Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Baby baptism was performed in the NT. Acts 2:38-39 peter said that the promise was for both you AND your CHILDREN.

An interesting interpretation of this passage: -

Acts 2:38-39: - 38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."​
NKJV
I come to a very different understanding. I come to the understanding that the promises are available to all, i.e. you in the crowd, your children and all who are a far off in time. The promise is, "you shall receive the Holy Spirit." That is available to all who repent and turn to Christ. Some denominations take it that unless you demonstrate signs that you have the gift of the Holy Spirit by speaking in "tongues," the you are not saved. Now the robber on the cross besides Christ was assured of his Salvation and he was not baptised. Nor are we told that received the gift of the Holy Spirit.

We all need to be careful that we do not read into scripture what we want found there, rather than what God intended to be there.

Shalom

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So show me where the scripture says you must become a Christian or that you became a Christian at some point...Please show the text, chapter and verse.

Where in the scripture is anyone called to be a Christian is the question I am asking... Can you show me? Christians show themselves to be divided, just check the many divisions/ denominations.

Yet you said, "It is the verse read to me when I changed from being an atheist to being a Christian". Evidently, you made your own change. The body of Christ is the saints...
Romans 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
That is Ok many things in the scripture make no sense to a lot of people.
Act_11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The disciples were called.

They did not assume the name themselves. It occurs in only three passages in the New Testament: here; Act_26:28; and 1Pe_4:16; and only in the last-named passage is used by a Christian of a Christian. The name was evidently not given by the Jews of Antioch, to whom Christ was the interpretation of Messiah, and who wouldn't have bestowed that name on those whom they despised as apostates. The Jews designated the Christians as Nazarenes (Act_24:5), a term of contempt, because it was a proverb that nothing good could come out of Nazareth (Joh_1:47), The name was probably not assumed by the disciples themselves; for they were in the habit of styling each other believers, disciples, saints, brethren, those of the way. It, doubtless, was bestowed by the Gentiles. Some suppose that it was applied as a term of ridicule, and cite the witty and sarcastic character of the people of Antioch, and their notoriety for inventing names of derision; but this is doubtful. The name may have been given simply as a distinctive title, naturally chosen from the recognized and avowed devotion of the disciples to Christ as their leader. The Antiochenes mistook the nature of the name, not understanding its use among the disciples as an official title - the Anointed - but using it as a personal name, which they converted into a party name.

...another way...@Ziggy

And that the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch (chrēmatisai te prōtōs en Antiocheiāi tous mathētas Christianous). This first active infinitive chrēmatisai is also a subject of egeneto and is added as a separate item by the use of te rather than kai. For the word itself in the sense of divine command, see note on Mat_2:12, note on Mat_2:22; note on Luk_2:26; and note on Act_10:22. Here and in Rom_7:3 it means to be called or named (assuming a name from one’s business, chrēma, from chraomai, to use or to do business). Polybius uses it in this sense as here. Tous mathētas (the disciples) is in the accusative of general reference with the infinitive. Christianous (Christians) is simply predicate accusative.

This word is made after the pattern of Herodianus (Mat_22:16, Herōidianoi, followers of Herod), Caesarianus, a follower of Caesar (Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East, p. 377, gives papyri examples of the genitive Kaisaros meaning also “belonging to Caesar” like the common adjective Caesarianus). It is made thus like a Latin adjective, though it is a Greek word, and it refers to the Hebrew belief in a Messiah (Page).

The name was evidently given to the followers of Christ by the Gentiles to distinguish them from the Jews since they were Greeks, not Grecian Jews. The Jews would not call them Christians because of their own use of Christos the Messiah. The Jews termed them Galileans or Nazarenes. The followers of Christ called themselves disciples (learners), believers, brethren, saints, those of the Way.

The three uses of Christian in the N.T. are from the heathen standpoint (here), Act_26:28 (a term of contempt in the mouth of Agrippa), and 1Pe_4:16 (persecution from the Roman government). It is a clear distinction from both Jews and Gentiles and it is not strange that it came into use first here in Antioch when the large Greek church gave occasion for it. Later Ignatius was bishop in Antioch and was given to the lions in Rome, and John Chrysostom preached here his wonderful sermons.

Ashamed to be called a Christian? Could be off topic but this is my 2 cents...@Ziggy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I cannot speak for other religions that I am not privy to. I follow the gospel.
Then why have you not frankly identified yourself as a "Christian"? And in fact divisions are there in Christendom so that those who are sound in the faith may be "approved" by God and manifested to others of like faith: For there must be also heresies [divisions] among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. (1 Cor 11:19)

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can Christianity be teaching the truth when there are hundreds of sects that teach different doctrines? Each of them says that their denomination teaches the truth, so the others must be teaching falsely.
There are at least two answers.

1) We're all growing and learning at different rates...

13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God, as we mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ.14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed about by the waves and carried around by every wind of teaching and by the clever cunning of men in their deceitful scheming." Ephesians 4:13-14

And, 2) there are false, unsaved teachers among us dividing up the church with their doctrines and drawing men away unto themselves...

"18when they said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow after their own ungodly desires.”e 19These are the ones who cause divisions, who are worldly and devoid of the Spirit." Jude 1:18-19

"29I (Paul) know that after my departure, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30Even from your own number, men will rise up and distort the truth to draw away disciples after them. " Acts 20:29-30

And as far as being called 'Christian', I will never be ashamed of bearing that name. I do it proudly and unabashedly, no matter how badly it gets maligned:

"16But if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but glorify God that you bear that name." 1 Peter 4:16

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
There are more stories of this, but you get the picture.
3. OSAS is Biblical. Romans 8:30, John 3:3, titus 3:5, John 14:17, Romans 8:9, John 3:15, 1 Corinthians 12:13,
Once Saved
will
Always be Saved
Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

these verses are too shallow to be a support to OSAS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Act_11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The disciples were called.

They did not assume the name themselves. It occurs in only three passages in the New Testament: here; Act_26:28; and 1Pe_4:16; and only in the last-named passage is used by a Christian of a Christian. The name was evidently not given by the Jews of Antioch, to whom Christ was the interpretation of Messiah, and who wouldn't have bestowed that name on those whom they despised as apostates. The Jews designated the Christians as Nazarenes (Act_24:5), a term of contempt, because it was a proverb that nothing good could come out of Nazareth (Joh_1:47), The name was probably not assumed by the disciples themselves; for they were in the habit of styling each other believers, disciples, saints, brethren, those of the way. It, doubtless, was bestowed by the Gentiles. Some suppose that it was applied as a term of ridicule, and cite the witty and sarcastic character of the people of Antioch, and their notoriety for inventing names of derision; but this is doubtful. The name may have been given simply as a distinctive title, naturally chosen from the recognized and avowed devotion of the disciples to Christ as their leader. The Antiochenes mistook the nature of the name, not understanding its use among the disciples as an official title - the Anointed - but using it as a personal name, which they converted into a party name.

...another way...@Ziggy

And that the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch (chrēmatisai te prōtōs en Antiocheiāi tous mathētas Christianous). This first active infinitive chrēmatisai is also a subject of egeneto and is added as a separate item by the use of te rather than kai. For the word itself in the sense of divine command, see note on Mat_2:12, note on Mat_2:22; note on Luk_2:26; and note on Act_10:22. Here and in Rom_7:3 it means to be called or named (assuming a name from one’s business, chrēma, from chraomai, to use or to do business). Polybius uses it in this sense as here. Tous mathētas (the disciples) is in the accusative of general reference with the infinitive. Christianous (Christians) is simply predicate accusative.

This word is made after the pattern of Herodianus (Mat_22:16, Herōidianoi, followers of Herod), Caesarianus, a follower of Caesar (Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East, p. 377, gives papyri examples of the genitive Kaisaros meaning also “belonging to Caesar” like the common adjective Caesarianus). It is made thus like a Latin adjective, though it is a Greek word, and it refers to the Hebrew belief in a Messiah (Page).

The name was evidently given to the followers of Christ by the Gentiles to distinguish them from the Jews since they were Greeks, not Grecian Jews. The Jews would not call them Christians because of their own use of Christos the Messiah. The Jews termed them Galileans or Nazarenes. The followers of Christ called themselves disciples (learners), believers, brethren, saints, those of the Way.

The three uses of Christian in the N.T. are from the heathen standpoint (here), Act_26:28 (a term of contempt in the mouth of Agrippa), and 1Pe_4:16 (persecution from the Roman government). It is a clear distinction from both Jews and Gentiles and it is not strange that it came into use first here in Antioch when the large Greek church gave occasion for it. Later Ignatius was bishop in Antioch and was given to the lions in Rome, and John Chrysostom preached here his wonderful sermons.

Ashamed to be called a Christian? Could be off topic but this is my 2 cents...@Ziggy

I read in the commentary in the BlueLetterBible.org that they were first called Christians by the Gentiles because they followed Christ.

another way?
Jesus said:
Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Isa 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

I am Christian. A Pilgrim progressing in the Way.
:D
Hugs

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read in the commentary in the BlueLetterBible.org that they were first called Christians by the Gentiles because they followed Christ.
Several commentaries I've seen say Χριστιανούς ("Christianos") means "Little Christs", and while it was intended to be derogatory, Jesus's followers embraced the slur.

Reactions: Ziggy

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
let me see if i can keep track of all your questions;
1. Us presbyterians arent divided and we are the denomination most closely aligned with the apostles. Its the other denominations that are divided against the Word.
Presbyterians are a group of Christians that are divided from other Christians. Presbyterians are not aligned with the apostles.

2. Baby baptism was performed in the NT. Acts 2:38-39 peter said that the promise was for both you AND your CHILDREN.
God includes children of believers as members of the church. We see this in luke 18:15-16 when people were bringing children to Jesus to touch and the disciples told the people no, Jesus told them let the children come to me, do not hinder them.
In Acts, paul goes and baptized a lady named lydia AND her entire household which would have included her children. Same thing in Acts when peter went to go see cornelius and he baptized him and his entire household which would have included children.
There are more stories of this, but you get the picture.
Children do not mean babies in that context...Children coming to Jesus does not mean babies coming to Jesus. There is no mention of babies in the household. Like I said before babies cannot repent or go to Jesus on their own.

3. OSAS is Biblical. Romans 8:30, John 3:3, titus 3:5, John 14:17, Romans 8:9, John 3:15, 1 Corinthians 12:13, If you believe in Christ today and have eternal life, but lose it tomorrow, then it was never "eternal" at all. Hence, if you lose your salvation, the promises of eternal life in the Bible would be in error.

ok thats enough for now, i’ll retort to the rest later.
OSAS is unbiblical, eternal life is in Christ...Those who abide in Christ have eternal life those who draw back are not in Christ therefore they don't have eternal life...People do draw back from Christ to destruction so OSAS is a false doctrine.
KJV
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.Heb 10:39

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Several commentaries I've seen say Χριστιανούς ("Christianos") means "Little Christs", and while it was intended to be derogatory, Jesus's followers embraced the slur.
Certainly not Jesus followers...Pseudo Jesus followers. Any derogatory comment or statement would be against Jesus himself...Why would Jesus' followers embrace derogatory statements against their leader?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Presbyterians are a group of Christians that are divided from other Christians. Presbyterians are not aligned with the apostles.

Children do not mean babies in that context...Children coming to Jesus does not mean babies coming to Jesus. There is no mention of babies in the household. Like I said before babies cannot repent or go to Jesus on their own.

OSAS is unbiblical, eternal life is in Christ...Those who abide in Christ have eternal life those who draw back are not in Christ therefore they don't have eternal life...People do draw back from Christ to destruction so OSAS is a false doctrine.
KJV
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.Heb 10:39

1. Presbyterian beliefs are the closest to the apostles over any other denomination.

2. children/ babies = same thing. And yea it did mean youngsters. As far as babies in the household, it also never said there werent any. This is your 2nd strike, paul said where there is no law, there is no transgression. Show me a verse that says children cant be baptized.

3. OSAS is indeed Biblical. 1 john 2:19 explains that if a person ever lost their faith, then they never had any to begin with.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Trinity is Biblical. If a person denies that Jesus is God, that person is not saved. To deny the doctrine of the Trinity could well mean you arent saved.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago

another way?
Jesus said:
Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Isa 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

I am Christian. A Pilgrim progressing in the Way.
:D
Hugs
So where in the scripture did God call you to be a Christian?
I am a saint...
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So where in the scripture did God call you to be a Christian?
I am a saint...

oh great, we got another robert derrick on our hands. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Next thing he’ll be telling us is he doesnt sin anymore.

Reactions: Lambano

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Because saying we look like little versions of our Lord Jesus is the highest complement we could ever receive. Think about it.
Except that is not what they were saying...Even at that point, they were killing Jesus' disciples... This is what happens when history is falsified. Have you forgotten Jesus was shamed, he was stripped naked, whipped, spat upon, and hung on a tree...You accept a false depiction today as a compliment...I cannot accept that as a compliment knowing what my Lord went through. They disrespected my Lord and they pass on the disrespect in the name Christian. So yes they were saying we are little versions of humiliation and disrespect...

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
oh great, we got another robert derrick on our hands. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Next thing he’ll be telling us is he doesnt sin anymore.
So are you saying that you were not called to be a saint? I don't willfully sin, do you?
I guess you do, since you are a lifelong sinner...I suppose you didn't get the memo. Rom 6:
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Hebrews 10:26
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot accept that as a compliment knowing what my Lord went through. They disrespected my Lord and they pass on the disrespect in the name Christian. So yes they were saying we are little versions of humiliation and disrespect...
Yep, that's EXACTLY what they were saying. But perhaps those who follow Jesus understand this:

1234970a8515a2113d880b5818f27879--peter-otoole-scriptures.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.