Which woman would you take?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the most prophets had more than 3 wives.
A man is allowed to take more than one woman, according to the bible.
Foolishness! Men did take more than one woman but this does not mean that God approved!

"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matt 19:6

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.
For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.
Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.
And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.
And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,
And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded." I Kings 11:4-10

Mt 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here." Matt 12:42

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matt 5:27-28

"I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?" Job 31:1

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27
Great post, @amadeus ! Having many wives ended up being one of Solomon's downfalls!

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Foolishness! Men did take more than one woman but this does not mean that God approved!

"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matt 19:6
Amen, brother!!!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the NT say a husband must have only one wife?

And do you want to judge Abraham, Jacob, Gideon, Samuel, David.....? These great prophets had more than two wives and you say it is a sin? Who are you that you know it better than these men?
@farouk did not say it was a sin. That was not his call, but we should be paying attention to what God says to us rather than trying to follow the example of men... even men of God. If we do not put first things first as God orders them, what should we expect from Him for ourselves? To desire even one wife could be a selfish thing. To desire more than one and then to pursue that desire is more likely to be a carnal selfish thing, is it not?

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil 2:3

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's about a bishop.
And where does it say a man must have only one wife? Or where does the bible say a man is not allowed to take more than one wife?

And by the way are you better than Abraham? Who are you?

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ." I Cor 11:1

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a bishop and i am not a deacon. And I think you aren't it too.

The bible has never forbidden polygamy. The law of Moses in which all laws are included has never forbidden it. Also the NT says nothing about it, never does the NT say: You need to have only one wife or You are not allowed to have more than one wife.
The great prophets like Gideon, Abraham, Jacob... had many wives.

But what the bible says is not to have too many wives, so that your heart become bad. It is like wealth if you have too many wealth your heart become bad too.
Man began wandering away from God when Adam and Eve disobeyed... and they continued to wander until even sincere men of God did no know and could not know what God required of them. Our example to follow is Not that of Gideon or of Jacob or of even David, but of Jesus, who did not marry a woman of flesh at all. Instead of looking for ways to excuse yourself when you wish to pursue the desires of your own flesh should you not ask rather of God what it is that He would have you to do? Jacob took one wife and then her sister and then the two handmaidens of his two wives, but this was long before God gave a written law to Moses to help men to deal properly second wives:

"If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish." Ex 21:10

When Jesus came also came to whosoever the Holy Spirit to lead us into where God really wanted us to be. Would you now continue to strive to lead yourself?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

Reactions: Giuliano and Nancy

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@amadeus
I could disprove everything you have written but I don't feel like it and I don't have the time because you have written a lot. Take your best proof you have that shows that God forbids polygamy and I will disprove it.

During that, answer this question: If polygamy is bad in the eyes of god, so why then has he gift several women to a prophet? :)

Polygamy as a gift?? Hmm :)

Do you know which bible passage I mean? :)

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am so blessed to have been married to a totally faithful man who still loves me for 50 years. Choose the right one first time and you won't need anybody else no matter how beautiful or handsome they are.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus
I could disprove everything you have written but I don't feel like it and I don't have the time because you have written a lot. Take your best proof you have that shows that God forbids polygamy and I will disprove it.

During that, answer this question: If polygamy is bad in the eyes of god, so why then has he gift several women to a prophet? :)
I never said that God forbade polygamy. One of His sheep, who follows His lead always will not even hear the voice of a stranger. But... many are following strangers and calling themselves perhaps something that they are not.

A man can take the written Bible and find support for many different beliefs, which I believe would not please God. This is why we need to be led by the Holy Spirit. Following a carnal man using even what is written in the Bible or leading one's own carnal self will still result as it is written:

"Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." Matt 15:14

The only way to avoid even so falling into the ditch is to be led by the Holy Spirit. This is one of those impossible things for any man, , but if we make the effort and we ask God for help, will He ignore our effort and our request?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." MAtt 7:7-8

But also...

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure that I would label having multiple wives a sin. That would be slapping pretty bad accusations on some pretty good guys like Abraham, Moses and etc.

However,
It isn't wrong to say that these multiple wives were "problematic" most of the time. Or even problem makers...(more trouble than I would ever want to deal with)

Sinful?

Not going to go there.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk did not say it was a sin. That was not his call, but we should be paying attention to what God says to us rather than trying to follow the example of men... even men of God. If we do not put first things first as God orders them, what should we expect from Him for ourselves? To desire even one wife could be a selfish thing. To desire more than one and then to pursue that desire is more likely to be a carnal selfish thing, is it not?

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself." Phil 2:3
Actually I can only conclude from Scripture that having more than one wife is not according to the mind of God.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I can only conclude from Scripture that having more than one wife is not according to the mind of God.
Taking that way is allowed by God as sin is allowed. Is it always and necessarily sin to choose such a way? It is not wise to choose our own way instead of God's preferred Way, but He has for His purpose allowed it. It was not wise for Adam and Eve to disobey God but it was allowed. Why does God allow what He does?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the intepretation of the great prophets more than yours. These great men have practiced polygamy and you say it is forbidden? Who are you? What is your title that you can talk like that? Are you greater than the prophets?

Where does the bible say: You shall not have more than one wife or You shall have only one wife?

You must be a muslim trolling Christian forums

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Insecurity also plays a huge role in relationships - if women do not feel beautiful to the person they are in a relationship with, it can lead to chronic jealousy, depression, anxiety, and a whole host of problems that erode the relationship. Insecure men may have trouble with intimacy, violence, and holding down meaningful employment. Both partners tend to displace their insecurity onto each other, which perpetuates and magnifies other issues present.

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The prophets of the Bible are my fathers and my teachers. And they practiced polygamy. And not once did God say to one of these prophets: "Wait! It is a sin to have more than one wife, so stop it or I will destroy you!" So if the prophets practiced polygamy, and God did not say anything bad about it, why should it be bad? Why should I believe the interpretation of strangers on the Internet more than the interpretation of the prophets?
But it gets even better: God even considered polygamy as something good. Why do I say this? Now pay attention:
In the first book of Samuel it is written that God gave David several wives for his faithfulness, and when David sinned by killing Uriah, God said: "If what I gave you had been too little, I would have given you more!"
So God uses Polygamy as a reward but you say it is bad? What kind of God do you believe in? In a God who rewards bad for good?
The Bible does not condemn polygamy at all. But when it becomes too much, like with Solomon, it is of course bad, because too much good can make you arrogant and sinful. Therefore one should not have too much gold and too many women.

Last edited:

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The Scriptures are clear that polygamy was, and still is today, a valid form of marriage. God nowhere condemns godly men for having more than one wife. Abraham had a wife, and then he married her maid (Genesis 16:2-4); Jacob married Leah and Rachel (Gen.29:23-30; 31:17; 32:22) and then he married Leah and Rachel's handmaids, Zilbah and Bilhahand (Genesis 30:1-24; 37:2); Judge Gideon had many wives and a concubine (Judges 8:30-31); Elkanah married Hannah and Peninnah (1 Sam.1:2); David married Abigail and Ahinoam (1 Sam.25:42-43; 30:18), then later took more wives (2 Sam.5:13) at Jerusalem (1 Chron.14:3); In 2 Sam.12:7-8, God gave David these multiple wives as a blessing, just as anointing him as king over Israel, protecting him from Saul, and giving him the house of Israel and Judah were also blessings from Him; King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:1-3); Ashur married Helah and Naarah (1 Chron.4:5); Shaharaim married Hushim and Baara (1 Chron.8:8); Abijah had 14 wives (2 Chron.13:21); Jehoiada the priest had 2 wives (2 Chron.24:3). Also, God never condemned ungodly men for having more than one wife either: Lamech (Gen.4:19), Esau (Gen.36:2,6), King Rehoboam had 18 wives (2 Chron.11:21); King Belshazzar had many wives (Dan.5:2-3). In addition, after war-time, many women would marry more than one man because of the shortage of men available due to there being killed (Isaiah 4:1).

Polygamy Is Not Sinful

sho

Oct 14, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@farouk @Prayer Warrior
"Polygamy violates 'the two shall be one flesh.'"

Neither God nor Moses saw any violation or contradiction of Genesis 2:24 to the law which not only allowed polygamy, but, as was seen earlier, in some cases commanded it. It would be strained exegesis to say that God, in Genesis 2:24, is establishing some kind of monogamous law that excludes, or somehow condemns, polygamy.

Exegetically and contextually, Jesus' point, in Matthew 19:4-6, when he cites Genesis 2:24, is the indissolubility of marriage, for He says, "Therefore, what God has joined together, let not man separate." The expression "one flesh," insofar as it relates to the structure of marriage, refers to the indissolubility of a man and his wife within a marriage, whether it be monogamous or polygamous. This was our Lord’s point in quoting the Genesis passage, and in no way condemns polygamy.

Now what about Saint Paul's expression 'one flesh'? Far from being a certain revelation concerning monogamy, the Pauline usage would illustrate, rather the broadness and flexibility of this Old Testament expression. For Paul, this unity in the 'flesh' is not confined to the conjugal union of one husband and one wife, nor is it limited to the bonds of kinship. Even a man who joins himself to a prostitute becomes 'one flesh' with her (1 Corinthians 6:16-17). This kind of unity is obviously not exclusive in the way that a monogamous union is supposed to be, for a man can become 'one flesh' with any number of prostitutes. According to this use of the expression, it would follow also that a man becomes 'one flesh' with more than one wife in a society which accepts this form of marriage. If a sinful prostitute can become "one flesh" with many men, then why would it be inconceivable that a godly man like David could have been "one flesh" with the wives God gave him?

Individually, each Christian that is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17). Just as another Christian’s union with Christ does not, in any way destroy the oneness of my union with Christ, so it is that a man may be one flesh with more than one wife. Christ knows, receives, and becomes one Spirit with His virgin(s) (Matt. 25:1-13).

It is important to recall that the real background to marriage in ancient Israel, the background against which the biblical passages on marriage are to be seen, was the larger community of the family and the clan. Marriage was not understood primarily in terms of the husband-wife relationship, and certainly not in terms of an exclusive relationship between only two persons. Marriage was regarded as a social instrument required for the preservation and continuation of families and clans. Through daughters being married into different families, there was a mutual strengthening of kinship bonds-each family giving its own flesh and blood to other families.

"Flesh" has a wider social or kinship meaning found frequently in the Old Testament (cf. Gen. 29:14; 37:27; Lev. 18:6; Judges 9:2; 2 Sam. 5:1; 19:12-13; Neh. 5:5; Isa. 58:7). 'One flesh', is not confined exclusively to only two persons. The several children of one mother are 'one flesh' with her, by reason of their unity in generation and in maternal love. The relationship between the mother and each child, respectively, may even be regarded as a union of 'two' in 'one flesh', without thereby excluding the other children from this same relationship with their mother. So, by reason of a socially valid polygamous marriage, a man may be conjugally united with each of his wives, respectively, as 'two' in 'one flesh'-both in a carnal sense and in terms of kinship.

Polygamy Is Not Sinful

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where I agree that polygamy is not a sin...

It definitely causes problems at home. I got trouble enough pleasing one wife...why in the world would I want two times the trouble?

The goal of marriage is children. Children were the ultimate blessing from God. (All life comes from God)

For the "good" husband it would be a good, positive legacy.
Security and retirement benefits into old age for the wives.
And a husband could sire more children than an average wife could produce.

So unless you are wanting a super sized family of 10+ children...and the financial burden they create. The jealousy and competition between various wives...(always a spat of some sort going on between kids, between moms, and dad with a different wife depending upon what mood she strikes)

Not something that I would ever want to be a part of.

I got more on my plate than I can handle now.

Reactions: historyb

Jaxxi

Oct 24, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. A woman who is so beautiful like a diamond but has a bad spirit.
or
2. A woman who has a spirit like a dove. A woman who serves YHWH.

I would take number one because I love beautiful women. It is bad to think so but my eyes and my heart become always weak if I see a woman who looks like pure gold.
If I would take the number two I would not know if I could keep the marriage.

That is too bad because number one was Lucifer in disguise and now you are burning in hel
1. A woman who is so beautiful like a diamond but has a bad spirit.
or
2. A woman who has a spirit like a dove. A woman who serves YHWH.

I would take number one because I love beautiful women. It is bad to think so but my eyes and my heart become always weak if I see a woman who looks like pure gold.
If I would take the number two I would not know if I could keep the marriage.

First of all- under what authority do you have to write the actual name of God because as humans we are sinful and not worthy to even look at that name let alone type it and

Secondly- That is too bad because number one will have turned out to be Lucifer and you just got deceived and might go to hell. Apparently you are amongst the many who have a shallow mind and lack depth and substance. I thought this forum was for Christians?

Reactions: Darkhorse