Where To Begin Reading The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So there is the 'untruth' you asked me for earlier, and why we need a measure of distance from a literal interpretation of the Bible.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there is the 'untruth' you asked me for earlier, and why we need a measure of distance from a literal interpretation of the Bible.

As always, you are wrong. There is no "untruth" there- only an error of translation born of either lazy, improper or agenda driven read.

Which one is yours?

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do we need to know about the snake metaphor, I ask because you did not explain.

You didn't ask ( or make it clear your question)- Now i understand it (I think) so will address it.

Asian ( SE & SW) languages are heavy on descriptions of things and even nouns bear some of this in tense and adjectives used as well as placement.

There is also metaphoric use ( as say a specific thing such as a snakes "hiss" is used to represent a human attribute) and symbolic use (Moses bronze snake) which is the 'snake' is a representative of something else ( often by attribution of the audience it was intended for)

The "serpent" in the garden represents a being ( not a reptile known as a snake) who is in all ways a deceiver and con man.

The snake on the pole identifies the threat (actual snakes) with bronze representing judgement and the pole meaning elevation above the people (type of Christ)

You wont find these differences in a concordance- you will have to look at cultural influences on the languages.

Remember, the original target audience for these writings were NOT English speaking peoples of an Anglo heritage so there has to be more than just a linear translation of the text to understand the full meaning.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So according to you, a serpent is not a snake? Can't you see the linguistic knots you are tying yourself up with, and the violence you are doing to the English language?

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to you, a serpent is not a snake? Can't you see the linguistic knots you are tying yourself up with, and the violence you are doing to the English language?

Not according to me- according to the words translated into English. I'm not responsible for your total lack of knowledge on how this works or its end effects.

"serpent" is an adjective used as a metaphor and it applied to snake, dragons, Satan proper and other uses.

"elipadae' and other words are "nouns" that describe fanged reptiles that move close to the ground ( some specific to pit vipers)

The only knots here are the ones in your own head.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You didn't ask ( or make it clear your question)- Now i understand it (I think) so will address it.

Asian ( SE & SW) languages are heavy on descriptions of things and even nouns bear some of this in tense and adjectives used as well as placement.

There is also metaphoric use ( as say a specific thing such as a snakes "hiss" is used to represent a human attribute) and symbolic use (Moses bronze snake) which is the 'snake' is a representative of something else ( often by attribution of the audience it was intended for)

The "serpent" in the garden represents a being ( not a reptile known as a snake) who is in all ways a deceiver and con man.

The snake on the pole identifies the threat (actual snakes) with bronze representing judgement and the pole meaning elevation above the people (type of Christ)

You wont find these differences in a concordance- you will have to look at cultural influences on the languages.

Remember, the original target audience for these writings were NOT English speaking peoples of an Anglo heritage so there has to be more than just a linear translation of the text to understand the full meaning.
I understand metaphor, but have never heard anything like this. You keep saying Asian and that confuses me. May I ask your nationality and religious affiliation please. Thank you.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep saying Asian and that confuses me.

"Asia" is the largest continent on this planet and the bearing prefix (SE, SW etc) denotes the region of said continent (to a degree) and the "middle east" is mostly in SW Asia ( more or less depending on where cartography lines are drawn and change)

May I ask your nationality and religious affiliation please. Thank you.

Caucasian American and simply Believer and Follower of Jesus ( I have no more 'affiliation" with any of MANS created denominations and its because of "being in" man's denominations and sifting through all the excess BS they add on to the word that I no longer affiliate or belong to any of them)

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Asia" is the largest continent on this planet and the bearing prefix (SE, SW etc) denotes the region of said continent (to a degree) and the "middle east" is mostly in SW Asia ( more or less depending on where cartography lines are drawn and change)

Caucasian American and simply Believer and Follower of Jesus ( I have no more 'affiliation" with any of MANS created denominations and its because of "being in" man's denominations and sifting through all the excess BS they add on to the word that I no longer affiliate or belong to any of them)
Thank you.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
...I have no more 'affiliation" with any of MANS created denominations and its because of "being in" man's denominations and sifting through all the excess BS they add on to the word that I no longer affiliate or belong to any of them...

You seem proud of that. I would remind you that the church fathers thought pride to be the deadliest of the seven deadly sins, and they ascribed it to Lucifer as the motive for his rebellion, by which he became Satan.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am and there are no "7 deadly sins"

Well, I think for the moment we have gone pretty much as far as we can go, on this topic. I am now discussing the plight of the poor in the Christian Debate Forum. I'd be interested in your thoughts, if you want to join in.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I think for the moment we have gone pretty much as far as we can go, on this topic. I am now discussing the plight of the poor in the Christian Debate Forum. I'd be interested in your thoughts, if you want to join in.

I suppose so, you were thoroughly shut down here. Cya over there

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem proud of that. I would remind you that the church fathers thought pride to be the deadliest of the seven deadly sins, and they ascribed it to Lucifer as the motive for his rebellion, by which he became Satan.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Perhaps these are the ones they meant:

"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
1) A proud look,
2) a lying tongue, and
3) hands that shed innocent blood,
4) An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations,
5) feet that be swift in running to mischief,
6) A false witness that speaketh lies, and
7) he that soweth discord among brethren." Prov 6:16-19

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Traditionally, the seven deadly sins are pride, avarice, wrath, gluttony, sloth, lust and envy. These share in common the fact that they are all selfish ways of being, and virtue is selfless.

Best wishes, 2RM.