Why are Bible scholars leaving Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Did the fish drown as well? - LOL

Right, since it was a flood, the fish probably survived.
For a death sentence, "Death by drowning." is probably the best a fish could hope for. - LOL

I wonder about salt water and fresh water fish though.
Would too salty kill the fresh water fish?
And would too fresh kill the salt water fish?
Seems that the things that live in the deep, deep, deep ocean might have not been effected at all.

I was looking at a map of the ocean floors and made a discovery.
The islands are mountaintops in the ocean. They rise from the ocean floor miles below.
Every continent/island sits on a shallow "plate". Like a protective shield.

My eyes were opened to something I would never have considered without someone invisible tapping me on the shoulder....
This is what was shown me....

What happened when the Jews in the Exodus walked into the Red Sea?
God HEAPED up the waters and left dry ground.

And, later, when Joshua and the Ark needed to cross over the Jordan river?
Once again God HEAPED up the waters, providing dry land to cross over with!

God could have simply prevented the fresh waters from mixing with the salt waters. Problem solved.

Nothing impossible with God 101.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I believed in Jesus (it was while reading a tract that was handed to me)..
I was a Jewish college student walking to my next class with that tract in hand.

I thought I was still Jewish for about ten years after that day.

All the while, I could not figure out why I had become so drastically changed within me. Even painfully so.

Regeneration never lets you to continue as you had been.
I've heard of that many times. It is called Mustard Seed faith. It is just as you described.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My eyes were opened to something I would never have considered without someone invisible tapping me on the shoulder....
This is what was shown me....
That has happened to me as well.
An audible voice was included at no extra cost.
Such a deal. - LOL

God could have simply prevented the fresh waters from mixing with the salt waters. Problem solved.
That actual happens now, as I understand it.
There are deep sea currents of concentrated salt water that do not mix with the less salinated water.

1694855348016.jpeg

Reactions: GeneZ

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see fish listed. Birds are listed. Hard to imagine ducks or geese drowning.
Genesis 7:19-21,24 (WEB):
(19) The waters rose very high on the earth. All the high mountains that were under the whole sky were covered.​
(20) The waters rose fifteen cubits higher, and the mountains were covered.​
(24) The waters flooded the earth one hundred fifty days.​

If the water was that deep, and for about 5 months, then I suspect that ducks would not be able to find enough food to survive. Besides, the Bible says (verse 21), "All flesh died that moved on the earth, including birds, livestock, animals", etc., so that includes ducks!

Agreed. But you can have the last word, my brother.
That vitally important point about ducks (Chkl:) will be my last word on that topic. :Agreed:

• Love

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has happened to me as well.
An audible voice was included at no extra cost.
Such a deal. - LOL

That actual happens now, as I understand it.
There are deep sea currents of concentrated salt water that do not mix with the less salinated water.

But, something else is being not seen by those who argue about Noah's flood.

Man was merely in his infancy.

Man had to be living close enough to Noah to be able to hear his warnings from God.

Most likely, man was living in only a small area.. maybe the size of some county.
It says that man was only beginning to multiply on the earth.

Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth,
and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters
of men, that they were beautiful; and they took for themselves of all whom
they chose." Genesis 1:1-2

Men were not becoming fathers (seen in the genealogies) until what we today would consider old age.
Population growth was slow!

The flood was designed with one thing in mind. To destroy evil mankind. Not the entire planet.

So, God heaped up the waters and contained the flood as to leave the rest of the earth alone.

In that way? Only animals that were indigenous to the habitat of where man lived were placed on the Ark.
Then it makes sense to see all the animals of the known world to men fit on one ark. For if all the species of
animals were to be saved from all around the world? Animals that did not live where man was living at that time?
Then Noah would have been commanded to build a huge fleet!

Its the understanding of how God can heap waters up high to contain waters as to leave dry land
helps us to better understand the Flood account according to God's intent for having it in the first place!

The flood was to destroy corrupted mankind. Not the entire planet where man had not been living!

grace and peace ...........

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took for themselves of all whom they chose." Genesis 1:1-2
Oops. That should referenced as Genesis 6:1-2

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, something else is being not seen by those who argue about Noah's flood.

Man was merely in his infancy.

Man had to be living close enough to Noah to be able to hear his warnings from God.

Most likely, man was living in only a small area.. maybe the size of some county.
It says that man was only beginning to multiply on the earth.

Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth,
and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters
of men, that they were beautiful; and they took for themselves of all whom
they chose." Genesis 1:1-2

Men were not becoming fathers (seen in the genealogies) until what we today would consider old age.
Population growth was slow!

The flood was designed with one thing in mind. To destroy evil mankind. Not the entire planet.

So, God heaped up the waters and contained the flood as to leave the rest of the earth alone.

In that way? Only animals that were indigenous to the habitat of where man lived were placed on the Ark.
Then it makes sense to see all the animals of the known world to men fit on one ark. For if all the species of
animals were to be saved from all around the world? Animals that did not live where man was living at that time?
Then Noah would have been commanded to build a huge fleet!

Its the understanding of how God can heap waters up high to contain waters as to leave dry land
helps us to better understand the Flood account according to God's intent for having it in the first place!

The flood was to destroy corrupted mankind. Not the entire planet where man had not been living!

grace and peace ...........
Those are interesting points.
I had always wondered why the Tigris and Euphrates rivers were not displaced in the flood.

What was the sign of the rainbow for? And why had it never been seen before?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
being His Christians Yes, not necessarily to be a part of Christian religion on earth
This is a contradiction. Christian are part of the Christian religion, they may not belong to any church organisation, but even as disobedient Christians they are both Christian and members of the Christian religion.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is not what the Scriptures say though:

Genesis 6:7 (WEB):
(7) Yahweh said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the surface of the ground—man, along with animals, creeping things, and birds of the sky—for I am sorry that I have made them.”​

Genesis 8:9 (WEB):

(9) but the dove found no place to rest her foot, and she returned into the ship to him, for the waters were on the surface of the whole earth. He put out his hand, and took her, and brought her to him into the ship.​

Genesis 8:17 (WEB):
(17) Bring out with you every living thing that is with you of all flesh, including birds, livestock, and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply on the earth.”​
Genesis 8:21 (WEB):
(21) Yahweh smelled the pleasant aroma. Yahweh said in his heart, “I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake because the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth. I will never again strike every living thing, as I have done.

Genesis 9:11,15 (WEB):
(11) I will establish my covenant with you: All flesh will not be cut off any more by the waters of the flood. There will never again be a flood to destroy the earth.”​

(15) I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh, and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.​

GeneZ

Aug 20, 2023
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not what the Scriptures say though:

Genesis 6:7 (WEB):
(7) Yahweh said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the surface of the ground—man, along with animals, creeping things, and birds of the sky—for I am sorry that I have made them.”​

Genesis 8:9 (WEB):

(9) but the dove found no place to rest her foot, and she returned into the ship to him, for the waters were on the surface of the whole earth. He put out his hand, and took her, and brought her to him into the ship.​

Genesis 8:17 (WEB):
(17) Bring out with you every living thing that is with you of all flesh, including birds, livestock, and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth, that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply on the earth.”​
Genesis 8:21 (WEB):
(21) Yahweh smelled the pleasant aroma. Yahweh said in his heart, “I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake because the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth. I will never again strike every living thing, as I have done.

Genesis 9:11,15 (WEB):
(11) I will establish my covenant with you: All flesh will not be cut off any more by the waters of the flood. There will never again be a flood to destroy the earth.”​

(15) I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh, and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.​

Genesis 11 reveals how certain words were being used back then.
The term "whole earth" meant the full extent of where man inhabited.

Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed
from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there." Genesis 11:1-2​

The whole earth according to how men thought back then was the plain of Shinar.
That was how the word "whole earth" was being used at that time.

So, Noah's flood was designed to destroy the area in which man was living.
And, keep in mind.
All men had to all be living close enough to Noah to hear about his preaching and warnings from God!

And did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness,
bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly." 2 Peter 2:5

grace and peace ....................

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now the whole earth had one language and one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed
from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar, and they dwelt there." Genesis 11:1-2​

So, Noah's flood was designed to destroy the area in which man was living.
And, keep in mind.
All men had to all be living close enough to Noah to hear about his preaching and warnings from God!

And did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness,
bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly." 2 Peter 2:5

grace and peace ....................

Yes.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain basis of your statement.
Not sure who you are asking.
The Tigris and Euphrates rivers were two of the four rivers coming out of the Garden (orchard) of Eden.
Why were they not displaced in the global flood?

Genesis 2:9-15 NIV
The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—
trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.
In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters.
11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold.
12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[a] and onyx are also there.)
13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[b]
14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur.
And the fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure who you are asking.
The Tigris and Euphrates rivers were two of the four rivers coming out of the Garden (orchard) of Eden.
Why were they not displaced in the global flood?

Genesis 2:9-15 NIV
The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—
trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.
In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters.
11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold.
12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[a] and onyx are also there.)
13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[b]
14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur.
And the fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
My question is.......why would the great flood have interfered with any river after it was over?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That's not what it says! The words were written by Moses, not by people living "back then" during the time being talked about.

It says that all the people on the earth spoke the same language. It then says that as some/all people travelled westward and they stopped and dwelt on a plane. That does not mean that people thought that the whole world was just a plane that they had just discovered! What do you think "whole earth" means 2 verses later? :

Genesis 11:4 (WEB):
(4) They said, “Come, let’s build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top reaches to the sky, and let’s make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad on the surface of the whole earth.”​