Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christians should be mature, informed people who are moved by biblical truth, not fanaticism.
Are you a Christian or a member of the Watchtower organisation? Just so we know we are not at cross purposes, otherwise the dicussion goes nowhere.

Reactions: Nancy

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My religion, denomination, group, community, or whatever you want to call it, is none of your business, as much as I will never ask you yours to talk to you. I speak BIBLICAL LANGUAGE and I hope you speak the same. There is not apartheid in biblical language.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My religion, denomination, group, community, or whatever you want to call it, is none of your business, as much as I will never ask you yours to talk to you. I speak BIBLICAL LANGUAGE and I hope you speak the same. There is not apartheid in biblical language.
Ah, so you are a JW. It's okay I just wanted to know where you were coming from with your posts.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, so you are a JW. It's okay I just wanted to know where you were coming from with your posts.
Why should what I post come from somewhere if I have not mentioned any source of information other than what I have studied myself? Could you stop diverting the subject to personal matters?

Have you already understood that there is no name of God "I AM"? That "name" does not come from the Scriptures; it is an invention and it is false, and associating it with Jesus is denigrating him. There is enough info in the Bible about Jesus to talk about inventions and relate them to his person.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why should what I post come from somewhere if I have not mentioned any source of information other than what I have studied myself? Could you stop diverting the subject to personal matters?

Have you already understood that there is no name of God "I AM"? That "name" does not come from the Scriptures; it is an invention and it is false, and associating it with Jesus is denigrating him. There is enough info in the Bible about Jesus to talk about inventions and relate them to his person.
So you say, from your own point of view, but I never heard that in any other place. That is why I asked your religious persuasion. But it's okay if you want it to be a secret.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you say. I never heard that in any other place.
There was a time I didn't think that way. Since I learned that the Hebrew Ehyeh asher Ehyeh does not mean I am who I am I can't feel the same way when listening a Christian saying the false expression "Jesus is the Great I AM".

Reactions: APAK

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There was a time I didn't think that way. Since I learned that the Hebrew Ehyeh asher Ehyeh does not mean I am who I am I can't feel the same way when listening a Christian saying the false expression "Jesus is the Great I AM".
I am not really bothered by what the Hebrew says, and this quote from the OJB seems to back up the English version.

Shemot 3:14 Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
And Elohim said unto Moshe, Eh-heh-yeh ashair Ehheh- yeh (I AM WHO I AM); and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the Bnei Yisroel, EHHEH-YEH (I AM) hath sent me unto you.

But it seems that is is very important to you, so be blessed.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew verb hayah is not simply to be (in English), but TO BECOME; and its form ehyeh is not present but future.

After I learned that I asked myself:

Where this supposed name of God I AM came from? From the use of an English translation of the Bible that translated it that way?

Does anyone know who was the first person on using that supposed name to associate it with Jesus?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Hebrew verb hayah is not simply to be (in English), but TO BECOME; and its form ehyeh is not present but future.

After I learned that I asked myself:

Where this supposed name of God I AM came from? From the use of an English translation of the Bible that translated it that way?

Does anyone know who was the first person on using that supposed name to associate it with Jesus?
It obviously matters to you a lot, but to me knowing if it is right or wrong is not as important as knowing God himself in a personal way through Jesus.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure for others like me the matter will be important. Correcting mistakes is for the wise.

That is one of the purposes of the Christian forums and opening topics on it.

Thanks for your time and have a good one.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't read in any Hebrew Scripture that God says His name is I AM. Who gave that name to God?
Since "I AM" is in English you won't find it in Hebrew. And since God calls Himself "I AM" that should settle the matter once and for all. So are you simply trolling as a JW, or is it some other cult?

Reactions: Pearl

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know that
the Hebrew expression
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
DOES NOT translate
"I am who I am"
into English?

That's the English to modern Hebrew which is inferior to the original ancient Hebrew AHAYAH ASHAR AHAYAH, I AM THAT I AM.

Reactions: marks

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's name may be Jehovah to some people, to others he may be Yaweh. But to all true Christians he is also Jesus.
But God never said 'my name is Jesus.' He actually said his name was something other than Jesus - to be remembered for all generations.

I guess that means little to trinitarians. You say it is Jesus. That must be it, especially since you laced it with all true Christians say this is the case.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10-23-22

Pearl said:
God's name may be Jehovah to some people, to others he may be Yaweh. But to all true Christians he is also Jesus.

But God never said 'my name is Jesus.' He actually said his name was something other than Jesus - to be remembered for all generations.

I guess that means little to trinitarians. You say it is Jesus. That must be it, especially since you laced it with all true Christians say this is the case.
Hello you all, I agree, Let me say this: Searching for the Name of God

There are actually seven places in the King James Bible where it actually has the name YEHOVAH with the Y changed to a J in the English Bible. In about the 14th. Century, the J was added as a I with a long tail. A long tail was added to differentiate the first I from the second I. When the printing press came along the long-tailed I was made a J and the King James Bible was one of the first books printed on the first printing press.

Exodus Six:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them. It is in capital letters because the translation is from YHVH, but here the actual vowels are printed out that goes with the tetragrammaton YHVH (Yod-hay-vav-hay) translated into English-Yehovah.

Psalm Eighty Three:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Isaiah Twelve:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isiah Twenty Six:4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

One Lord, One Faith, One God: The Exclusivity of Christianity (gty.org)

Love, Walter

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

I know some Bibles translations translate the Hebrew reply, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, which is the reply the true God made to Moses when Moses asked, suppose I am come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, The God of your forefathers has sent me to you, and they do say to me, What's is his name? What shall I say to them? The reply the true God YHWH gave, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh some Bibles translate it as I AM THAT I AM. However it should be noted that the Hebrew verb hayah, from which the word Ehyeh is drawn, does not mean simply "be." Rather it means "become," or "prove to be." This Hebrew reply Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh shouldn't be translated in such a way to try to prove God's self-existence, which being translated I AM THAT I AM does. This Hebrew reply, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh is more about what the true God will prove to be to and for the Israelites who are enslaved in Egypt. So the Hebrew reply, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh would be more accurately translated I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE. So the true God was telling Moses to tell the Israelites when asked the true God's name to say, I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to you. Exodus 3:14. When the true God said that to Moses it didn't mean no change in God's name from YHWH to some other name. The Hebrew reply Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh that the true God made to Moses was just another insight into the true God whose name is YHWH personality. This is seen from YHWH God further words: "This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, YHWH God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is my name to time indefinite, and this the memorial of me to generation after generation.(Exodus 3:15; compare Psalm 135:13; Hosea 12:5) The true God's name YHWH comes from a Hebrew verb that means "to become," and a number of scholars suggest that the true God's name YHWH means "He Causes to Become."

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10-23-22

Pearl said:

Hello you all, I agree, Let me say this: Searching for the Name of God

There are actually seven places in the King James Bible where it actually has the name YEHOVAH with the Y changed to a J in the English Bible. In about the 14th. Century, the J was added as a I with a long tail. A long tail was added to differentiate the first I from the second I. When the printing press came along the long-tailed I was made a J and the King James Bible was one of the first books printed on the first printing press.

Exodus Six:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (El Shaddai), but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them. It is in capital letters because the translation is from YHVH, but here the actual vowels are printed out that goes with the tetragrammaton YHVH (Yod-hay-vav-hay) translated into English-Yehovah.

Psalm Eighty Three:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Isaiah Twelve:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Isiah Twenty Six:4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

One Lord, One Faith, One God: The Exclusivity of Christianity (gty.org)

Love, Walter
I thought it was YHWH

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought it was YHWH
Hello everyone, Hi RLT63, you are correct in that sense:
Yahweh, name for the God of the Israelites, representing the biblical pronunciation of “YHWH,” the Hebrew name revealed to Moses in the book of Exodus. The name YHWH, consisting of the sequence of consonants Yod, Heh, Waw, and Heh, is known as the tetragrammaton.

After the Babylonian Exile (6th century BCE), and especially from the 3rd century BCE on, Jews ceased to use the name Yahweh for two reasons. As Judaism became a universal rather than merely a local religion, the more common Hebrew noun Elohim (plural in form but understood in the singular), meaning “God,” tended to replace Yahweh to demonstrate the universal sovereignty of Israel’s God over all others. At the same time, the divine name was increasingly regarded as too sacred to be uttered; it was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai (“My Lord”), which was translated as Kyrios (“Lord”) in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Acts 4

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Love, Walter