroads and asked which way to Rome, it did not matter what language you spoke you would understand.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't.

lol My lot in life. And we have not touched on the misinterpretations in other languages. And another point, a lot of the times people get their understanding through tradition....not a good thing.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your point is valid. At least to an extent. A lot of goes back to if you believe that the name of God the Father and God the Son has power. The names in the Bible and the sounds of those names. If God is going to say, I know what you mean....then all good....then it does not matter what name you use. If Paul was right and only one name can be called on for salvation....that is problem. He knew Christ's name was Yeshua, he too had never heard of someone called Jesus. It is a very serious deception and a very lame one at that. Still, to your point, I hope that you are right....a lot of souls are counting on the fact that it just does not matter what name you use.

Except for the letter J the name of persons, places, and things were translated correctly. This is a tradition even back then, the names of places were pronounced the same in all languages so that if you meet someone at a crossroads and asked which way to Rome, it did not matter what language you spoke you would understand.

Okay, but you're not calling Yeshua/Jesus by His name, either. HIS NAME IS NOT CHRIST!

I see what you're saying, but I don't sense more power when I use the name of Yeshua as opposed to Jesus. There is power in His name, no doubt about that!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol My lot in life. And we have not touched on the ministrations in other languages. And another point, a lot of the times people get their understanding through tradition....not a good thing.

I'm not usually one to be defending traditions, but some traditions have their basis in truth.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but you're not calling Yeshua/Jesus by His name, either. HIS NAME IS NOT CHRIST!

I see what you're saying, but I don't sense more power when I use the name of Yeshua as opposed to Jesus. There is power in His name, no doubt about that!
You are right...I get use to using Christ so I do not get into this topic all the time....Talk to people at their level....

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not usually one to be defending traditions, but some traditions have their basis in truth.
I will agree with you on that....traditions and legends....are all good to consider....but I look closely at them. Just like the story of the Magi....there was a reason they called them wise men instead of Magi in some Bibles.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right...I get use to using Christ so I do not get into this topic all the time....Talk to people at their level....
Well, I don't usually call Him Christ. That doesn't seem very personal to me, and He is my best friend.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will agree with you on that....traditions and legends....are all good to consider....but I look closely at them. Just like the story of the Magi....there was a reason they called them wise men instead of Magi in some Bibles.
I know. I have read about this, but you and I disagree about who these men were. I've read that they were possibly descendants of Daniel, so they were Jews. They were well-versed on the Jewish scriptures.

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You tempt me to start a thread about the book of Acts.
I could do without some of his writings. If you look around this forum, you find people still debating his letters because he's not very clear at times; and sometimes even seems to contradict himself. Having studied Judaism, I think I know what he's driving at at times; but how he explains things leaves a lot to be desired. He says, for example, in one place that he establishes the law; and in another he wonders why people still believe they're under it. I think I understand that; but it's clear to me many Christians do not.

Could you be tempted to start a thread on this topic? I think your observations are correct and this could be one of the most impactful discussions for this lack of consistent understanding. I struggle with this same problem with Paul. Oh... the things I hope he is correct about and the things I hope that he is wrong about!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you be tempted to start a thread on this topic? I think your observations are correct and this could be one of the most impactful discussions for this lack of consistent understanding. I struggle with this same problem with Paul. Oh... the things I hope he is correct about the things I hope that he is wrong about!
So, you don't believe that Paul wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know. I have read about this, but you and I disagree about who these men were. I've read that they were possibly descendants of Daniel, so they were Jews. They were well-versed on the Jewish scriptures.
The word Magi means sorcerers and witches...I guess some Jews could ask to get into a group of witches. This religion still exist today. Daniel....please do tell how you came up with that!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Magi means sorcerers and witches...I guess some Jews could ask to get into a group of witches. This religion still exist today. Daniel....please do tell how you came up with that!
I read your explanation for this awhile back in this thread. I didn't come up with anything. I have heard this taught.

After looking at various online articles, I don't think there is a firm consensus as to who they were. But one thing is clear. They did have access to the Hebrew Scriptures.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's an explanation I just found.

The wise men who visited Jesus were not just aimlessly following a moving star. They knew in advance whose star it was, who they were going to visit, and that the purpose of their visit was to worship Him:

"Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him." . . . And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:2, 11)​

It is highly unlikely that heathen, idolatrous astrologers would go to the great effort to travel hundreds of miles to give honor to the son of a Deity whom they did not worship. With this evidence, we can be quite certain that these magi were not pagan astrologers. Because of the Diaspora of the Hebrews in preceding centuries, it seems more likely that these men were descendants of Israelites or Jews exiled from the land of Israel, sent to recognize the birth of a scion of the line of David.

Source: Were the Magi Pagan Astrologers (Matthew 2:1-12)?