Who Done It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Immediately when bad things happen to good people the first thing that is said is, "God why did you do this to me?"

Always the enemy wants to blame God for what he did.

This started in the Garden of Eden when Adam encountered God after he had partaken of the tree when he stated God that woman you gave me..... and continues to today.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it does. I blame God for nothing...bad, I mean.
I always look at me.

Reactions: gregg

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I alsways look at Job when I think of this kind of thing, his stoicism after all that happened to him is a geat example to us.

As for why these things happen, well there all part and parcel of living in a fallen world. You see while the spirit of aChristian is saved from eternal fire and misery in the pits of hell, while we are alive we still live by the alws of the physical world we live in. Bad things don't just happen to good people they happen to bad people too, though less often.

Or perhaps God tests Christians like he tested Job.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
I alsways look at Job when I think of this kind of thing, his stoicism after all that happened to him is a geat example to us.

As for why these things happen, well there all part and parcel of living in a fallen world. You see while the spirit of aChristian is saved from eternal fire and misery in the pits of hell, while we are alive we still live by the alws of the physical world we live in. Bad things don't just happen to good people they happen to bad people too, though less often.

Or perhaps God tests Christians like he tested Job.

This is an interesting thought here. Now think about how many times Job falsely accuses God for doing what the devil did to him.

Have you ever thought about the fact that Job's sins opened the door to the devil just like our sins open the door to him as well?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm....didin't God allow the Devil to torment Job? Isn't God culpable?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
This is an interesting thought here. Now think about how many times Job falsely accuses God for doing what the devil did to him.

Have you ever thought about the fact that Job's sins opened the door to the devil just like our sins open the door to him as well?

How did Job accuse God?

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Umm....didin't God allow the Devil to torment Job? Isn't God culpable?

Ummm Satan got to Job just like he gets to you and me becase of his Sin. That was the reason that Job was in the mess he was in.

How did Job accuse God?

If you read chapters 1 through 31 you will find that he falsely accused God something like 74 times of doing something to him that God did not do.

If I accuse you of doing something that obviously you did not do is that not a false accusation?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A satan challenged God - he bet God that he could make Job turn against him and instead of God saying you shouldn't tempt the Lord your God - He took him up on it. As a result, Job lost everything. Once again, this is not a story about ethics - it is a story about faith and sovereignty.

Peace

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
A satan challenged God - he bet God that he could make Job turn against him and instead of God saying you shouldn't tempt the Lord your God - He took him up on it. As a result, Job lost everything. Once again, this is not a story about ethics - it is a story about faith and sovereignty.

Peace

The same accuser of the brethren was before God that is before God in Revelation. He is the same accuser of the brethren that wishes to destroy you and I. For what 28 chapters from Chapter 4 through 31 you read where about all Job does is accuse God for his misfortune. The devil is the one that caused him the problems.

Is it not a sin to falsely accuse God.

Read Job from that viewpoint and it is a very good study.

Just like many people teach that Elihu was a false prophet. Truth is he is the only one that God did not require to repent.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
religusnut - you seem to be unable to see God culpability in this story if it is read as a treatise on morality. Did Hitler kill one Jewish person? Did Manson murder anyone? If you read Job like a morality tale, you have to face the fact that God allows an evil entity to torment his faithful follower. If you read the story as a tale about faith in the face of pain and loss and God's sovereignty, however - it provides a meaningful story that can help us when we are facing trials of our own.

Peace

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
religusnut - you seem to be unable to see God culpability in this story if it is read as a treatise on morality. Did Hitler kill one Jewish person? Did Manson murder anyone? If you read Job like a morality tale, you have to face the fact that God allows an evil entity to torment his faithful follower. If you read the story as a tale about faith in the face of pain and loss and God's sovereignty, however - it provides a meaningful story that can help us when we are facing trials of our own.

Peace

Nope problems come from the enemy. The thief that steals, kills, and destroys..... He accesses us through sin. Jod sinned just like we do. It says he was a man just like we are....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are ignoring the challenge the satan gave to God.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010

Peace

To blame God is a sin. I do fail to see blame against God. He is blameless. The enemy always wants us to blame God for what he does. Always has and always will.

Fact how do you determine he was just a faithful follower? Personally when I face a trial I look to see who my friends and enemies are. Then I blame the trial on my enemy and find my peace with my friends. In this case Job's troubles came from the enemy the devil and when he finally repented for his accusations and ramblings God restored him.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To blame God is a sin. I do fail to see blame against God. He is blameless. The enemy always wants us to blame God for what he does. Always has and always will.

Fact how do you determine he was just a faithful follower? Personally when I face a trial I look to see who my friends and enemies are. Then I blame the trial on my enemy and find my peace with my friends. In this case Job's troubles came from the enemy the devil and when he finally repented for his accusations and ramblings God restored him.

So how do you expect to retain any credibility?

I used to have a friend who was a Lakers fan. We would watch games over at his house - there was one rule - all fouls called in the games were because of the other team - even the ones that the Lakers committed - the fact is that in my friend's mind, it was impossible for the Lakers to commit a foul - and if you disagree you were a trader and needed to leave. Now, I thought he was just being a loyal fan, but today, I am really not so sure - I think he was incapable of seeing it any other way.

God does not need his creation to 'blame the devil' for Him! God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient and totally Good - therefore, when stories in the Bible appear to cast Him in a less than perfect light - we are not supposed to just look the other way - we are supposed to find the real point of the story. In Job, the author of the story was trying to show us that God is in charge of everything - he even went as far as to say that God was in charge off the evil that befell Job. It was not a story of God's ethics - just His sovereignty.

Now, back to Job - I am not advocating blaming God. However, if you choose to interpret this story as a story about morality, God is culpable. Knowing God's character, this cannot be a story about morality or ethics - it has to be a story about faith and God's sovereignty.

Peace

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
So how do you expect to retain any credibility?

I used to have a friend who was a Lakers fan. We would watch games over at his house - there was one rule - all fouls called in the games were because of the other team - even the ones that the Lakers committed - the fact is that in my friend's mind, it was impossible for the Lakers to commit a foul - and if you disagree you were a trader and needed to leave. Now, I thought he was just being a loyal fan, but today, I am really not so sure - I think he was incapable of seeing it any other way.

God does not need his creation to 'blame the devil' for Him! God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient and totally Good - therefore, when stories in the Bible appear to cast Him in a less than perfect light - we are not supposed to just look the other way - we are supposed to find the real point of the story. In Job, the author of the story was trying to show us that God is in charge of everything - he even went as far as to say that God was in charge off the evil that befell Job. It was not a story of God's ethics - just His sovereignty.

Now, back to Job - I am not advocating blaming God. However, if you choose to interpret this story as a story about morality, God is culpable. Knowing God's character, this cannot be a story about morality or ethics - it has to be a story about faith and God's sovereignty.

Peace

I guess that it all goes back to the fact of one either wanting to walk in the meat of the word or the milk of the word. Very seldom is there anybody that does.

To walk in the meat requires that one know the difference between good and evil. If one blames God instead of the devil for what the devil is doing then he does not know how to separate the two.

Another interesting thing about the ball game and God is that God is not capable of evil the basket ball team is capable of fouling.

As for the fact of knowing the character of God if one wishes to attribute evil to him then I question them knowing His character.

Every PERFET gift comes down from the Father.

Sorry we might be talking about two different Gods.

There are many people that have many gods that use the Bible as their point of reference.

If it is good and perfect it comes from God if it is not it comes from the devil. That is not rocket science.

I'll bank my credibility on God and His Word and His love any day rather than the devil that comes to steal kill and destroy.... Just sayin.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that it all goes back to the fact of one either wanting to walk in the meat of the word or the milk of the word. Very seldom is there anybody that does.

So because I refuse to leave my brain at the door......and ignore the fact that God allowed a satan to torment His faithful servant on a bet......and instead look for a deeper meaning in the story like God's sovereignty and the faithfulness of His servant Job (Job is obviously faithful because he remains in relationship with God even though he lost everything without explanation except for God's sovereignty); I am guilty of still consuming the milk of of the word.....? Somehow I doubt Paul was talking about this situation - seems to me cheapening God's character by reading the story as a morality tale and conveniently blaming satan when God allowed him access to Job is a surface reading of the scripture.

To walk in the meat requires that one know the difference between good and evil. If one blames God instead of the devil for what the devil is doing then he does not know how to separate the two.

Actually, we were never created to know good and evil. We were created to love. We have to rely solely on God for our morality - that is why it is important that we understand God's character. Stories like Job cannot be about morality because we know God would never gamble with a satan at our expense - it is not in His character. If He did, He would cease to be moral and consequently, cease to be Good - of course that is impossible. Therefore, the point of stories like Job include God's sovereignty, which He made clear to Job at the end of the book and Job's faithfulness. If you believe I am blaming God for what happened to Job, at this point in the conversation - you have missed my point completely. I cannot blame God because I do not believe this is a story about morality - but if it was, I cannot pick who to blame based on who is the good guy and who is the bad guy, when it is obvious that the good guy is in charge of the bad guy and lets him torment Job.

Another interesting thing about the ball game and God is that God is not capable of evil the basket ball team is capable of fouling.

So if it appears that God is culpable - you simply refuse to recognize it. The problem with this method is that it is anti-intellectual - it presumes that we cannot trust the Bible because we have to overlook parts of it or pretend that they didn't happen. And worst of all, it allows us to blame others when they refuse to follow the same mental gymnastics required to share our strained interpretation. When I recognize that God appears culpable, I conclude that the point of the story must be found elsewhere, based on what I know about God's character. The similarity between your thinking about God and my friend's mindset regarding the Lakers is found in the lack of reasoning; you are both picking your winner without regard to the facts.

As for the fact of knowing the character of God if one wishes to attribute evil to him then I question them knowing His character.

Me too. That is why it is important to realize the point of the story of Job, which is not morality, but sovereignty and faithfulness. We learn nothing about morality in this story - we do learn a lot about God's sovereignty and Job's response to God's sovereignty, which is faithfulness.

Every PERFECT gift comes down from the Father.

God is the source of all grace.

Sorry we might be talking about two different Gods.

Right, because your God is right and mine is wrong........the funny thing about this conversation is that you are refusing to recognize my point, just like you are failing to see that God allowed a satan to torment Job on a bet! Makes sense, if you deny the ramifications of what happened in the book of Job if read as a morality tale, why would you interpret my post any differently.

There are many people that have many gods that use the Bible as their point of reference.

Well, I guess I am in good company then.

If it is good and perfect it comes from God if it is not it comes from the devil. That is not rocket science.

If God is all powerful and the satan is His servant - a created being - he has to be under the direction of God. If he is under the direction of God, he cannot do anything without God's permission. If he cannot do anything without God's permission, God had to allow him to torment Job. Therefore, Job was right to say that God allowed the satan (it was not Satan) to torment him. How is that a sin? Job is recognizing God's sovereignty - something you are refusing to do. The point of the story is that God is all powerful and we need to realize this and remain faithful.

I'll bank my credibility on God and His Word and His love any day rather than the devil that comes to steal kill and destroy.... Just sayin.

And I will take the message of the story of Job - God's sovereignty - and remember that in times of trial that God is in charge of everything so I need not worry - I will pray to remain faithful to Him in the face of adversity just like His servant Job.

Peace