Where To Begin Reading The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture, to be sure, is not a philosophy, in terms of a rational world view. We can agree on that. But it may be thought of as a record of humanity's theological progress. And I still await your ideas on whose names are in the book, and whose names aren't.

Unlikely as "humanity has no theological progress

The names in the book are those who heard the word and believed unto Jesus as to His name- the rest of all humanity aren't.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since my opinion has a direct impact on my 'way of being' and my way of being has a direct impact on my opinions, I do not see anything irrelevant here. I maybe ought to add that in my estimation, salvation is not through works, nor beliefs, but through the kind of person you are: your way of being.

Your estimation is wrong. The "kind of person" you are is the same as the rest of humanity. Born into a sin nature and lost. Your "way of being" is as a filthy rag ( literally used toilet paper) in God's sight.

Quality of afterlife is the difference between heaven and hell, and all the intermediate ranks between them. What is a GWT?

First, there is no "life" in the second death ( contrary to a lot of false beliefs)- death is the total cessation of life.

Second- there is no "anything else" either eternal life or eternal death ( the act of the lake does have an end)

GWT= Great White Throne, just my shorthand

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The four Gospels is where my personal starting began Matthew, Mark, Luke, John in that order is how it was done. Was very help to get a very good understanding on who the Son of God was, our Lord.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm. What do think Jesus was about then? If He had not wrought a paradigm shift in theology, we gentiles would all be Jews or Pagans. Seems like theological progress, to me.

Jesus was "about" doing the will of the father which by application is a path of forgiveness and eternal life for those who accept.

That's not a 'shift' in any theology- thats BECAUSE of man and his "theology". In Christ, there is no jew or gentile.

That's just another example of your misguided and improperly applied "philosophy" that just got corrected.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was "about" doing the will of the father which by application is a path of forgiveness and eternal life for those who accept.

That's not a 'shift' in any theology- thats BECAUSE of man and his "theology". In Christ, there is no jew or gentile.

That's just another example of your misguided and improperly applied "philosophy" that just got corrected.

On the contrary, what humanity makes of, and understands about, God, is certainly theology. Occasionally the total of evidence and reason outweighs traditional beliefs and practices, and these are discarded, and there you have it. Theological progress!

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, what humanity makes of, and understands about, God, is certainly theology. Occasionally the total of evidence and reason outweighs traditional beliefs and practices, and these are discarded, and there you have it. Theological progress!

By the Websters definition perhaps but anything times zero is still zero so whatever "man's" theology is and any "progress" man may make in any area of 'theology" is worth less than nothing to begin with so I don't see where it matters.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Since my opinion has a direct impact on my 'way of being' and my way of being has a direct impact on my opinions, I do not see anything irrelevant here. I maybe ought to add that in my estimation, salvation is not through works, nor beliefs, but through the kind of person you are: your way of being.

Quality of afterlife is the difference between heaven and hell, and all the intermediate ranks between them. What is a GWT?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Perhaps you mean by offering yourself to Jesus, inviting Him into your heart and life, repenting of your sins and following Him all the days of your life? Total commitment and discipleship.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you mean by offering yourself to Jesus, inviting Him into your heart and life, repenting of your sins and following Him all the days of your life? Total commitment and discipleship.

It's certainly easier to be a good individual (ie, have a good way of being) as a believing Christian, but I would not like to dismiss those of any other faith or none.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
By the Websters definition perhaps but anything times zero is still zero so whatever "man's" theology is and any "progress" man may make in any area of 'theology" is worth less than nothing to begin with so I don't see where it matters.

It matters because we are to be judged at the end of days according to objective criteria. By what God thinks to be good. We do not know exactly what that standard is but recorded history may be seen as humanity working it out. What humanity thinks to be good (subjective, as you pointed out earlier), is only relevant as a set of mitigating circumstances.

Best wishes, 2RM.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It matters because we are to be judged at the end of days according to objective criteria. By what God thinks to be good. We do not know exactly what that standard is but recorded history may be seen as humanity working it out. What humanity thinks to be good (subjective, as you pointed out earlier), is only relevant as a set of mitigating circumstances.

Where do you come up with this crap? Those before the GWT will be judged according to the law and we certainly know what that standard is.

God isn't interested in "if" or to any degree we are "working things out" nor are any "mitigating circumstances" a consideration as he sent the 'way of escape".

Lastly, what God "thinks" is "good" is the absolute standard and He tells us.

Either you have no intelligible concept of what Scripture says or you are deliberately trying to circumvent it- which one is it?

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Either you have no intelligible concept of what Scripture says or you are deliberately trying to circumvent it- which one is it?

You're the one who seems keen on context. I agree that context is important. And that Scripture ought be interpreted in the context of those who wrote it, which is, for the early Old Testament, a primitive bronze age tribe.

Best wishes, 2RM.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a point here or are you just rambling?

I suppose there is a point, and that is that the OT was rendered pretty much obsolete by Jesus. And my interpretation of the OT is that its importance is limited to the access it grants us to Jesus' context, so we can get an idea of the paradigm shift in theology He wrought.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's certainly easier to be a good individual (ie, have a good way of being) as a believing Christian, but I would not like to dismiss those of any other faith or none.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Fair enough, but I'm not sure if it is about being 'good' or being correct intellectually (head knowledge), but rather more about a complete change of heart, life and outlook that gives peace and contentment. Christian love.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose there is a point, and that is that the OT was rendered pretty much obsolete by Jesus. And my interpretation of the OT is that its importance is limited to the access it grants us to Jesus' context, so we can get an idea of the paradigm shift in theology He wrought.

No such thing happened at all and nowhere in scripture is anything even close to this "viewpoint" stated.

There is no "paradigm shift" in "I am the same, yesterday,today and tomorrow"

You just make stuff up to suit you as you go along to fit your "philosophy" which you then use to try to invalidate scripture for your own desires.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough, but I'm not sure if it is about being 'good' but rather a complete change of heart, life and outlook that brings peace and contentment. Christian love.

I think so too. Having been once, an atheist, I am in a position to contrast the two ways of being. And can report that the peace and contentment of which you speak makes the pursuit of virtue an altogether easier mission.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Cooper

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really want this thread to turn into a discussion on evolution, but I would point out that Darwin pretty much put an end to the idea of an original sin. I see the ascent of Man as steady improvement from the state of our primate forbears. And, for what it's worth, I don't believe in speaking serpents. Do you?

Best wishes, 2RM.