Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
names-of-god-jesus.jpg

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ made it clear that He is the I AM, who appeared to Moses, He is the One who always existed and He is the one and true God who will always be.
AMEN!!

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God spoke his Word saying I Am - the Self existent one.

Jesus who was the Word of God made flesh - said the same thing to the Jewish people, signifying that Jesus was the Word of God which Jesus allowed the Father to work in his life, for the ability to reconcile the world unto himself through Christ for restoring the world from which was lost with Adam and Eve.

Yahweh/Jehovah is the name of God - LORD.
The Word of God - is the Word of God - that became flesh named Jesus/Yeshua.
The Spirit is the Holy Spirit of God, which resided upon the Son of God, in which was a help to not indulge in temptation and fail the written law which was given to the Israelites in Moses day.

After Jesus Christ death, resurrection, and return - the Lord Jesus Christ become the Lord God Almighty who sits on the throne with his father according to scripture.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think the Watchtower organisation want to limit God and make Him fit their own twisted ideas of just who he is.

But my God is so big and powerful that he has many names and is not just limited to one.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This list of names of God helps you experience how majestic God is and how deeply He loves you. Study the different names of God from Hebrew and Scripture and let His blessings fill your life, as you build a relationship with God, based on every aspect of His names. Don't forget to sign up, so you can experience the names of God in your own life as well!

NAMES OF GOD - Complete list from Hebrew and the Bible (godisreal.today)

The Ultimate Name of God: I AM

When Moses encountered God at the burning bush, he asked what His name was. God replied:

“I AM that I AM… You must say this to the Israelites, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (Exodus 3:14)

God made it clear to Moses that He is eternally present. He has always been, He is now and He will always be. This name of God also speaks about His eternal presence with His people. He is present to help us, comfort us, guide us, and so much more… His presence never leaves you, and He will always be with you. That is the greatest comfort we can ever find, and we learn it from the very name of God: I AM.

When God revealed His name, He said: ‘I AM ALWAYS WITH YOU!’

Jesus Christ applied the name of God on Himself

Jesus Christ shocked the religious leaders of Israel, when He made a statement that was unheard of since the beginning of time. Jesus Christ declared that He Himself is God, when He said:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” (John 8:58)

Jesus claimed that He is the ‘I Am’, which is the very name of God!
When the Jewish religious leaders heard Jesus say this, they tried to kill Him. By applying the very name of God on Himself, Jesus Christ declared that He is God. To the Jews this was the highest form of blasphemy. In the book of Revelation Jesus reveals Himself to the apostle John with a name that is very similar to ‘I AM”:

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:7-9).

Jesus Christ made it clear that He is the I AM, who appeared to Moses, He is the One who always existed and He is the one and true God who will always be.

And it was this God, YHWH, Who appeared before Moses and Aaron and the elders of Israel, and ate with them, though "no one has seen God at any time". Who then is the YHWH with Whom they ate? And Abraham, served a meal to YHWH, who ate before him under the oak tree, who was this? There is only one answer, this is the One Whom would be known as Jesus, the Son of God.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some scripture references for

Exodus 3:14
I AM hath: Exo 6:3; Job 11:7; Psa 68:4, Psa 90:2; Isa 44:6; Mat 18:20, Mat 28:20; Joh 8:58; 2Co 1:20; Heb 13:8; Rev 1:4, Rev 1:8, Rev 1:17, Rev 4:8

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And it was this God, YHWH, Who appeared before Moses and Aaron and the elders of Israel, and ate with them, though "no one has seen God at any time". Who then is the YHWH with Whom they ate? And Abraham, served a meal to YHWH, who ate before him under the oak tree, who was this? There is only one answer, this is the One Whom would be known as Jesus, the Son of God.

Much love!

I blame the so-called 'elders' who have pased all the lies down through the generations to trusting and vulnerable people who are prevented or at least dicouraged from searching the scriptures for themselves in case they disvover how much they have been deceived by those they trust.
Their bible study is spoon fed to them and they are told what to think rather that ask the Holy Spirit to teach them and give them understanding.

And I just want to tell them that their twisted beliefs will not be taken seriously by any truly born again believer.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That Hebrew expression, Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, is translated: "I will become what I will become" ... in future tense. It means He would do anything He wants, no matter what.

In the LXX that expression is translated: "Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν". Something like: "I am the being".

There is not any "My name is I AM" anywhere in the Bible.
A curiosity for those who read and learn new things with this topic:

At the time of Jesus Christ the non-Jews read the Scriptures in Greek with the LXX. The disciples of Jesus quoted from it i(n Greek) because that version of the OT was well known at the time, and that was the common language throughout the Roman empire. To Bible readers and students who used the LXX at the time of Jesus, including the Christians themselves who used it profusely, the Greek account of Exo. 13 has nothing to do with the invention of the modern I AM.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

At the time of Jesus Christ the non-Jews read the Scriptures in Greek with the LXX. The disciples of Jesus quoted from it i(n Greek) because that version of the OT was well known at the time, and that was the common language throughout the Roman empire. To Bible readers and students who used the LXX at the time of Jesus, including the Christians themselves who used it profusely, the Greek account of Exo. 13 has nothing to do with the invention of the modern I AM.
You may as well give up trying because we will not give this notion any credence.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's true that all translations mostly came from Greek, and Hebrew founded Scrolls. I believe there might have been few apostles who knew not only Hebrew but also Greek, at least also by the help of the Holy Spirit which helped them to speak in tongues. The point is that you are right in just simply identifying that sure, the words are not the same. Like Jesus is our english of the name, but the Hebrew way would be saying Yeshua.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Right after Jesus said "Before Abraham was, I AM" ... the Jews listening to Jesus tried to stone him for BLASPHEMY for Pete's sake. How much clearer can scripture be about what the people standing there thought Jesus meant! (but you want to argue that they were really reading the LXX in Greek and had no clue all those times that the entire Law was read aloud in Hebrew at the Temple where they were all required to attend twice per year). sheesh! :rolleyes:

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Right after Jesus said "Before Abraham was, I AM" ... the Jews listening to Jesus tried to stone him for BLASPHEMY for Pete's sake. How much clearer can scripture be about what the people standing there thought Jesus meant! (but you want to argue that they were really reading the LXX in Greek and had no clue all those times that the entire Law was read aloud in Hebrew at the Temple where they were all required to attend twice per year). sheesh! :rolleyes:
Good one.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was talking about Christian biblical writers and witnesses of Jesus at the time, not about the Jews.
Didn't you know that the New Testament writers quoted from the LXX most of the time they were referring to an OT passage?

In the Greek LXX the phrase Ehyeh asher ehyeh is translated in a totally different way than is known from the Hebrew Masoretic Text. In Greek it says Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν and is translated into English as I am the Being. No Christian of that time believed in any name of God I AM.

Most likely it was the invention of some English theologian, having read the English translation of the Masoretic text some time after the invention of the printing press. Did God give himself a new name for that time, and the Christians of the first century did not know it?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that some people who claim to be Christians get aggressive when they hear something that questions their traditional beliefs, but they should understand that I am very interested in helping other more reasonable and less violent people to realize what they need to know.

Whoever doesn't like my topic, don't participate in it... and don't come to troll. The forum rules are clear about personal attacks and topic diversions. For my part, I do not consider that I have violated any forum rule, and I have been respectful with my posts. I expect other Christians to hold themselves to the same standards. Thanks.

No one has been violent, unreasonable or aggressive with you. At all.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Checking on one of the first English versions of the Bible, translated directly from manuscripts in the original languages, I found the William Tyndale's Bible, made by him between 1522 and 1536. This is his translation of Exo. 3:13,14:

Tyndale Bible in old English:
Exo. 3:13 Than sayde Moses vnto God: when I come vnto the children of Israell and saye vnto them, the God of youre fathers hath send me vnto you, ad they saye vnto me, what ys his name, what answere shall I geuethem?
14 Then sayde God vnto Moses: I wilbe what I wilbe: ad he sayde, this shalt thou saye vnto the children of Israel: I wilbe dyd send me to you.

Interesting, right? Tyndale did not think I AM was a name of God when translating the Bible in the English language of his time directly from the Hebrew manuscripts he got. So the invention of that supposed name of God was after his time. Who knows when?

PD: that translation can be consulted freely in the web.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
William Tyndale was a biblical scholar in his time. His translation of the Bible was a challenge in his day, as the Church did not want the Bible to be translated into the common languages of the people and persecuted those who tried to do so. Tyndale could not translate the entire Bible, but he finished translating the Pentateuch, the whole NT and the book of Jonah. He was arrested in 1535 and in 1536 charged as a heretic and executed by strangulation; then his body was burned at a stake.

The interesting thing is that Tyndale understood that ehyeh asher ehyeh correctly translates as I will be what I will be.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't you know that the New Testament writers quoted from the LXX most of the time they were referring to an OT passage?
Which manuscript?
Not only do I know that, I also know that there is no LXX ... there are multiple families of LXX and there are at least two major FAMILIES of Greek text traditions. None of which changes the fact that JESUS knew what I AM meant, the Jews that wanted to stone him knew what I AM meant, the Apostles that followed Jesus knew what I AM meant and John practically dedicated his entire Gospel to JESUS = I AM (as they all knew I AM to mean GOD).

So the LXX argument is all smoke and mirrors to distract from the reality of the situation presented in the narrative of the text. An example of straining gnats and swallowing camels.

[Actually, I find it fascinating that sometimes a quote matches the LXX and sometimes a quote matches the Masoretic Hebrew and sometimes a quote matches neither ... as if the HS knows best how to translate the intent.]

Reactions: marks and Pearl

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of trying to disqualify forumers, why not do some research on the subject and share what you find... like me?

PS: If internet forums were used by Christians to share quality information instead of attacking each other or saying AMEN to everything that is written without verifying the information, then Christians would improve in knowledge and conduct. Internet forums ARE NOT CHURCHES, nor fighting fields. If you are a Christian, behave like one.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of trying to disqualify forumers, why not do some research on the subject and share what you find... like me?
Where did you do your research?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any Christian who wishes can invest some of his time, money, and some effort in learning Hebrew or Greek, comparing versions of the Bible, and looking up biblical matters on many serious related Internet websites.

What is not necessary to have access to accurate biblical information is a degree in theology, a doctorate, or some University degree in biblical matters. If there is interest and action, God blesses the efforts in many ways. Don't you agree?
Read what is said.

If Christians share what they research and the info is verified, people who is interested in biblical matters do not have to pay for knowledge and feed the religious business. Cooperate with others who may need to learn more than what they have been told.