Where not to place your confidence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a day when the intent of most Christian gatherings is community above the building in each member of a strong doctrinal, error-free foundation, it is good to be reminded of the dangers of placing our trust in relationships.

Sure, we are to love one another. We are encouraged to allow our love to cover a multitude of sins, to give to the needy, and to walk two miles when asked to walk one. Yet, the Scriptures contain the other side of the coin as well, one that seems extreme.

In Christ's place, many today prefer to esteem most in their lives their clergyman, uncle, motivational speaker, parent, anyone other than the Lord who made them. Not even in the most well known and highly revered men and women of this world are we to put in God’s stead, not when man has proven to be a source of misdirection, abuse and pain. And so, fittingly, the Scriptures warn us to beware of men.

Jeremiah 17:5, “Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.”

The phrase “to make flesh his arm” means to put one's confidence in human ability, whether it is of another or oneself. For, “it is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.” (Ps. 118:8)

Our Father is the one who will never waver nor fail us, but man will fail us. Placing God first aligns one with the Lord’s leadership via His Word and Spirit. “He will lead you and guide you into all truth,” John wrote of the Holy Spirit, “and shall not speak of himself.” (John 16:13)

Yes, even religious leaders are fallible. Jesus referred to the clergymen of His time as “hypocritical Pharisees.” (Luke 12:1)

Doctrinal error, sexual immorality, extortion, and in King David’s case, murder are a few of the works of the flesh that have been committed by men and women alike. Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for wanting to appear important, seeking the respect of others, sitting in important seats, and for having whipped people they disliked. Apostle Paul, a former Pharisee, called these men “dogs.” (Phil 3:2)

No man are we to place our trust in. Not in siblings (Jer. 9:4), neighbors, friends or spouses. (Micah 7:5) In fact, we’re taught not to trust ourselves. (II Cor. 1:9)

Remember the story of Job? Following the loss of all that he once owned, no man stood beside him. He was as much without possessions as he was relatives (who left him), friends (who had forgotten him) and loved ones (who turned against him). And when Paul was first arrested, all his friends left him. (II Tim. 4:16)

In addition to leaving their friends, men will condemn you (Job 32:3), bear rule over you (Jeremiah 5:31), rob you (II Cor. 11:20) and seduce you (II Tim 3:13). God's advice is to seek doctrinally sound systematic teachings, meditate on them, memorize large portions of Scripture, and be led by His still, small voice. Psalm 103:20, "Bless the Lord.... hearkening unto the voice of his word."

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Father is the one who will never waver nor fail us, but man will fail us. Placing God first aligns one with the Lord’s leadership via His Word and Spirit.

This ministers. Not in the sense that I feel anyone has failed me, but that He has been calling me away unto Himself lately, and I have to be willing to part company with men in order to do so. I've heard it said that a true servant of God has to embrace loneliness, because walking with Him is a somewhat lonely life. But we are not really alone when we continually walk with Him, are we?

If you don't see me on the forums for a year or two, pray for me. I will be walking with Him, that you can be assured of.

Thanks for your posts. I find many of them Christ-centered.
Blessings in Him,
Hidden

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This ministers. Not in the sense that I feel anyone has failed me, but that He has been calling me away unto Himself lately, and I have to be willing to part company with men in order to do so. I've heard it said that a true servant of God has to embrace loneliness, because walking with Him is a somewhat lonely life. But we are not really alone when we continually walk with Him, are we?

If you don't see me on the forums for a year or two, pray for me. I will be walking with Him, that you can be assured of.

Thanks for your posts. I find many of them Christ-centered.
Blessings in Him,
Hidden

I almost deleted the above post because I felt it may not have been balanced enough, that is to say, not providing input regarding the need to be with others in the faith. I leaned it to the extreme because of what I view today as being a stronger attachment toward relationships and community than toward one's personal relationship with the Lord. Sure, we are to love one another, to cover a multitude of sins, to give to the needy, and walk two miles when asked to walk one. The timeliness was a factor in my writing. My apologies if it seems too one-sided. I'm glad my thread ministered, which is what I was hoping, Hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God often warned his followers not to depart from his commands either to the right or to the left. There are always two ways to disobey every command. We can disobey the command for believers to meet together by not meeting with other Christians, or by meeting solely for the purpose of having fellowship with other people and not in order to worship God.

Reactions: Hope in God