When is a christian NOT a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: amadeus

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jehovah's Witnesses -- who deny the deity of Christ -- sincerely believe that they are the true Christians and all the others are false.
There are many "Christians" who deny that Jesus is God, a VERY dangerous position to take.
John 1 The Word was God.

One person here is obsessed with denying the Father and the Son. Is he a Christian?
1 John 2:22 (NKJV)
22 He is ANTICHRIST who denies the Father and the Son.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As we judge so too shall we be judged?

Maybe, we might leave knowledge of who is in Christ to the eternal one of peace and love who knows . And by name.

I think our judgement, being human and personal when we would use what we believe as a litmus test for what would be judged by us pertaining to the faith of others, would be presumptuous and unfair to them.

I think we honor our community in the spirit if we choose to lift people up. :) Rather than chipping away at them because we may feel our beliefs render that entitlement.

4f144bd5d3c60bd9d3f8fa7007003fbb.jpg

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I didn't get an invite....that hurt.:(

I didn't either. Well, I got one but never received it. So much for the tag system, Lol.
Or maybe the Thread subject should read :-

When is a christian not a christian???????

In short, when they are excommunicated by the church in the power of the Holy Spirit. But this was the answer in New Testament times. Now it's a colossal mess. Excommunication is handled by boards of elders, and rarely at the leading and empowerment of the Holy Spirit speaking through divine utterance. So one could be excommunicated and actually be a saint of God, while others could be retained (many are) who are not.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great thread topic. I like what Jesus says on the topic. What I love about Jesus' words is that it not about feelings or paying lip service to action less belief. Only those who act (in following Jesus) are Christians.

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples:

If any of you want to be my followers, you must forget about yourself. You must take up your cross and follow me. 25 If you want to save your life,[a] you will destroy it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find it. 26 What will you gain, if you own the whole world but destroy yourself? What would you give to get back your soul?

Matthew 16:24-26 (CEV)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Helen asked,
"When is a christian NOT a Christian?"

My answer is very simple: When they aren't born again.

Many people who call themselves Christian are like my sister who used go to church regularly but had no desire to born again. Going to church was the respectable thing to do. Or others go out of fear of falling foul of priests or because they want to show off their new clothes or meet with friends.

Reactions: amigo de christo

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen asked,

Many people who call themselves Christian are like my sister who used go to church regularly but had no desire to born again. Going to church was the respectable thing to do. Or others go out of fear of falling foul of priests or because they want to show off their new clothes or meet with friends.
I consider that someone might be a Christian who is not born again; under loosely defined terms as a "nominal Christian" (Christian in name only).

A Christian is anyone who basically says to Jesus, "Lord, Lord."

See Matthew 7:21.

If the question is, "When is a Christian ever not going to heaven?", then you are right on the money, @Pearl.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen asked,

how to become born again?

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
( EDIT:- addition....I am added this and changed the heading.
I am NOT after a list of verses about salvation...but I want to hear 'from you'.
I changed the heading when responding to @Enoch111 's post below. )
thanks....
-------

I was thinking it would be interesting what other Christians here think a Christian is...
AND who is 'allowed' to call themselves that?

(
We'd like you in on this too @lforrest don't want you missing this post. :) )

There was some chatter the other day about who was 'allowed' to have "Christian" under their avatar and who should put 'Other Faith', in it's place. ( locking them out of 95% of the forum boards)
So, who defines who can call themselves a christian?

The Nicene creed was mentioned. > for those who don't know it , or have forgotten its content. Nicene Creed

I for one don't agree with a line at the end of it... re the Holy Spirit. It says:-
"He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified."

I don't agree with that... I don't care if they were wise old men with beards.
I don't find that (bolded line) anywhere in the bible at all. In fact it is says He points TO the Father and Son. ( away from Himself)

The Nicene Creed would also define as none-christian any who have a different interpretation of what is called "The Trinity" ...with all the gobbledegook that goes with it about whether it is three persons in one, or one person with three distinct expressions...blah blah blah...
So, if the Nicene Creed is the acid test....are the none trinitarians not christians along with me...( who doesn't believe the Holy Spirit wants to be 'worshipped and glorified'. )

So, who says who is a christian, and who is not. :)

What do all of you have to say?

.....Helen
The real question should have been. When does a child of God stop being a child of God. Because many will stand before the Lord proclaiming to be Christians and Christ will say depart from me I never knew you.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When is a christain not a christain . WHEN THEY LIVED LIKE I DID ONCE . Sure they can profess JESUS CHRIST
but just like me , they live in darkness .
WHEN is a christain not a christain . WHEN THEIR FRUITS PROVE IT , JUST LIKE MINE DID ONCE .
IF we live in sin , in darkness and yet say we know HIM , WE LIE and do not the truth .
IF this offends , then it offends . BUT I KNOW THE FALSE LIAR I ONCE WAS and i know many are just as i once was .
THEIR FRUITS are proving they are just like i once was . THIS GEN , or GENERATION , this church age as well as the world
are in dire , deadly and dire trouble . I look not for approval of men , the truth i say has caused most to shun me
I weep for them . I sure do . KNOWING they are no more lost than i once was . THUS by grace i point them to
ONE JESUS . THE BIBLICAL ONE . FOR ANY OTHER JESUS , AINT JESUS . BY grace i point them to the doctrine
also of the apostels , FOR ANY OTHER DOCTRINE WHICH CONTRADICTS IS A LIE .
WE are in dire trouble . I say we , cause i speak of this generation and because i desire none to perish . LOVE , the LOVE
of GOD does just that .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen asked,

I see truth in this . But let me ask you this . HOW does one Know they are born again .
I mean i see many who claim this , yet their fruits sure do prove otherwise . JUST LIKE MINE DID ONCE .
SO i am not accusing anyone . I was lost , but so too are many today who even profess TO KNOW JESUS , JUST LIKE I DID AS WELL .
What a liar i was . What darkness i walked in and yet could still say and profess JESUS .
SO , the question goes back to this , HOW DO WE KNOW our conversion is real , HOW DO WE KNOW we are born again .
WELL , WHAT SPIRIT DO WE FOLLOW . THE HOLY ONE , as in HOLY , or do we follow the flesh
and still love the things of this world . Still hold to the same cares and pleasures in life , AS I TOO ONCE DID .
OH we who are Born again , FOR SURE KNOW IT . But many might think they are , and yet , HELLO THEY JUST LIKE I WAS ONCE .
NOT born of the HOLY SPIRIT , NOT following the BIBLICAL JESUS , but instead following a spirit that feeds the flesh .
IF OUR JESUS is contrary to the bibilcal one , THEN YOU LIKE I ONCE WAS . WE are following satan who is giving us
a wordly version of jesus , who in fact is a lie . LET US LEARN OUR BIBLES for ourselves . LET us examine
if we are following men or the JESUS of ..................THE BIBLE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some people, like the Catholics for instance, believe they are born again when they are baptised as infants. This is wrong teaching. You can only be born spiritually (be born again) when you see your need for Jesus and respond to his call. Now surely people will know if they've done that or not. Although there are those who say they are born again and we can't always tell for sure - but God can. My pastor friend Bob says that you can tell a wolf in sheep's clothing from their footprints.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people, like the Catholics for instance, believe they are born again when they are baptised as infants. This is wrong teaching. You can only be born spiritually (be born again) when you see your need for Jesus and respond to his call. Now surely people will know if they've done that or not. Although there are those who say they are born again and we can't always tell for sure - but God can. My pastor friend Bob says that you can tell a wolf in sheep's clothing from their footprints.
Leap up and praise the LORD .
Let us learn our bibles well . Let us learn JESUS .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Infant baptism is not valid because it is not a confession of Jesus before men.

However, if, in your baptism, you do confess Jesus before men; and if you repent and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins: the Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to you (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39).

Also of note in holy scripture is Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8; which verses tell us that if we confess Jesus before men in baptism (or in any other way), Jesus will also confess us before the Father and before His angels. I believe that such a thing is salvation. Identifying with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection makes it more solid of a commitment; so I encourage everyone to "get this one done".