When is the last day?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 1:

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness He called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
The first day is the beginning of light and physical time. The last day is the end of physical space-time as we know it.

The Bible talks about "last days" (plural) with multiple meanings:

Gen 49:

1 And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days.
Isa 2:

2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
Act 2:

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
2Pe 3:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts
The Bible speaks of a future last day (singular) with only one meaning.

John 11:

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day
John 12:

48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
The last day is the day of resurrection and the end of physical time.

John 5:

28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
Jesus was serious about the last day, John 6:

39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”
44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
The last day is the end of physical time and the beginning of a new experience of eternal time.

See also What is the last day?.

Reactions: DavidTaylor

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

The first day is the beginning of light and physical time. The last day is the end of physical space-time as we know it.

Gen 49:

Isa 2:

Act 2:

2Pe 3:

John 11:

John 12:

John 5:

The last day is the end of physical time and the beginning of a new experience of eternal time.

But is my last day equal to the last day of carnal men or the last day of planet Earth?

Should I be concerned with those others if my own last day precedes them? I will soon be 80 years old and my physical health is declining. Is it likely I will see what you are talking about? Should I be concerned with them.
Mt 10:22And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

For me does it seems likely that Jesus is speaking to me of other than the end of my personal course as a man of flesh following the lead of the Spirit?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather, the "last day" is the end of a series.

Daniel 12:7-13 KJV
7) And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.
8) And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
9) And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
10) Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
11) And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
12) Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.
13) But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Much love!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But is my last day equal to the last day of carnal men or the last day of planet Earth?

Should I be concerned with those others if my own last day precedes them? I will soon be 80 years old and my physical health is declining. Is it likely I will see what you are talking about? Should I be concerned with them.
Mt 10:22And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

For me does it seems likely that Jesus is speaking to me of other than the end of my personal course as a man of flesh following the lead of the Spirit?
God bless you, old man :)

Since my retirement, I try to live every day as if it is my last :)

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Gen 49:

Isa 2:

Act 2:

2Pe 3:

John 11:

John 12:

John 5:

Harmonizes perfectly from John’s Gospel account of what happens on the last day, with John’s Revelation account of what happens on the last day, at the last trumpet…

“heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished

“And the seventh angel sounded: And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants”

“And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.”

The same Last Trumpet that Paul, Hosea, and Job and talked about related to when death ends.

at his coming. Then cometh the end…The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed…then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?”

“I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction

“So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come. Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee…For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I will be living with Christ forever, I won't have a last day.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does this mean if I call you "old friend"--you will agree?! ;)

I know a thing or two about this subject.

Seriously, it is written of every matter within our times in this world, "but each one in his own order." Which does not speak of the Godly side of the equation, but only the worldly side. As for the Godly side, we were all condemned to death together in Adam--and all who are in Christ--we all arrive in Paradise...together!

If I don't see you before--no worry, no hurry--see you on the other side!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this mean if I call you "old friend"--you will agree?! ;)

That's me for certain... old and also a friend. Of course there are days when I am feeling almost like a spring chicken, but more often I creep along with pain as a companion.

I know a thing or two about this subject.
Even so. The process of aging begins for many probably when they hit 30. Just wait for them golden years. Is this "golden years" a positive description? Give God the glory!
Seriously, it is written of every matter within our times in this world, "but each one in his own order." Which does not speak of the Godly side of the equation, but only the worldly side. As for the Godly side, we were all condemned to death together in Adam--and all who are in Christ--we all arrive in Paradise...together!
Yes! What is time to God and what will it be for us when and if we are really like Him?
If I don't see you before--no worry, no hurry--see you on the other side!
Amen and God speed!

Reactions: ScottA

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Gen 49:

Isa 2:

Act 2:

2Pe 3:

John 11:

John 12:

John 5:

I don't anticipate there will be a last day.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't anticipate there will be a last day.
Really??? Even though Jesus said there will be?

Four times in John 6:39. 40. 44. 54 Jesus declared, "I will raise him up on the last day."

Matthew 24:29-31 reads:

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

To God Be The Glory

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God the Father has appointed a last day that only he knows. That way nobody can be ready for it and wait to repent, neither man nor devil may know for good reason.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only last day for me, whether it is known to me or not is the day that I die. Be it a sickness that gets worse, or perhaps being taken in sleep, or something that could be worse however death will be the last day from my perspective.

The last days for them was upon them which was the coming return of Jesus for his bride, and the wrath of God being poured out on Israel in a sign of divorcement for their crime of putting Jesus to death.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really??? Even though Jesus said there will be?

Four times in John 6:39. 40. 44. 54 Jesus declared, "I will raise him up on the last day."

Matthew 24:29-31 reads:

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

To God Be The Glory
So you think we will cease to exist at some point?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When is the last day?​

The day before the first day of the Age (αἰών) to Come?

In 1 Corinthians 10:11, Paul uses the intriguing phrase, "The ends (or goals, purposes) of the Ages".

Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. (1 Corinthians 10:11)​
There is a recurring theme running through the New Testament about the current "Age" or "World" ending and a new one about to begin. Look for it, but when thinking about the "end of the world", always keep in mind the Bible is talking about a change. There is another "World to Come". Intriguingly, we may be in an overlap point, where one αἰών is ending and another αἰών has already begun but has not yet been fully consummated.

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only last day for me, whether it is known to me or not is the day that I die. Be it a sickness that gets worse, or perhaps being taken in sleep, or something that could be worse however death will be the last day from my perspective.

The last days for them was upon them which was the coming return of Jesus for his bride, and the wrath of God being poured out on Israel in a sign of divorcement for their crime of putting Jesus to death.
Where do you read the above?

In fact, when God divorced Israel, the signpost was "the tearing in half of the veil in the temple."

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you think we will cease to exist at some point?
Only for the unsaved after judgement day!

Jesus will come to gather His elect, as we read in 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18:

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

To God Be The Glory