Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.
Christianity is not what you claim it to be. Christians are the body of Christ. Christianity is most definitely not "community of divided groups fighting against each other". There are different denominations, but all Christians basically hold to the same doctrinal truths.

If you are such an authority on Christianity, please tell us what you believe. And get ready for disagreement!

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where God calls us to be Christians,
Acts 2:39,
-For the promise is to you and to your children and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.

2Thessalonians 2:14,
-to which He called you by our gospel for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God calls us by the gospel.
The gospel is for all creation,
-Mark 16:15,
-Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Christianity is not what you claim it to be. Christians are the body of Christ. Christianity is most definitely not "community of divided groups fighting against each other". There are different denominations, but all Christians basically hold to the same doctrinal truths.

If you are such an authority on Christianity, please tell us what you believe. And get ready for disagreement!
not that you asked me, but it seems like professing “Christians” all agree on the lie, the cult of sol stuff imported by Augustine via the RCC, and they all disagree on the completely irrelevant stuff that arises from their false beliefs of the possibility of immortality
wadr

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Where God calls us to be Christians,
Acts 2:39,
-For the promise is to you and to your children and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.

2Thessalonians 2:14,
-to which He called you by our gospel for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God calls us by the gospel.
The gospel is for all creation,
-Mark 16:15,
-Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature
im not seeing “Christians” in there anywhere though?

you guys know that “Christian” almost surely meant what we call “Zionist” now, right? belief in the literal restoration of the Davidic Monarchy in Jerusalem
28Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Can you persuade me in such a short time to become a Christian?”
which doesnt really come to light until you get the then-current climate, and what “agrippa” means…but suffice it (i hope) to say that agrippa’s “Christian” was surely meaning the then-current usage, and not the one that has emerged. And i guess became subsumed again, since practically no one believes in a spiritual kingdom, and we now have many Christian Zionists…so, it might be interesting to investigate what was really meant by “first called Christians in Antioch”

“Place That Has The Empire's Back, Town Of Imperial Support”
kinda changes things a little huh

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.
What is the Gospel about and how is this different from what is called Christianity?

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you guys know that “Christian” almost surely meant what we call “Zionist” now, right? belief in the literal restoration of the Davidic Monarchy in Jerusalem
Give scripture. What name did God name His people in the new testament?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not that you asked me, but it seems like professing “Christians” all agree on the lie, the cult of sol stuff imported by Augustine via the RCC, and they all disagree on the completely irrelevant stuff that arises from their false beliefs of the possibility of immortality
wadr
Since you are the all-knowing embodiment of truth, I won't bother to refute your delusion.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name Christian embraces the name of Christ.
Peter taught that salvation is in a name. This makes the name we wear extremely important.
Acts 4:12,
-nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

The Lord named His people. Isaiah's prophecy of the new name,
Isaiah 62:2,
-The Gentiles shall see your righteousness, and all kings your Glory,
You shall be called by a new name, Which the mouth of the Lord will name.

God named His people by a new name not man.

Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled in wearing of the name Christian.
Acts 11:26,
-...and the disciples were first called christians in Antioch.

We read of no other name apart from Christ Himself to be given that salvation is in.
Therefore we have no other option but to conclude Christ is the name Gods chosen wear, CHRISTian.

Christ: Anointed one
Christ's followers are anointed by God

2Corinthians 1:20-21
-For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him amen, to the glory of God through us.
-Now He who establishes us with you in Christ(Anointed one) has anointed us in God.

We are Christ's anointed. Thus Christians.

1John 2:20,27
-But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.
-But the anointing which you have received from Him indwells in you....

This teaching that Gods people were never named by God Himself to be christian is based on fictious,
stories told by sectarians that wear other names like Lutheran, Baptist, Calvinist, Catholic etc.
It is not found in the sacred scriptures that only the enemies of christians referred to the way as Christian as a derogatory slur.

Jesus the anointed one and His anointed children.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Give scripture. What name did God name His people in the new testament?
not really interested in getting into that with you Titus, i just wanted to point out that "Christian" may be as ambiguous as...well, most everything else :)

Mithraism was the main Pagan religion of ancient Rome, and became blended with the Messiah of Israel through the compromises of the Nicaean Council, headed by Constantine and his son Crispus (325-326 CE). The followers of Mithra (Constantine included) were called Christians.

Where did the termChristian” come from? - sabbathcovenant.com

(from a search, "what did the term "Christian" mean in Roman times?"

so wow, huh?

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not really interested in getting into that with you Titus, i just wanted to point out that "Christian" may be as ambiguous as...well, most everything else :)

Mithraism was the main Pagan religion of ancient Rome, and became blended with the Messiah of Israel through the compromises of the Nicaean Council, headed by Constantine and his son Crispus (325-326 CE). The followers of Mithra (Constantine included) were called Christians.

Where did the termChristian” come from? - sabbathcovenant.com

(from a search, "what did the term "Christian" mean in Roman times?"

so wow, huh?
We dont know truth from external sources. We know truth from the souce of truth, Holy word of God i.e Bible.
I will believe what the Bible says about His name and why His followers wear it.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
im not seeing “Christians” in there anywhere though?

28Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Can you persuade me in such a short time to become a Christian?”
which doesnt really come to light until you get the then-current climate, and what “agrippa” means…but suffice it (i hope) to say that agrippa’s “Christian” was surely meaning the then-current usage, and not the one that has emerged. And i guess became subsumed again, since practically no one believes in a spiritual kingdom, and we now have many Christian Zionists…so, it might be interesting to investigate what was really meant by “first called Christians in Antioch”

“Place That Has The Empire's Back, Town Of Imperial Support”
kinda changes things a little huh
Nice work, and thanks for the links.
J.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We dont know truth from external sources. We know truth from the souce of truth, Holy word of God i.e Bible.
yet you do not have one single Quote that says "Bible is Word (Pneuma), and we do in fact have several Scriptural references that pretty plainly say the exact opposite!

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Christianity is not what you claim it to be.
It is exactly what I said.
Christians are the body of Christ.
The body of Christ is made up of saints...
Here is Paul writing to the saints in Rome...
1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here is Paul again...we are members one of another...
Romans12:5
So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Here Paul is speaking against denominations...
1 Corinthians 1:
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Cor 3
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

Christianity is most definitely not "community of divided groups fighting against each other".
They who call themselves Christians are divided...
There are different denominations, but all Christians basically hold to the same doctrinal truths.
There are no different denominations in Christ
I believe divisions/denominations are not of God.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
What is the Gospel about and how is this different from what is called Christianity?
Did you not read the OP? The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.

The Gospel is about One body teaching and saying the same thing.
1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in that case, a re-invitation to Quote "God calls them 'Christians'"
as i am always open to more wisdom. From any source
What does God call His people today? Give scripture.
yet you do not have one single Quote that says "Bible is Word (Pneuma), and we do in fact have several Scriptural references that pretty plainly say the exact opposite!
2Timothy 3:16,17
-All scripture is God breathed
-that the man of God may be complete.
All of it is profitable
All of it is instructional
Complete i.e. without need of external instruction

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, your response has nothing to do with the OP... Why are there divisions in Christianity? Is Christ divided?
"Why are there divisions in Christianity?"

"For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you."
1 Cor. 11:19

"Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn."
Matt. 13:30

He knows who are His and, I believe there are some "of His" in all denominations. Men squabble and cause division within but...that can be a good thing too if they are defending sound doctrine filtered through scripture.

Reactions: bbyrd009
Status
Not open for further replies.