Who is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Bs"d

Who is the God of Israel? The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?

Christianity is very confused about this. A confusion also caused by bad Bible translations. In almost all translations the four lettered name of God, Y-H-W-H, which appears in the Hebrew Bible almost 7000 times, is not mentioned, but replaced by "the LORD".

But here are some Biblical texts which point out WHO is the God of Israel. In these verses the letters of the name of God are written, like in the original Hebrew.

Exodus 29:46 “They will know that I am Y-H-W-H their God, who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them. I am Y-H-W-H their God.”

Numbers 15:41 “I am Y-H-W-H your God, who brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am Y-H-W-H your God.”

Deuteronomy 10:20-21 “Fear Y-H-W-H your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.”

Joshua 24:18 “We too will serve Y-H-W-H , because he is our God.”

II Samuel 22:32 “For who is God besides Y-H-W-H ?”

I Chronicles 16:14 “He is Y-H-W-H our God; his judgments are in all the earth”

II Chronicles 13:10 “As for us, Y-H-W-H is our God, and we have not forsaken him”

Psalm 31:14 “But I trust in you, O Y-H-W-H; I say, "You are my God.”

Psalm 89:6 “For who in the skies above can compare with Y-H-W-H? Who is like Y-H-W-H among the heavenly beings?”

Psalm 91:2 “I will say of Y-H-W-H , "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Psalm 100:3 “Know that Y-H-W-H is God. It is he who made us.”

Psalm 105:7 “He is Y-H-W-H our God; his judgments are in all the earth;”

Psalm 118:27 “Y-H-W-H is God, and he has made his light shine upon us.”

Psalm 140:6 “O Y-H-W-H, I say to you, "You are my God”

Isaiah 25:1 “O Y-H-W-H, you are my God.”

Isaiah 41:13 “For I am Y-H-W-H , your God;”

Isaiah 43:3 “For I am Y-H-W-H , your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;”

Isaiah 51:15 “For I am Y-H-W-H your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar- Y-H-W-H Almighty is his name”

Jeremiah 3:22-23 “Yes, we will come to you, for you are Y-H-W-H our God”

Jeremiah 10:10 “But Y-H-W-H is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King.;”

Jeremiah 31:18 “Restore me, and I will return, because you are Y-H-W-H my God.”

Habakkuk 1:12 “O Y-H-W-H, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, we will not die.”

And is there, except for this God Y-H-W-H, any other god?

Deuteronomy 4:35 “You were shown these things so that you might know that Y-H-W-H is God; besides him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39 “Acknowledge and take to heart this day that Y-H-W-H is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

II Samuel 7:22 “How great you are, O Sovereign Y-H-W-H! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.”

I Kings 8:60 “so that all the peoples of the earth may know that Y-H-W-H is God and that there is no other.”

I Chronicles 17:20 “There is no one like you, O Y-H-W-H, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.”

II Chronicles 6:14 “O Y-H-W-H, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth.”

Nehemiah 9:6 “You alone are Y-H-W-H.”

Isaiah 45:21-23 “You are my witnesses," declares Y-H-W-H, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me."

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Isaiah 45:5-6 “I am Y-H-W-H , and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me."

Isaiah 45:21-23 “Declare what is to be, present it- let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, Y-H-W-H? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.”

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Exodus 20:1-3 “And God spoke all these words: "I am Y-H-W-H your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Christianity is very confused about this. A confusion also caused by bad Bible translations. In almost all translations the four lettered name of God, Y-H-W-H, which appears in the Hebrew Bible almost 7000 times, is not mentioned, but replaced by "the LORD".

I agree with you that there are contextual errors in the various language translations which impact the understanding of people with respect to "God."

In Genesis 12:1-3 it is translated that Abraham was to go to a "land" that He would show him, but the reality is that God promised the whole earth that He would show to Abraham. It is the understanding that the "Promised Land" described in Genesis 15:17ff is a forever promise, where the Hebrew word that is translated as "forever," actually has a finite context and not and infinite context that is the tradition of the Jewish scholars, from long ago.

Contextual consistency is important in our understanding of the Scriptures. For instance, God's prophetic word for when He will gather the Israelite to Himself is that He will plant them in "soil" where they are able to draw nutrient from that fertile soil while God Himself will teach them on the religion, metaphorical described as a "mountain" in the scriptures, where they, the Israelites, will be living scattered besides the rivers in the valleys and ravines throughout the whole world.

The fulness of the Gentile's trampling God's Sanctuary and His Earthly Hosts has not reached the conclusion of the prophesied 2,300 years yet, but when the time period of this prophecy is completed, the Kings of the Earth will be gathered just a short distance from Jerusalem and there they will be judged for the suffering that the Gentile Kings during this present time has inflicted upon God's Sanctuary and His earthly Hosts scattered throughout the whole earth. At the same time God will judge the beasts of the field for their part in the trampling of God's Sanctuary and His Earthly Hosts and together with the Gentile Kings of the earth they will be gathered together and imprisoned in the bottomless pit for many days, namely 1,000 years, to await the time of their punishment. AS Paul in Romans 11:25-26 tells us, that after the time of the Judgement of the Gentile Kings, that all of Israel will be saved.

Since the 9/11 event when three frog like spirits did signs and wonders for all of the earth to see, the Kings of the earth are being drawn to assemble at Armageddon to be judged.

The assembling of the kings of the earth at Armageddon is still some 20-25 years from now.

Now the context of God's prophetic words is important, however, what Name we Give to God is of lesser importance as it is our hearts response to God that will be considered the more important measure of our relationship with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

We should really consider what is really important to God and focus on that aspect of our relationship with God. Joshua really expressed where his focus would be for His household, and that they would worship God whole heartedly and put their trust in Him.

God will consider whether or not our whole trust is with Him.

The question that you have raised for me in this thread is where your complete trust in God is focused.

Shalom

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

But here are some Biblical texts which point out WHO is the God of Israel. In these verses the letters of the name of God are written, like in the original Hebrew.

Exodus 29:46 “They will know that I am Y-H-W-H their God, who brought them out of Egypt so that I might dwell among them. I am Y-H-W-H their God.”

Numbers 15:41 “I am Y-H-W-H your God, who brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am Y-H-W-H your God.”

Deuteronomy 10:20-21 “Fear Y-H-W-H your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name. He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.”

II Chronicles 13:10 “As for us, Y-H-W-H is our God, and we have not forsaken him”

Psalm 89:6 “For who in the skies above can compare with Y-H-W-H? Who is like Y-H-W-H among the heavenly beings?”

Psalm 91:2 “I will say of Y-H-W-H , "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Isaiah 51:15 “For I am Y-H-W-H your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar- Y-H-W-H Almighty is his name”

Jeremiah 10:10 “But Y-H-W-H is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King.;”

Habakkuk 1:12 “O Y-H-W-H, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, we will not die.”

Deuteronomy 4:35 “You were shown these things so that you might know that Y-H-W-H is God; besides him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39 “Acknowledge and take to heart this day that Y-H-W-H is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

II Samuel 7:22 “How great you are, O Sovereign Y-H-W-H! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.”

I Kings 8:60 “so that all the peoples of the earth may know that Y-H-W-H is God and that there is no other.”

I Chronicles 17:20 “There is no one like you, O Y-H-W-H, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.”

II Chronicles 6:14 “O Y-H-W-H, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth.”

Isaiah 45:21-23 “You are my witnesses," declares Y-H-W-H, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me."

Isaiah 44:6 “This is what Y-H-W-H says- Israel's King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Isaiah 45:5-6 “I am Y-H-W-H , and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me."

Isaiah 45:21-23 “Declare what is to be, present it- let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, Y-H-W-H? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.”

Joel 2:27 “Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am Y-H-W-H your God, and that there is no other;”

Exodus 20:1-3 “And God spoke all these words: "I am Y-H-W-H your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME.

The tetragrammaton is the personal name of the God of Israel; the messiah’s God.

Rabbi Reuben

Dec 20, 2023
NY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

בס״ד

Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers,
children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD,
they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.

Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more:
the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.

From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it;
but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed,
neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.

Your country is desolate, your cities are burned with fire: your land,
strangers devour it in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers.

And the daughter of Zion is left as a cottage in a vineyard,
as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city.

Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant,
we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.

Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God,
ye people of Gomorrah.

To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD:
I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts;
and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand,
to tread my courts?

Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me;
the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with;
it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me;
I am weary to bear them.

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea,
when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes;
cease to do evil;

Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless,
plead for the widow.

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:

But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword:
for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

It appears to me
the sword is coming your way very soon.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is the Jesus event?
You are unaware of it? God come to earth in our form (human) so that we could/ can unmistakably see his nature/ character.
It was such an affront to us as people we couldn't bear his generosity/ purity, so we murdered him but he was raised from the dead. He has promised to return and collect all who embrace his reality.

These things have all been foretold by the Hebrew Prophets.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are several errors within your statement.
Discerning error from truth.....hmmmmm.

We (those who trust in the resurrected Jesus) have been given the message of reconciliation. The message of a gracious God towards a crippled and rebellious humanity.
Jesus is the source/ manifestation of this reality.

It will, as all truth has/ is, been misrepresented, maligned and vilified by the reality and enemy of all that is good.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Bs"d

“My Father and your Father, my God and your God.” - Jesus of Nazareth

Rabbi Reuben

Dec 20, 2023
NY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You are unaware of it? God come to earth in our form (human) so that we could/ can unmistakably see his nature/ character.
It was such an affront to us as people we couldn't bear his generosity/ purity, so we murdered him but he was raised from the dead. He has promised to return and collect all who embrace his reality.

These things have all been foretold by the Hebrew Prophets.
Who is your God?

Rabbi Reuben

Dec 20, 2023
NY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes.

John 6:29 'Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.'
Check the context.
You obey him because you read in a book

this...
John 6:29 'Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.'

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah Rabbi, do you ever obey God's statutes and Laws.

How do you understand Exodus 20:4-6?

What idols do you still worship today?

Does not God in the Old Testament ask Israel to confess their idol worship as well as their fathers?

Just how perfect in the Law are you?