When was Jesus born?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to make a Christmas Video this year to answer a question, which has undoubtedly been answered many times before. But as many teachers can tell you, the teacher often learns more than the student. So, in a sense, this video offers me an occasion to learn more about this subject along with you. And what better place to begin than the account of the nativity found in the gospel of Luke?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was crucified in 33AD. Daniel 9:27 tells us that Jesus' ministry would last 3.5 years (half of a "week" of seven years). He began his ministry when he was thirty years old (Luke 3:23). Therefore he would have been born 33.5 years before Passover 33AD, which is about the beginning of October in 1BC - not 3BC.

Jesus was crucified on the 14th Nisan 33AD (3rd April - see Hebrew calendar), and 6 months before that would have been 7th or 8th October.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was crucified in 33AD. Daniel 9:27 tells us that Jesus' ministry would last 3.5 years (half of a "week" of seven years). He began his ministry when he was thirty years old (Luke 3:23). Therefore he would have been born 33.5 years before Passover 33AD, which is about the beginning of October in 1BC - not 3BC.

Jesus was crucified on the 14th Nisan 33AD (3rd April - see Hebrew calendar), and 6 months before that would have been 7th or 8th October.
Your reasoning is sound except somewhere along the way our calendar got messed up.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 8:4 And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

Ararat = "the curse reversed: precipitation of curse"

I see a picture in my mind of Baby Jesus resting between Mary's bosom.

Neh 8:14 And they found written in the law which the LORD had commanded by Moses, that the children of Israel should dwell in booths in the feast of the seventh month:

Luk 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
Luk 2:2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria. )
Luk 2:3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
Luk 2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David: )
Luk 2:5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
Luk 2:6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
Luk 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Luk 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
Luk 2:9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
Luk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
Luk 2:12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
Luk 2:13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Lev 23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.

Lev 25:9 Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.

Jubile can be a sound for war or a sound for joy:
shout of joy (with religious impulse)

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Neh 8:17 And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths, and sat under the booths: for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so. And there was very great gladness.

thicket, covert, booth
booth (rude or temporary shelter)

a crib, a manger
a crib (for fodder):—manger, stall.

I believe it was sometime during the feast of tabernacles.

Sukkot, commonly called the Feast of Tabernacles or in some translations the Festival of Shelters, and known also as the Feast of Ingathering, is a biblical Jewish holiday celebrated on the 15th day of the seventh month, Tishrei.

The precise origin of assigning December 25 as the birth date of Jesus is unclear. The New Testament provides no clues in this regard. December 25 was first identified as the date of Jesus’ birth by Sextus Julius Africanus in 221 and later became the universally accepted date. One widespread explanation of the origin of this date is that December 25 was the Christianizing of the dies solis invicti nati (“day of the birth of the unconquered sun”), a popular holiday in the Roman Empire that celebrated the winter solstice as a symbol of the resurgence of the sun, the casting away of winter and the heralding of the rebirth of spring and summer. Indeed, after December 25 had become widely accepted as the date of Jesus’ birth, Christian writers frequently made the connection between the rebirth of the sun and the birth of the Son. One of the difficulties with this view is that it suggests a nonchalant willingness on the part of the Christian church to appropriate a pagan festival when the early church was so intent on distinguishing itself categorically from pagan beliefs and practices.

Christmas | Origin, Definition, Traditions, History, & Facts

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you said reminds me of Malachi 4, the sun will rise with healing in its wings.

Thanks for your link. I will need to check it out.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love Malachi...so apt in its themes for today, even though it's about Israel rather than the church...
Yes, I agree. When I get time, I want to do a series of videos on the "Day of the Lord."

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CadyandZoe It's sometimes possible to get fixated on dates at the expense of doctrine, isn't it?
Yes, What you say is quite right. Nonetheless, my original concern was vindication of the scriptural accounts for those who might have had a question. The more I look into these accounts, and the more I discover the veracity of the Biblical text, the greater my confidence in them.

I spent many hours discussing the inerrancy of the scriptures with folks and the major concern was the historicity of the Biblical account. Does the Bible speak truthfully about historical events? I think so. Doctrine is very important, and proving the historicity of the text helps us gain confidence in the Biblical authors. One could argue, and many have, that if the Biblical authors couldn't get the facts right, how can we trust them to get the doctrine right?

So, I thought during this wonderful season of hope and light and joy, I would do my part to encourage everyone to keep believing, set your hope on things above, and remember the one who will make it all possible.

Blessings farouk.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to make a Christmas Video this year to answer a question, which has undoubtedly been answered many times before. But as many teachers can tell you, the teacher often learns more than the student. So, in a sense, this video offers me an occasion to learn more about this subject along with you. And what better place to begin than the account of the nativity found in the gospel of Luke?
there are some theories that say the birth of Christ could be as much as 3 three years before what is presumed the beginning of the Gregorian calendar. and there's no exact date or day of the year that seems provable beyond a doubt. there have been some efforts to find the star mentioned by using astronomy software.

Its considered that the RCC adopted a holiday celebrated in the empire and decided to celebrate the birth of Christ on that holiday, and considering the influence of the RCC, the celebration became known as Christmas from Christ-Mass. Mass is what a RCC service is called.

but it started out as a gentile holiday, you'll have to look it up.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the whole scheme of things the exact date really doesn't matter; what matters is that He was born and that we recognise the reason for the season.

Reactions: amadeus

Mosheli

Jul 2, 2020
Wellington
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
For the year I can only narrow Jesus down to between 12 bc and 34 ad at the most from the following data.

Augustus Caesar: 44/43/42-31/30/28/27/19 bc - 14 ad.

Cyrenius/Quirinus: 14 bc (Cyrene), 12 bc (consul), 12/11-2/1 bc or 10-7 bc or 5-3 bc or 4-1 bc, 6/7-11/12 ad.

Census: 69 bc (RGA), Julius Caesar decreed Jews of Jerusalem pay annual tribute, 30 bc (Egypt), 28 bc (Suetonius, RGA), 27 bc (Gaul), 12 bc (Gaul), census of Herod 12 bc? 12/11 bc (Dio Cassius)? 9 bc (Egypt), 9/8/7 bc (Censorinus, RGA, Josephus, Tertullian), 7/6 bc? 7 bc (Cyrene), 3 bc (mass oath), 7 ad, 13/14, 20, 33/34, 104 (Egypt), 312 (indiction).

Herod the Great: 47/44/41/40/38/37-4/1 bc or 3 ad (ASC).

Star: 66 bc (Jupiter/Saturn)? 44 bc (Caesar's comet), 17 bc (comet)? 12/11/9 bc (Halley's), 9 bc (Uranus/Saturn), 7/6 bc (Jupiter/Saturn), 6 bc (Uranus & Venus), 6 bc (Jupiter/Moon/Saturn), 5 bc (object/comet/nova), 4 bc (comet), 4 bc (comet & conjunction in Pisces), 3 bc (Venus/Saturn), 3 bc (Jupiter & Venus in Leo), 3 bc (Venus/Mercury), 3-2 bc (Jupiter & Regulus), 2 bc (Jupiter/Venus near Regulus), 1 bc (Jupiter/Venus in Virgo), 9 ad (comets), 39 (comet), 66 (Halleys), Pendragon comet, 1006 (brightest stellar event ever), 1603 (Kepler).

Herod Archelaus: 4 bc or 3 ad - 6 ad (Matthew, ASC).

Tiberius: heir 4, emperor 12/13/14/15/16-37/39.
Pontius Pilate: 26 - 36/37 (ASC).
Herod Antipas: 4 bc - 17-27/31/35-36-38/39 ad.
Herod Philip: 4 bc or 12 ad - 34 ad.
Lysanias 14-29/42 ad?

For the time of the year I don't know but a few pointers are:
- Jesus wasn't born in December because the shepherds wouldn't have been outside then.
- Some of the stars dates I listed have further month and day details which I haven't given.
- Some bible scholars suggest Jesus was born during one of the festivals of the Jewish calendar.
- The date of the Indiction/Census was Sept 1 or 25.
- "The DePascha Computus, an anonymous document believed to have been written in North Africa around 243 CE, placed Jesus birth on March 28. Clement, a bishop of Alexandria (d. ca. 215 CE), thought Jesus was born on November 18. Based on historical records, Fitzmyer guesses that Jesus birth occurred on September 11, 3 BCE." (Source for this last one is 'Judaism is not Christianity minus Jesus' facebook page which I follow because there are some interesting Jewish information and views.)

Last edited: