Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1

*CHRISTIANITY BOARD*
Loving People Living Community

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

:cool::D

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0
  • clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Who said you did?
If no one said I did, then no one is asking that I answer that request. get your facts straight.
My request for a succinct scriptural command was not predicated on the OP.
You are funny if you request a scriptural command for saints to be called saints then you must present a scripture command for saints to be called christians... all things being equal.
This "saint" business doesn't even appear until post #7. Try to keep up.
And so what? It just shows that most readers are ignorant of the fact that the NT was addressed to the saints.

If you insist that Christians must be called saints instead, it devolves upon you to provide scriptural evidence commensurate with the level of your insistence.
I am not insisting on anything, as far as this goes
, you seem to be the one insisting that I not educate people as to what they are called to be...Which is what the OP is about.
Do you absolutely insist that God absolutely requires Christians must be called saints instead or not? It's a simple yes-or-no question.
Where did I insist on that? If you are asking a question based on something I said that gave you the impression that I have insisted that God requires believers to be called saints, please show me the text, and I will be glad to respond. I have shown you where believers are called TO BE saints.
Are you able to answer it without obfuscation?
If I answer yes or no you will take it as an admission I am somehow insisting on something that I am not. You can rephrase your question to show where I insisted on what you are asking.

Not a fact
Is Peter not an apostle?

1 Peter 4:16 KJV Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

G5546

Original: Χριστιανός

Transliteration: Christianos

Phonetic: khris-tee-an-os'

Thayer Definition:

1. Christian, a follower of Christ

Origin: from G5547

TDNT entry: 17:13,1

Part(s) of speech: Noun Masculine

Strong's Definition: From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.
This is not Peter calling anyone to be a christian... this is after the fact that the saints were labeled christian as a slur, something that you already admitted. The text suggests that Peter is saying to the saints that they should glorify God when they suffer verbal abuse...Not that they are christians.

Luke may or may not be considered an apostle but he wrote two books of the Bible, so I think that would adequately qualify him as a prophet. Do prophets carry any stroke with you? He called believers Christians.
Where does Luke call believers christians? Luke related historical events... And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
In both cases Luke is only reporting what others said... Now it is your turn to show where Luke called believers christians as you claim.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 9:24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
Jhn 9:25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
Jhn 9:26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?
Jhn 9:27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
Jhn 9:28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
Jhn 9:29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
Jhn 9:30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
Jhn 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Are we called to be disciples?

Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

What is the difference between a disciple of Moses and the disciple of John and the disciple of Jesus?
If everyone is a disciple and all are called to be saints, then who's disciple are you?
And in an age where Jews were being converted and Gentiles were being gathered in,
How would these be distinct from others who were also called to be saints?

Act 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
Act 11:20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
Act 11:21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
Act 11:22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Act 11:23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
Act 11:24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
Act 11:25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

We are not disciples of Moses. We are not disciples of John. We are not disciples of Paul.
We are the disciples of Christ. And Christian is our Name.

And we are called to walk in His Name.
That is our calling. And the name signifies that we are His.

This then is the question:

Are Saints called to be Christians or are Christians called to be Saints?

Psa 52:9 I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints.
Psa 85:8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.

1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Jews require a sign. Greeks seek after wisdom.
And the Name of Christ is a stumblingblock and foolishness to the Jew and to the Greek.

But unto us which are called, both the Jews and the Greeks, The Name Christ(ian) the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

I am Christ's. I am Christian.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are funny
Well, I must admit, after reading through this entire thread that I have, without excuse, allowed myself to be duped into arguing about everything and... nothing.

This game is about finding an abstract principle of Christianity that is not explicitly stated in Scripture, but is beloved by the brethren and then challenging them to declare it to be concrete by producing scripture that does not exist, thus creating, by sophistry, a virtually hopeless dilemma of conscience vs. reason in their hearts and minds--IOW a gigantic stumbling block.

CONGRATULATIONS, SAINT OF GOD. :)

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Well, I must admit, after reading through this entire thread that I have, without excuse, allowed myself to be duped into arguing about everything and... nothing.

You were not duped into anything...You were arguing about something that was not in the OP.

This game is about finding an abstract principle of Christianity that is not explicitly stated in Scripture,

this is not a Game. The OP is clear, it is a question about what God did not call us to be. You tried to make it into what name we are called... I have provided ample passages showing that believers are called to be saints... and You have shown none where God called anyone to be a christian...

but is beloved by the brethren and then challenging them to declare it to be concrete by producing scripture that does not exist, thus creating, by sophistry, a virtually hopeless dilemma of conscience vs. reason in their hearts and minds--IOW a gigantic stumbling block.
You tried to challenge me on something that is not in the OP. You built a strawman and are now trying to burn it as if it were my strawman.

CONGRATULATIONS, SAINT OF GOD. :)
Congratulate yourself for your lack of understanding that God called believers to be saints and not christians...

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha ha!! This dude is still arguing over his false belief. 13 pages of him trolling. That is some super duper trolling. I havent seen that level of trolling on here so far.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Jhn 9:24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
Jhn 9:25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
Jhn 9:26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?
Jhn 9:27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
Jhn 9:28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
Jhn 9:29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
Jhn 9:30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
Jhn 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Are we called to be disciples?
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
Paul is speaking to the disciples and telling them something that they are not aware of...

Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

What is the difference between a disciple of Moses and the disciple of John and the disciple of Jesus?
If everyone is a disciple and all are called to be saints, then who's disciple are you?
And in an age where Jews were being converted and Gentiles were being gathered in,
How would these be distinct from others who were also called to be saints?
When Paul wrote to the disciples, he told them that they were called to be saints... It follows that a saint is a higher calling.
Ephesians 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Act 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
Act 11:20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
Act 11:21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
Act 11:22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Act 11:23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
Act 11:24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
Act 11:25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
The big question is who began calling the disciples christians and why? Was it God? Or was it the mockers and blasphemers? Remember this was a time when the disciples were being stoned to death put in prison, and suffered great torment...

We are not disciples of Moses. We are not disciples of John. We are not disciples of Paul.
We are the disciples of Christ. And Christian is our Name.
We are disciples of Jesus Christ. You seem to believe that Jesus' last name is Christ..

And we are called to walk in His Name.
That is our calling. And the name signifies that we are His.
His name is Jesus / Yeshua in Hebrew. And we are called to be saints.

This then is the question:

Are Saints called to be Christians or are Christians called to be Saints?

There is no scripture saying believers are called to be Christians...When you make statements or ask questions like these you must post passages to show why you are saying or asking that question.
Psa 52:9 I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints.
Psa 85:8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.

1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Jews require a sign. Greeks seek after wisdom.
And the Name of Christ is a stumblingblock and foolishness to the Jew and to the Greek.

But unto us which are called, both the Jews and the Greeks, The Name Christ(ian) the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Nothing in these passages helps your argument...

I am Christ's. I am Christian.
which brings us back full circle. Where in the scripture did anyone call you to be a christian...The unregenerated made up that term and you aspire to it. Therefore you are called by the unregenerated.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Ha ha!! This dude is still arguing over his false belief. 13 pages of him trolling. That is some super duper trolling. I havent seen that level of trolling on here so far.
you are funny. You are trolling so it appears that you have no idea what trolling is. Go and sin no more

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
Paul is speaking to the disciples and telling them something that they are not aware of...

When Paul wrote to the disciples, he told them that they were called to be saints... It follows that a saint is a higher calling.
Ephesians 2:19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

The big question is who began calling the disciples christians and why? Was it God? Or was it the mockers and blasphemers? Remember this was a time when the disciples were being stoned to death put in prison, and suffered great torment...

We are disciples of Jesus Christ. You seem to believe that Jesus' last name is Christ..

His name is Jesus / Yeshua in Hebrew. And we are called to be saints.

There is no scripture saying believers are called to be Christians...When you make statements or ask questions like these you must post passages to show why you are saying or asking that question.

Nothing in these passages helps your argument...

which brings us back full circle. Where in the scripture did anyone call you to be a christian...The unregenerated made up that term and you aspire to it. Therefore you are called by the unregenerated.

And they were first called christians in Antioch.

Who called them christians? give a name or a tribe or a nationality.
Did they call themselves christians to distinguish themselves from Moses' disciples?
They had been there preaching to Jews and Gentiles. And both were being converted to Christ.
Who says the name was used as a derogatory name?
Commentators or witnesses?

Many were suffering and being put to death for that name because it opposed the Jewish leadership and the Pagan greeks.
Christians were being chased by lions on one side and hyenas on the other.
The name Christian is a badge with the name of the one I follow.

I am not going to argue with you any more. Because you are not here to reason, you are here to prove yourself.
So prove yourself that you are what you call yourself.
I hear no sincerity in you.

If you were what your name claims you to be, then good fruit would flow through your words.
But all I hear is briar and thorns.

Good day.

Reactions: Lifelong_sinner

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
And they were first called christians in Antioch.
Yes that should give you a clue

Who called them christians? give a name or a tribe or a nationality.
Did they call themselves christians to distinguish themselves from Moses' disciples?
They had been there preaching to Jews and Gentiles. And both were being converted to Christ.
Who says the name was used as a derogatory name?
Commentators or witnesses?
I don't really care about your clumsy attempt to twist the thread since this has nothing to do with the OP... The OP is about if the scriptures say God called you to be a christian... which it does not.

Many were suffering and being put to death for that name because it opposed the Jewish leadership and the Pagan greeks.
Foolishness, no one was suffering for that name... believers were suffering before that name was invented...
Christians were being chased by lions on one side and hyenas on the other.
The name Christian is a badge with the name of the one I follow.
more foolishness. it was the saints who were suffering persecutions,,, The scripture says the disciples were called christians, it does not say the disciples called themselves chrisians.

I am not going to argue with you any more. Because you are not here to reason, you are here to prove yourself.
So prove yourself that you are what you call yourself.
I hear no sincerity in you.
I am here to prove the scripture, and you are denying the scripture... so don't talk about sincerity. The scripture says we are called to be saints it does not say we are called to be christians... Your argument is with the scripture...
If you were what your name claims you to be, then good fruit would flow through your words.
But all I hear is briar and thorns.

Good day.
That is because briars and thorns are growing inside your ears. You are not hearing the scripture...

If you are sanctified in Jesus, what are you called to be?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are sanctified in Jesus, what are you called to be?
His people.

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
His people.

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Either you misunderstood the question or you are being evasive... So let me rephrase.
If you are sanctified in Jesus, what are you called to be according to
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:?

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
So one by one they ran away.
Not having anything worthwhile to say
The scripture says we are called to be saints.
They rattled and grumbled to prove that they ain't.
They say it's christians they want to be.
Something God did not call them, they all agree.
They ignore God's word to fulfill their desire.
If they are not careful, they will end up in the lake of fire.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
lol - I drafted a lengthy response to this, and then decided I'm not going to post it. I saved the document, though. Maybe I'll post it later; maybe not. :D

The art of being a good "member" of any forum, is to know when to withdraw from a conversation, if you have joined in the conversation, or to know when to withdraw from your thread, and allow others to trash it completely, knowing that the first couple of pages of the thread will have achieved your intended purpose of the thread, anyway.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
lol - I drafted a lengthy response to this, and then decided I'm not going to post it. I saved the document, though. Maybe I'll post it later; maybe not. :D
If it made any sense you would have posted it. You read what you wrote, saw that it was meaningless, and rightfully decided not to post.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I was happy to see another forum where the Word of God is the main focus but after I was registered and began to search through the website I was amazed to see Christians only forums. Christianity is an example of what Paul spoke against in 1 Cor 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The thing that is called Christianity is not what the gospel is about. Christianity is a community of divided groups fighting against each other. Is Christ divided? Why is every Christian denomination teaching a different doctrine? According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
It is amazing to see the lack of simple understanding being exercised by the leaders of these groups.
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.

Your faith is listed as “Other”. What is your faith?

Reactions: Jim B
Status
Not open for further replies.