What was the purpose of hell/Sheol for?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there is אבדון, "Abaddon", the place called "Destruction" in Job 26:6, Job 28:22, Psalms 88:11, Proverbs 15:11, and Proverbs 27:20. Abaddon is used with שְׁאוֹל, "Sheol" but apparently is considered a separate place.

So, in Acts 8:20, when Peter tells Simon Magi "Τὸ ἀργύριόν σου σὺν σοὶ εἴη εἰς ἀπώλειαν!"(literally, "Your silver and you together into Destruction!", he's telling Simon to take his money and go to Hell.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good for you grabbing all of those together.

Each one is its own subject matter.

Lambano, you sure do know your topics about these places no doubt.

However I really would like to know what the purpose of Hell was for?

Having asked this and having received some answers. It seems it was created as a place for the dead to go. Good or bad.

And what is the end result of Hell?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell is a place where the dead people go.

must be.

Good or bad, the people who died in the Old Testament went there from Adam to Moses, to Jesus.

Hell was a place that kept people who couldn’t get to God in their own place until Jesus conquered over Sin, Death, Hell, and Satan.

Everyone who died had sinned but Jesus. His death recovered and covered all sin to be paid for and met and God is appeased by this.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus overcame these places?

How glorious is He that overcame?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
quote-through-me-the-way-into-the-suffering-city-through-me-the-way-to-the-eternal-pain-through-dante-alighieri-56-5-0556.jpg

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe we have really went over much about hell/Sheol, or have pulled up any Old Testament scripture from what I have went through here.

You may know a lot about it, but what really is it? What is Sheol? Where did it come from? How did it come about? Is there scripture that shows this? Is there depictions of this Sheol place that can be seen in the Bible, even (Hades)?

These are the questions I’m trying to get others to think about and consider, to search and find. Do you think these answers are possible to find?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I can only speculate.

• Justice? (Can eternal conscious torment be considered "just"?)
  • Retribution from an offended God? (The same God whose Son told us to forgive our enemies?)
  • A threat to force behavior modification here on earth? (How's that working for you?)
  • Merciful destruction where the rabid dogs of humanity are put down?
  • Repentance and Healing? (I was serious when I posted the Niven/Pournelle quote, and Purgatory is a drastic form of healing.)
In the end, I have to trust that God is merciful and not a monster or a child-abuser.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had Dante’s inferno book, it was to hard to read… cause I was to adhd to sit and just read it. However I also seen and played the video game and also seen the animated movie they made about Dante’s inferno.

As fun as and interesting it may be to look at and ponder, God is always greater, and his word is important to know truth on matters.

imagination can always create a carnal vision, one could only suggest.

The spirit can guide to truth and scripture should help in supporting whatever a topic may hold. Hell/Sheol/Hades being one of them, and Taturtus.

Do you believe it is possible to find an answer in the Bible itself?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe it is possible to find an answer in the Bible itself?
Not a definitive one. All these divergent opinions you see ARE informed by the Bible. We've been talking about this for 2000 years and counting, and we still don't agree.

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

I had to give up my need to know for certain and learn to trust. It made me more sane.

There's more than one answer to these questions
Pointing me in a crooked line.
The less I seek my source for some definitive,
The closer I am to "fine".

(Emily Saliers)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re right about that.
We do see a glass darkly.

Faith and love is paramount over doctrine anyway, it doesn’t negate the fact if a person desires to know that can by and through the Bible.

Thank you so much for being so willingly to share here with me on this Lambano,

If anyone else would like to share please feel free to do so. I do not expect everyone to know everything but do challenge you to dig in to the Bible if you are curious.

Don’t believe man made traditions.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can see Hades/Sheol as place where unbelievers are held accountable for their deeds done in this life prior to final annihilation in the Lake of Fire.
So let's correct some misconceptions about the afterlife.

1. Sheol/Hades is NOT Hell (Gehenna = the Lake of Fire).

2a. All those who are regarded as unrighteous by God go to Hades when they die.

2b. That is, their souls go to Hades to await their final judgment. But they are in torment.

3. Those who were in Hades will be judged according to their works, then cast into Hell (the Lake of Fire). But Hell was originally created for the devil and his angels and God does not want to see anyone in Hell. Hence the Gospel.

4. Hades is NOT Purgatory, since Purgatory is fictitious. There are no second chances after death.

5. Hell (Gehenna) is NOT annihilation but eternal damnation. The word "destruction" as used in the NT means eternal ruin and misery, not evaporation or annihilation.

6. Death and Hades are personified in Revelation. So when they are cast into the Lake of Fire it means that they are terminated. There will not be any more death on earth after that, therefore there will be no need for Hades.

7. Christ did not go to Hell but He went to Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights. There He "preached" (made proclamation) to the spirits in prison. Then He took all those in "Abraham's bosom" (the righteous dead or the OT saints) to Heaven (the New Jerusalem).

It is very unfortunate that the King James translators used the word "hell" for Hades, as well as Gehenna, as well as Tartarus. These are three different places. And Sheol is NOT the grave.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why was it something that was created by God? It is a biblical tenant that is taught in the Bible. From the definition: Hades/Sheol mean Covered place where departed soul go to.

Hell is refereed to a psychical representative of the valley of hinnon, which people would come from out of Jerusalem to put their trash into, along with sometimes people where thrown in there to be killed.

With all this what are your thoughts on the question? What as the purpose for Hell/Sheol/Hades?

Side questions: do you believe Jesus has had victory over these things now? Or are you waiting for him to have victory and fix these things?

Please scripture references would be good to share, and I do not care if someone had the same type of response: if you desire to participate feel free too.

Another great question Matt, hell became necessary with the sin of Adam. All who die go there as an abode for the dead became necessary at that time. In reality it is God's memory, but literally it is the grave. It is not permanent, in fact everyone who goes there will be resurrected, and then being no longer necessary it will be cast into the lake of fire gone forever. Rev 20:13,14

Happy Trails

Feb 6, 2022
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why was it something that was created by God? It is a biblical tenant that is taught in the Bible. From the definition: Hades/Sheol mean Covered place where departed soul go to.

Hell is refereed to a psychical representative of the valley of hinnon, which people would come from out of Jerusalem to put their trash into, along with sometimes people where thrown in there to be killed.

With all this what are your thoughts on the question? What as the purpose for Hell/Sheol/Hades?

Side questions: do you believe Jesus has had victory over these things now? Or are you waiting for him to have victory and fix these things?

Please scripture references would be good to share, and I do not care if someone had the same type of response: if you desire to participate feel free too.
If memory serves, the KJV translates 4 or 5 different words as "hell."

Sheol is a place where the dead await the resurrection. The Greeks called it hades.

Tartarus is more akin to the Lake of Fire, which doesn't exist yet.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The preponderance of the evidence is in your favor, and I think the KJV translators did us a disfavor in translating both "Sheol" and "Gehenna" as "Hell".
True, translation, (or should I say ‘mistranslation’) has a lot to answer for.....but according to the Bible it is not surprising.....men were already “twisting the scriptures”.

“But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. (2 Peter 3:13-17 ESV)

So if it was happening back then and the foretold apostasy kept gaining momentum, it would only go from bad to worse, as what became “Christianity” sank to alarming levels of abuse of power.....torture and murder in the name of Christ. We all know what history reveals about the conduct of “the church” during 1500 years of tyranny and control, basically dictating to the rulers of the day. This kind of power “corrupts” which is why Jesus taught his disciples not to imitate the Pharisees....

“8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Christ. 11 The greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matthew 23:8-12 ESV)
Jesus was humiliating those who exalted themselves, and who were treating his disciples like despised, worthless human trash. Jesus gave these ones dignity and hope.

The one piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit is that Jesus used the word ᾅδης, "Hades" to describe a place of conscious torment in the afterlife (Luke 16:23). While context here is just a parable, the parable probably reflects the common understanding of the people in Jesus's day. What changed between the OT and the NT?
Parables are illustrations, not true stories with real people, though based on the characteristics of real people, easily identified. Understanding the characters in this parable you can see what the lesson was....
The rich man represented the Pharisees and the beggar represented the “lost sheep of the house of Israel” to whom Jesus was sent exclusively. (Matthew 15:24)
We know what Jesus thought of the Pharisees and he castigated them continually for being woeful shepherds of the “lost sheep”, whom Jesus’ illustrations showed were precious to his Father and that they should have cared for them, but instead demonstrated their complete contempt. (Matthew 23)

In this parable, Jesus indicates a change of place, illustrated by their deaths. The Pharisees were now on the back foot with Jesus preaching, exposing them for the religious frauds and hypocrites that they were. The torment was from Jesus’ denunciation, and now the beggar was in the position of favour illustrated by “the bosom of Abraham”. The “bosom” is where a person of favour reclines at a meal. The apostle John was said to recline in this position at the Last Supper.....
“There was at the table reclining in Jesus’ bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.” (John 13:23 ASV)
The “bosom of Abraham” was a position of favour with God. This parable has nothing to do with any real life situation, but using a real life situation to demonstrate a spiritual situation.
The Pharisees “died” to God by being exposed by Jesus.....whereas the ones of the “lost sheep” whom the Pharisees had judged as not worthy of their time and attention, now gained the “bosom of Abraham” as those who accepted Jesus as Messiah.
In their spiritual death state, the Pharisees were becoming desperate because Jesus was having an enormous impact on the people to whom he preached. (Matthew 11:25) They then plotted his murder.

The parables Jesus gave were about familiar things to his Jewish audience. In their scriptures, conscious life after death was not taught. Under Greek influence however, the Jewish leadership had adopted the Greek notion of an immortal soul. “Sheol” somehow became “hades” a place of conscious existence and suffering after death. Yet their scriptures taught exactly the opposite. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) Sheol was a place where there was no conscious existence.

So Jesus, in using hades in his illustration would not have drawn on a false religious teaching. But used death as a way to demonstrate a change in status of those who once held that position of favour who had now officially lost it, and the despised spiritual “beggars” had gained it.

To take this parable literally, it makes little sense, but to understand the symbolisms, it makes perfect sense.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hell, I believe, is the unpleasant consequences of selfish choices. It's purpose would be to discourage us from making selfish choices.

Reactions: MatthewG

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There's also this "Outer Darkness" where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 8:12, Matthew 22:13, Matthew 25:30) That place doesn't sound pleasant either.
This darkness is spiritual....it depicts the darkness of existing without light from God.
The “wailing and gnashing of teeth” is the effect that Jesus teachings had on the Pharisees. His teachings humiliated them and showed them up for the religious hypocrites they were. No wonder there was gnashing of teeth and murder plots!

I don't see that Man has eternal life in himself.
He never did.....man's continued existence was dependent upon his obedience, and access to the "tree of life". Once access was denied after they stole the forbidden fruit, death inevitably followed.

Someone who was cast bound hand at foot out of Jerusalem into the Negev would die horribly, cold and alone, hungry and thirsty, in the darkness among poisonous snakes and jackals.
You'll have to give me a reference for that one.....never heard of it.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If memory serves, the KJV translates 4 or 5 different words as "hell."

Sheol is a place where the dead await the resurrection. The Greeks called it hades.

Tartarus is more akin to the Lake of Fire, which doesn't exist yet.
Yes the KJV is woeful when it comes to many of their renderings...its a dinosaur.

Sheol/hades is a place of rest where all humanity goes to await the resurrection......it does not involve an immortal soul, since this is not taught in scripture.
"Tartarus" is mentioned only once in the Bible and refers to a state of restraint and spiritual cutting off, rather than an actual place. It is only applied to the disobedient angels in Noah's day...the ones who became demons thereafter. After the flood this condition did not allow them to materialize or to have any spiritual enlightenment at all. They know that they are doomed but not when it will happen.....only God knows when that will take place. (Matthew 24:36-39)

When Jesus walked the earth there was an incident where the demons begged him not to command them to go into the abyss....a place they know awaits them. (Luke 8:26-31)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your'e asking the question from the assumption that God has created hell.....a place of destruction.....Are you also assuming it is perpetual?

I think your view is flawed on matter. Satan is the destroyer, the liar, the murderer!
Would you paint God as being a killer and a torturer also....one who finds pleasure in the suffering of his creatures?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
but to understand the symbolisms, it makes perfect sense.
didn't you tell me you don't understand symbolism and metaphors AJ.....have you had a change of mind?
....and you argue this translation and that translation. Wouldn't it make more sense to consider the whole principle?.....ohhh, thats right, you don't understand that language!