Who ARE "the prophets" in Ephesians 2:20?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much value do you give to Church Tradition as weighed against a strict adherence to scripture,
or even a more open approach like we see in the contemporary church? Like Hillsong, for instance. (scandals aside)
Older is better.

I bristle at the term Church Tradition, which to me denotes things in the church which were NOT original to the New-Testament-era church; things added later by emperors and popes and doctors-of-the-church, and by reformers and philosophers.

The phrase "strict adherence to Scripture" probably doesn't apply. I tend to start from Scripture, but I like to use history and archaeology and I read books from the Deuterocanon, Pseudepigrapha, and Early Church Fathers. I'm friendly to academic criticism of the Bible as well.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peculiar OP. "Apostle" just means a messenger sent by God. We capitalize names but not commissioned jobs. Just like we don't capitalize presidents in this sentence: "Can you list all the presidents of the USA?"
In Luke 10:1, the Lord sent out 70 apostles (messengers), two by two to the cities he was to visit. Then He said the laborers are few so pray that the Lord supply more. And he supplied thousands since then, all on the same mission.
Disciple means student. So when the student is ready and equipped, he is sent.
Certainly the original apostles had more notoriety.
Likely Billy Graham directly reached more souls than any of the original twelve apostles. Rienhard Bonnke preached to a crowd of a million and performed miracles as well and many priests/pastors, missionaries have been sent for the same purpose.
So apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers, etc., were just common folk empowered, eqipped and commissioned by God and sent out. We don't elevate them, we glorify Christ, he gets all the credit.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so, although I'll be quick to say that it's very rare. There isn't a prophet or apostle in every church, or even in every major city.
You know I think there may be some people who speak to the effect of prophecy but only in effect to encourage, that comes by and through the holy spirit, and the spirit of Christ within a person, and people are 'sent off' to bring forth light into a dark world, to talk to the living dead (spiritually yet to be born again), and let people choose their own path while you bring forth the revelation of Christ. All credit though goes back to Yahava, because it would the individual's choice to abide in Christ and bring forth that light of what is heavenly wisdom.

I suppose it would be subjective to that certain individual - however prophecy when it comes to prophecy of the Lord Jesus and his prophecies to a generation that has based away, some of those things just may not be for us today. Therefore you always have to be weary of "doomsday delusions." Professed prophecies that never come through to be true, would be lies. What do you think about these things?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peculiar OP. "Apostle" just means a messenger sent by God. We capitalize names but not commissioned jobs. Just like we don't capitalize presidents in this sentence: "Can you list all the presidents of the USA?"
In Luke 10:1, the Lord sent out 70 apostles (messengers), two by two to the cities he was to visit. Then He said the laborers are few wo pray that the Lord supply more. And he supplied thousands since then, all on the same mission.
Disciple means student. So when the student is ready and equipped, he is sent.
Certainly the original Apostles had more notoriety.
Likely Billy Graham directly reached more souls than any of the original twelve apostles. Rienhard Bonnke preached to a crowd of a million and performed miracles as well and many priests/pastors, missionaries have been sent for the same purpose.
So Apostles, prophets, evangelists, teachers, etc., were just common folk empowered, eqipped and commissioned by God and sent out. We don't elevate them, we glorify Christ, he gets all the credit.
Thanks for weighing in on this. Peculiar, yes.
Could you weigh in on the BIG question? Maybe you already have in your last sentence above.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so, although I'll be quick to say that it's very rare. There isn't a prophet or apostle in every church, or even in every major city.
The office of the foundation for the church died out with the passing away of the 12 apostles.

Also the last prophet was John who wrote the greatest prophetic book in Scripture as a Prophet and Apostle. Revelation by John.

No one can lay any other foundation other than what has been laid by them according to Ephesians 2:20- They are also referred to elsewhere as the 12 foundation stones. Revelation 21:14
:)

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose it would be subjective to that certain individual - however prophecy when it comes to prophecy of the Lord Jesus and his prophecies to a generation that has based away, some of those things just may not be for us today. Therefore you always have to be weary of "doomsday delusions." Professed prophecies that never come through to be true, would be lies. What do you think about these things?
There's a difference between someone prophesying, and someone being a Prophet. Anyone might prophesy on some occasion if God grants it - even a non-believer (Matt 7). Or a donkey. Chkl:

I cannot think of a single person I've ever encountered - or even heard of living in my lifetime - who claimed to hold the office of Prophet or Apostle, that I would deem as legitimate. As far as "doomsday" predictions go, they are generally a tip-off that the person isn't legit (they don't match Scripture).

I have met exactly one (1) person in my lifetime that I do think may have held the office of apostle. He did not claim to be. But his testimony was that he was converted when the risen Jesus personally appeared to him and told him to found a church in his home country (Nepal, I think?). Receiving a personal commission from Jesus to go somewhere and found a church... that looks an awful lot like the criteria to be an apostle. Anyway, the Buddhists there were trying to kill him. I think they may have been successful eventually.

-Jarrod

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New topic is gaining momentum. Check it out. (shameless self-promotion)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The office of the foundation for the church died out with the passing away of the 12 apostles.

Also the last prophet was John who wrote the greatest prophetic book in Scripture as a Prophet and Apostle. Revelation by John.

No one can lay any other foundation other than what has been laid by them according to Ephesians 2:20- They are also referred to elsewhere as the 12 foundation stones. Revelation 21:14
:)
I think Ephesians 2:20 covers that aspect of Jesus being "the chief cornerstone."
But what about these "apostles and prophets"? Would this be in reference to the OT Prophets?
My post #2 names several apostles and post #3 names several prophets from the NT.
What do you make of that?

"built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone." - Ephesians 2:20 NIV

Reactions: Hillsage

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for weighing in on this. Peculiar, yes.
Could you weigh in on the BIG question? Maybe you already have in your last sentence above.
Jesus is the foundation that was built on.

"built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone." - Ephesians 2:20 NIV

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Ephesians 2:20 covers that aspect of Jesus being "the chief cornerstone."
But what about these "apostles and prophets"? Would this be in reference to the OT Prophets?
My post #2 names several apostles and post #3 names several prophets from the NT.
What do you make of that?

EPH 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
To me this verse sounds like the "gifts" he gave to help fill the churches, were given AFTER he ascended. :My2c:

EPH 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Don't "the churches" plural, still need 'to become perfect'? Don't we still need all CHRISTIANS to minister? Doesn't the church of today need edifying in these perilous times? I'd say YES! on all three counts. We still need the input of all FIVE of those souls.

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

And these verses sound like ALL "the churches" are still in the Fundamental, Holiness, Pentecostal and Charismatic and FOUNATIONAL stages of spiritual maturity where they're all considered to just be BABES, even as chapter 5 in Hebrews speaks to, leading into Hebrews 6:1-2. And until we're walking in the fullness of those fundamental doctrines, the body can't even go on to "PERFECTION/MATURITY".

HEB 5:13 for every one who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a child.
14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their faculties trained by practice to distinguish good from evil.

And how do we get to the point where we are ready for SOLID FOOD and PERFECTION ?

HEB 6:1 Wherefore, having left the word of the beginning of the Christ, unto the perfection we may advance, not again a foundation laying of reformation from dead works, and of faith on God, 2 of the teaching of baptisms, of laying on also of hands, of rising again also of the dead, and of judgment age-during,

I recently heard a pastor say his "church was being ministered to by the FIVE-FOLD ministry gifts that Christ still gives." That caught my ear. And these are 'soulish talent gifts' given to certain individuals of His body on earth at conception IMO. This pastor then went on to say; "I am the 7th person to hold the mike today. And before me you also heard a prophet speak, as well as an evangelist, teacher and apostle."

His words stunned me. And 'my new spirit'...the born again holy spirit of Christ in me, spirit...bore witness to the truth of his words. I thought of course the FIVE-FOLD could work that way. The church has morphed for 1,500 years after growing for the first 200-300. Then the church of Rome destroyed the five-fold.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, but I still appreciate the freedom to hear other's opinions....that I disagree with. :hmhehm

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Who were "the prophets" in Ephesians 2:20?​

Folk who did their darnedest to get others to capitulate!

• Haha

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who were "the prophets" in Ephesians 2:20?​

Folk who did their darnedest to get others to capitulate!
LOL - That's funny. Whether intentionally, or not.
Do you take "prophets" to be a reference to New Testament prophets, or OT Prophets?
If OT Prophets, what foundation did they lay?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
LOL - That's funny. Whether intentionally, or not.
Do you take "prophets" to be a reference to New Testament prophets, or OT Prophets?
If OT Prophets, what foundation did they lay?
Old or New, it matters not.
No other foundation can be laid that that which is laid.....I read that somewhere. I think these motivated folk did the best they could with the information they had.
Ultimately, Jesus had to come and clarify heaps of misunderstandings and distortions.
Not persuaded most posting here trying to do the same would be as enthusiastic, especially if it came to giving ones life. A picture of rabbits on the run at the sound of a shotgun comes to mind!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ultimately, Jesus had to come and clarify heaps of misunderstandings and distortions.
The key text addresses the time after Jesus left us physically.

He is the cornerstone.
The foundation is built and ALIGNS (or should) from there. Right?

Your visual picture of scattering rabbits is interesting considering the intention seen in the context.
We must be held together somehow? - LOL

Ephesians 2:19-22 NIV
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers,
but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,
20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
21 In him the whole building is joined together
and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
22 And in him you too are being built together
to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

Reactions: Azim

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ephesians 2:19-22 NIV
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers,
but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,
20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
21 In him the whole building is joined together
and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
22 And in him you too are being built together
to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
yes, this is God's view of his children. Man however wants to make it conditional on their hoop jumping exercises....as many as one can invent. They want to trump God's definitive declaration in Jesus.