Who's believing who?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Have you people had enough of believing? How do you think you're going to get out of this global mess? Believe something fresh? I wouldn't advise that, but what do I know.

This is simple. Destroy your personal beliefs, or your beliefs will destroy you.

Niblo

Jul 16, 2021
Leeds
Faith
Muslim
Country
United Kingdom
Have you people had enough of believing? How do you think you're going to get out of this global mess? Believe something fresh? I wouldn't advise that, but what do I know.

This is simple. Destroy your personal beliefs, or your beliefs will destroy you.
And this would be your personal belief?

• Love
Reactions: Pearl and Cassandra

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Do you think you’re going to get out of this global mess? If so, how?

Beliefs can change (and in that sense old beliefs are destroyed) but new beliefs modify or replace the old.

Good to see you posting again. How’ve you been?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
And this would be your personal belief?
Why would I believe that beliefs are the fundamental issue that's polarising our society. I think we can agree that from the perspective of the true believer; no one can understand what the truth is if their beliefs are outside that true believers perspective. In defence of my theory about beliefs, I don't treat any beliefs I might form in the same regard as the true believer.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Do you think you’re going to get out of this global mess? If so, how?

Beliefs can change (and in that sense old beliefs are destroyed) but new beliefs modify or replace the old.

Good to see you posting again. How’ve you been?
I am stuck here until death do I depart.

Also. Beliefs don't change, not for the better anyway, they suffer mutational effects. Beliefs create an insulation against our fear of not knowing something. Yes. Fear is a warning that we lack some crucial piece of information and we need to learn correctly; or we may fall into an assumption (A belief)

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would I believe that beliefs are the fundamental issue that's polarising our society. I think we can agree that from the perspective of the true believer; no one can understand what the truth is if their beliefs are outside that true believers perspective. In defence of my theory about beliefs, I don't treat any beliefs I might form in the same regard as the true believer.
Which true believer? Of the billions who believe.......something. Even if they believe there is no such thing as god.

The power went out at the laundry mat today. Not for long but long enough for folks to start talking to one another about power outages.
And faith.

This guy made an interesting observation I think. It's about faith and morality.

Looking at all the mainstream religions today,and the others,one thing they almost all share is the proposed endeavor of undertaking faith so to become a better human.

Agreed.

How then do humans in any faith find themselves led to be better humans when they worship a god(s) that are immortal and immoral? Cannot and do not lead by example? And if human would be the worst of sinner?

Any God.Anywhere at all.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I am stuck here until death do I depart.

So then you have no solution to the problem you’re facing beyond riding it out, come what may, and drawing your last breath.

That is what you‘re offering your fellow man -> nothing but waiting hopelessly for the end.

Does that depress you?

How would it cause you to feel if someone were to accept your advice and become hopeless?

Also. Beliefs don't change, not for the better anyway, they suffer mutational effects. Beliefs create an insulation against our fear of not knowing something. Yes. Fear is a warning that we lack some crucial piece of information and we need to learn correctly; or we may fall into an assumption (A belief)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you sure?
Why would I stop?

On what basis do you believe that my beliefs are incorrect?

What do I get out of this global mess?
A richer and more full life than anyone else...even if I didn't get Heaven I would still choose this life for the freedom and richness to life that this set of beliefs brings.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Which true believer? Of the billions who believe.......something. Even if they believe there is no such thing as god.

The power went out at the laundry mat today. Not for long but long enough for folks to start talking to one another about power outages.
And faith.

This guy made an interesting observation I think. It's about faith and morality.

Looking at all the mainstream religions today,and the others,one thing they almost all share is the proposed endeavor of undertaking faith so to become a better human.

Agreed.

How then do humans in any faith find themselves led to be better humans when they worship a god(s) that are immortal and immoral? Cannot and do not lead by example? And if human would be the worst of sinner?

Any God.Anywhere at all.
If a belief becomes more important than the facts, then I'd answer yes. Any belief can hijack a persons mind to the point they refuse to accept the facts against what they believe.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
So then you have no solution to the problem you’re facing beyond riding it out, come what may, and drawing your last breath.

That is what you‘re offering your fellow man -> nothing but waiting hopelessly for the end.

Does that depress you?

How would it cause you to feel if someone were to accept your advice and become hopeless?
To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson at 1 minute in.

I say I have accomplished that :)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Are you sure?
Why would I stop?

On what basis do you believe that my beliefs are incorrect?

What do I get out of this global mess?
A richer and more full life than anyone else...even if I didn't get Heaven I would still choose this life for the freedom and richness to life that this set of beliefs brings.
Why do you think you have to believe? We take it for granted that believing is as normal as breathing, but how do we know that living by our beliefs was ever right?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you think you have to believe? We take it for granted that believing is as normal as breathing, but how do we know that living by our beliefs was ever right?
That would depend upon how you came upon your definition of the concept and word "good".

What is good?
What is good for society and the individual?

Some things seem good as in recreational drug use but the long term shows that these things are very detrimental to societies and individuals without exception.

Some things seem to be bad or very boring like monogamous couples. But again happy, stable households have been overwhelmingly proven to be the best environment for children.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
What victory have you scored for humanity? :)
I discovered that believing was the cause of schizophrenia. I no longer suffer schizophrenic delusions. Four year's and counting since I have needed anti-psychotic medication, and not one case for re-admittance due to psychosis.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That would depend upon how you came upon your definition of the concept and word "good".

What is good?
What is good for society and the individual?

Some things seem good as in recreational drug use but the long term shows that these things are very detrimental to societies and individuals without exception.

Some things seem to be bad or very boring like monogamous couples. But again happy, stable households have been overwhelmingly proven to be the best environment for children.
Good and evil is a very broad term, it can differ from person to person. Yet even worse is when people assume something to be good or evil on the basis of a belief. Why is society so fragmented into what people say now is tribe mentality? Could it be belief clusters?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You don't believe in loving someone. You just love someone through and through.

The New Testament speaks about four types of love (i.e. agape, phileo, storge and eros). I believe in love and exercise it as appropriate in any given circumstance.

Causing or encouraging hopelessness isn’t loving.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good and evil is a very broad term, it can differ from person to person. Yet even worse is when people assume something to be good or evil on the basis of a belief. Why is society so fragmented into what people say now is tribe mentality? Could it be belief clusters?
But....your dodging.

Truth is not relative...nor is good.

There must be a solid, hard line of "good" as well as "bad" or else societies crumble...we simply can't get along. No one can live in a vacuum. Even animals can get along well enough to live.

Even if you have a small group of "like minded" individuals that does not mean that their ideologies are good. History is absolutely full of ideological failures. Societies and empires have evaporated because their ideologies were massively flawed with "bad" ideas that completely destroyed them.

However,
There are ideologies that have withstood the test of time. The ONLY logical conclusion is that these ideologies are "good". Societies that adhere to them are the successful ones that are flourishing despite what anyone else thinks or says.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I discovered that believing was the cause of schizophrenia. I no longer suffer schizophrenic delusions. Four year's and counting since I have needed anti-psychotic medication, and not one case for re-admittance due to psychosis.
Who told you beliefs led to your schizophrenia?