what's the weirdest thing you've had happen or seen happen in church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

X Sinner

Jun 7, 2012
Massachusetts
I was playing drums for my uncle Richie's traveling revival team.
Well anyways, we were all invited to a church ( name withheld to protect the stupid )
When one of the ministers of the church interrupted saying she needed to pray for people.
We thought, ok your church your rules type thing.
Anyways, this kinda husky height challenged lady started praying for people, the people fell down, but got up looking really mad. So my uncle sends me ( I was 06'02" and 275lb football player at the time) to see what was up.
So I thought, nobody can get too much prayer right? So I go up to be prayed for. This lady then leaned in and tried pushing me down. Finally when she realized she couldn't push me down, she said "just go down " I was like, "nope not on your life lady " . So she said I was resisting the move of the spirit. I was about to laugh when some teenager said, " what move lady you were pushing everyone over "
Needless to say we never went back there.

Share your unusual, odd or just downright funny things you've seen or had happened to you in church or at a church function. This should be interesting and fun.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I can recall a time when my then Pastor, was about to take a wedding service in the Church but needed to take a pee before the brides family arrived...so he left me to greet the guests. The Church was packed out...unfortunately the Pastor forgot to take off his lapel mike... :huh:
Needless to say...It was all quickly forgotten once the bride appeared.... ^_^

Blessings!!!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a different one. My wife and I were attending a service at the local "Community Baptist Church" and while we were standing up with the congregation, singing Andre Crouch's song "to God be the Glory", I noticed the fellow standing next to us was crying. Then my wife and I started shaking like we were in an earthquake, but as far as I know the building didn't shake at all (I was afraid to ask if anyone else had experienced this.)
I've experienced a lot of peculiar things, but that had to be the strangest thing that I ever experienced during a worship service.
Does that make us "movers and shakers?"

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
I had a similar experience to the OP when I was in my teens... I believe in the Holy Spirit, and I grew up among the "movers and shakers" as you call them Michael...
Anyways, I have always questioned everything, and I had seen people 'fall out' in the spirit, but I had never done so...

Well, one night, our youth group went to this revival in a neighboring city. At the end of the service, the speaker required that all teens go to the front for an experience from the spirit. Everyone lined up, and as the speaker moved down the line, each person fell down seconds after he placed his hand on their forehead... It was like a big line of trust falls where youth leaders would stand behind each kids as the guy laid hands on them...

Well, I was near the far end of the middle of the line, and when the guy got to be, I felt my head snap back as he just shoved my forehead... I didn't feel the spirit, but I tell you , I thought I felt the need for a chiropractor... I refused to go down, because I had decided long before that, that if I was going to have an experience with the spirit, it wasn't going to be a fake one to stroke some evangelist's ego...

When his hand came off my forehead, he had taken a half step towards the next person, but then he realized I was still standing... This prompted a whole mini sermon about me being rebellious and demon possessed... There were more prayers, and a short, crazy session in which people tried to cast non-existant demons from me before I stood up and told everyone I had had enough, and to be aware that a self edifying false prophet was among them... I was so hurt, and angry.

It didn't last though... My pastor confronted the guy, and I had people that were at that service telling me years after the fact that they just went down because they were caught off guard. LOL

The funny thing is, almost exactly one month later, I was just standing in church singing a worship song. I began to wonder if any of the crazy stuff was true, or if everyone just put on a show like that speaker... Suddenly, I felt this wave of overpowering peace and my heart just felt flooded out. The next thing I knew, I was staring up at several faces from a tumble of chairs that I had fallen into... I didn't suffer any bumps or bruises, although one had flipped over on my face, according to witnesses... I was intoxicated without the bad effects... It was pretty awesome... but that was the only time I really had a physical public manifestation of the Holy Spirit...

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I brought up during a Business Meeting about hosting a garage sale for all our accumulated junk over the years and donating the proceeds to the Missionaries we support.

You would have thought I was the Roman soldier who nailed Christ to the cross! The yells (actual yells), "That isn't allowed in our Constitution!" from the rabble nearly rattled the rafters.

I look back now and laugh, and am no longer a part of that congregation.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I watched my daughter's leg grow half an inch, her spine straighten and both of her flat feet suddenly develop arches.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I heard some one speak the truth once in church, but that was a long time ago, im sure I would find it odd if it happened again.

In All His Love

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I saw a man leap up in the middle of a sermon and yell at the pastor "that's bull...!" Apparently he didn't like what he was hearing! I know him, and it's a shame he never came back...he really, really needed to hear that truth.

I must confess amazement at those phoney 'spirit movers'....man, I tell you what, if some person shoved me like that and expected me to play along for their own reputations benefit...well, I would suddenly become one of those people who make a scene in Church!! Not on, and certainly not Godly....or for God's glory...just their own.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus did that once look what happened to Him,

Mat 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

In all His Love

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a similar experience to the OP when I was in my teens... I believe in the Holy Spirit, and I grew up among the "movers and shakers" as you call them Michael...
Anyways, I have always questioned everything, and I had seen people 'fall out' in the spirit, but I had never done so...

Well, one night, our youth group went to this revival in a neighboring city. At the end of the service, the speaker required that all teens go to the front for an experience from the spirit. Everyone lined up, and as the speaker moved down the line, each person fell down seconds after he placed his hand on their forehead... It was like a big line of trust falls where youth leaders would stand behind each kids as the guy laid hands on them...

Well, I was near the far end of the middle of the line, and when the guy got to be, I felt my head snap back as he just shoved my forehead... I didn't feel the spirit, but I tell you , I thought I felt the need for a chiropractor... I refused to go down, because I had decided long before that, that if I was going to have an experience with the spirit, it wasn't going to be a fake one to stroke some evangelist's ego...

When his hand came off my forehead, he had taken a half step towards the next person, but then he realized I was still standing... This prompted a whole mini sermon about me being rebellious and demon possessed... There were more prayers, and a short, crazy session in which people tried to cast non-existant demons from me before I stood up and told everyone I had had enough, and to be aware that a self edifying false prophet was among them... I was so hurt, and angry.

It didn't last though... My pastor confronted the guy, and I had people that were at that service telling me years after the fact that they just went down because they were caught off guard. LOL

The funny thing is, almost exactly one month later, I was just standing in church singing a worship song. I began to wonder if any of the crazy stuff was true, or if everyone just put on a show like that speaker... Suddenly, I felt this wave of overpowering peace and my heart just felt flooded out. The next thing I knew, I was staring up at several faces from a tumble of chairs that I had fallen into... I didn't suffer any bumps or bruises, although one had flipped over on my face, according to witnesses... I was intoxicated without the bad effects... It was pretty awesome... but that was the only time I really had a physical public manifestation of the Holy Spirit...

To be honest, on the occasion that my wife and I felt that shaking thing going on, I was actually expecting something to happen. the Baptist churches that I've attended don't celebrate "Pentacost," but I had been reading the book of the acts of the apostles a week or two before that service and had the idea that if I prayed sincerely for it, the Lord would give me some spiritual gift that I might use in ministry. I believe that I'd tried to reckon from the celebration of Resurrection Sunday to the festival of first fruits, or something like that, and so I was hoping for some extraordinary gift. I don't believe that I was blessed with anything other than my observations and a particularly powerful worship service, but then again, that was more than enough. If someone actually got saved that Sunday morning, or came to repentance and restoration (maybe like the brother in tears next to my wife and I) then I'd have to say that the Lord did give a special gift, even if it was to the body of Christ rather than to me. The way I see things, any growth to the body of Christ is a benefit to me and to all that are part of it. Even so, I wouldn't have shared much of my observation with the members of that congregation as they tended to frown on anything that sounded charismatic. I like to remind people that experience is not a source of faith, but may validate it.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My "new to our Church" Pastor wanted to join me and others in a weekly combined Prayer service that some of us attended, held at another Church. He asked me what he should wear as he came from another city and wanted to fit in. I told him to go casual meaning - polo shirt or shirt and light trousers.

He came in a pair of skatie shorts and a sweater with a giant pic of Mickey Mouse in the front and insisted that I sat with him throughout the service. I still go bright red just thinking about that... :unsure:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you think it would have bothered Jesus what He wore. I used to go to church in singlet, shorts and thongs. Doesnt bother God.

In Al His Love

Maybe Jesus was just testing you. He seems to do that from time to time.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Possibly mj! quite possibly :)

My problem with that was not so much my own but that of the other Leaders and Ministers from various Churches that regularly attended. I could not convince them that he was our new Pastor <sigh> They thought that he was my boyfriend because they could not get their head around the fact that a Pastor would ever come to a "Prayer Service" dressed like that. :unsure: and he was just about attached to my hip every where I went because he realized his serious faux pas...
*face palm*

BtW: [thongs?] are you an Aussie mj? thongs are noted as underwear or bikini bottoms [g-strings] in my country

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Angelina said:
Possibly mj! quite possibly :)

My problem with that was not so much my own but that of the other Leaders and Ministers from various Churches that regularly attended. I could not convince them that he was our new Pastor <sigh> They thought that he was my boyfriend because they could not get their head around the fact that a Pastor would ever come to a "Prayer Service" dressed like that. :unsure: and he was just about attached to my hip every where I went because he realized his serious faux pas...
*face palm*

BtW: [thongs?] are you an Aussie mj? thongs are noted as underwear or bikini bottoms [g-strings] in my country
-- I grew up in North Dakota in the 70s and 'thongs' were the sandals or 'flip-flops' that we wore on our feet every summer.

Only later did 'thong' become known as the name for the dental floss version of women's underwear :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We have never used the word thong to relate to foot wear but Aussies still call them thongs ^_^ We call them Jandals in NZ. I heard this wonderful story from my friend Shep who went back to the US with her Aussie Husband. For a holiday I think. Anyway he went to the store to buy himself some thongs and after being led to the underwear section...she came to his rescue asking the young sales assistant to direct him to where they sold flip flops...LOL! :p

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
a stranger showed up with his own bottle of wine sticking out of a paper bag .. he said he brought it to have at the Lords supper ..the stranger thought he was funny . But pastor asked him to stay for church services and he even came very many sundays after that and even started to take bic classes . So that he could join us at the Lords table .. He droped out rather soon though ,when he found out we believed in a 6 natural day creation .. last we heard he was going to a roman catholic church and was pleased they taught
Theitistic evolution ...He heard several times the good news with no strings attached befoe he left..

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
For me it is to go to a church, or see one online or on TV, and the pastor asks the people to raise your hand to "accept Christ into your heart." And then some individuals would raise their hand and the pastor will ask them to come forward "as an act of faith," to repeat a "sinners prayer," and the eldership or associate pastors would pray for these people at the "altar." And at the end the pastor will say these people are now "saved," and these people would return to their seats thinking they are saved when Biblically they are not. It is not only error to lie to people but that the individual and the Church is harmed by this unbiblical practice.