Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate everyone's participation in the topic. My purpose was not to discuss the doctrine of the trinity here, for that teaching is many false ideas tied together to come to many different false conclusions. Saying that the trinity is a false teaching leads nowhere. It's more productive to think about the different nuances of those little misconceptions that lead people to erroneous conclusions.

In this topic there is only one of those ideas: God is not called I AM nor did Jesus ever claim to be an I AM that someone made up. That is the point of this topic, and you better keep it that way, to avoid misunderstandings.

Since I realized this fact, that comparison that some Christians make between Jehovah and Jesus does not make any sense to me. When I learn interesting details, many truths begin to appear on their own. I will never allow some passionate "Christians" to lead me astray from correctly understanding biblical truth.

Reactions: Wrangler

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My religion, denomination, group, community, or whatever you want to call it, is none of your business, as much as I will never ask you yours to talk to you. I speak BIBLICAL LANGUAGE and I hope you speak the same. There is not apartheid in biblical language.
I think that you are ashamed of admitting to being a JW or else you wouldn't keep your alegiance secret.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you get the idea that the name of God changes depending on what group of people are referenced?
I think he just explained why LORD was used in the Bible and there was not some conspiracy to remove the name of God as you claim.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he just explained why LORD was used in the Bible and there was not some conspiracy to remove the name of God as you claim.
Humans may not be able to dare to remove God's name out of His own book on their own, but there are unseen enemies that can goad some people into doing what they set out to do. When God's name is removed from the Bible (at least YHWH is accurate), it depersonalizes the God who bears that name. Many insist more on that supposed I AM than on God's own name.

Think about it: the Jews, after returning from exile, insisted that God's personal name not be pronounced with few exceptions, making its use disappear, contrary to what God himself wanted: that his name be known throughout the earth. Then at the end of the first century or the beginning of the second they removed the Hebrew name from the LXX translation, to the point that it was thought that the LXX did not have the tetragrammaton (being false). Then the Church and the Protestant organizations decide to remove it even from all citations in the OT. Doesn't it make you suspicious of this matter?

GOD has a personal name, and made it featured in His own book, mentioned about 7,000 times. Why remove it from there and ignore it?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There was a time I didn't think that way. Since I learned that the Hebrew Ehyeh asher Ehyeh does not mean I am who I am I can't feel the same way when listening a Christian saying the false expression "Jesus is the Great I AM".

@ElieG12
Where did you learn it? Who was the teacher that taught you that? Or are you a Hebrew scholar?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pearl, very astute. I was following along in confusion but you caught it immediately that the poster was offended by and stumbled over the Rock.

Reactions: Pearl

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessed be the Rock of my salvation.

42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the English to modern Hebrew which is inferior to the original ancient Hebrew AHAYAH ASHAR AHAYAH, I AM THAT I AM.

So then the modern Hebrew would be saying, I will be, but the ancient Hebrew, I am? Do I understand you correctly?

Much love!

Reactions: BeyondET

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew verb hayah is not simply to be (in English), but TO BECOME; and its form ehyeh is not present but future.

After I learned that I asked myself:

Where this supposed name of God I AM came from? From the use of an English translation of the Bible that translated it that way?

Does anyone know who was the first person on using that supposed name to associate it with Jesus?
It's a statement of self-existance. Jesus made a similar statement when He said, before Abraham was, I am. That is, before Abraham did exist in the past, I do exist in the present. Interesting thing to say, isn't it?

There are those who point to that verse as though Jesus were calling Himself by God's Name I AM. What I find there is just as profound. That Jesus asserted a present tense existence prior to Abraham's historical existence. Something only an eternal being could say.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one who is, was, and is to come. :)

Revelation 1:4 KJV
John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come;

Literally, the one who was (did exist), is (does exist), and is coming (back).

Much love!

Reactions: farouk

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that you are ashamed of admitting to being a JW or else you wouldn't keep your alegiance secret.
Or simply wanting to appear as one thing, while being something different. There can seem to be advantage to that. I think we've seen sufficient examples to recognize the talking points.

Much love!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has a real personal name to identify Himself in a personal way; it defines the total of his identity and uniqueness, as the personal name of a human being distinguishes him from the rest of human beings or from any living being that can be named.

My name refers to my identity and my person. For any legal matter I must be identified by my own exclusive personal name.

The personal name that identifies God is not I AM, nor is it the Eternal. In the Bible He Himself says many times: MY NAME IS _____. Can you complete the phrase? If you study the Bible, you may know what goes on that line.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or knowing that there’s not as much traffic in the unorthodox forum, you don’t freely admit so you can try to catch more ears by posting where you think more fish are.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that some people who claim to be Christians get aggressive when they hear something that questions their traditional beliefs, but they should understand that I am very interested in helping other more reasonable and less violent people to realize what they need to know.

Whoever doesn't like my topic, don't participate in it... and don't come to troll. The forum rules are clear about personal attacks and topic diversions. For my part, I do not consider that I have violated any forum rule, and I have been respectful with my posts. I expect other Christians to hold themselves to the same standards. Thanks.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there any other point on knowing the truth that knowing the truth?

I am content that people know that such a name of God I AM is an invention, and that associating it with Jesus does not make any sense. Christians should be mature, informed people who are moved by biblical truth, not fanaticism.
About The I AM As Jesus Speaks For Himself:

Christ Witnesses To The Woman At The Well John Four:1-26, I AM The Light Of The World John Eight:1-59, Christ Heals The Blind Man John Nine:1-41, I AM The Good Shepherd John Ten:1-42,

Christ Raises Lazarus John Eleven:1-44, The Messiah Teaches John Twelve:23-50, Christ Washes The Disciples Feet John Thirteen:1-38.

Love, Walter

Last edited: