Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to the scripture, the thing that is called Christianity is not of Christ because Christianity promotes division.
This is just trolling by someone of an "other faith". So is Buddhism divided? How about Islam? How about Hinduism? Divisions prove nothing. So how does someone of "other faith" claim to be a "saint of God"?

Reactions: BarneyFife

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
So how do you think we should handle differences between the denominations? Im a calvinist presbyterian.
I already handled it, I don't belong to any denomination.
I believe we are the closest to what the apostles were. Yet if you ask most people on here, they would disagree.
The apostles were not Calvinists nor were they close to Calvinists. The apostles were saints of God preaching the word of God.
how do you address once saved always saved? Baby baptism? Free will vs God’s sovereignty? Unitarians vs trinitarians? You solve those… then you can start to remove the divisions.
I handle all divisions by asking them where what they teach is written in the scripture. If they can't quote what they teach from the scripture what they teach must have been made up by their leaders. OSAS , not written in the cripture. Baby baptism , not written in the scripture,Free will , not written in scripture. God is a sovereign leader to those who follow him. Unitarians vs trinitarians not written in the scripture...I am not here to remove anyone just to enlighten.
Philippians 1
15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 1
15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
It's the strait and narrow way. And few there be that find it.

Good Morning
:D
Hugs

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission.

I have expressed the same view, in another thread on this forum, as you have done above.

The term Christian grew out of a need to distinguish those who follow Christ from Judaism, by the powers to be at that time. Even among the Followers of Christ, there were differences that caused division. Division among the followers can be beneficial as it help to focus our understanding whether for or against being a follower of Christ.

Some times it is simply best to allow what you post to stand as you have presented it and ignore the posts that follow. An argument over small differences in opinions is not beneficial at all for either party. Let the other party have the last word, so to speak and continue meditating on God's word as the Holy Spirit leads you.

Shalom

Thank you for your most unChristian nastiness -- not. Who made you my judge? From now on I will disregard anything and everything you post.

P.S. Find out what "shalom" means you hypocrite!

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
This is just trolling by someone of an "other faith".
where is your proof of that? False claims are regarded as lies...Would a believer of christ openly lie?

So is Buddhism divided? How about Islam? How about Hinduism? Divisions prove nothing. So how does someone of "other faith" claim to be a "saint of God"?
I cannot speak for other religions that I am not privy to. I follow the gospel.
Divisions prove division...
1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you for your most unChristian nastiness -- not. Who made you my judge? From now on I will disregard anything and everything you post.

P.S. Find out what "shalom" means you hypocrite!
wow! If this is Christian behavior who would want to be one?

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow! If this is Christian behavior who would want to be one?

Here is what Jay Ross wrote about me, "Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission."

If this is referring to my post... do you continue to discuss matters with someone who calls you "a troll" and accuses you of brow beating someone into submission because you disagree with him? It is a classic ad hominem response.

I have put him on "ignore" for an obvious reason.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi what is this OP you two talking about? sorry to butt in

OP is an abbreviation of "original post". In this case it's "where in the Scripture is anyone called to be a Christian".

And you're not butting in; this is an open discussion forum.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already handled it, I don't belong to any denomination.

The apostles were not Calvinists nor were they close to Calvinists. The apostles were saints of God preaching the word of God.
I handle all divisions by asking them where what they teach is written in the scripture. If they can't quote what they teach from the scripture what they teach must have been made up by their leaders. OSAS , not written in the cripture. Baby baptism , not written in the scripture,Free will , not written in scripture. God is a sovereign leader to those who follow him. Unitarians vs trinitarians not written in the scripture...I am not here to remove anyone just to enlighten.
Philippians 1

thank you for making my job easier. You see, you just showed why we belong to a particular denomination. Its because of doctrine. Now, you failed my test about doctrine, but i’ll explain.
Baby baptism - in the Bible. Peter did it, paul did it.
OSAS- definitely in the Bible. Jesus talked about it, john talked about it.
The Trinity- all over the NT, and i might add, this one gets messy in a hurry because the wrong understanding of this doctrine could reveal a false convert.
God’s sovereignty- spoken of in both OT as well as NT.

Most people i find go to a church simply because its where their parents took them, or its the closest one to where they live. They never consider doctrine. My church has new people take a class so that everyone can understand what it is the church preaches, if they want to join.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You have not shown any such thing, sir. I know because only three times does the word Christian appears in the scripture, and none of them says we are called to be a Christian
Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
my understanding is that “Christian” meant something different then, to Agrippa. Dunno about to the Antiochians though…but something more like we might use “zionist?”
1 Peter 4:16
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

If by any means I missed where it said we are called to be Christians then please enlighten me
well, this one def infers that being called Christian is a good thing?

Reactions: BarneyFife

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Here is what Jay Ross wrote about me, "Please understand that Jim B is a "troll" who loves to put anyone down when he disagrees with another's expressed understanding or point of view and will not let go of the bone, so to speak until he has brow beaten you into submission."

If this is referring to my post... do you continue to discuss matters with someone who calls you "a troll" and accuses you of brow beating someone into submission because you disagree with him? It is a classic ad hominem response.

I have put him on "ignore" for an obvious reason.
I have been called worse. I believe how one replies determines their character. However, since we are not perfect, if you see me in that position remind me with these words...
Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
my understanding is that “Christian” meant something different then, to Agrippa. Dunno about to the Antiochians though…but something more like we might use “zionist?”
well, this one def infers that being called Christian is a good thing?
No, it does not, If you have studied the history of the church you wouldn't say that...Do you know how Stephen died...
Acts 7:59
And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Acts 11:19
Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
thank you for making my job easier. You see, you just showed why we belong to a particular denomination. Its because of doctrine.
You are not making any sense, which doctrine teaches you to be divided ?
Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Now, you failed my test about doctrine, but i’ll explain.
You will explain without a shred of evidence , just your say so.

Baby baptism - in the Bible. Peter did it, paul did it.
The command is repent and be baptized for the remisson of sins...Babies cannot repent
OSAS- definitely in the Bible. Jesus talked about it, john talked about it.
Where is your evidence? Heb 10
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Maybe you will say they were not saved to begin with.
Notice the author includes himself...Is it your understanding that the author of Hebrews is not saved,

The Trinity- all over the NT, and i might add, this one gets messy in a hurry because the wrong understanding of this doctrine could reveal a false convert.
There is no mention of a Trinity in the scripture. If you can show me the scripture that says God is a Trinity then you have a foot to stand on.

God’s sovereignty- spoken of in both OT as well as NT.
I alread agreed that God is sovereign to those who follow him... God does not impose himself on anyone...That is why he gives all men the opportunity to repent.
Most people i find go to a church simply because its where their parents took them, or its the closest one to where they live. They never consider doctrine. My church has new people take a class so that everyone can understand what it is the church preaches, if they want to join.
This has nothing to do with going to church...Matt 7:
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

It is about hearing and doing what Jesus says...

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Pe 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
1Pe 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
1Pe 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
1Pe 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
1Pe 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
1Pe 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
1Pe 4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

:D
Hugs

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Yes it did, back then Jesus' disciples were considered a breakaway Jewish cult that worshipped Jesus a dead man. Why do you think Paul was in prison? The disciples of Jesus were mocked, stoned, thrown in prison, and also killed. The name was not given in honor of Jesus a man who was crucified. People who were crucified were stripped of their honor.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not making any sense, which doctrine teaches you to be divided ?
Romans 16:17
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

You will explain without a shred of evidence , just your say so.

The command is repent and be baptized for the remisson of sins...Babies cannot repent

Where is your evidence? Heb 10
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Maybe you will say they were not saved to begin with.
Notice the author includes himself...Is it your understanding that the author of Hebrews is not saved,

There is no mention of a Trinity in the scripture. If you can show me the scripture that says God is a Trinity then you have a foot to stand on.

I alread agreed that God is sovereign to those who follow him... God does not impose himself on anyone...That is why he gives all men the opportunity to repent.

This has nothing to do with going to church...Matt 7:
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

It is about hearing and doing what Jesus says...

let me see if i can keep track of all your questions;
1. Us presbyterians arent divided and we are the denomination most closely aligned with the apostles. Its the other denominations that are divided against the Word.
2. Baby baptism was performed in the NT. Acts 2:38-39 peter said that the promise was for both you AND your CHILDREN.
God includes children of believers as members of the church. We see this in luke 18:15-16 when people were bringing children to Jesus to touch and the disciples told the people no, Jesus told them let the children come to me, do not hinder them.
In Acts, paul goes and baptized a lady named lydia AND her entire household which would have included her children. Same thing in Acts when peter went to go see cornelius and he baptized him and his entire household which would have included children.
There are more stories of this, but you get the picture.
3. OSAS is Biblical. Romans 8:30, John 3:3, titus 3:5, John 14:17, Romans 8:9, John 3:15, 1 Corinthians 12:13, If you believe in Christ today and have eternal life, but lose it tomorrow, then it was never "eternal" at all. Hence, if you lose your salvation, the promises of eternal life in the Bible would be in error.

ok thats enough for now, i’ll retort to the rest later.

Reactions: Mjh29
Status
Not open for further replies.