Which woman would you take?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@farouk
Polygamy is condemned by Paul when he addressed the qualifications for deacons and Elders. "Elders and deacons are to be the husbands of ONE wife"! (1 Timothy 3:2,12; Titus 1:6)

First of all, this passage is not addressed to all believers in Christ, but applies only to elders and deacons. Period. We cannot take something that only applies to a specific group of men, and apply that too all men in general. This would be taking a verse out of its context.

Secondly, notice, these passages do not say "only" one wife. The Greek word that "one" is translated from here is word #3391, mia, and is also translated as "a" or "the first" in other parts of scripture. Thus the emphasis would be that an elder needs to be a married man, having children, and that he must not have divorced his first wife.

For example, in the following passages, the word "a" is the same word translated "one" above:

Matthew 21:19,"And when he saw a fig tree in the way..."
Matthew 26:69, "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him...",
Revelation 9:13, "And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice..."
Likewise, Elders and deacons are to be the husbands of a wife, and have children, because if he cannot rule his own household, how can he rule the assembly of Christ? This passage does not limit him to only one wife, that is not its point. The purpose for these qualifications is stated in 1 Timothy 3:5, "(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the assembly of God)?" The point is that he must be able to rule his wife and children, and if he has multiple wives, and is able to rule them, so much the better! Any man who can love and rule multiple women, and made them happy, according to the Word of God, is certainly qualified to rule a congregation of many other believers!

Another example of how the word "one" is translated is when scripture speaks of Christ having risen "the first day of the week" (Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2,9, Luke 24:1, John 20:1,19), the phrase "the first" is translated from the same word that "one" is translated from above. Thus, it can also read as follows, "Elders and Deacons are to be the husbands of the first wife."

Again, the purpose for these qualifications is stated in 1 Timothy 3:5, "(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the assembly of God)?" And if an elder or a bishop was divorced from his first wife, he would be violating God's Law regulating polygamy, which states, "If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish" (Exodus 21:10). In other words, if an elder or a bishop was not still married to his first wife because of divorce, but married to other women, then he would be diminishing his first wife's food, raiment, and her duty of marriage, and therefore evidences that he does not know how to rule his own house, and therefore cannot rule the assembly of God.

Some might object to this interpretation that an elder needs to be a married man with children because they say Paul was an elder but was a single man. However, scripture does not say Paul was an elder. And even though Paul was unmarried (1 Corinthians 7:8), a glance at Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon, and Zodhiates Word Studies, will reveal that 'unmarried' is used to denote both 'bachelors' and 'widowers'. It refers to those who are not currently married, whether they have never been married or were once married and have been widowed, or divorced. The parallelism thus suggests that in 1 Corinthians 7:8 'unmarried' refers only to widowers', and not to any bachelor or single person. Paul himself could have been a widower. Especially since the Bible implies that Paul was married! As a Pharisee (Acts 23:6; 26:5) Paul must have been married because there were no single Pharisees. Also, Paul himself defended his prerogative to take a wife and bring her on his journeys with him as other apostles (1 Corinthians 9:5).

Paul's purpose in 1 Corinthians 7 is not to give requirements and advice for the eldership, anyway! Due to the "present distress" (vs. 26) Paul advised "that it is good for a man to remain as he is:" This "present distress" was a situation unique to the earlier church due to the persecution that was prophesied by Daniel and Jesus.

Polygamy Is Not Sinful

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I would like to add something:
The Bible deals with the subject of sex easily. What I mean to say is that men are allowed to have sex with women they don't even know. Jehovah's Witnesses often teach that sex is forbidden before marriage but this is not true. Nowhere does the Bible condemn this.
An example from the Bible: Judah the son of Jacob saw a woman during his journey. He did not know that it was Tamar, the wife of his sons, because she was dressed like a whore. And because he thought she was a whore, he slept with her and fathered a child. He was not married to her. This woman, who looked like a whore in the eyes of Judah, is the mother of Yeshua the Son of God.
This act was never condemned by God, rather, He brought forth His beloved son from the flesh of Tamar.

But what the Bible condemns very hard is sex between people of the same sex.
And if a man lie with a man as one lies with a woman, both have committed an abomination, they shall surely be put to death, their blood is upon them. Leviticus 20:13

Last edited:

bukka

Jun 7, 2020
Western North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. A woman who is so beautiful like a diamond but has a bad spirit.
or
2. A woman who has a spirit like a dove. A woman who serves YHWH.

I would take number one because I love beautiful women. It is bad to think so but my eyes and my heart become always weak if I see a woman who looks like pure gold.
If I would take the number two I would not know if I could keep the marriage.

I would agree with JohnDB: Beauty may only be skin deep but ugly goes to the bone...

Though I've loved some very beautiful women over the years, I have found the most interesting women are the intellectual, sometimes awkward women who are independent and spiritual in their walk with the Lord. I've discovered skin-deep beauty doesn't age well, but the women who have spiritual beauty are perennially beautiful and ever fascinating.

It's been my experience that falling in love with a physically beautiful woman merely is like loving a car because of its paint job. It's what's under that paint job that counts.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I mean to say is that men are allowed to have sex with women they don't even know. Jehovah's Witnesses often teach that sex is forbidden before marriage but this is not true.

Where are you getting this?
Boy howdy have you totally blown the understanding of scriptures out of the water with this one...

The Tamar situation was about taking on a second wife when you are supposed to. (Polygamy was mandated in particular situations like this one) but no one would actually take Tamar for a wife and since Judah was the patriarch for his family that didn't want to...it fell to him to marry Tamar.

It was a sin for him to sleep with a prostitute. But he wouldn't sleep with Tamar who he was supposed to.
Notice what he says about it later "She is more righteous than me"

Fornication is always forbidden.

Reactions: historyb

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Somewhat. I've met a few stunning women who were Christians, but in both cases they had their heads too much in the world, as did their husbands. Their mindset was all about earthly accomplishment, for themselves and their children. But I have seen many, many women who were attractive - not models, but attractive women - and yet they had personalities and gifts that made them far more attractive to me personally.

It's a package deal you're looking for, at least as you get older.
I have seen women who once looked great when young become yuck.
I have seen women who once looked nothing become looking great as they aged, I am not talking about weight but their face. I was like blown away by how some such is so good looking now.
I suppose it's the same with men who look distinguished like me women say but I am over weight now and I look and feel like rubbish now myself.

My elder brother was telling me a story say 10 years a go, him in his 50's say he would go out on the town and people would call him Fabio, he has long blond hair and so he got a cab home one night and 2 young girls were in the cab and they had a go at his gut, he only started to get that from 50yo and he let rip on them both abusing them of their condition at their age and when they got out, the cabby said that was a bit harsh mate.
His youngest son says that the old man is always on simmer 24/7 and ready to fire up in an instant ! haha.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. But sex before marriage is not forbidden.
But if you say so, I ask you for a bible passage.
"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."
Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.
And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.
Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." I Cor 6:12-20