When is a christian NOT a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ya if you want me to get that this time of year you gotta tag me k, like you...um, didnt tag Helen.

Come come Mark, impute integrity, you were probably not even in his thoughts.
;)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When one first comes to Jesus Christ as his Saviour, he may not know much, but he believes what he has heard. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Saviour. Salvation is found in Him. And...the only reason he believes that is because God has opened his eyes to see it, else he would never see it.

So, yes, that is all that is required. The Trinity, baptisms, and many other things matter to me. But that doesn't change ones initial salvation. Simple belief in Christ as the Son of God and Saviour is all that is required....but, that is required.

Stranger

Thank you, nice , clear , and uncomplicated...Amen agree.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi, ok, I’ll put in my penny and a half worth, not quite two cents. :)

Jesus said “you must be born again”

So I’m going to go with those that are “born again” are Christians, those that aren’t, aren't.

(my understanding)

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

Thank you. And I agree...
But I am not going to let you get away quite that easily. :)

If you were Admin of some forum somewhere, when you saw posts of all your born-again believing membership...what would 'give you pause' in something someone wrote, to question is they were indeed "a true Christian"?

Skip it if you don't wish to answer... no sweat :)

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. And I agree...
But I am not going to let you get away quite that easily. :)

If you were Admin of some forum somewhere, when you saw posts of all your born-again believing membership...what would 'give you pause' in something someone wrote, to question is they were indeed "a true Christian"?

Skip it if you don't wish to answer... no sweat :)

That’s ok, but;

That’s a real tough one, for scripture uses the term “false brethren” on a couple of instances.

Whether someone is a true Christian (born again) I think only God can say definitively.

That being said, I look for fruit. By that I mean can I touch their “Christ in them”. If I can’t, doesn't mean there not saved, but it does give me great pause. If that is the case, I do the best I can, to love them for where their at. And try to point them to their personal relationship with Christ. And try to strengthen that one and one relationship.

(My thinks)

Blessings,

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
For me it's easy H...
I believe that to be called a Christian one has to believe that Jesus came from God to teach us how to belong to the Kingdom of God here and which will transfer to heaven....
One has to believe that Jesus died for atonement purposes,,,however they want to understand that.

That Jesus resurrected from the dead, which is proof of who He is or our faith is worth nothing.

They have to be disciples of Christ, which just means that they learn from Him and follow Him as their leader.

One has to accept the Trinity which means that there's a:
God
Son
Holy Spirit

How they understand that is what I call doctrine, and doctrine does not say us...Jesus does. IOW, they might misunderstand...but WHO understands it?

Can't think of anything else.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That’s ok, but;

That’s a real tough one, for scripture uses the term “false brethren” on a couple of instances.

Whether someone is a true Christian (born again) I think only God can say definitively.

That being said, I look for fruit. By that I mean can I touch their “Christ in them”. If I can’t, doesn't mean there not saved, but it does give me great pause. If that is the case, I do the best I can, to love them for where their at. And try to point them to their personal relationship with Christ. And try to strengthen that one and one relationship.

(My thinks)

Blessings,

When you read false brethren in the N.T. is doe NOT mean false born again believers.
They were battling a lot of heresies at that time,,,persons coming into the church with all sorts of weird ideas...
The false brethren are these person...like when John says they left us because they were not of us. He was speaking about gnostics...not unbelievers or believers that left.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That’s ok, but;

(My thinks)

Blessings,

Amen , I like it...thanks for answering it...hope I didn't push too hard. :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My short answer is that a Christian must believe Jesus is who he said he is and did what he said he would do. He said he was the son of God. He at times insinuated he was God. He said he would raise from the dead and he alone was the door to eternal life.

That being said....

- I don't agree with the Machine Creed.
- I believe through scripture that a child of God or Christian can be a babe and not know much or can be full of wisdom and knowledge.
-. Even so, the babe in Christ is 100% a Christian as much as an elder is.
-. There are Christians out there who have not manifested themselves as such, and don't even know they are.
- there are also people who call themselves Christians, but will manifest they aren't. Therefore, they aren't really Christians.
-. Yet, that is not for us to know and certainly not for us to act upon until it is manifested.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My short answer is that a Christian must believe Jesus is who he said he is and did what he said he would do. He said he was the son of God. He at times insinuated he was God. He said he would raise from the dead and he alone was the door to eternal life.

That being said....

- I don't agree with the Machine Creed.
- I believe through scripture that a child of God or Christian can be a babe and not know much or can be full of wisdom and knowledge.
-. Even so, the babe in Christ is 100% a Christian as much as an elder is.
-. There are Christians out there who have not manifested themselves as such, and don't even know they are.
- there are also people who call themselves Christians, but will manifest they aren't. Therefore, they aren't really Christians.
-. Yet, that is not for us to know and certainly not for us to act upon until it is manifested.
I agree with you but could you clarify how there are Christians out there who have not manifested themselves as such,and don't even know they are...

How does one NOT know they are Christian (born again).?

Reactions: FHII

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you read false brethren in the N.T. is doe NOT mean false born again believers.
They were battling a lot of heresies at that time,,,persons coming into the church with all sorts of weird ideas...
The false brethren are these person...like when John says they left us because they were not of us. He was speaking about gnostics...not unbelievers or believers that left.

I think why they were called false brethren isn’t the issue, just that they were called false brethren, irrespective of the reason.

(My thinks)

Blessings,

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For me it's easy H...
I believe that to be called a Christian one has to believe that Jesus came from God to teach us how to belong to the Kingdom of God here and which will transfer to heaven....
One has to believe that Jesus died for atonement purposes,,,however they want to understand that.

That Jesus resurrected from the dead, which is proof of who He is or our faith is worth nothing.

They have to be disciples of Christ, which just means that they learn from Him and follow Him as their leader.

One has to accept the Trinity which means that there's a:
God
Son
Holy Spirit

How they understand that is what I call doctrine, and doctrine does not say us...Jesus does. IOW, they might misunderstand...but WHO understands it?

Can't think of anything else.

Thanks for the response.

So..what would cause you to draw a line in the sand and say that someone was not a true Christian? What words, teaching , or actions of somebody would make you say- "You are not a true Christian because of this and that and the other."

( I am also thinking of forums as well as real life)

I notice you were still here 4 mins ago!! How come you are not in bed...I make it 2.40am over there!!!

Reactions: GodsGrace
B

Butterfly

Hi Helen,
I agree with many of the posts that define a Christian - but anyone can say ' They believe in Christ, why he came, who he was / is / that they believe in scripture / the trinity ect etc. Since joining the forum there have been a few ' obvious ' members who definately convey ' non Christian views '
( but they outwardly admit that they are athiest and are posting in the 5% of the forum where they are allowed to post )
When you want to become a member of a church you have to give your testimony, that is then evaluated by elders, and the membership and a vote is taken - I have been at some of the meetings where a persons personality is evaluated, and picked to pieces , despite the fact that the persons testimony was perfectly sound. I was ashamed to be part of that church at the time - it was horrible. I am pretty sure that all of us here believe we are Christians , but boy are we a diverse family , and don't we just love bickering with our siblings !!
We have had quite a few members who have come from sites that claim ' they are not Christians ' and banned them because they have not liked what they have said - but often as not it's because they don't fit in with the theology of the people who run it.
Can we really police a forum in that way ?
I did have a train of thought, but it's 12:30 in the morning and I have done a long shift today - and I have a long shift tomorrow- so I will leave this discussion to the rest of you xxxx
You know sometimes the forum reminds me of church meetings - as compared to Sunday morning - you never quite forget that first experience of seeing ' the other side ' of the people you worship with !!
Right I am getting some sleep xx
Rita xx

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Thank you, nice , clear , and uncomplicated...Amen agree.
if only that were true, but at the very least it misrepresents the Spirit of the v that would be Quoted to support it, and beliefs will not ever be judged in the manner that is implied, and cannot be Quoted anywhere.

What amounts to a magic incantation has replaced our faith, and we're going to Mars now, and cant wait to die for our lives to begin. That is the salvation that Strangers offer

Just freeze your mind on a certain concept, and believe it to be true no matter what evidence to the contrary presents itself later.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Helen,
I agree with many of the posts that define a Christian - but anyone can say ' They believe in Christ, why he came, who he was / is / that they believe in scripture / the trinity ect etc. Since joining the forum there have been a few ' obvious ' members who definately convey ' non Christian views '
( but they outwardly admit that they are athiest and are posting in the 5% of the forum where they are allowed to post )
When you want to become a member of a church you have to give your testimony, that is then evaluated by elders, and the membership and a vote is taken - I have been at some of the meetings where a persons personality is evaluated, and picked to pieces , despite the fact that the persons testimony was perfectly sound. I was ashamed to be part of that church at the time - it was horrible. I am pretty sure that all of us here believe we are Christians , but boy are we a diverse family , and don't we just love bickering with our siblings !!
We have had quite a few members who have come from sites that claim ' they are not Christians ' and banned them because they have not liked what they have said - but often as not it's because they don't fit in with the theology of the people who run it.
Can we really police a forum in that way ?
I did have a train of thought, but it's 12:30 in the morning and I have done a long shift today - and I have a long shift tomorrow- so I will leave this discussion to the rest of you xxxx
You know sometimes the forum reminds me of church meetings - as compared to Sunday morning - you never quite forget that first experience of seeing ' the other side ' of the people you worship with !!
Right I am getting some sleep xx
Rita xx
Are there Elders or counselors on here that I can talk with privately, that can help me In learning?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are there Elders or counselors on here that I can talk with privately, that can help me In learning?

Josho and rockytopva are , but so many of the 'Encounter Team' don't come on here much.
The regulars on here that I would recommend to talk to , would for me be @Hidden In Him and @Episkopos @amadeus ...you would need to talk to someone who checked in here often, and they pretty much do check in quite often. They are 'well seasoned' men who are used to ministry .

Bless you...Helen

Reactions: Nancy and JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Josho and rockytopva are , but so many of the 'Encounter Team' don't come on here much.
The regulars on here that I would recommend to talk to , would for me be @Hidden In Him and @Episkopos @amadeus ...you would need to talk to someone who checked in here often, and they pretty much do check in quite often. They are 'well seasoned' men who are used to ministry .

Bless you...Helen
Thank you Helen.