Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Luk 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
Luk 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
Luk 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
Nothing in those passages says God called anyone to be a Christian...You need to stick to the context of the thread.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
iu

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Ooh, I love question traps! Do I believe that we are called to be saints?

Of course, I do. The Bible tells me so.
So why don't you want to be called a saint if you are called to be a saint?
Do I believe that 1 Corinthians 1:2 constitutes conclusive proof that Christians must, instead, be called "saints?"

NO
It constitutes that believers that are sanctified in Jesus are called to be saints and are called saints. If you are sanctified in Christ, then you are called to be a saint. If you are called to be a saint and you are fulfilling your calling; Then you should be called a saint. Why don't you want to be called a saint?
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
Do I believe all your proof texts about the names of Jesus mean anything that would validate your obsession with names, titles, functions, positions, etc., and antagonizing people with your condescending and unfounded criticisms?

Definitely NOT
If you don't believe the apostles, why would you believe me? That which you call proof text was written by them, not me. Anyone who is antagonized by the scripture is one who does not accept scripture. That which you call condescending and unfounded criticisms are written in the scripture...deal with it.

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. :p
Jude
2 Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
That's quite a colossal straw man you've erected there.
No, it is not, you are reifying that God called people to be Christians when actually God calls us to be saints... Your argument is with God, not me.
Just because I don't mind Christians calling other Christians "Christians," it follows that I object to Christians calling other Christians "saints?"
You have a fascinating imagination.
What Christians are you talking about? God calls his followers saints. Saints call other saints, saints. You are the one with the imagination. Are you from Antioch that you call the followers of Jesus Christians, or are you God, and call your followers Christians?

And pointing out your childish and obnoxious behavior equals variance with the apostles and Scripture? You're building quite a case for utter nonsense. :p
Did I start calling anyone heretic or troll? Please point out the childish and obnoxious behavior so that I may apologize immediately.

You do realize that no one is taking you seriously, don't you?
Actually, you guys are not taking the scriptures seriously...
1 Corinthians 14:33
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Colossians 1:12
Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
You have yet to produce one Scripture that succinctly instructs believers to call each other "saints."
Do you have one where believers at instructed to call each other Christians? There are many places where the apostles call the believers saints, none where they call believers Christians

I really think you're conflating the phrase "called to be" with "to be called."
No, you think that being called to be a saint means that you are not to be called a saint.

What is your argument here? How does that support your argument that we are not to be called saints?
I've never even hinted that we are commanded to be known as Christians. I don't much care what folks call me. The obsession with names, titles, etc, is yours--not mine.
But you are arguing against being called a saint. And you support being called a Christian. You do care what people call you, if you didn't you wouldn't be here making silly arguments.

You mean like this:
Did I call anyone a troll? You were aware the poster was referring to me as a troll and you liked the post... it is on record. post #233
You don't like the fact that it was deflected back to him.
I just realized this has been going on for 12 pages. It's not worth it. Bye, bye, Saint.
It is worth it because pretenders have been exposed... You can run away like the others I have done my part. At least you all have learned that God has called his faithful to be saints. The fact you all don't like being called saints shows that you are not saints. No one likes to be called what they are not.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what Jay Ross wrote about me, "Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission."
Yeah, but you gotta hand it to him, he hit the nail right on the head, except that you'll also -ignore- folks you can't browbeat into submission. :D

Reactions: Jay Ross

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I'm going to try to reason with you one more time. I'm not sure why. I guess I just love torment and punishment.

So then, by strong implication, you admit that you don't have one where Christians are positively commanded only to be called saints. That should be settled, then.
How is this response reasoning? I admitted to no such thing... I simply put the flip side to your position; you are claiming I don't have something for my position when you don't have the same for your position.

I believe the word "Christian" was at first considered a slur, and it just caught on after a century or two. But your observation does not constitute a positive command. And your main assumption/conclusion is entirely eisegetical, based on no proper form of hermeneutics.

Then the word Christian is still a slur. My observation shows that Paul actually referred to the believers as saints therefore he called them saints.

Colossians 1:2
To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 4:12
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
He also referred to himself as a saint
Ephesians 3:8
Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

If you insist on being called a "saint" I don't mind at all, but you're going to have a rough row to hoe with most folks.

Paul insistently called believers saints in his epistles. Do you not read the scriptures?

It would probably help if you didn't troll so much because that makes people think of you as a troll rather than a saint, which seems to me like swimming upstream. Personally, I think you'd do well to focus on some other Bible topics besides names, titles, etc. But, it's your choice. :)
Are you here to please people by doing what they want? I am not.

You can't possibly know what other people think. Unless that's a superpower God only gives Christians who insist on being called saints. :D
People write what they think,

The argument is simply that "called to be" doesn't mean "to be called" in the Bible. I thought I made that fairly clear and evident from the Greek.
You are funny, just to make this
clear... we are called to be righteous are we not?, does that mean we are not to be called righteous? In terms of righteousness, what are we to be called? Unrighteous?
And I hold no belief that Christians are not to be called saints.
So what exactly is your belief? That saints are to be called what you believe to be a slur?

That's an assumption you seem to make about everyone who doesn't believe the Bible requires Christians to be called saints instead.
Wrong, in the bible, believers are called saints and there is no requirement in the bible for saints to be called Christians.

The New Testament also refers to followers of Christ as disciples and believers, as well as Christians and saints.

And you affirmed that the term Christian is a slur.

I am doing nothing of the kind.
Then you agree that believers are saints and should be called saints?

No, I do not support it. I simply don't mind it.

So you are on the record saying that you don't support being called a Christian. but you don't mind it. That is like saying you don't support crime but you don't mind it.

No, I don't. You can really trust me on this one. I used to have this one thing that I couldn't stand to be called, but Christ freed me from that bondage 32 years ago.
How can I trust you on anything... since you seem to have a problem with this thread about God calling believers to be saints, yet claiming not to have a problem with it.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
I have made only sound, rational arguments that I'm aware of.
How is this sound reasoning...?
And I hold no belief that Christians are not to be called saints. That's an assumption you seem to make about everyone who doesn't believe the Bible requires Christians to be called saints instead.

You are saying that you believe believers are to be called saints ....while implicating yourself in the statement... That's an assumption you seem to make about everyone who doesn't believe the bible requires believers to be called saints instead. (everyone includes you) Therefore you are admitting you don't believe the Bible requires you to be called a saint. And at the same time, you hold no belief that you are not to be called a saint...

By your own admission (below),
yes, you did, by deflection.
I admitted I deflected the suggestion, but I never called anyone a troll. So unless you can quote me calling someone a troll you have no case.

I hope it isn't used against me in a court of law.

Did you or did you not like the post?

If it looks like a troll and quacks like a troll, it's probably a troll. In your case, the jury's in. You're actually driving people away by trolling your own thread.

Well, there you have it... First, you make the assumption that I am a troll. Then you claim that I am trolling. Did you know what you are doing is actually trolling? Without any evidence of me trolling, you accuse me of trolling while you yourself troll. People run away from the truth. Especially when their ignorance is exposed. Pretty soon you will run away also. And the fact remains none of you have given a passage to show where God called you to be a Christian, a term you admit is slur.
And it is not my policy to -like- a post only when I am in 100% agreement with it. And, no, I'm not going to change my policy to suit you. Sorry.

I don't see how that helps your position. The fact that you like it means that you agree with it...

I believe it's a "her" and no, I didn't particularly care for a friend of mine who I happen to know is the antithesis of a troll being called a troll.

But it was your friend who started the trolling by making troll statements towards me. According to your reasoning, it is ok for your friend to troll me but it is not Ok for your friend to be identified as one?
But really, the main reason I brought it up is that you basically said I called you a troll (which, technically, I had not done by that time) while you yourself were already as guilty of virtually doing so as I was. Around here, we call a troll a troll.

You liked the troll comment, that shows agreement. Did you agree with her troll comment or not? If you disagree tell her now that you disagree with her troll comment.
Again, your reasoning is suspect. You say that around here you troll a troll, how does that not make you a troll also? If by we you include her then you both are trolls.

Who's pretending? Exposed to whom? Yourself? I'm pretty sure you're on your own with this project. Unless you think you're actually telling God something He doesn't already know.
You are pretending not to be a troll, but you admitted that you are.

Yes, this is me doing my "running away" impression. Like it?

running.gif

funny

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
'Fraid not. I for one already knew that. It's in the Bible. What He has not done, however, is to command that Christians be called saints.
So here is the thing, you agree God called believers to be saints. You agree God did not call believers to be Christians, which you admit is a slur. By your reasoning, since God called believers to be saints, if it looks like a saint, as God called him to look. If it walks like a saint as God called him to walk, it talks like a saint, as God called him to talk, it is probably a saint... So why would you not call a saint a saint? But instead, call a saint a slur?
I don't mind being called a saint at all. It's Biblical.
So if you have no objection, why are you here arguing with me?
Years ago, I used to go to a church where, to begin the service, we would all sing "With reverence let the saints appear, and bow before the LORD," etc., etc., as the worship leaders filed out behind the rostrum, and then we'd all kneel for prayer. It was very nice and relaxing and helped prepare our hearts for the divine worship service.
Who were the saints in your mind back then? Or was it just a song?
Converted Christians don't mind being called names. They are in Good Company when they are mocked.

Converted Christians? It is sinners that are converted. Do you actually read the scripture?
There is no mention of converted Christians in the scripture.

James 5:20
Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Actually, if you can't come up with something besides word-twisting of other folks and "Saint! Saint! Saint!" and you don't hear from me, I think you consider my answer to all such as:

"Duly noted and filed" ;)
You have posted nothing of value up to this point... You have not answered the question in the OP. What is the point of hearing from you but to enlighten you...? If you want to learn more

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Twist, twist, twist, called to be, called to be, called to be, Saint, Saint, Saint. Got it.

Still no positive command from Scripture that CHRISTIANS must be called SAINTS.

Let me know if you find one.
Major strawman.
Read the OP I never mentioned a command that believers must be called saints... The fact remains that they are called saints by the apostles in their epistles but not christians...

Status
Not open for further replies.