"When did the RCC begin?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
I reject the interpreted doctrines that the RCC have come up with. They are doctrines of sinful men. Just as the Holy Spirit revealed the truth to Paul the Holy Spirit reveals the truth to the children of God.

Gal 1:11-12
11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
NKJV

I will hear the words Paul penned in the scriptures because they are the words revealed to Paul by revelation and they don't need for a man to teach us his interpretation. We have the Holy Spirit.

John 14:26
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
NKJV

2 Cor 1:22
22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
NKJV

Eph 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
NKJV
Paul was always subject to the Church. If God promised to protect the Church from teaching error, where does that leave you?

It is incorrect to regard St. Paul as some kind of spiritual “lone ranger,” on his own with no particular ecclesiastical allegiance, since he was commissioned by Jesus Himself as an Apostle.

• In his very conversion experience, Jesus informed Paul that he would be told what to do (Acts 9:6; cf. 9:17).
  • He went to see St. Peter in Jerusalem for fifteen days in order to be confirmed in his calling (Galatians 1:18),
  • and fourteen years later was commissioned by Peter, James, and John (Galatians 2:1-2,9).
  • He was also sent out by the Church at Antioch (Acts 13:1-4), which was in contact with the Church at Jerusalem (Acts 11:19-27).
  • Later on, Paul reported back to Antioch (Acts 14:26-28).
  • Acts 15:2 states: “. . . Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question.”
  • The next verse refers to Paul and Barnabas “being sent on their way by the church.”
  • Paul did what he was told to do by the Jerusalem Council (where he played no huge role),
  • and Paul and Barnabas were sent off, or commissioned by the council (15:22-27), and shared its binding teachings in their missionary journeys: “. . . delivered to them for observance the decisions which had been reached by the apostles and elders who were at Jerusalem” (Acts 16:4).
The Jerusalem Council certainly regarded its teachings as infallible, and guided by the Holy Spirit Himself. The records we have of it don’t even record much discussion about biblical prooftexts, and the main issue was circumcision (where there is a lot of Scripture to draw from). Paul accepted its authority and proclaimed its teachings (Acts 16:4).

Furthermore, Paul appears to be passing on his office to Timothy (1 Tim 6:20; 2 Tim 1:6, 13-14; 2 Tim 4:1-6), and tells him to pass his office along, in turn (2 Tim 2:1-2) which would be another indication of apostolic succession in the Bible.

The attempt to pretend that St. Paul was somehow on his own, disconnected to the institutional Church, has always failed, as unbiblical. Protestant frown upon institutions, but we Catholics rather like the Church that Jesus Christ set up, initially led by St. Peter.

You’re trying to set the Bible against the Church, which is typical Protestant methodology, and ultra-unbiblical. The Bible never does that. I’ve already given the example of the Jerusalem Council, which plainly shows the infallibility of the Church.

The Bible repeatedly teaches that the Church is indefectible; therefore, the hypothetical of rejecting the (one true, historic) Church, as supposedly going against the Bible, is impossible according to the Bible. It is not a situation that would ever come up, because of God’s promised protection.

What the Bible says is to reject those who cause divisions, which is the very essence of the onset of Protestantism: schism, sectarianism, and division. It is Protestantism that departed from the historic Church, which is indefectible and infallible (see also 1 Tim 3:15).

The one true Church is and always will be in harmony with God’s inspired revelation, the Bible; yes. Thus, we reject any form of Protestantism, because they fail this test. It’s not a matter of one thing being “under” the other. All of that is the invention of the 16th century and the biblically bankrupt and meaningless notion of sola Scriptura. The Bible presents Scripture-Tradition-Church as a “three-legged stool”: the rule of faith. All are in harmony; all work together.

And is any church and any teacher to be rejected who strays from God’s words, as Paul commands? That is the fundamental issue.

Sure; this is why we reject any form of Protestantism, because all fail the test of allegiance to God’s Word in Holy Scripture, and the historical pedigree that the fathers always taught was necessary. Every heretic in the history of the world thumbed their nose at the institutional Church and went by Scripture alone. It is the heretical worldview to do so, precisely because they know they can’t prove that their views were passed down through history in an unbroken succession.

Therefore, heresies and Protestantism either had to play games with history in order to pretend that it fits with their views, or ignore it altogether.

I gave several passages showing that Paul was under Church authority, in various ways. It is the pitting of the ultimate source against the secondary, human source (the Church) which is the problem in your approach and that of Protestantism in general. You guys don’t like human, institutional authority and don’t have enough faith to believe that God can and does preserve it, so you try to undermine it by fallacious arguments, as presently.

No doubt you aren’t even aware that you are doing it. To do this is automatic in Protestantism; it’s like breathing. It’s like the fish that doesn’t know it’s in water. It all comes from the rejection of the infallibility of the Church (which is one thing that sola Scriptura always entails).

In Galatians 1-2 Paul is referring to his initial conversion. But even then God made sure there was someone else around, to urge him to get baptized (Ananias: Acts 22:12-16). He received the revelation initially and then sought to have it confirmed by Church authority (Gal 2:1-2); then his authority was accepted or verified by James, Peter, and John (Gal 2:9).

So we see that the Bible doesn’t pit the divine call directly from God, against Church authority, as you do. You do it because it is Protestant man-made tradition to do so; period, and because the Protestant has to always undermine the authority of the Church, and the Catholic Church, in order to bolster his own anti-system, that was set up against the historic Church in the first place.

We believe in faith that the Church is infallible and indefectible, based on many biblical indications. It is theoretically possible (speaking in terms of philosophy or epistemology) that the Church could stray and have to be rejected, but the Bible rules that out. We believe in faith that it has not and will not.

Protestants don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church, even though they can muster up even more faith than that, which is required to believe in an infallible Bible written by a bunch of sinners and hypocrites.

We simply have more faith than you guys do. It’s a supernatural gift. We believe that the authoritative Church is also a key part of God’s plan to save the souls of men. We follow the model of the Jerusalem Council, whereas you guys reject that or ignore it, because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.

What is straying from God’s word is the very notion of denominationalism, which is always considered an outrage in the NT; the rejection of apostolic succession, and of, e.g., bishops (plainly present in the NT), or belief in a non-literal Eucharist, or a baptism that doesn’t regenerate, or sola Scriptura or faith alone (separation of justification and sanctification): all the host of unbiblical teachings that are in Protestantism. That’s why I left the system; wanting to follow biblical teachings more closely, traditional moral teachings, and the historic Christian Church.

The Bible teaches that the true Church is infallible and indefectible. That is a promise of God. One either accepts it in faith or not. That is the task: does one accept all of what the Bible teaches, or just selectively, with man-made traditions added to it?

There is such a thing as a false church and false gospel, that must be rejected, and there is also the one true Church that cannot fail doctrinally, based on God’s protection. You assert the first thing but reject the second, which is your difficulty (accepting one part of the Bible but not another). We accept both things and have no difficulty.

Dialogue With a Calvinist

13239191_10208574805634922_8669941564389177859_n.jpg

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Kepka you are still in denial, and continue to defend the extra Biblical teachings of the pagan based Roman church..Jesus said 'call no one on earth your Father, only the Father who is in Heaven"...this is only one area which your Roman church breaches..there are many more. Oh yes they ignore the first four of the Ten Commandments...and you still call yourself a "christian" church...I see that a blasphemy again the most high God and His Holy word....Most of the daughters of the harlot, the protestant religions are not much better.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
You say the Bible teaches about the Roman church being infallible etc...this is absolute out and out falsehood..you know it and the whole world knows it...there is no infallibility in the pope, or any human being, and the church organization is pagan based and will be severely judged by God as per Revelation 17 and 18...God's calling the church a "harlot" seems very appropriate based the facts, and your attempts to glorify this institutions.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Kepka you are still in denial, and continue to defend the extra Biblical teachings of the pagan based Roman church..Jesus said 'call no one on earth your Father, only the Father who is in Heaven"...this is only one area which your Roman church breaches..there are many more. Oh yes they ignore the first four of the Ten Commandments...and you still call yourself a "christian" church...I see that a blasphemy again the most high God and His Holy word....Most of the daughters of the harlot, the protestant religions are not much better.

Catholics do not call their priests father - they address them as father. Not the same!

Catholics do not ignore the Ten Commandments.

We are a Christian Curch and for you to deny is is breach of Forum rules and has been reported.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He's pouting because he can't refute my post and runs off on fallacious arguments.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Jesus said "if you love me keep my Commandments" John 14.15 and in Matthew 19.17 "to enter into life keep the commandments" and He goes on to identify these as the Ten commandments of God. It seems the Roman church does NOT follow these, as well as many other so called "christians" posting on here...so pagan Rome has lots of company by so called "protestant" "christians".

Oh brilliant (not!)

Jesus tells his New Covenant followers to keep his commandments and then with no justification al all you link them to the commandments he told a Jew under the Old Covenant to keep. :rolleyes:

Also, regarding Mt 19:17 there is a similar (same?) incident in Mk 10;19 he list "do not defraud" as one of the (Old Law) commandments to keep. That is not one of the Ten Commandmens but comes from Lev 19:13.

Also when asked which is the first of the Commandments, again Jesus does not quote the Ten Commandments but Dt 6:5. And the second greatest is Lv 19:18

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Mungo.;the first commandment is"thou shalt have NO other Gods before me"..Rome gets a failure here, as the pope is deified.
Second commandmentf..."do not make or bow down to any graven images"..Rome gets a failure on this, as they are infested with statues and images which they worship
Third commandment..."do not take the name of the Lord, God in vain...by their claims of infallibility and deification of the pope, a mere man, they take the name of the Lord, in vain...Rome gets a failure on this on too.
Fourth commandment..Remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy...Rome changed this Holy day to sunday the first day of the week, so they get a big failure on this one too..
Pagan Roman church not doing very good at keeping the commandments are they...these four commandments do as Jesus said "Love God with all thy heart, soul and mind"...
Seems Rome would sooner believe in their pope and his crowd rather than following God.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Mungo.;the first commandment is"thou shalt have NO other Gods before me"..Rome gets a failure here, as the pope is deified.
Second commandmentf..."do not make or bow down to any graven images"..Rome gets a failure on this, as they are infested with statues and images which they worship
Third commandment..."do not take the name of the Lord, God in vain...by their claims of infallibility and deification of the pope, a mere man, they take the name of the Lord, in vain...Rome gets a failure on this on too.
Fourth commandment..Remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy...Rome changed this Holy day to sunday the first day of the week, so they get a big failure on this one too..
Pagan Roman church not doing very good at keeping the commandments are they...these four commandments do as Jesus said "Love God with all thy heart, soul and mind"...
Seems Rome would sooner believe in their pope and his crowd rather than following God.
The first Commandment is:
"'You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God......."

Why do Protestants split the first commandment into two and thereby miss the point of it?

The first part is "You shall have no other gods before me". The second part "You shall not make for yourself a graven image,..... you shall not bow down to them or serve them" expands on how we have other gods before the one true God - i.e. by making images that we worship. It is not a prohibition against making images but of worshipping them.

God himself ordered images to be made and God doesn't contradict his own commands.

We have not deified the Pope.

So, no commandments broken so far.

The second commandment is 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain…”
The Catholic Church does not deify the Pope.
The Catholic Church does not claim the Pope is infallible in himself, but that by virtue of his office he can exercise the gift of infallibility that Christ granted his Church. It is Christ’s infallibility.

So, no commandment broken there.

The third commandment is “Remember the Sabbath keep it holy….”
You say the Catholic Church changed this to Sunday but it didn’t. The Sabbath remains Saturday.
However Sabbath keeping was abrogated along with all the other nine commandments as a legal code of the Old Covenant was it was abrogated. All the other nine commandments were moral commands and remain valid because they are part of God’s eternal moral law. They are in the new Testamant as applicable under the New Covenant. Sabbath keeping is not a moral issue and was not brought forward and is not applicable under the New Covenant.

So, no commandments broken.

You get a fail for your efforts.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Pagan Roman church .......

Calling me a member of a pagan Church violates forum rules (IMO).

I keep reporting these violations but apparently nothing is done.

So perhaps I will start calling you a pagan

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
heretoeternity said:
Wrong..
[SIZE=14pt]PART THREE LIFE IN CHRIST[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]SECTION TWO
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS[/SIZE]

ARTICLE 1
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT

ARTICLE 2
THE SECOND COMMANDMENT

ARTICLE 3
THE THIRD COMMANDMENT

CHAPTER TWO
"YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF"

ARTICLE 4
THE FOURTH COMMANDMENT

Oh yes they ignore the first four of the Ten Commandments.
click on the above links. Your assumption is false.

Matt. 23:9 - Jesus says, "call no man father." But Protestants use this verse in an attempt to prove that it is wrong for Catholics to call priests "father." This is an example of "eisegesis" (imposing one's views upon a passage) as opposed to "exegesis" (drawing out the meaning of the passage from its context). In this verse, Jesus was discouraging His followers from elevating the scribes and Pharisees to the titles of “fathers” and “rabbis” because they were hypocrites. Jesus warns us not to elevate anyone to the level of our heavenly Father.

Matt. 23:8 – in this teaching, Jesus also says not to call anyone teacher or rabbi as well. But don’t Protestants call their teachers “teacher?” What about this commandment of Jesus? When Protestants say “call no man father,” they must also argue that we cannot call any man teacher either.

• Judges 17:10; 18:19 - priesthood and fatherhood have always been identified together. Fatherhood literally means "communicating one's nature," and just as biological fathers communicate their nature to their children, so do spiritual fathers communicate the nature of God to us, their children, through (hopefully) teaching and example.
  • 1 John 2:13 - elders of the Church are called "fathers." Therefore, we should ask the question, "Why don't Protestants call their pastors "father?"
  • 1 Cor. 4:15 - Paul writes, "I became your father in Christ Jesus."
  • 1 Cor. 4:17 - Paul calls Bishop Timothy a beloved and faithful "child" in the Lord.
  • 2 Cor. 12:14 - Paul describes his role as parent over his "children" the Corinthians.
  • Phil. 2:22 - Paul calls Timothy's service to him as a son serves a "father."
  • 1 Thess. 2:11- Paul compares the Church elders' ministry to the people like a father with his children.
  • 1 Tim. 1:2,18; 2 Tim. 1:2-3 - Paul calls Timothy his true "child" in the faith and his son.
  • Titus 1:4 - Paul calls Titus his true "child" in a common faith. Priests are our spiritual fathers in the family of God.
  • Philemon 10 - Paul says he has become the "father" of Onesimus.
  • Heb. 12:7,9 - emphasizes our earthly "fathers." But these are not just biological but also spiritual (the priests of the Church).
  • 1 Peter 5:13 - Peter refers to himself as father by calling Mark his "son."
  • 1 John 2:1,13,14 - John calls the elders of the Church "fathers."
  • 1 John 2:1,18,28; 3:18; 5:21; 3 John 4 - John calls members of the Church "children."
  • 1 Macc. 2:65 - Mattathias the priest tells his sons that Simeon will be their "father."

The Lord, Mary, the Apostles and Others Refer to Spiritual Leaders as "Fathers"
  • Matt. 3:9; Luke 3:8 - Jesus refers to Abraham as our "father."
  • Mark 11:10 - the people cried out blessed is the kingdom of our "father" David that is coming!
  • Luke 1:32 - God's angel says Jesus will be great and be given the throne of his "father" David.
  • Luke 1:55 - Mary says that He spoke to our "fathers," to Abraham and to his posterity for ever.
  • Luke 1:73 - Zechariah says the oath which he swore to our "father" Abraham.
  • Luke 16:24,30 - Jesus, in His parable about the rich man, says our "father" Abraham.
  • John 4:12 - the Samaritan woman asks Jesus if He is greater than our "father" Jacob.
  • John 7:22 - Jesus refers to the "fathers" who gave the Jews the practice of circumcision.
  • John 8:56 - Jesus tells the Jews your "Father" Abraham rejoiced that he was to see my day.
  • Acts 3:13,25; 5:30 - Peter teaches that the God of our "fathers" glorified His servant Jesus and raised Him to life.
  • Acts 4:25 - Peter and John pray to God and refer to our "father" David.
  • Acts 7:11-12, 15,19,38,44-45,51-52 - Stephen refers to our "fathers" in the faith.
  • Acts 7:32 - Stephen calls God the God of our "fathers."
  • Acts 13:17,32,36; 24:14; 26:6; 28:17,25 - Paul also refers to the God of our "fathers" in the faith.
  • Acts 22:3 - Paul says he was educated according to the strict law of our "fathers."
  • Acts 22:14 - Ananias says the God of our "fathers."
  • Rom. 4:1 - Paul calls Abraham our "forefather."
  • Rom. 4:16-17 - Paul says that Abraham is the "father" of us all and the "father" of many nations.
  • Rom. 9:10 - Paul calls Isaac, a spiritual leader, our "forefather."
  • 1 Cor. 10:1 - Paul says that our "fathers" were all under the cloud, referring to the Old Testament spiritual leaders.
  • Gal. 1:14 - Paul says that he was zealous for the tradition of his "fathers."
  • 2 Tim. 1:3 - Paul thanks God whom he serves with a clear conscience as did his "fathers" in faith.
  • Heb. 1:1 - the author says God spoke of old to our "fathers."
  • Heb. 3:9 - the Holy Spirit says that your "fathers" put me to the test.
  • Heb. 8:9 - God says not like the covenant that I made with their "fathers."
  • James 2:21 - James says was not our "father" Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac?
  • 1 Peter 1:18 - Peter says you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your "fathers."
  • 2 Peter 3:4 - Peter says ever since the "fathers" fell asleep, all things have continued as they were from the beginning.
You have no case.

Obviously, you are twisting Matt. 23:9 to mean what Jesus never intended it to mean. If you still think Catholics call priests "God" by using the title "Father", then you should tell your doctor.

This false charge comes from strict literal interpretation by fundamentalists, evangelicals, JW's, SDA's and rears it's ugly head on nearly every forum constantly, and it has been refuted constantly, and guaranteed to show up again next week.

Catholics are wrong to call priests "father", it says in here:
twisted-bible-300x300.jpg

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kelpha31,

I haven't read those links, and don't intend to unless it has something useful to add to what I am about to say.

I look at the verses you provided and not one of them justifies calling a priest "father". It seems what you have done is used a search engine and e erytime the word "father" is mentioned in the Bible, yoy claim it as justification for going against Matthew 23:9.

Some of the verses (like 1 john 2:13) he is speaking to "dads".... Grown men who have gotten a woman pregnant and have kids. He wasn't addressing Church elders in this verse. That is evident because he talks to "young men" and "children" in the same verse. Theses verses don't apply to Catholic Priests.... Especially because they don't get married and have sex. Right!?!?

Other verses are talking about forefathers like Abraham and David. This is not justification to call your local Priest a father because he is not your forefather. You two probably aren't even blood relatives.

Other verses are simply making a comparison. Not justifiable either.

Added comment: overall, its a pretty small thing to complain about. I'm more concerned with those who try to defend it. You are going to accuse heretoeternity of twisting the scripture (and believe me.... I am NOT a supporter of what he says most of the time) and yet.... Look at what you provide as scripture against what the Catholic Church does, which the Bible says not to do.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FHII

Catholics do not call their priests father. They address them as father. It's not the same thing.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Strange how Mungo and his allies ignore Revelation 17 and 18, in which their religious organization is described as mother of harlots...obviously the protestant churches who still follow some of her basic traditions.
The Roman church according to Revelation 17 has committed spiritual fornication with the leaders of the countries on earth....Rev 18 God says "come out of her my people"...that is very clear, and a warning that should not be ignore, even by the brainwashed defenders of the Roman system and Roman church.
Anti christ..yes I believe so, as this instituation and it's leaders fit the description of antichrist very well, in the epistle of John 1,2,3 John...read it and weep..
You can fudge the truth all you want but yes the Roman church breaches the first four commandments of God, and still calls itself a "christian" organization, well the Biblically informed know better!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
FHII

Catholics do not call their priests father. They address them as father. It's not the same thing.
Mungo, my respect for you has increased greatly in the lasy few weeks, but please. I am not buying that.

Paul called himself an ambassador of Christ and said he spoke in his stead. What he was saying meant his words had as much weight as if Jesus himself was there saying it himself. I respect that and I believe it true today for anyone who truly is a Man of God.

But Paul was an "Apostle". I actually wouldn't have a problem with a priest or "Pappa" calling himself an Apostle. I would challenge them if they really were, but I wouldn't have a problem with them claiming it.

But don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. Again... It ain't the crime, but the defense of it that appalls me.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FHII said:
Mungo, my respect for you has increased greatly in the lasy few weeks, but please. I am not buying that.

Paul called himself an ambassador of Christ and said he spoke in his stead. What he was saying meant his words had as much weight as if Jesus himself was there saying it himself. I respect that and I believe it true today for anyone who truly is a Man of God.

But Paul was an "Apostle". I actually wouldn't have a problem with a priest or "Pappa" calling himself an Apostle. I would challenge them if they really were, but I wouldn't have a problem with them claiming it.

But don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. Again... It ain't the crime, but the defense of it that appalls me.
The issue is one of equivocation which I will explain in a moment.

First let me say that I disagree with your dismissal of kepha's examples. Jesus said call no man father. He did not make exceptions for biological fathers. Nor did he say - do not call your elders father.

Kepha’s examples were of addressing men as ‘father’, or giving them the title ‘father’. If we take Jesus’ words as meaning do not address or title anyone, father, then there is clearly a contradiction in scripture.

The Collins Concise Dictionary gives 28 [yes, twenty eight] different meanings to the verb “call”.
The Concise Oxford English Dictionary gives 8 meanings.
But even with that there is plenty of room for equivocation.

According to a Greek Orthodox priest, who is also a Greek translator (and therefore understands Greek), the word translated “call” in Mt 23:9 is misunderstood. I do not understand the technicalities of Greek but apparently the word used (kalesete) is not any of those used to imply a name or title, but means summon or call forth and is in the second person aorist active subjunctive plural form (and no, I don’t understand what that is!).

It’s Strong G2564
[SIZE=14pt]kaleo[/SIZE]
Akin to the base of G2753; to “call” (properly aloud, but used in a variety of applications, directly or otherwise):—bid, call (forth), (whose, whose sur-) name (was [called]).

It’s the same word that is translated call in Mt 9:13, Mk 2:17 & Lk 5:32. “For I came not to call (kalesai) the righteous, but sinners.”
Or in Lk 14:7-24 where it is translated as ‘invited’ (6 times).

This would be the following from the Collins Concise Dictionary
1. to speak out or utter (words, sounds etc.) loudly so as to attract attention
2. (tr) to ask or order to come
or as the Concise Oxford English Dictionary put it:-
[1.] cry out to (someone) in order to summon them or attract their attention.

This is a different meaning of “call” to that used when Protestants say Catholics call their priests father meaning addressing their priests as father.
Collins Concise Dictionary this would be
8. (tr) to name or style: they called the dog Rover.
9. (tr) designate: they called him a coward.

Or from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary
[3.] give a specified name to. address by a specified name, title, etc.

Following this understanding means there is no contradiction in scripture, or in Catholics “calling”, (i.e. addressing) their priests father.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
heretoeternity said:
Strange how Mungo and his allies ignore Revelation 17 and 18, in which their religious organization is described as mother of harlots...obviously the protestant churches who still follow some of her basic traditions.
The Roman church according to Revelation 17 has committed spiritual fornication with the leaders of the countries on earth....Rev 18 God says "come out of her my people"...that is very clear, and a warning that should not be ignore, even by the brainwashed defenders of the Roman system and Roman church.
Anti christ..yes I believe so, as this instituation and it's leaders fit the description of antichrist very well, in the epistle of John 1,2,3 John...read it and weep..
You can fudge the truth all you want but yes the Roman church breaches the first four commandments of God, and still calls itself a "christian" organization, well the Biblically informed know better!
And what would our resident pagan know about such things?

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
heretoeternity said:
Sounds good Kepka, but why doesn't your "catholic" Roman organization follow the Bible? I am sure you must know the many area which it departs from the Bible in preference for it's own man made doctrines, which of course JESUS condemns...do you still call yourself "Christian', or manybe should be papal follower right?
i have studied CAtholicism comparatively speaking, in-depth... been Catholic in 1 form or another all my life... been outside the Church for years as well... read many books on Church history and etc.. I have read the entire Bible... (and heard the Bible over and over again via daily Mass.. If you go to daily Mass for 3 yrs, you hear something like 90% of the Bible)

and you are so terribly wrong saying the Church does not follow Scripture... It just doesn't follow YOUR interpretation thereof... apparently

In any case, once again, i invoke the name of Scott Hahn, someone who once absolutely hated (like you probably) the Catholic Church. He (unlike you?) set out to show through diligent STUDY that the Catholic Church was wrong... read evey theology book he could find...(already "kn ew" the Bible)

long-story-short, he became Catholic, now teaching at a Catholic university in STeubenville, OH

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
heretoeternity said:
Strange how Mungo and his allies ignore Revelation 17 and 18, in which their religious organization is described as mother of harlots...
Where in the Bible does it say "The CAtholic Church is the mother of harlots"?

Inquiring minds wanna know