When is 'Speaking in Tongues', true versus false.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you knew what scripture says it wouldn't be so funny.

That should be saying .."If you knew what I BELIEVE and say that scripture says..."

What YOU say that it says, and what it actually says are very different things Dave.

D

Dave L

That should be saying .."If you knew what I BELIEVE and say that scripture says..."

What YOU say that it says, and what it actually says are very different things Dave.
If you cannot believe scripture who or what can you believe?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you cannot believe scripture who or what can you believe?

Oh I believe and treasure scripture just fine ...just not your twisted version and twisted interpretation on what it actually SAYS!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and amadeus
D

Dave L

Oh I believe and treasure scripture just find ...just not your twisted version and twisted interpretation on what it actually SAYS!!!
My view appears twisted when you ignore the rest of scripture on the matter.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul said, "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you." 1 Corinthians 14:18

And look at what a powerful ministry he had. There would certainly be more power in the church if we all used our gift of tongues more. Whatever you think you know Dave L you are missing out by refusing God's gift.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie,
No one speaks in tongues today,nobody.
Tongues were languages, not rhyming sounds.
Some mumble noises today making believe they are speaking something supernatural.
This is a poor attempt to gain an assurance of salvation, and is used by people who are too lazy to study scripture and actually live and work for God.
It is similar to a religious person praying a rosary bead to Mary...it is fruitless religion
I would have to agree..

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would have to agree..
More than 40 years now of talking with God using the gift He gave to me. Yet, here you and others deny that it is really from God...following the words of men rather than really talking with God about it.

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:" I Cor 14:18

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:36

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More than 40 years now of talking with God using the gift He gave to me. Yet, here you and others deny that it is really from God...following the words of men rather than really talking with God about it.

"I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:" I Cor 14:18

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:36
i dont understand tongues never spoke them .i figure if God wants me to he will give it . i been in some services where it sounds like gabbering. i been in service where one spoke. then silence then reinterpretation . i have heard all kinds teaching on the subject some claim you don't have the Holy Ghost others not filled and no power.i do see it as a gift not all have that gift .that is my basic belief . but i do reject some of the things i have heard . some say one is not saved until they have spoke .i have many pentecostal friends i give them respect . then some say gifts left after the apostle age . i think the main issue at hand is the confusion in the Body of Christ . see if Tongues is used in a service . i want it felt deep within me . something i know it was of God . i been in baptist services some things said and dom was not of God .. so i am in no means kicking tongues to the curb. just being up front with you.. yes i know some who use tongues lives for the devil . we see issues in all venoms

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont understand tongues never spoke them .i figure if God wants me to he will give it . i been in some services where it sounds like gabbering. i been in service where one spoke. then silence then reinterpretation . i have heard all kinds teaching on the subject some claim you don't have the Holy Ghost others not filled and no power.i do see it as a gift not all have that gift .that is my basic belief . but i do reject some of the things i have heard . some say one is not saved until they have spoke .i have many pentecostal friends i give them respect . then some say gifts left after the apostle age . i think the main issue at hand is the confusion in the Body of Christ . see if Tongues is used in a service . i want it felt deep within me . something i know it was of God . i been in baptist services some things said and dom was not of God .. so i am in no means kicking tongues to the curb. just being up front with you.. yes i know some who use tongues lives for the devil . we see issues in all venoms
There are false prophets and false manifestations of the Spirit all around us. Some of them are simply deluded rather than blatantly going against what they believe is truth.

My own belief is that gifts of tongues are not given to every believer. Also there is more than one gift of tongues. When I made a study of it many years ago I encountered not less than three different ones. Now as you see by this thread alone some people deny that anyone has such a gift anymore. Obviously by what I write in this post, I disagree with that.

Often, people simply go along with what their particular church group teaches on things like this, without looking seriously into it themselves. They can believe what they want, but they should not come to a forum like this and insist this is correct simply because it is what they have heard or experienced. Who is that helping?

As you no doubt have seen this forum consists of many different beliefs, some quite contradictory on almost any subject. Some people are serious about their beliefs, but some, I believe, simply like to argue.

I don't try to push my own beliefs on anyone, but I am willing to and sometimes I am led by the Spirit to share or discuss them with people who are really interested as opposed to simply wanting to prove they are right and I am wrong. Only God can do that and then only if a person open himself up to allow God to do it. This is what our free will amounts to... We can go against God. He gave us the authority. He wants us to give it back to Him, but most people most of the time are really unwilling to do that. It is our choice while we have time.

t

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are false prophets and false manifestations of the Spirit all around us. Some of them are simply deluded rather than blatantly going against what they believe is truth.

My own belief is that gifts of tongues are not given to every believer. Also there is more than one gift of tongues. When I made a study of it many years ago I encountered not less than three different ones. Now as you see by this thread alone some people deny that anyone has such a gift anymore. Obviously by what I write in this post, I disagree with that.

Often, people simply go along with what their particular church group teaches on things like this, without looking seriously into it themselves. They can believe what they want, but they should not come to a forum like this and insist this is correct simply because it is what they have heard or experienced. Who is that helping?

As you no doubt have seen this forum consists of many different beliefs, some quite contradictory on almost any subject. Some people are serious about their beliefs, but some, I believe, simply like to argue.

I don't try to push my own beliefs on anyone, but I am willing to and sometimes I am led by the Spirit to share or discuss them with people who are really interested as opposed to simply wanting to prove they are right and I am wrong. Only God can do that and then only if a person open himself up to allow God to do it. This is what our free will amounts to... We can go against God. He gave us the authority. He wants us to give it back to Him, but most people most of the time are really unwilling to do that. It is our choice while we have time.

t
interesting i like what you say i agree i see and hear so much strange fire .it blows my mind .i will listen to any reasonable doctrine..but i decide on my own . i have heard a AOG preacher in a baptist church .. you would never know listening to him. the word is the word. leave your personal belief behind... stick with the word

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
interesting i like what you say i agree i see and hear so much strange fire .it blows my mind .i will listen to any reasonable doctrine..but i decide on my own . i have heard a AOG preacher in a baptist church .. you would never know listening to him. the word is the word. leave your personal belief behind... stick with the word
Give God the glory!

Reactions: Nancy

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Babbling is not speaking in tongues by any stretch.
People are finally seeing that there was a holy purpose given to those who were given the gift, not just self induced babbling or worse allowing evil to take a hold and nonsense sounds come out.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are finally seeing that there was a holy purpose given to those who were given the gift, not just self induced babbling or worse allowing evil to take a hold and nonsense sounds come out.

Unfortunately, Dave L. left this forum last year. He was my favorite Calvinist on here...he was kind and did not come back with nasty, snarky self-righteous remarks. I miss him.

Reactions: Helen