Who Is The "Root" We're Grafted Into?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He came once for sin. Calling Him the Redeemer doesn't change that, the Redeemer will come to Zion, Paul quotes that as yet to happen.

Much love!
He came once for sin and they again for what...? Stop it already you are making me laugh. It does make a real difference marks. I'm surprised because you are usually so picky for details and yet you are willing to give this real point of mine a pass, as if to say 'nothing to see here, run along.'

You cannot just gloss over the name or function of our Savior as performing redemption. He is called a Redeemer for a reason, to pay for and get back his property....his people. Do you really want me to press you for where Paul DOES NOT say he is yet to come to Zion and re-redeem ethnic Israel. I'll tell you what, I will not press you for this scripture this time.

Just let what I said sink in for a bit. No hurry....

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not know if any one has posted this yet, but who is saying “I am the root” in the following?
I, Jesus have sent My angel to testify these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.
Revelation 22:16

Good post. Thanks, Victory. I had to assent to Backlit that I think he won his case in a previous post, and it was by making the same argument.
Curious marks, are you sure that Yahshua was slated to be the Redeemer of mankind, TWICE? The act of redemption (as the Redeemer) was completed on the Cross for ethnic Israel and all other nations nearly 2000 years ago. And then as we know, only a remnant of ethnic Israel turned to Christ after his work of redemption. This was the covenant with ethnic Israel, and it was executed. Isaiah 59:20-21.

When Yahshua returns again he will never return as a Redeemer again, that would be nonsense. He will come as a Conqueror.
Just saying....

I know this was directed to Mark, APAK, but just to help you both along, the Greek word used there in the LXX is actually ῥυόμενος, which is consistently translated "Deliverer" in the NT. I think "Redeemer" is a bit of an unfortunate and misleading translation there.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm surprised that you don't recognize my simple adherence to Romans 11:25-27.

Much love!
I'm not surprised at all as to what scripture you would pull out. As always it seems, I have to play the role of revisionist and do most of the work to convince you to recheck your thinking. I place my bar for you low, only expecting more scripture without any support or explanation.

Romans 11: Verses 26 rehashes Isaiah 59:20 and it is of Paul's past and our past. Our Redeemer came once and only once for this role. Romans 11:verse 27 is the same as Isaiah 59:21 - the Covenant was fulfilled and was then being executed after the Cross, over generations.

Romans 11:25 is of both Paul's present and his future and of our the past. And this is the place of contention, obviously.

It is called a mystery for a reason, because it is not observed as an announced event with many witnesses and fanfare. It is a mystery because it is done in secret, passively and silently.

When all the nations of a specific generation in Paul's future and our past, knows of Christ and are being saved per verse 25, all the nations then have come in (to Christ) and thus mysteriously, to us, 'all' of ethnic Israel have also been saved. This is the mystery! Nothing so spectacular as your meaning.

And Paul wanted to reassure his listeners that 'all' Israel will be saved by this mystery process over generations within the 'Christianized' nations they lived in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post. Thanks, Victory. I had to assent to Backlit that I think he won his case in a previous post, and it was by making the same argument.

I know this was directed to Mark, APAK, but just to help you both along, the Greek word used there in the LXX is actually ῥυόμενος, which is consistently translated "Deliverer" in the NT. I think "Redeemer" is a bit of an unfortunate and misleading translation there.
HIH: that really does not change anything as it essentially has the same connotation for this subject. This is why Paul recited Isaiah to ensure the listener understood it meant deliverance in just payment, to God, for his people through Christ's sacrifice.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He came once for sin. Calling Him the Redeemer doesn't change that, the Redeemer will come to Zion, Paul quotes that as yet to happen.
There is a very good reason as to why Christ is called the Deliverer of Zion (Jerusalem) in Romans: (1) He will literally stand on the Mount of Olives (which will then split in two) and then deliver Jerusalem and Israel from the Antichrist and his army and (2) after that He will deliver 1/3rd of all Jews worldwide from their sin and unbelief. They will look upon Him whom they pierced, repent, and be converted. That is all spelled out in Romans 11, yet there are naysayers who refuse to believe that God has a plan for redeemed and restored Israel alongside one for the Church.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
there were several "branches" of Judaism at the time; the Essenes, the Sadducees, the Pharisees.
And Nazarites/Nazirites
Nazirite - Wikipedia

Amo 2:10-12 Also I brought you up from the land of Egypt, and led you forty years through the wilderness, to possess the land of the Amorite. (11) And I raised up of your sons for prophets, and of your young men for Nazarites. Is it not even thus, O you children of Israel? says the LORD. (12) But you gave the Nazarites wine to drink; and commanded the prophets, saying, Prophesy not.

I believe the olive tree is pre-Israel, being God's blessings, as promised to Abraham who is described as the father of all them that believe, etc.

Romans 4:11-12,

Gal 3:29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him... back to your thread title....I used to think the 'root' was the Christ, however I'm now favoring Abram and the promise given to him of a great nation and along with the patriarchs. The root and start of the Hebraic promise/covenant/contract as the root and the source (legal basis) of life for all of the future sons of God's family.....benefitting on this tree..

I will add to it later...getting late for me...

great subject by the way...

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH: that really does not change anything as it essentially has the same connotation for this subject. This is why Paul recited Isaiah to ensure the listener understood it meant deliverance in just payment, to God, for his people through Christ's sacrifice.

Think I'll have to disagree. If it were just the verse itself you might have an argument. But the surrounding context is of "all Israel being saved," and for Futurists this phrase is referring to the nation of Israel being delivered from utter destruction, i.e. before they are completely annihilated by the Antichrist and his armies (Matthew 24:22).

The term "Redeemer" however would carry a different connotation, and suggest Isaiah was referring back to Christ's sacrifice on man's behalf, to redeem them from sin and the kingdom of darkness. But I admit the Isaiah 59 verse could be taken in a couple of different ways.
@Hidden In Him... back to your thread title....I used to think the 'root' was the Christ, however I'm now favoring Abram and the promise given to him of a great nation and along with the patriarchs. The root and start of the Hebraic promise/covenant/contract as the root and the source (legal basis) of life for all of the future sons of God's family.....benefitting on this tree..

I will add to it later...getting late for me...

great subject by the way...

I'd like to see it. I would like to lean in the direction of Israel and his children, as it presents some interesting implications. But atm I would have to lean to the root being Christ.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Excellent. I do believe that verse wins the case.

Since I have you in this discussion, then, what is the Historicist position on Chapter 11:16-28 (particularly v.25-26)?

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump also; and if the root is holy, so the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree? 25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, and He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob; 27 For this is My covenant with them, when I take away their sins.” 28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. (Romans 11:16-28)
Historicism as far as I am aware, has no concrete position on this because it hasn't taken place yet. Historicists have a sure and certain basis for their hermeneutic regards prophecy...we use scriptures such as Mark 13:29; Luke 21:28,31; John 13:19; John 14:29. We can be certain about history as it meets the prophetic specifics. This is precisely how e come to understand assuredly the identification of the Papacy and its Popes as the Antichrist. We don't know what God has in store for the actual nation of Israel. We have no ambivalence toward preaching the gospel to Jews. On an individual basis, God has not abandoned them. The Jews of today are not responsible for their fathers' sins, although they most certainly bear no small amount of burden for having been born of that heritage. They certainly suffer as a result of being the children of Israel. This is I believe a direct result of the curses of Deuteronomy, and is simply an integral part of the nature of sin, whether it be Jew or Greek.
Ex. 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

What historicists use in order to evaluate the future, such as the mark of the beast and the nature of Babylon the Great etc, is the past. History repeats. Will all Israel be saved? Absolutely. Of course, the holy Spirit through the apostle declares it to be so. The question which remains however, is Paul referring to an entire nation of ethnic Jews, or a spiritual as Peter said, a 'nation' made up of Jew and Gentile...aka, the church?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

not to take anything away for Christ as being the root…but could the root also be known as Grace? Or even Merciful? There is a verse warning to not let the root of bitterness come up in the heart. Or ‘the root of corruption’ speaking of what the root yields? Isaiah 5:24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Matthew seems to refer to every tree bringing no good fruit forth will be cut down …only two trees I can think of in the garden: the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. And the Tree of Life. Yet ‘after its kind’ more trees come up?

when referring to what a root bears with its branches and fruit…trees yield something yea? “You will know them by their fruits”? Which makes me think of ‘that they may be trees of righteousness’ planted of the Lord. I’m sorry because I know that probably only is a lot of confusion but the point is while (Imo) the root is Christ. Yet is it multi-layered because there is also the root of corruption which He has no part of?

From Revelation 22:16 He says He is the root.
similar to when they asked “we do not know the way, show us the way.” He said “I am the way, the truth and the Life.” Even further “I am the bread” “I am the living water

so when He says “I am the root” …”take on My yoke, learn of Me.” I’m not arguing He is not the root…no more than would I argue Him as not being the living water, the bread, or the way. I’m only suggesting what He yielded? every thing about Him pointing to ‘the way’ ‘the Life’ as a path unto the Father. ‘if any have not the Spirit of Christ then he is none of His.’? Concerning Grace which again is not to take away from Christ because He is full of Grace…but ‘be you established in Grace’ sounds like planted…or to take root? “Abide in Me and I in you?”

Luke 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

Other versions don’t say root but instead ‘having not much soil’ either way …only for a while they endure but in time of temptation they fall away. Offended, not established in Grace? Significant (Imo) to the topic at hand …in planted, root, soil and strengthened to “endure”: a combination of: a heart, what is received into the heart, and what takes root…is there depth…seed, root? For new shoots or growth to spring up out from ‘alive unto God to bring forth fruit’.

Random thoughts I realize but consider Grace…(Imo) Grace, and the pointing towards being planted or established in Grace which at the same time testifies of the Son Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. [9] Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established (planted, rooted?) with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.
Colossians 4:5-6 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. [6] Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question which remains however, is Paul referring to an entire nation of ethnic Jews, or a spiritual as Peter said, a 'nation' made up of Jew and Gentile...aka, the church?

Ok, just curious.
not to take anything away for Christ as being the root…but could the root also be known as Grace? Or even Merciful? There is a verse warning to not let the root of bitterness come up in the heart. Or ‘the root of corruption’ speaking of what the root yields? Isaiah 5:24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Yeah, that's a totally different use of the terminology there, Victory. I read through some of your other thoughts, but they are all kinda plagued by the same mistake here IMO: Applying terms or words used in one context into a different one can be a mistake if the second context is completely foreign to the first. I'd say pray about things when you study, and ask the Holy Spirit to help you distinguish between which uses would have bearing on your subject matter at hand and which would not.

God bless, and hope you have a great day today!
- H

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting point. The same word was used in Matthew 6:13. I can quite understand how Christ can be our Redeemer through the Atonement, but I see Him as our Deliverer at the end, rescuing His bride from the surrounding nations bent on her destruction.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think I'll have to disagree. If it were just the verse itself you might have an argument. But the surrounding context is of "all Israel being saved," and for Futurists this phrase is referring to the nation of Israel being delivered from utter destruction, i.e. before they are completely annihilated by the Antichrist and his armies (Matthew 24:22).

The term "Redeemer" however would carry a different connotation, and suggest Isaiah was referring back to Christ's sacrifice on man's behalf, to redeem them from sin and the kingdom of darkness. But I admit the Isaiah 59 verse could be taken in a couple of different ways.

I'd like to see it. I would like to lean in the direction of Israel and his children, as it presents some interesting implications. But atm I would have to lean to the root being Christ.
Well disagreements there will be of course. And again, I am the revisionist doing all the work and explaining the truth of the matter as I know it to be.

I just do not seriously think your theory as a 'Futurist' as with others that hold your same view can arbitrary pick and choose scripture or parts of it as verses or expressions within them and attempt to redefine their meaning to suit and force fit them into a fanciful future event theory stretched out beyond our time. It just does not work that way. You have to show your work in a very methodical way that is very convincing. And this passing grade has never been achieved IMO. They just cannot explain it, only to state their theory ad nauseum, by pointing out specific scripture they theorize supports it. It never get past that point.

And you said, "But the surrounding context is of "all Israel being saved," and for Futurists this phrase is referring to the nation of Israel..."

What is the surrounding context that supports your meaning here? Point it out to me because you have not explained it yet. And a satisfactory explanation cannot be said in one or two sentences, believe me.

The expression that Paul used in Romans 11:26 "...all Israel will be saved." means just that, 'all' (limited in scope of course) true believers as Paul was one, part of the remnant of his ancestry, and from the many other nations that believed. As I restate from before, Paul was part of the 'all' as he spoke to his audience. Others of his ethnic origin were also coming to Christ, after he 'came from Zion' to deliver/redeem them FIRST. And now other nations were also coming to Christ as Paul pointed out very clearly. And, until 'all' when all the nations have experienced Christ.

Both ethnic Israelites and other nations that do come to Christ as ONE Israel in spirit are the fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham. There is where I also get the root of the tree, sourced from it.

There is no NEW theorized nation of ethic Israel in Pauls' words. He would think this would be strange, insane and incredible thinking. He knew his descendants would be few and are far between in the future. He knew what the olive tree meant when Jesus cursed it. He knew what the prediction by Christ of the physical destruction of the Temple and Jerusalem meant. He knew it meant his blood-line people were meant to vanish as an extinct species, although not in spirit, of Christ. He tearfully and regrettably, and he knew was justified, resigned himself to knowing the fate of his people going forward. That was the punch line he was giving to his audience.

Physical Israel is dead, Spiritual Israel, of both the nations and the remnant of his people is alive and well....Amen!!
He knew that all Israel meant All believers in Christ, period. Not some mythical resurrected physical nation of Israel in the future. That theory or as fact is definitely not in the Bible.

A little history of your theory is required...it was a deviously spawned idea from the start

This theory that you hold as with others was first influenced and then conceived about 500 years ago by religious writers and scholars of the Khazarian Jew extraction, not true ethnic Israel, as these, the latter, became nearly extinct many centuries ago as I already eluded to. They were either assimilated in the other nations, or killed off many centuries ago. There were easily over 1 million that were either killed or became slaves by Rome in 70 AD. It was done by design per scripture as you may read.

And this theory of yours and others also helped support and develop the Zionist theory and political movement we know today. It has been a real burden to say the least.

Anyway, back to this Futurist theory of yours. It was quickly then absorbed and heavily supported by the new 'Christian' Zionists of the writers of the Bible and political forces in the 1600s and on, of the dream of a future separate reconverted (some kind of Israel people, because they are not of the ethnic extract for sure) of Israel. These new Christian sympathizers were duped into really serving the fake self-styles Jews that originated from around the North and Eastern parts of the Black Sea. These are the ones that mostly inhabit the political State of Israel today and other places around the globe.

And since especially the late 18th century this Futurist theory has gained notable traction with no sight of abatement.

As another note: These same Khazarian scholars and writers and their 'Christian' sympathizers of the Bible who heavily influenced the translations of the Bible also deliberately altered the meaning of the Hebrew word Goy or Goyim and the Greek word Ethno(s) in many places.

They found a useful name (symbol) to deliberately separate and divide themselves from all the 'other nations' as they always thought of themselves, since their en-masse Jewish conversion around 700-800 AD, and origin as a tribe of Phalanx worshippers, as being superior to any other nation, as the Pharisees saw themselves as the same.

By providing a new and useful name for 'the nations' or 'people' or 'tribes' they substituted in the Latinized English word 'gentiles' or even worse 'gentile' singular, in many places. This word should never be in English Bible.

They hijacked the original intent of the Latin would gens to gentile for one of non-Roman citizenry to force it to mean a non-ethnic Jew or a no-ethnic Israelite. And the Hebrew Goy or Goyim or Greek Ethnos never means a single person. They not only added in the words gentile or gentiles to discredit the other nations, they also changed other words to mean gentile or gentiles...eg. 'Hellen' means a Greek person...they redefined it as a gentile in many places. They even used the word heathen for a person of another nation....I hope you see my point here...

These self-styles Jews of no ethnic Israel ancestry, hijacked the original intent and meaning of the Latinized word gentile(s) for a non-Roman citizen, to a new deceitful meaning - as the word 'gay' was similarly hijacked by militant homosexuals some 50 years ago.....

Have a great week...APAK

PS here's some scripture that speaks to Christ the redeemer and deliver in context of how it is used in Isaiah 59:25 and what Paul also meant.

Psalms 14:7, 50:2, 53:6; 2 Kings 19:30-31; Isaiah 37:32.
A 'band of survivors' indeed, as Paul was also saying

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting point. The same word was used in Matthew 6:13. I can quite understand how Christ can be our Redeemer through the Atonement, but I see Him as our Deliverer at the end, rescuing His bride from the surrounding nations bent on her destruction.
Stop kidding yourself mate.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Stop kidding yourself mate.
Oh? You think God don't rescue us or protect us from the coming death sentence that is too be passed upon all the dissenters to Babylon's ultimatum?
KJV Revelation 13:15-17
15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Or do you think running and hiding in the bush will be sufficient to escape the combined efforts of the madness of the nations who unite to destroy you?
KJV Matthew 24:9
9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

Reactions: Cassandra

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we will disagree, you hold to the standard teachings of John N. Darby & C.I. Scofield in Dispensationalism's (Dual Covenant Theology) in (Two Peoples Of God) Israel/Church, found no place in scripture, a teaching in error

There is "One Covenant" between God and man, the shed blood upon Calvary in salvation, those that obtain this salvation through faith become (The Church)

I rejected Darby and Dispensationalism back in about 1972, and was not even raised up in that system! ;)

I'm strongly opposed to Darby's system, although there are some elements of it that I also strongly agree with. The main problem I've had in sharing my own system is the rejection, by most today, that the Church actually includes "nations." This is often thought to be a corrupt form of statism, in which the Church is confused with the State, or a corrupt form of theocracy.

But I believe that the Church consists of those who profess Christ, regardless of their ultimate destination, heaven or hell. The Church consists of those *today* who profess Christ, whether or not they continue in that faith.

As such, the Church consists of the many Christian *nations* who have existed in history, and may in a sense even include OT Israel, before the actual "Church" was founded.

Being that Israel is not presently part of the Church I would not include national Israel today in the Church international. But being that I believe Israel will ultimately accept Christ, as a nation, I believe we can indeed include Israel, theoretically, in the future Church.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This theory that you hold as with others was first influenced and then conceived about 500 years ago by religious writers and scholars of the Khazarian Jew extraction, not true ethnic Israel

Too many jumps. But let me start with the above.

You write as if you have read through the Futurist position multiple times and are well familiar with it, but I don't know precisely what you do with certain texts, so I will give you the heart of the case as I would present it. Firstly, the following was written in the early-to-late 70s A.D., which is well earlier than 500 years ago.

And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it. Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, He finished in six days. This implies that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifies, saying, Behold, today will be as a thousand years. Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. And He rested on the seventh day. This means: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. (Epistle of Barnabas, Chapter 15)

The Jewish calendar is not like ours, and according to their calendar we have not yet reached the six thousandth year. I believe there is something like 140 left maybe? (I'd have to go back and check). Anyway, this passage establishes that the early church after 70 A.D. was clearly NOT expecting the consummation of all things at that time. The return was now expected WELL into the future, more than two thousand years into the future in fact.
And you said, "But the surrounding context is of "all Israel being saved," and for Futurists this phrase is referring to the nation of Israel..."

What is the surrounding context that supports your meaning here?

Ok, I wil try.

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump also; and if the root is holy, so the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree? 25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, and He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob; 27 For this is My covenant with them, when I take away their sins.” 28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. (Romans 11:16-28)

Now, the expression, "blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion" is in reference to the prophecies in Daniel that read as follows:

25 He shall speak pompous words against the Most High,
Shall persecute the saints of the Most High,
And shall intend to change times and law.
Then the saints shall be given into his hand
For a time and times and half a time.
26 ‘But the court shall be seated,
And they shall take away his dominion,
To consume and destroy it forever.
27 Then the kingdom and dominion,
And the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven,
shall be given to the people, the saints of the Most High.
His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
And all dominions shall serve and obey Him.’ (Daniel 7:25-27)

This is what Jesus was referring to in the following prophecies:

15 “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), 16 “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened. (Matthew 24:15-22)

The references here to Judea and the Sabbath suggest this is a reference to literal Israel rather than a spiritualized form. This is the essence of the Futurist position, and the lens through which the phrase "all Israel shall be saved" is interpreted. National Israel is the Tree, and believing spiritual Israel (the Gentiles) are the branches that were "grafted in." That fulness of the Gentiles has not yet fully "come in," but when it does the prophecies concerning national Israel will be fulfilled. The Antichrist (a Muslim) will break his covenant with the nation of Israel after three and a half years, turn on them, and try to exterminate them, but the survivors will be chased into the wilderness where they will be protected by the Lord until His return in power. But it will be those who receive Him as Savior who are Delivered at His return, and hence "All Israel (i.e the nation) will be saved."

I suppose that's the heart of it. Give me your reading of the Romans 11 passage (particularly v.25-27), and I will examine it as best I can. I can't say as I understand your perspective on it yet.

Have a great afternoon, and thanks for the discussion.

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh? You think God don't rescue us or protect us from the coming death sentence that is too be passed upon all the dissenters to Babylon's ultimatum?
KJV Revelation 13:15-17
15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Or do you think running and hiding in the bush will be sufficient to escape the combined efforts of the madness of the nations who unite to destroy you?
KJV Matthew 24:9
9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

'We' started or I did anyway, with later having to defend the meanings of Redemption and Deliverance as used by Paul in Romans and Isaiah, as having the same intended meaning. And then you attempt to bring in the Lord's prayer in the mix to say it has this same exact meaning. You must know contexts are quite different and therefore the meaning are also quite different..

'Deliver(ing) us from evil' is the ongoing battle within us and and from the world. We are always defended SPITUALLY against evil in our daily lives as believers. However I cannot count on my physical life deliverance though. It is God's will not mine.

Quite a different definition of deliverance would you not say in what Paul was referring to about paying for, with his death on the Cross. To thus release a nation of his ancestors from prison, bondage of the chains of darkness, as was for all the nations, to then enable all, their salvation as a nation and nations or peoples.

And now you bring up Rev 13... out of the blue. and then you think I'm hiding or running.....??? from what? It is mystifying.

As you must know, I made a comment because you were entertaining and trying to squeeze in the very same meaning of deliverance as used previously with its usage in the Lord's prayer. That was it. And I said stop kidding yourself....

So I ask you, what am I supposed to be running or hiding from? There must be something else that is bugging you..?

And you ask me "You think God don't rescue us or protect us from the coming death sentence that is too be passed upon all the dissenters to Babylon's ultimatum?"

If that is really your question to me, less your emotion outcry, my answer to you is, it is God's will, not mine to save my own physical life, as I already know I'm saved for the next life already! I will lay it down if I am told to do so. I believe this with all my heart.

As you know we cannot run away from physical death Bro..

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You write as if you have read through the Futurist position multiple times and are well familiar with it, but I don't know precisely what you do with certain texts, so I will give you the heart of the case as I would present it. Firstly, the following was written in the early-to-late 70s A.D., which is well earlier than 500 years ago.

I would like this that there is ample proof the futurist position was not a recent concept in the church.
The O antiphons are one of the oldest known Hymns in the church, dating back to the fourth century AD if not the Apostolic church (That is the Oldest written version we have from the fourth century). We Today know this as the Hymn "O Come O come Emmanuel", a Christmas song. The Lyrics dwell specifically on the future redemption of the nation of Israel, as follows:

1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
    And ransom captive Israel
    That mourns in lonely exile here
    Until the Son of God appear.
    • Refrain:
      Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
      Shall come to thee, O Israel.
  2. O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
    Who orders all things mightily;
    To us the path of knowledge show,
    And teach us in its ways to go.
  3. O come, Thou Branch of Jesse’s stem,
    Unto Thine own and rescue them!
    From depths of hell Thy people save,
    And give them vict’ry o’er the grave.
  4. O come, Thou Key of David, come
    And open wide our heav’nly home;
    Make safe for us the heav’nward road,
    And bar the way to death’s abode.
  5. O come, Thou Bright and Morning Star,
    And bring us comfort from afar!
    Dispel the shadows of the night
    And turn our darkness into light.
  6. O come, Desire of nations, bind
    In one the hearts of all mankind;
    Bid all our sad divisions cease,
    And be Thyself our King of Peace.

That third antiphon in the modern hymn above is also translated as "root" as pertaining to the topic of this post, as shown here from the wiki page on the O Antiphons.

O radix Jesse[edit]
Latin:

O radix Jesse, qui stas in signum populorum,
super quem continebunt reges os suum,
quem Gentes deprecabuntur:
veni ad liberandum nos, jam noli tardare.

English:

O Root of Jesse, standing as a sign among the peoples;
before you kings will shut their mouths,
to you the nations will make their prayer:
Come and deliver us, and delay no longer.

O Antiphons - Wikipedia

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
    And ransom captive Israel
    That mourns in lonely exile here
    Until the Son of God appear.
    • Refrain:
      Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
      Shall come to thee, O Israel.
  2. O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
    Who orders all things mightily;
    To us the path of knowledge show,
    And teach us in its ways to go.
  3. O come, Thou Branch of Jesse’s stem,
    Unto Thine own and rescue them!
    From depths of hell Thy people save,
    And give them vict’ry o’er the grave.
  4. O come, Thou Key of David, come
    And open wide our heav’nly home;
    Make safe for us the heav’nward road,
    And bar the way to death’s abode.
  5. O come, Thou Bright and Morning Star,
    And bring us comfort from afar!
    Dispel the shadows of the night
    And turn our darkness into light.
  6. O come, Desire of nations, bind
    In one the hearts of all mankind;
    Bid all our sad divisions cease,
    And be Thyself our King of Peace.

Wonderful find!

And it appears there is no way around acknowledging this is about the nation of Israel. "Rescue them" is juxtaposed against "bring us comfort." Reference to their exile at the present time is also made, meaning they held to the hope of Israel's restoration at His return.