What was the purpose of hell/Sheol for?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why was it something that was created by God? It is a biblical tenant that is taught in the Bible. From the definition: Hades/Sheol mean Covered place where departed soul go to.

Hell is refereed to a psychical representative of the valley of hinnon, which people would come from out of Jerusalem to put their trash into, along with sometimes people where thrown in there to be killed.

With all this what are your thoughts on the question? What as the purpose for Hell/Sheol/Hades?

Side questions: do you believe Jesus has had victory over these things now? Or are you waiting for him to have victory and fix these things?

Please scripture references would be good to share, and I do not care if someone had the same type of response: if you desire to participate feel free too.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely someone has some information or desire to share, or ask questions about these things.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Evil has in itself the seeds of its own destruction.

Though God gives life, evil kills it.....it kills everything it touches including itself.
For example, you smoke for long enough nobody objective to you punishes you; you punish yourself.....it will in time destroy you....your chosen trajectory becomes your executioner.

Judgement is revealed as creatures judging God not worthy of their worship. They seperate themselves from the very source which gives them life.

God's righteous judgement manifests in forgiveness not arbitrary punishment. This is the good news!

God does not need to be proactive in judging or destroying evil......it destroys itself.....and those who have embraced evil through choice and or deception are destroyed with it.

The Universe is cleansed of all that is dysfunctional.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there some scriptures or something to help us understand this topic?

Anyone out there willingly to share their biblical understanding on the for mentioned original post?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evil has in itself the seeds of its own destruction.

Though God gives life, evil kills it.....it kills everything it touches including itself.
For example, you smoke for long enough nobody objective to you punishes you; you punish yourself.....it will in time destroy you....your chosen trajectory becomes your executioner.

Judgement is revealed as creatures judging God not worthy of their worship. They seperate themselves from the very source which gives them life.

God's righteous judgement manifests in forgiveness not arbitrary punishment. This is the good news!

God does not need to be proactive in judging or destroying evil......it destroys itself.....and those who have embraced evil through choice and or deception are destroyed with it.

The Universe is cleansed of all that is dysfunctional.

This doesn’t have so much to do with evil, as it has to do with Hell/Hades/Sheol.

Can we get a biblical understanding using the Bible?

That is the topic, brother.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see Hades/Sheol as place where unbelievers are held accountable for their deeds done in this life prior to final annihilation in the Lake of Fire. In case you think annihilation is too good for some sins...

Now, I know I'll get crucified for saying this, but based on the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, I can also see Hades/Sheol performing a Purgatorial function for non-believers. If tormenting flames can't get someone to repent, nothing will. But that leaves hope that non-believers can eventually repent and be saved, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

And if the Catholics are right and there's a Purgatory where believers get many or few stripes and pay the last farthing, this is where it would be.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for taking time to share your view.

Anyone else who would like to share please do not be afraid to it’s good to be open and honest.

Especially about this topic in particular… a lot of traditional man made teachings lie all around the topics and what can we find as far the truth to it but from the scriptures?

Please feel free to share, whatever you find about the topic, what is the truth to it?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is just some mans comment, Lambano.

That sounds like a book title I remember reading at the Walmart book isle one day. I believe it was called 13 minutes it hell or something. People can really misrepresent something if they do not fully understand it.

However considering this; with the Bible are the answers to the question at hand able to be met? To find the truth of what the purpose for it was?

That is the challenge.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me I do not mind if someone told me flat out
“I believe God purposes hell for bad people who did not accept Christ they burn in hell forever.”

Just because someone believes this, does it really make it true? In their heart can it be true to them? Yes?

What is used to judge and discerns the heart? Truth. Truth from using what? The word of God, reading the Bible, truth guided by the spirit.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This doesn’t have so much to do with evil, as it has to do with Hell/Hades/Sheol.

Can we get a biblical understanding using the Bible?

That is the topic, brother.
Hades, hell, Gehenna, whatever you want to call it is the place of destruction....where things are consumed, destroyed, perish. Those words are not difficult to understand.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like for us to look at some scripture to get an understanding of hell/Sheol/ and would like to see what is the purpose of it.

thank you, @quietthinker.

if anyone would like to bring up scripture and help us to understand more about what hell/Sheol is please feel free to do so.

Some believe Is where God will have people be thrown away into hell forever and ever but is that really true?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell is a biblical concept. Do not get me wrong. Hell by definition is where the departed souls of the dead went.
The overall depending view of how you see it is found in scripture. There are bits and pieces of scripture that would deal more with the topic wouldn’t there?
What is the purpose?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Sheol" is the Hebrew word for the common grave.....it wasn't made by God, but the need for a place to bury the dead was brought about by Adam's sin. In Eden there was no natural cause of death, and hence no need for a place called sheol. Mankind had the opportunity to live forever on earth, but sin introduced death and death made sheol a place to lay them to rest.

As you know, "hades" is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word "sheol" and means the same thing. The Greeks however had belief in an immortal soul and "hades" came to represent a horrible place where the wicked are tortured forever in flames....this is NOT a Bible teaching.
The dead "sleep"....like Jesus said of Lazarus.....(John 11:11-14; 1 Thessalonians 4:13; 2 Peter 3:4)
The Bible uses this expression "fell asleep" to describe natural sleep as well as death....
G2837 - koimaō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (nasb20)

God has no reason to torture anyone. In Israel's law, the highest penalty for any crime, was death. Once a person had died his sins were erased because his death had paid for them. (Romans 6:7) Jesus died so that all might live...even the dead, by them being restored to life.

The thought of burning his children alive was repugnant to God. (Jeremiah 7:31)

Why was it something that was created by God? It is a biblical tenant that is taught in the Bible. From the definition: Hades/Sheol mean Covered place where departed soul go to.
Yes, sheol/hades is a place to cover the dead.....the grave where we all go eventually.
The point is....what is a departed soul? A soul in the Bible is a breather.....a living creature. All air breathers are called "souls" in the Bible. But souls die....they are not immortal. (Ezekiel 18:4)
So, contrary to popular belief, there is no immortal soul to go anywhere at death.....they sleep peacefully in sheol, awaiting their resurrection...this is what the ancient Jews believed.....and what Jesus taught his followers to believe. Lazarus; sister Martha knew about the resurrection. (John 11:20-24) He promised to raise the dead by calling them from their graves....like he did with Lazarus. (John 5:28-29; John 11:11-14)
Souls are not conscious after death. (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Hell is refereed to a psychical representative of the valley of hinnon, which people would come from out of Jerusalem to put their trash into, along with sometimes people where thrown in there to be killed.
Actually, nothing alive was ever thrown into Gehenna. Only dead carcasses of animals or the the bodies of executed criminals were cast into the flames for disposal with the rest of the garbage. These humans were not considered worthy of a decent burial and hence would not be remembered by God.
So Jesus' reference to Gehenna was indicating that these ones would not receive a resurrection...the eternal punishment of everlasting death awaits the wicked...not everlasting torture. Only the righteous are promised everlasting life....and those souls who go to Gehenna have to be alive in order to suffer. But Jesus said that those in Gehenna are "destroyed" not tortured. (Matthew 10:28)

With all this what are your thoughts on the question? What as the purpose for Hell/Sheol/Hades?
There is no "hell/sheol/hades as Christendom portrays them...it is simply a place where the dead are buried. No one is conscious after death. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10)

Side questions: do you believe Jesus has had victory over these things now? Or are you waiting for him to have victory and fix these things?
Is there still wickedness in the world....is there still sin and death...then Jesus has not fixed these things yet...but he will with the establishment of God's Kingdom....a time when God's will can "be done on earth as it is in heaven". (Matthew 6:9-10)

Please scripture references would be good to share, and I do not care if someone had the same type of response: if you desire to participate feel free too.
I know that there is a lot that does not make sense to a lot of people.....but the Bible tells one story from beginning to end.....you just have to know what it says, rather than the spin put on it by people who try to make it say what it never did.

Isaiah 55:11 indicates that what God starts, he always finishes.....so what did he start...?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. I just don’t believe your souls are dead completely or sleeping theory, due to God giving life and God taking back life.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to know more places in the Bible that talk about it:

Didn’t Jonah or David say to God that he would not leave their soul in there?

Is there more answers in the Bible?

Hell/Sheol/hades are all talked about in the Bible, and what is the ultimate truth behind this mysterious thing people have a hard time understanding?

What has been the result of its use?
What does the Bible say about Hades/Sheol/ (Gehenna) hell in totality?

What was the purpose of Hades/Sheol for?

What does it look like if we can see it in scripture?

What interference did Sheol/Hades cause of God? Could his presence be known in Sheol?

What is the total outcome of for Sheol/hades if there is one ? What happens to it?

Think and consider doing a Bible study, and learn about what they mean.

Last edited:

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hell represents nothing true or real. It only seems real for those who already have beliefs in what is untrue or unreal. As long as they hang onto such false beliefs, they will experience the fear of grief and loss. They fear their invalidity even more so than living humans, because in hell, their is no longer any options, nor hope, to change your mind or beliefs. The only power humans have is 'choice', but after human death we no longer have that power of choice.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, sheol/hades is a place to cover the dead.....the grave where we all go eventually....There is no "hell/sheol/hades as Christendom portrays them...it is simply a place where the dead are buried. No one is conscious after death.
The preponderance of the evidence is in your favor, and I think the KJV translators did us a disfavor in translating both "Sheol" and "Gehenna" as "Hell". The one piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit is that Jesus used the word ᾅδης, "Hades" to describe a place of conscious torment in the afterlife (Luke 16:23). While context here is just a parable, the parable probably reflects the common understanding of the people in Jesus's day. What changed between the OT and the NT?

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's also this "Outer Darkness" where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 8:12, Matthew 22:13, Matthew 25:30) That place doesn't sound pleasant either.

I don't see that Man has eternal life in himself. Someone who was cast bound hand at foot out of Jerusalem into the Negev would die horribly, cold and alone, hungry and thirsty, in the darkness among poisonous snakes and jackals.

Last edited: