Which denomination do I belong to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Some congregations sat, some stood, some kneeled, and some all of the above.
Majority of the denomination here too follow in the same footsteps of inconsistency and confusion.

But, Jesus disciple us in the beginning itself, giving us the commandment among other commandments. That, "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites who love to stand in their meeting places and every street corner to pray."

Basically, here Jesus gives us the commandment, not to be like the hypocrites at all. Who love praying by standing in their meeting places and every street corner to pray, in order to be seen by others.

So, when He give us the commandment, 'do not', therefore when we pray, we rather 'sit' or 'kneel' and be in 'closed doors', to pray.

'For GOD is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.'

Thank you.

Reactions: Spyder

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have a denomination and I don't belong to the category of non-denomination either.

Denominations disagree with one another on doctrinal issues. Each denomination has its strengths and weaknesses. I had set myself a program to visit all religious places accessible by Toronto's TTC. For this reason, I routinely visit denominational and non-denominational churches. I attended Catholic mass, Jewish synagogue, Muslim mosque, Mormon temple, Jehovah's Witness kingdom hall, Buddhist temple, and even some New Age meetings. I don't recommend this practice to everyone. It's good to have a home church and stay put :)

One reason I started this subreddit is to attempt to sort out some of these issues based on a denomination-free, disciplined logical approach to Biblical interpretation. Instead of forming an association by a fixed set of doctrines as denominational and non-denominational churches do, I attempt to form an informal association by a methodology by which any doctrine can be checked against. It is a dynamic way of forming an association.

I'm a Christian. The word "Christian" is in the Bible. I am a member of the Body of Christ.

BTW, you don't have to stay in a non-denominational church to be a non-denominational. For 10 years, I attended a Baptist church and never called myself a Baptist. I was a Christian in a Baptist church.

What does God think about denominationalism?

See Infantile Christians.

Calvinism, Arminianism, dispensationalism, cessationism, continuationism, and any kind of ism tend to over-generalize. From my personal encounters of over 3 decades, I've found that people who are not trained in first-order logic tend to over-generalize more than those who know FOL. I propose a denomination-free, disciplined logical approach to Biblical interpretation. I am neither liberal nor conservative nor the middle of the road; I am logical, or at least trying to be :)
The Bible is not empowered by a logical approach, but by the indwelling illumination of the Holy Spirit.

Unbelievers read and understand what the word says, but that cannot accept it until God gives them the gift of faith.

also if you are not part of a local assembly , either as an elder or member in particular, then the bible calls you a rogue Christian and living in sin.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Where did I say that the Bible is empowered by a logical approach? Please quote my words.
In your OP. You extol the virtues of philosophical methodologies to determine how to understand teh bible.

Whie we need logic, and proper exegesis and heremneutics, it is not based on human logical themes.

BTW do you belong to a local church?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In your OP. You extol the virtues of philosophical methodologies to determine how to understand teh bible.

Where did I say that the Bible is empowered by a logical approach? Please quote my words. This is the 2nd time I have asked.

BTW do you belong to a local church?

I spent three years visiting just about all the churches in Toronto. A couple of months ago, I finally settled to one home church :)

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Couple of things here to consider:

1. I don't subscribe to the man-made, erroneous doctrine of Sola Scriptura, nowhere supported in Scripture. But, yes, I can defend the Church's doctrines from Scripture. Not as you personally interpret them, but as the original authors of Scripture intended them to be interpreted. St. Peter nixes personal interpretation of Scripture with regard to creating doctrine in 2 Peter 1:20-21.
“Sola scriptura“ finds great support in Jesus‘ teachings. “It is written” was a reference to scripture made by Jesus on many occasions. The apostles too quoted from scripture in their teachings, always reflecting the source of their instruction as coming from Jehovah…the author of all inspired scripture. (2 Tim 3:16-17)

Nowhere was “the church” given authority to override scripture or to change what it said to suit their own adopted doctrines.
2. The Catholic Church preceeded the New Testament in writing. It was members of the Catholic Church that wrote the New Testament and, later, in the late 4th century, decided which books belonged in the New Testament and which ones did not, out of the more than 300 it analyzed.
So antiquity justifies the claim that the RCC wrote the New Testament? What a joke!
It is God’s word, and no matter who God used to bring it into existence, it remains God’s word, not the work of a corrupted church system. Not a single word was penned by a member of the Catholic church. Nor did they choose any of it…..what it contains is by God’s will, not man’s.

You do understand that God can use even his enemies to bring about the doing of his will…..like ancient Babylon was used to conquer unfaithful Israel and take its members into captivity for 70 years. Yet God later destroyed Babylon for her own iniquities.
Using the Catholic church to deliver his word concerning the Christian scriptures, was not a mark of approval, since God’s will is not a matter of man qualifying to be used by him…..his will can be carried out using whomever is in the current position to bring it about.

By the 4th century, Christianity was so far removed from Bible truth, as not to resemble the original in any way.
Unless one is indoctrinated from birth to assume that Roman Catholicism is “Christianity”, they would never do so after studying the Bible and seeing for themselves that no Catholic doctrine is supported by scripture….no wonder they reject sola scriptura! How dare anyone assume that God’s word should be the final authority on all things.
All I've seen you do is give your personal interpretation of Scripture. That means you think you are your own Pope, with the infallibility God gave the position, with regard to creating doctrine. Isn't that sort of hypocritical?
And that there is truly funny…where will I find a pope in the Bible who was infallible? A man they call “holy father”…..who is a sinful as any other human being, and who lives in a palace and is served by others.…a place with enormous wealth, yet the major population in the RCC live in poverty…..did Jesus ever accept such a title? Wasn’t it Jesus who said “call no man your Father on earth for one is your Father, the heavenly one”. (Matt 23:9) Did Jesus live in a palace…..wasn’t he born in a stable to poor parents?
Didn’t he tell his disciples to share what they had with their brothers? In original Christianity, no one was in need because all shared what they had with their brothers. (Acts 4:32-35)

How many beggars are on the steps of the Vatican? Why are they ignored like the Pharisees ignored the poor beggars in their day? How many people show up at Lourdes expecting a miracle, that never happens?
Seriously? How do you hang on to such deception?

Rather than assume what Catholics believe, why don't you ask for an explanation, or at least ask what the Catholic doctrines really are, rather than posting accusations based on untruths and inaccuracies?
I have studied the Bible with many Catholic people who were appalled by the number of things they were taught by their church that find absolutely NO support in the Bible, yet they were led to believe that what their church teaches is the truth……sadly, there is not an once of truth in it. They were happy to leave.

So over to you now Augustin56….direct from God’s word…..
Show us in the scriptures where Mary is ever called the “mother of God”, and how she attained her “immaculate conception”.
Show us where there was ever a pope given infallibility to lead the church….
Show us where there were priests officiating at alters in grand structures with opulent trappings, in original Christianity?
Show us the grand titles and distinctive garments that were worn by the apostles…?
Show us purgatory and hellfire, used to keep the ignorant peasants in fear?
Show us justification for the idolatry seen in church practice.
Show us where any man on earth can give absolution for sins, confessed in a box.
Show us holy water and repetitious prayers using a rosary.

Then show us the role of the grand inquisitor….and by whose authority he was made the judge of a person’s eternal future. One source says that it has been estimated by careful and reputed historians of the Catholic Inquisition that 50 million people were slaughtered for the crime of "heresy" by Roman persecutors between the A.D. 606 and the middle of the 19th century.
That is a lot of bloodguilt…..(Isa 1:15)

I am following your advice and asking for an explanation…..
We will await your confirmation of all these things from God’s word, which you say is a product of the RCC.

Please remember that people’s lives are dependent on those who put themselves forward as teachers of God’s word….they are doubly accountable for what they teach because of that.

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy FATHER which is in secret; and thy FATHER which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (Matthew6:6)

Apparently, the church which pray openly in order to be seen by others or let other see them, already received their reward. (Matthew6:5end)

On the other hand, they are counted as workers of iniquity/lawlessness, because they violate failing as 'doers' and 'abider' to the word/teaching of Lord Jesus CHRIST. (Matthew7:21-27)

When Jesus prayed, He retreat to a secluded place, at times only seen by invited disciples to witness. Mainly in public Jesus ministered the Gospel, heal the evil oppressed in restoration and revive the dead to life with a command.

Reactions: Spyder and Shittim

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, they did. Both are within Scripture, if properly interpreted. I would invite you to read what the first Christians thought about these things by reading the Early Church Fathers. They were decidedly Catholic in their beliefs, doctrines, and worship.
That is exactly my point, and I'll say it again. Neither Yeshua nor His apostles ever said that Yeshua is God. The Catholic church did.

What Yahweh said is:

Is 37:16 “O LORD of hosts Yahweh, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

Is 37:20 So now, our God Yahweh, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone are the LORD.”

Is 42:8. I am Yahweh; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.

Is 44:8. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.”

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is not empowered by a logical approach, but by the indwelling illumination of the Holy Spirit.

Unbelievers read and understand what the word says, but that cannot accept it until God gives them the gift of faith.

also if you are not part of a local assembly , either as an elder or member in particular, then the bible calls you a rogue Christian and living in sin.
No, the bible says to not avoid time with fellow believers. It does not have to be in a "church" building. While it may appear impossible for those living in cities, there are very limited churches in many areas whose doctrines match those given in scripture. In fact, those churches don't want fellowship with those who don't accept their "statement of faith."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did I say that the Bible is empowered by a logical approach? Please quote my words. This is the 2nd time I have asked.

I spent three years visiting just about all the churches in Toronto. A couple of months ago, I finally settled to one home church :)
Well I looked again and I did misquote you. MY apologies. YOu said you use a logical approach to understand.

I am glad you are under the teaching of a Pastor/teacher, and a member in particular of a local church.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy FATHER which is in secret; and thy FATHER which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (Matthew6:6)

Apparently, the church which pray openly in order to be seen by others or let other see them, already received their reward. (Matthew6:5end)

On the other hand, they are counted as workers of iniquity/lawlessness, because they violate failing as 'doers' and 'abider' to the word/teaching of Lord Jesus CHRIST. (Matthew7:21-27)

When Jesus prayed, He retreat to a secluded place, at times only seen by invited disciples to witness. Mainly in public Jesus ministered the Gospel, heal the evil oppressed in restoration and revive the dead to life with a command.
Let proposition P1 = It is a sin for a Christian to pray publicly.

True?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the bible says to not avoid time with fellow believers. It does not have to be in a "church" building. While it may appear impossible for those living in cities, there are very limited churches in many areas whose doctrines match those given in scripture. In fact, those churches don't want fellowship with those who don't accept their "statement of faith."
Unless one is denied by theior living circumstances (great distances, lack of transpoort, incarcerated etc.) One must be part of a local assembly.
the bible does not excuse us because we may have to travel 20-30 miles to fellowship in biblical fashion.

Yes Christians can and shold get together to pray, read and do good works, but that is not a "church" meeting. If one is not under the authority of a pastor/teacher in a local assembly, they are a rogue christian and their usefulness by god is severely limited.

Yes we should test the doctrines of a church, no church will be perfect. but we find a believing church and grow andif God allows to bring up change in a teaching, we shouldt ake advantage.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly my point, and I'll say it again. Neither Yeshua nor His apostles ever said that Yeshua is God. The Catholic church did.

What Yahweh said is:

Is 37:16 “O LORD of hosts Yahweh, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

Is 37:20 So now, our God Yahweh, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone are the LORD.”

Is 42:8. I am Yahweh; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.

Is 44:8. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.”
Rather than try to just copy and paste an explanation, I'll put the link here for you that explains that Jesus is God, knew it, and claimed it to be so: Jesus Knew He Was God, and Said So

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Let proposition P1 = It is a sin for a Christian to pray publicly.

True?

'Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.' (1John3:4)

'Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not GOD. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the FATHER and Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him GOD speed: For he that biddeth him GOD speed is partaker of his evil deeds.' (2John1:9-11)

Isn't that a very strict instruction for the house that holds the church from Apostle John? Have witness many churches forsake the doctrine of Christ and act on the contrary. They mainly emphasizing verses of the Old Testament than the New doctrine of Christ. Do seem like the presence of GOD manifest in these churches, wonder, is it satan who disguises himself as an angel light and his angels presence instead?

Jesus, as we've been disciple, is very clear saying, "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: ...................................................." (read through Matthew7:24-27)

"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John8:31&32)

"It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of GOD.' " (Matthew4:4)

Many times have heard ministers of the word proclaim short the every word of GOD as written. Example, they frequently say, "Know the truth and truth shall set you free."

Please take note cautiously how it changes direction from what precisely Jesus have said and is written. Where fresh believers, as i was once, are deceived into thinking, knowing the basic and the significant teaching in the Gospel, we already set free? Apparently, i was proclaiming that over and over again, but am not free, yet struggle in sin. Until, the Spirit revealed the full verse in plain sight, as i kept on studying the Holy Bible. (1John2:26,27&28beginning)

Now, it is a sin for a Christian to pray publicly?

Everyone who abide in the doctrine of Christ in the New Testament, figure of speech, able to do the math, and next cast the vote.

Jesus said many gifted ministers will say to Him in that day, yet He rejects them, knew them not and tells depart, as workers of iniquity/lawlessness. (Matthew7:21-23)

Gifted man of GOD, they are out there today and alive and live on YouTube or not, everyday, why??

Plainly, they abide not in the every word doctrine of Christ in the New Testament, and fall short disappointing the Lord, to reject them as workers of iniquity/lawlessness. Please pray and reach out to them before the condemnation, if not welcomed, dust your feet as a warning, and move on to the next, thank you

Just imagine, how many lambs and sheep they would have led astray by their fall short to the word doctrine of the Lord? In ministry, whether they're gifted and preached greatly, worked miracles greatly or performed mighty works greatly? The fault of these lambs and sheep are, they look up to man of GOD, as 'gods'. Abide in their doctrine and traditions, as in denominations, rather than the Holy Bible, as apparently history tend to repeat itself. (Matthew15:7-9)

Just picture this, i was a slave, a king from a far away nation felt pity for me and bought me from my slave master. Brought me to His Kingdom and home, taught me His laws and precepts, gifted me, and gave me to take charge of a small part of His Kingdom. Entrusted, He left me alone to take charge of His treasures there, His flocks, earnings and safe guard them, even to death.

But, i thought i was wiser and can do better than that, or even Him, even His laws and precepts, just to prove to Him am more than worthy. Now, when the time comes for His return to gather what is His, probably thinking have overdone myself and made for Him abundance surely. Well, would this wise and righteous King approve of me of the quantity plenty i've made for Him, not fully abiding His laws and precepts? Or approve of me of the quality little i've made for Him, by abiding fully His laws and precepts?

'For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.' (Romans8:2)

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather than try to just copy and paste an explanation, I'll put the link here for you that explains that Jesus is God, knew it, and claimed it to be so: Jesus Knew He Was God, and Said So
So, I suppose that we should all accept that God was not serious when He told us the He -alone- is God. Those who claim that there is another God make Yahweh a liar. Yahweh made clear statements yet man thinks he can discover the deception performed by Yahweh. One day, those who claim to think that there is another God other than Yahweh will answer for it. For those who do not make that claim, they have not violated God's first command.

Dt 32:6 Do you thus repay Yahweh, you foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?

Dt 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Is 42:5–7. Thus says Yahweh God, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it: “I am Yahweh; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. (See John 1)

2 Sa 22:32 “For who is God, but Yahweh? And who is a rock, except our God?

2 Ki 19:14–15 And Hezekiah prayed before Yahweh and said: “Yahweh, the God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

Neh 9:6 “You are Yahweh, you alone. You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them; and you preserve all of them; and the host of heaven worships you.

PS 83:18 that they may know that you alone, whose name is the Yahweh, are the Most High over all the earth

Ps 86:8–10 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God.

Is 49:8-9 Thus says Yahweh: “In a time of favor I have answered you; in a day of salvation I have helped you; I will keep you and give you as a covenant to the people, to establish the land, to apportion the desolate heritages, saying to the prisoners, ‘Come out,’ to those who are in darkness, ‘Appear.’ They shall feed along the ways; on all bare heights shall be their pasture;

Your reference starts out with "If you’re looking for a Scripture passage where Jesus says, “Hey, everyone, I’m God!” you’re not going to find it. But you will find something else…" That should raise a Red Flag for anyone who is searching truth. That is eisegesis.

1 Co 3:19–20. For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness, ”and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.”

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I suppose that we should all accept that God was not serious when He told us the He -alone- is God. Those who claim that there is another God make Yahweh a liar. Yahweh made clear statements yet man thinks he can discover the deception performed by Yahweh. One day, those who claim to think that there is another God other than Yahweh will answer for it. For those who do not make that claim, they have not violated God's first command.

Dt 32:6 Do you thus repay Yahweh, you foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?

Dt 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Is 42:5–7. Thus says Yahweh God, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it: “I am Yahweh; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. (See John 1)

2 Sa 22:32 “For who is God, but Yahweh? And who is a rock, except our God?

2 Ki 19:14–15 And Hezekiah prayed before Yahweh and said: “Yahweh, the God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.

Neh 9:6 “You are Yahweh, you alone. You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them; and you preserve all of them; and the host of heaven worships you.

PS 83:18 that they may know that you alone, whose name is the Yahweh, are the Most High over all the earth

Ps 86:8–10 There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God.

Is 49:8-9 Thus says Yahweh: “In a time of favor I have answered you; in a day of salvation I have helped you; I will keep you and give you as a covenant to the people, to establish the land, to apportion the desolate heritages, saying to the prisoners, ‘Come out,’ to those who are in darkness, ‘Appear.’ They shall feed along the ways; on all bare heights shall be their pasture;

Your reference starts out with "If you’re looking for a Scripture passage where Jesus says, “Hey, everyone, I’m God!” you’re not going to find it. But you will find something else…" That should raise a Red Flag for anyone who is searching truth. That is eisegesis.

1 Co 3:19–20. For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness, ”and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.”
There is one God made up of Three Divine Persons:, which we call the Holy Trinity: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

All you can give is your personal opinion, since you do not have Apostolic Succession or a guarantee that you are doctrinally correct. And opinions are like noses. Everyone has one.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

Yes, that's a disciple.
And you can be one of those and go to Hell when you die.

Why?
Because to become a SON/Daughter of God, is an entirely different situation.

This is why Jesus said...>"you MUST be born again"...and never did he say, you must be a disciple.

As a matter of fact, when you are born again you become this..."no more a servant, but a SON/Daughter"..

Now, are we to SERVE GOD and Christ?
Of course, but that is not the same as a commandment worshiping/law worshiping disciple, who is trying to (fake it) = be like Christ, and isn't a part of the born again Family, yet.

Now, When a person becomes a Son/Daughter of God, by new birth (Spiritual), then discipleship follows this, naturally.
And its at this very sensitive time... when a person is a brand new baby Christian, that the cults will come for you., and if you don't do what Hebrews 13:9 tells you to do... then they will get you.

Reader, .. believers have this misconception, that..... "once im saved, the devil can't get me".
And no, he can't get you into Hell, as you have been born again into the KOG.... so, He can't touch that.,..,thats true.
:But He can get your mind tied up...., and once He has your mind, he has your life.

Reader, the Devil didnt create Christianity.. He created all the CULTs that pretend to be....