Which denomination do I belong to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lifetime of inculcation in "religion" and it's many needless rituals can blind one to the freedom faith and relationship with Christ brings. There will be ,many who did wonders in His name, yet He will say, "except for that, I knew you not". Seek relationship before it is too late, find Him while He may be found.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lifetime of inculcation in "religion" and it's many needless rituals can blind one to the freedom faith and relationship with Christ brings. There will be ,many who did wonders in His name, yet He will say, "except for that, I knew you not". Seek relationship before it is too late, find Him while He may be found.
We either worship God His way, or our way. A relationship between man and God or between perceived equals?

Religion: The moral virtue by which a person is disposed to render to God the worship and service He deserves. It is sometimes identified with the virtue of justice toward God, whose rights are rooted in His complete dominion over all creation. Religion is also a composite of all the virtues that arise from a human being's relationship to God as the author of his or her being, even as love is a cluster of all the virtues arising from human response to God as the destiny of his or her being. Religion thus corresponds to the practice of piety toward God as Creator of the universe.

• Wow
Reactions: Shittim

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is so much to disagree with here, based on your ideological anti-Catholicism, rather than objective truth, that it would take far longer than I have the energy or desire to address. If Iwere a younger man with more energy, and I thought that you might be open to objective truth, perhaps.
I know you disagree, but can you defend Catholic doctrine by scripture? There is no way.....that is what would create the difficulty for you. Trying to find “the mother of God” in the Bible...or the immaculate conception.....immortal souls....and a hell of eternal torment.....trans substantiation....an earthly priesthood.....or in fact any Catholic doctrine.
The church’s adoration of Mary is unique to itself....she does not feature much at all in the Christian scriptures...certainly not to the degree that she is featured in Catholic worship.....where does the church get the idea that she is somehow a mediatrix?
And justifying the idolatry is not going to make it right with God. The decorations in the temple were not used in worship....they clearly are in Roman Catholicism.
1 Tim 2:5...
“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus”.
If there is but one mediatorbetween God and men” then the mediator cannot be God. A mediator facilitates communication between two estranged parties.....this is the reason why our prayers must be directed to the Father in Jesus’ name. He alone is the intercessor, delivering our prayers and requests for forgiveness to God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Religion thus corresponds to the practice of piety toward God as Creator of the universe.
No amount of piety towards God will account for anything if it is misdirected.....the apostle Paul is a good example. His zeal for his faith was admirable, but the way he demonstrated it was not.....Jesus gave him the opportunity to change his heart, and he was humble enough to see the error of his ways. He spent the rest of his life making up for the trouble he caused to those who became his own “brothers”. He was there approving of the murder of Stephen, the first Christian martyr.....and that must have weighed heavily on his conscience, once he accepted the truth and realised that Jesus was indeed the Christ. But he had assurance that he was forgiven on the basis of Christ’s sacrifice. He never stopped serving the interests of his God, in the service of his Lord and Master.

Reactions: Spyder

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
I don't have a denomination and I don't belong to the category of non-denomination either.
Hi there Tony, would want to know, when you were in these denomination, when they pray, do they sit or stand?

Thank you.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi there Tony, would want to know, when you were in these denomination, when they pray, do they sit or stand?

Thank you.
Some congregations sat, some stood, some kneeled, and some all of the above.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you deny history. We can agree to disagree. What a great country we have where we can speak our minds, rightly or wrongly. For now, anyway.

The doctrines of the Catholic Church are the original doctrines given mankind by Christ. There was no other Church for the first 1000 years of Christianity. Then, in 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off, but retained Apostolic Succession. Protestantism didn't begin till the 16th century.

You have to ask yourself, if you have a different set of doctrines than the Catholic Church, where did they come from? Did Jesus come back and make some "corrections?" Or an angel (like the Mormon's seem to claim)? Where did this new "information" come from? Personal interpretation of the Bible? That clearly doesn't work since we have tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally contradicting Protestant denominations, all claiming to read the same Bible and claim to be led by the same Holy Spirit, but coming up with different and contradictory interpretations.

Tell me, where did this new information, contradictory to the original information, come from?
Sir, are you referring to the doctrines of the first few hundred years or the middle set or the current set of doctrines given by Jesus?

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know you disagree, but can you defend Catholic doctrine by scripture? There is no way.....that is what would create the difficulty for you. Trying to find “the mother of God” in the Bible...or the immaculate conception.....immortal souls....and a hell of eternal torment.....trans substantiation....an earthly priesthood.....or in fact any Catholic doctrine.
The church’s adoration of Mary is unique to itself....she does not feature much at all in the Christian scriptures...certainly not to the degree that she is featured in Catholic worship.....where does the church get the idea that she is somehow a mediatrix?
And justifying the idolatry is not going to make it right with God. The decorations in the temple were not used in worship....they clearly are in Roman Catholicism.
1 Tim 2:5...
“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus”.
If there is but one mediatorbetween God and men” then the mediator cannot be God. A mediator facilitates communication between two estranged parties.....this is the reason why our prayers must be directed to the Father in Jesus’ name. He alone is the intercessor, delivering our prayers and requests for forgiveness to God.
Hey, Aunty Jane!

Couple of things here to consider:

1. I don't subscribe to the man-made, erroneous doctrine of Sola Scriptura, nowhere supported in Scripture. But, yes, I can defend the Church's doctrines from Scripture. Not as you personally interpret them, but as the original authors of Scripture intended them to be interpreted. St. Peter nixes personal interpretation of Scripture with regard to creating doctrine in 2 Peter 1:20-21.

2. The Catholic Church preceeded the New Testament in writing. It was members of the Catholic Church that wrote the New Testament and, later, in the late 4th century, decided which books belonged in the New Testament and which ones did not, out of the more than 300 it analyzed.

All I've seen you do is give your personal interpretation of Scripture. That means you think you are your own Pope, with the infallibility God gave the position, with regard to creating doctrine. Isn't that sort of hypocritical?

Rather than assume what Catholics believe, why don't you ask for an explanation, or at least ask what the Catholic doctrines really are, rather than posting accusations based on untruths and inaccuracies?

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having been an ordained minister and having served God in denominational churches, I have surrendered my ordination. It took years of scripture studies after my degree before I realized how many doctrines in religious "statement of faith" pages are not scriptural. Of course, that leaves me non-denominational. I have no statement of faith. If I have brothers and sisters who want to meet and discuss what God has revealed in scripture, I do not assume the authority to tell anyone what to believe. I trust God to give me truth. My task is to examine scripture and let the convictions come to me via His spirit in me. Yes, it can be a slow process for new believers; but it is slower yet for those who have been in a denomination which told them what to believe. My beliefs are between God and me. I'll answer to Him when the time comes - as will we all.
Spyder, that's an interesting testimony. Clearly, you are seeking God and His truths. That is admirable.

When you say something is "not scriptural" to what are you comparing it with regard to Scripture? Your own personal interpretation? Or the interpretation that has always been held since the beginning? (Just food for thought...)

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, yes, I can defend the Church's doctrines from Scripture. Not as you personally interpret them, but as the original authors of Scripture intended them to be interpreted.

The Catholic Church preceeded the New Testament in writing. It was members of the Catholic Church that wrote the New Testament.
These are pretty bold statements, brother. Since you claim to interpret scripture as the original author(s) intended them. are you claiming to know what God intended? If so, I would think the Catholic church would excommunicate you.

Then again, the New Testament books were written before the Early Church Fathers (ECF) existed, so I don't see how you can make that claim. I'm sure that none of the New Testament authors were Catholic.

I have attended Mass and received communion. It is somewhat different from Protestant ones. (I like it better because it is a very solemn event). However, I even attempted to go to confession, but when the priest was told that I had never been before, he refused my confession. Where in the bible am I not eligible to confess my sins before man? Wow! I was really floored by the concept that I was not good enough to obey the scriptures in that church. It sure seemed like a closed community where membership is required to participate.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spyder, that's an interesting testimony. Clearly, you are seeking God and His truths. That is admirable.

When you say something is "not scriptural" to what are you comparing it with regard to Scripture? Your own personal interpretation? Or the interpretation that has always been held since the beginning? (Just food for thought...)
Since I have surrendered my ordination in order to be free to let God give me understanding, that is what I depend on. Without getting in the mud, my brother, "held since the beginning" means before the destruction of the second Temple. All of the New Testament letters were written by then.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are pretty bold statements, brother. Since you claim to interpret scripture as the original author(s) intended them. are you claiming to know what God intended? If so, I would think the Catholic church would excommunicate you.

Then again, the New Testament books were written before the Early Church Fathers (ECF) existed, so I don't see how you can make that claim. I'm sure that none of the New Testament authors were Catholic.

I have attended Mass and received communion. It is somewhat different from Protestant ones. (I like it better because it is a very solemn event). However, I even attempted to go to confession, but when the priest was told that I had never been before, he refused my confession. Where in the bible am I not eligible to confess my sins before man? Wow! I was really floored by the concept that I was not good enough to obey the scriptures in that church. It sure seemed like a closed community where membership is required to participate.
I can see how you might think that. But, no. I read Scripture in light of the original doctrines that Christ handed over to His Apostles, who, in turn, handed them over to their successors, the bishops, who have done likewise for 2000 years now. Not once have any of these doctrines been changed. They are the original Deposit of Faith.

All of the original authors of Scripture were Catholic because there were no other Christian churches for the first 1000 years of Christianity. Then, in 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off. Here's a good video that explains, from an historical perspective, of what happened then:

Protestantism, with it's man-made, unbibilcal doctrines of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide didn't arrive on the historical scene until the 16th century, and all they've done is continually splintered into literall tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally contradicting denominations since (and counting). That cannot be the grounds for the fullness of Christ's truth which He gave mankind through His Church.

The Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ. St. Ignatius of Antioch, the bishop of Antioch ordained and appointed by St. Peter, himself, was captured by the Romans. While they were transporting him to be martyred for the faith, he wrote a letter to the Smyrnaeans around 107-110 A.D., referring to the "Catholic Church," not in such a manner as if he were coining the term, but in such a manner in which he fully expected the Smyrnaeans to understand what he was talking about. It says in paragraph 8, "Where the bishop is present, there let the congregation gather, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

See the entire letter here: https://www.orderofstignatius.org/files/Letters/Ignatius_to_Smyrnaeans.pdf

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I have surrendered my ordination in order to be free to let God give me understanding, that is what I depend on. Without getting in the mud, my brother, "held since the beginning" means before the destruction of the second Temple. All of the New Testament letters were written by then.
And, your point is...? (I'm claiming that the Apostles and their successors, the bishops, belonged to the one, true, original Church founded by Christ, that we call "Catholic.") The word "Catholic" comes from the Greek katholikos, the combination of two words, kata (concerning), and holos (whole). According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, the word catholic comes from a Greek word meaning “regarding the whole,” or, more simply, “universal” or “general.” The word church comes from the Greek ecclesia, which means “those called out,” as in those summoned out of the world at large to form a distinct society. So the Catholic Church is made up of those called out and gathered into the universal society founded by Christ.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see how you might think that. But, no. I read Scripture in light of the original doctrines that Christ handed over to His Apostles, who, in turn, handed them over to their successors, the bishops, who have done likewise for 2000 years now. Not once have any of these doctrines been changed. They are the original Deposit of Faith.

All of the original authors of Scripture were Catholic because there were no other Christian churches for the first 1000 years of Christianity. Then, in 1054 A.D., the Orthodox splintered off. Here's a good video that explains, from an historical perspective, of what happened then:

Protestantism, with it's man-made, unbibilcal doctrines of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide didn't arrive on the historical scene until the 16th century, and all they've done is continually splintered into literall tens of thousands of man-made, doctrinally contradicting denominations since (and counting). That cannot be the grounds for the fullness of Christ's truth which He gave mankind through His Church.

The Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Christ. St. Ignatius of Antioch, the bishop of Antioch ordained and appointed by St. Peter, himself, was captured by the Romans. While they were transporting him to be martyred for the faith, he wrote a letter to the Smyrnaeans around 107-110 A.D., referring to the "Catholic Church," not in such a manner as if he were coining the term, but in such a manner in which he fully expected the Smyrnaeans to understand what he was talking about. It says in paragraph 8, "Where the bishop is present, there let the congregation gather, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

See the entire letter here: https://www.orderofstignatius.org/files/Letters/Ignatius_to_Smyrnaeans.pdf
Brother, neither Jesus nor the Apostles taught the doctrines of the Trinity or the infallibility of the Pope.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Augustine corrupted the church with his pagan doctrines that came from Platonism and Manicheanism. he married Greek Philosophy/Gnosticism with Christianity and the church bought it hook, line and sinker. Every church historian is aware of the corrupt doctrines that came from augustine,

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, neither Jesus nor the Apostles taught the doctrines of the Trinity or the infallibility of the Pope.
Actually, they did. Both are within Scripture, if properly interpreted. I would invite you to read what the first Christians thought about these things by reading the Early Church Fathers. They were decidedly Catholic in their beliefs, doctrines, and worship.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gnosticism vs. Early Christianity

In the days of the Early Church, the debate between the freedom of man’s will vs. the total depravity of man’s nature was one of the major divisions between the early Christians and the Gnostic sects. Beausobre said, “…those ancient writers, in general, say that Manichaeans denied free-will. The reason is, that the Fathers believed, and maintained, against the Manichaeans, that whatever state man is in he has the command over his own actions, and has equally power to do good or evil.”2 W. F. Hook said, “The Manichaeans so denied free will, as to hold a fatal necessity of sinning.”3 Lyman Beecher said, “…the free will and natural ability of man were held by the whole church… natural inability was to that of the pagan philosophers, the Gnostic’s, and the Manichaeans.”4

There were many different Gnostic groups in the days of early Christianity, who also denied the freedom of man’s will, such as Marcionism started by Marcion. But one of the greatest competitors and threats to the Early Church was the Manichaeans started by Manes, a Persian philosopher, also known as Mani.

The Early Church debated the founder of this Gnostic group in the Acta Archelai,” also known as “The Disputation with Manes.” Archelaus, a bishop in the Early Church, represented their doctrine that God does not make us with ruined natures but has given us free will. Mani took the Gnostic position that man’s nature was totally depraved and corrupted and that man did not have a free will.

The judges of the debate ruled in favor of Archelaeus and ruled against Mani, stating that man does in fact have free will as opposed to a depraved nature. The belief of early Christianity is stated in the debate in this way, “All the creatures that God made, He made very good. And He gave to every individual the sense of free will, by which standard He also instituted the law of judgment… our will is constituted to choose either to sin or not to sin… And certainly whoever will, may keep the commandments. Whoever despises them and turns aside to what is contrary to them, shall yet without doubt have to face this law of judgment… There can be no doubt that every individual, in using his own proper power of will, may shape his course in whatever direction he pleases.”5

This debate of constitutional liberty vs. constitutional corruption between Mani and Archelaus dealt with the very core of Early Christianity vs. the emerging Gnosticism. The danger that the Early Church saw with the Gnostics was that they professed to be Christians and they claimed to be teaching Christian doctrine. In fact, the Gnostic’s declared that they were the real or true Christians who had special knowledge that others did not. The Church considered Manichaeans to be imposters and Manichaeism to be a counterfeit. The leaders of Christianity were worried that Gnostic doctrine might corrupt the Churches.

The Gnostics, for example, taught that the flesh was sinful in and of itself. Hans Jonas said that in Gnosticism, “The human body is of devilish substance and – in this trait exceeding the general derogation of the universe – also of a devilish design.”6 Because the Gnostic’s viewed the flesh as a sinful substance, they denied that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, and that is why the Scriptures called them “antichrist” (1 Jn. 4:3, 2 Jn. 1:7). “And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is the spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world” (1 Jn. 4:3). “For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist” (2 Jn. 1:7).

Gnosticism believes that sin is the substance of the body, which is inherited at conception, so that man is born sinful or with a sinful nature. The Early Church, on the other hand, taught that sin was a free choice of the will, which is originated by the individual. The Gnostics taught that man was sinful by nature, while the Early Church taught that man was sinful by choice.

It was referring to these Gnostic groups that John wrote, “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us” (1 Jn. 2:19). We can see then that the teachings of the Gnostics were condemned in the Scriptures.

On the other hand, in Philippians 4:3 Paul mentions “my fellowlabourers” “in the gospel,” and he names “Clement,” whose name he said was written “in the book of life…” History knows this man, who was Paul’s companion and who was endorsed by the Scriptures themselves, as Clement of Rome. Clement said, “It is therefore in the power of every one, since man has been made possessed of free-will, whether he shall hear us to life, or the demons to destruction.”7 Clement said that “free-will” was given because “he who is good by his own choice is really good; but he who is made good by another under necessity is not really good, because he is not what he is by his own choice…”8 Clement also said that the reason a sinner was susceptible to God’s punishment for their disobedience was because a sinner has the ability to obey God. He said, “For no other reason does God punish the sinner either in the present or in the future world, except because He knows that the sinner was able to conquer but neglected to gain the victory.”9 The reason that a sinner is punishable for sinning, he said, is because a sinner is able not to sin. He said that a sinner is punished, not for his inability but for his negligence.

Ignatius was another figure in the Early Church. He was a disciple of the Apostle John and was martyred in the Roman Coliseum by being eaten by lions. In contradiction to Gnosticism, Ignatius taught that men were sinners, not by nature but by choice. Ignatius said, “If anyone is truly religious, he is a man of God; but if he is irreligious, he is a man of the devil, made such, not by nature, but by his own choice.”10 Ignatius also said, “…there is set before us life upon our observance [of God’s precepts], but death as the result of disobedience, and every one, according to the choice he makes, shall go to his own place, let us flee from death, and make choice of life.”11

The Apostle John also had a disciple named Polycarp. Polycarp was the Bishop of the Church in Smyrna when Revelation was written. The Church of Smyrna was one of the only Churches in Revelation which Jesus did not say anything negative against (Rev. 2:8-11). Polycarp was a personal friend of Ignatius and he too was also sent to the Coliseum and was martyred as Ignatius was.

Polycarp had a faithful disciple named Irenaeus. Irenaeus refuted the Gnostics by saying, “Men are possessed with free will, and endowed with the faculty of making a choice. It is not true, therefore, that some are by nature good, and others bad.”12 He also said, “Man is endowed with the faculty of distinguishing good and evil; so that, without compulsion, he has the power, by his own will and choice, to perform God’s commandments.”13 And, “man is possessed of free will from the beginning, and God is possessed of free will (in whom likeness man was created)…”14 And he said, “This expression, ‘How often would I have gathered thy children together, and thou wouldst not,’ set forth the ancient law of human liberty, because God made man a free agent from the beginning, possessing his own soul to obey the behests of God voluntarily, and not by compulsion of God.”15

Justin Martyr was an early evangelist and apologist for the Christian faith. He labored tirelessly for the Lord until he too was martyred in Rome. He said, “We have learned from the prophets, and we hold it to be true, that punishment, chastisement, and rewards are rendered according to the merit of each man’s actions. Otherwise, if all things happen by fate, then nothing is our own power. For if it is predestined that one man be good and another man evil, then the first is not deserving of praise and the other to be blamed. Unless humans have the power of avoiding evil and choosing good by free choice, they are not accountable for their actions – whatever they may be … for neither would a man be worthy of praise if he did not himself choose the good, but was merely created for that end. Likewise, if a man were created evil, he would not deserve punishment, since he was not evil of himself, being unable to do anything else than what he was made for.”16

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
continued :

Tertullian was another leader in the Early Church. He was a Christian apologist and is known for his prolific writings. He was in perfect agreement with early Christianity when he said, “No reward can be justly bestowed, no punishment can be justly inflicted, upon him who is good or bad by necessity, and not by his own choice.”17

Methodius was a Christian martyr who lived near the end of the third century. He wrote, “Those [pagans] who decide that man does not have free will, but say that he is governed by the unavoidable necessities of fate, are guilty of impiety toward God Himself, making Him out to be the cause and author of human evils.”18 He said, “…the Divine Being is not by nature implicated in evils. Therefore our birth is not the cause of these things…”19 He went on to say that men are “possessing free will, and not by nature evil…”20 He said, “…there is nothing evil by nature, but it is by use that evil things become such. So I say, says he, that man was made with free-will, not as if there were already evil in existence, which he had the power of choosing if he wished, but on account of his capacity of obeying or disobeying God. For this was the meaning of the gift of free will… and this alone is evil, namely, disobedience…”21 And he also said, “God did not make evil, nor is He at all in any way the author of evil; but whatever failed to keep the law, which He in all justice ordained, after being made by Him with the faculty of free-will, for the purpose of guarding and keeping it, is called evil. Now it is the gravest fault to disobey God, by overstepping the bounds of that righteousness which is consistent with free-will…”22

Eusebius was a Bishop in the Early Church who is considered the father of “Church History” for his extensive writings in ecclesiastical history. He wrote, “On the Life of Pamphilus,” “Chronicle of Universal History,” and “On the Martyrs.” He clearly laid out the position of the Early Church on this topic when he wrote, “The Creator of all things has impressed a natural law upon the soul of every man, as an assistant and ally in his conduct, pointing out to him the right way by this law; but, by the free liberty with which he is endowed, making the choice of what is best worthy of praise and acceptance, because he has acted rightly, not by force, but from his own free-will, when he had it in his power to act otherwise, As, again, making him who chooses what is worst, deserving of blame and punishment, as having by his own motion neglected the natural law, and becoming the origin and fountain of wickedness, and misusing himself, not from any extraneous necessity, but from free will and judgment. The fault is in him who chooses, not in God. For God is has not made nature or the substance of the soul bad; for he who is good can make nothing but what is good. Everything is good which is according to nature. Every rational soul has naturally a good free-will, formed for the choice of what is good. But when a man acts wrongly, nature is not to be blamed; for what is wrong, takes place not according to nature, but contrary to nature, it being the work of choice, and not of nature!”23 Eusebius went as far as to say that it was the doctrine of devils to teach that man’s will was not at liberty was but in the bonds of necessity. He said, “The devil in his oracles hangs all things upon fate, and taking away that which is in our power, and arises from self-motion of free will… brings this also into bondage to necessity.”24

There is no shortage or lack of supply from the Early Church when it comes to quotations in regards to the freedom of man’s will; but the quotations referenced above should suffice to make my point that free will was a universal doctrine of early Christianity. What the Early Church believed and what the Gnostic’s believed should be brought to our attention and considered in this discussion. An understanding of the origin of doctrines such as inability is very helpful. The Gnostic’s held to the doctrine of man’s total inability and this doctrine did not find any acceptance at all by the Church until Augustine converted from Manichaean Gnosticism, as we shall see.

Free Will Is A Faculty Of Our Nature

The Early Church, before Augustine, taught that free will was an essential element of our God given nature. That is, they taught that it was a faculty of our constitution, and that we abuse that faculty of free will when we choose to sin. They taught that all men have the same nature in the sense that the faculty of free will is in the constitution of all.

Irenaeus said, “Forasmuch as all men are of the same nature, having power to hold and to do that which is good, and having power again to lose it, and not to do what is right; before men of sense, (and how much more before God!) some… are justly accused, and receive condign punishment, because they refuse what is just and right.”25 Again Irenaeus said, “Those who do not do it [good] will receive the just judgment of God, because they had not worked good when they had it in their power to do so. But if some had been made by nature bad, and others good, these latter would not be deserving of praise for being good, for they were created that way, nor would the former be reprehensible, for that is how they were made. However, all men are of the same nature. They are all able to hold fast and to go what is good. On the other hand, they have the power to cast good from them and not to do it.”26

Pelagius, who is historically known for teaching free will in the days of Augustine, was in perfect agreement with the Early Church on this point. He said, “In all there is free-will equally by nature…”27

Origen said, “The Scriptures…emphasize the freedom of the will. They condemn those who sin, and approve those who do right… We are responsible for being bad and worthy of being cast outside. For it is not the nature in us that is the cause of the evil; rather, it is the voluntary choice that works evil.”28 He also said, “the heretics introduce the doctrine of different natures.”29

There were two conflicting views of human nature during the days of the Early Church. The Christians believed that free will was a faculty of the nature of every man by virtue of his creation. Therefore the Early Christians viewed the sinfulness of man as being all together voluntary, caused by the freedom of their own wills. The Gnostics, on the other hand, believed that the human nature of each man was created so corrupt and ruined that mankind did not have the freedom to choose what was good. They viewed the actions of men as being caused by their natures. The Early Christians taught that it is not that some men choose evil because their nature is evil, while other men choose what was good because their natures were good, but that all men have the same nature, all having the faculty of free will in their constitution, and each man chooses by free will to be either good or evil in their moral character.

The errors of the Gnostics were continually rejected by the Early Church, but the Gnostics continued to try to penetrate the Church with their views. The Gnostics even wrote their own gospels, known as the Gnostic Gospels today, where they stole credible names like Mary and Thomas to try to give validity to their teachings.

While many of the attempts of the Gnostics to infiltrate the Church failed, and many of their views are widely rejected today, it seems that their particular view of human nature, free will, and the nature of sin has found wide acceptance in the Church today. While the view of the Early Church on human nature, free will, and sin is seldom held to or taught in our time.https://biblicaltruthresources.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/was-augustine-a-gnostic-heretic-did-he-corrupt-the-church-with-gnostic-doctrine/

hope this helps !!!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Which denomination do I belong to?​

God's.

1Co 3:3
For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4
For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1Co 3:5
Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
1Co 3:6
I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
1Co 3:7
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
1Co 3:8
Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
1Co 3:9
For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
1Co 3:10
According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Co 3:11
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Why does man try to claim credit for something only God alone can do?
Who is Calvin, or who is White, or Wesley, or any other name of a denomination one claims?
Who is the baptist, the evangelist, the catholic, are these not just instruments God uses to draw man?

I don't belong to any denomination or non-denomination (whatever that it) .
I belong to God and he builds it how he sees fit.

Now if all denominations make up the one body of Christ, I have to admit it appears sadly broken.
Why would I join a broken body when I can belong to God's perfect body?

Come out of her my People. All of them.

Hugs

Reactions: amadeus

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We either worship God His way, or our way. A relationship between man and God or between perceived equals?

Religion: The moral virtue by which a person is disposed to render to God the worship and service He deserves. It is sometimes identified with the virtue of justice toward God, whose rights are rooted in His complete dominion over all creation. Religion is also a composite of all the virtues that arise from a human being's relationship to God as the author of his or her being, even as love is a cluster of all the virtues arising from human response to God as the destiny of his or her being. Religion thus corresponds to the practice of piety toward God as Creator of the universe.
we worship in Spirit and in truth, not a contrived ritual heavy guilt trip imposed by a man made organization.
Jesus did it all on the cross, when He said, "It is finished" He meant it, we don't jump through ritual hoops to make ourselves worthy of salvation, as religions most often impose.
best wishes