Who is a “Christian”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Then why did Jesus “takeaway the first so he could establish the second”. Heb 10
And that second covenant that HE established came after his death. Heb 9:15-17
People in the Old Testament were looking for a messiah and they got it wrong. They were looking for a king. But when he came they didn’t even recognize him because he didn’t fit their description.
Lk 24 and acts 11 states that pentecost was “THE BEGINNING”.
The gospel... that God would provide a Lamb for an offering...has been the saving grace message since the garden of Eden. The covenants haven't changed that basic underpinning message of love, merely confirmed God's part in the promises. That Israel failed to honour their side of the agreement didn't change the gospel, it just changed the means by which it was implemented.

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Christian?

Someone who obeys God. Someone who gives their life to Christ. A person who follows or adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Someone who deny's themselves and the flesh daily and forsakes the world. Someone who doesn't compromise their doctrine 2 appease the world. Someone who tells the truth despite what the world says. And someone who doesn't criticise other members on here, use aggressive language and then claim 2 be a Christian in other words a (hypocrite).

Reactions: amadeus

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian?

Someone who obeys God. Someone who gives their life to Christ. A person who follows or adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Someone who deny's themselves and the flesh daily and forsakes the world. Someone who doesn't compromise their doctrine 2 appease the world. Someone who tells the truth despite what the world says. And someone who doesn't criticise other members on here, use aggressive language and then claim 2 be a Christian in other words a (hypocrite).
Let’s put this to the test! What did you do to become a “Christian”?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This word “called” carries a divine meaning. It is the idea that this is a name given by inspiration and not that man just came up with it here in Antioch.
It came from God!
And is it any coincidence that this is right after gentiles had been given the gospel.
Some believe it to be a term of derision given by their enemies but that is not likely the case.
One explanation is as good as the other as their is no concrete evidence either way.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
And are you one appointed by God to test others with regard to their walk with Him?
The Pharisees tested Christ, but he didn't walk away from it. It doesn't really matter who is doing the testing or whether they have an engraved invitation from God himself. All things work to the glory of God. If one is ready to be tested, they're tested for God. If one needs to shirk or slink away without being tested, let them do it for God

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Pharisees tested Christ, but he didn't walk away from it. It doesn't really matter who is doing the testing or whether they have an engraved invitation from God himself. All things work to the glory of God. If one is ready to be tested, they're tested for God. If one needs to shirk or slink away without being tested, let them do it for God
Yes, they tested Him, but...

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!" Matt 18:7

And satan also tempted Him but ...

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:7

"All things work to the glory of God": While this one could true we want to be certain that we are working on and for His right hand [where the sheep are] rather than on and for His left hand [where the goats are]:

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

And also consider this:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:7

False dichotomy: We're not testing the Lord your God to find out what he did to become a Christian

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False dichotomy: We're not testing the Lord your God to find out what he did to become a Christian
When you tempt one of His who is walking in Him, you certainly are testing the Lord our God.

The way you worded your response, do you not consider Him your Lord?

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
When you tempt one of His who is walking in Him, you certainly are testing the Lord our God.

The way you worded your response, do you not consider Him your Lord?

As I pointed out earlier, it doesn't really matter who is doing the testing. Testing is a Given. What matters is who is being tested. Those who accept the test like Christ, or those who don't.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I pointed out earlier, it doesn't really matter who is doing the testing. Testing is a Given. What matters is who is being tested. Those who accept the test like Christ, or those who don't.
Nonsense!
Give God the glory!

Reactions: Philip James

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And are you one appointed by God to test others with regard to their walk with Him?
They said that a Christian is one who “obeys God”. God has told us what one must do to become a Christian. So I’m curious if they have “obeyed God”.
See, this is what people do. They make all kind of claims but never back it up through scripture or action. It’s just a lovely opinion piece that anybody can post that really means nothing.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not make ignorant comments like this!!
Great! Make a post saying that a Christian is someone who obeys God. I ask you a basic question to see if you live up to your own post and you won’t answer. Typical. Everybody just wants their own form of “Christianity”. But, that’s not what we find in the NT. It was a “common salvation”. Common faith. Everybody did the exact same thing in order to become a child of God.
So, I’ll have to conclude by your answer that you didn’t obey God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They said that a Christian is one who “obeys God”. God has told us what one must do to become a Christian.
There is NO verse in the scriptures saying that God told us such things regarding being a "Christian". The word "Christian" appears in the written KJV Bible only three times and none of them relate directly to your hearsay.

So I’m curious if they have “obeyed God”.
And if they choose NOT to satisfy your curiosity, when it is only curiosity, don't be surprised.

See, this is what people do. They make all kind of claims but never back it up through scripture or action. It’s just a lovely opinion piece that anybody can post that really means nothing.

So don't listen to those who speak for themselves alone. With "ears to hear" you would hear, would you not?

His sheep with "ears to hear" hear His voice even when it speaks through people.

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." John 10:4

"And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." Mark 4:9

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is NO verse in the scriptures saying that God told us such things regarding being a "Christian". The word "Christian" appears in the written KJV Bible only three times and none of them relate directly to your hearsay.
You’re right. There isn’t one verse stating such there are MANY verses stating such. Starting with...
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved
And
Unless you are born of water and the spirit you shall not enter the kingdom.

And if they choose NOT to satisfy your curiosity, when it is only curiosity, don't be surprised.
I know they won’t answer. That’s what “Christians” do. They want their own “Christianity” and are offended when they are asked to provide Bible for what they did or believe.

2 Corinthians 13:5-6 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
It was Paul that said....we shall examine and prove ourselves.
How would they know they weren’t reprobates? Because they could prove that they were in THE FAITH not A faith. There is only one faith. Not many.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re right. There isn’t one verse stating such there are MANY verses stating such. Starting with...
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved
And
Unless you are born of water and the spirit you shall not enter the kingdom.

You were the one talking about "Christians". As I said the word, Christian, appears only three times in the Bible and in none of those appearances does the scripture say what you say it does. You mentioned or paraphrased ome other verses about "believers", but those verses do not use the word, Christian, at all. Is every one labeled with the word, Christian, a believer, and vice versa. You are trying to show something by the scriptures without connecting all of the dots. We live by faith so there may really be some gaps in our understanding. You, apparently, are something other than a Christian or than a follower of Christ or a believer in God and His Son. You really cannot discredit God's message with your logic even though you don't believe it. There are many of us here who do.

I know they won’t answer. That’s what “Christians” do. They want their own “Christianity” and are offended when they are asked to provide Bible for what they did or believe.

Generalizing to include all bearing that label, Christian, in your presumptions is not how things are. Not every believer has everything right according to God, and not everyone who really believes is on the same level in their walk with God.

As to providing, as you call it, Bible is not a necessity. What is necessary is that person continues to grow while he still has time. The only accounting required is NOT to you nor to me, but in the end of the matter, to God. You are not Him.

2 Corinthians 13:5-6 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
It was Paul that said....we shall examine and prove ourselves.
How would they know they weren’t reprobates? Because they could prove that they were in THE FAITH not A faith. There is only one faith. Not many.
Who says that many of them are not indeed examining themselves and proving themselves... just because you are unable to see it and they might be refusing to show you what they are doing? Your spirit of inquiry is NOT God's Spirit, so you could not recognize what they are or what they are not in any case. It is God's business.

Reactions: DoveSpirit05

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I look at the thief on the cross,,, what did he do to get saved

Hello Not me,

He did three things:
He confessed his own unrighteousnes
He confessed that Jesus is the Son of God
He asked Jesus for mercy...

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!

Reactions: Not me

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that second covenant that HE established came after his death. Heb 9:15-17

Hello CNKW3,

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!

Last edited:

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Not me,

He did three things:
He confessed his own unrighteousnes
He confessed that Jesus is the Son of God
He asked Jesus for mercy...

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!

Absolutely, so true. All the elements necessary for Salvation.

I see both faith and works in there too. For the faith of his heart (faith) caused him to turn (work) to Christ.

Blessings in Christ, Not me