Why are Christians indulging in sin rather than overcoming?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that Christians are giving up at overcoming, they are drifting into evil addictions that destroy their connection with, and separate them from God. Rather than confess their sin they are tending to justify it in one way or another and become even more under its spell. We have this from Gods Word..
Revelation 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Yet, Christians seem to be digging in deeper into sin and iniquity and entrenching themselves even further, so what is happening. Well, the problem is our sinful, or carnal, nature, the propensity to sin which we has come down from Adam. Propensity to sin is a proneness or tendency to sin which every human being possesses. It is this nature that leads us to sin against God as scripture tells us
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Now many are confused as to what constitutes the first steps in the work of salvation, which is repentance. Many think that repentance is a work the sinner must do for himself in order that he may come to Christ and obtain grace. But while it is true that repentance must precede forgiveness, for it is only the broken and contrite heart that is acceptable to God, yet the sinner cannot bring himself to repentance, or prepare himself to come to Christ. The very first step to Christ is taken through the drawing of the Holy Spirit and as man responds to it, he advances toward Christ in order that he may repent. Peter clearly presented the fact that repentance is the gift of God through Christ in Acts 5:31.
Acts 5:31
Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Repentance is no less the gift of God than are pardon and justification, and it cannot be experienced except as it is given by Christ. So how do we come to repentance, the sinner must come to Jesus, just as he is, and believe that the word of Christ is true, and, believing the promise, he must pray and ask, that he may receive the gift. When sincere desire prompts men to pray, they will not pray in vain. The Lord will fulfill His word, and will give the Holy Spirit to lead to repentance and drawn to God and in faith, and not only believe in but obey the precepts of the law.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why are Christians indulging in sin rather than overcoming?​

In short, because Salvation comes in two parts.

When we became saved. only in our spiritual part were we saved, and NOT in our body. Hence, Jesus said: "I will raise him up on the last day."

The above concept is found in whole in Romans Chapter 7.

2I I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I hope this help.

To God Be The Glory

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why are Christians indulging in sin rather than overcoming?​

In short, because Salvation comes in two parts.

When we became saved. only in our spiritual part were we saved, and NOT in our body. Hence, Jesus said: "I will raise him up on the last day."

The above concept is found in whole in Romans Chapter 7.

2I I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I hope this help.

To God Be The Glory
So my 'spiritual parts' is saved, but I can still rob, steal, and do every sin imaginable and indulge in all iniquity as its just with my body? No I dont think that is what Christ teaches.

Revelation 2:26
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Revelation 3:12
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 3:21
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Revelation 21:7
He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So my 'spiritual parts' is saved, but I can still rob, steal, and do every sin imaginable and indulge in all iniquity as its just with my body? No I dont think that is what Christ teaches.

And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Amen. Let all that name the name of Jesus depart from iniquity!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Choice. I still sin sometimes. Best be honest before your maker about it.

Reactions: Gottservant

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes!
Heck yeah I do. Aint no christian on this earth perfectly perfected their flesh by no means. The flesh is still as sinful as the first day they where born into the world. The only one to boast in for me who helps me overcome myself is Jesus. Though sometimes i can say I fall short.

That is being authentic to protray as though one is perfect by all standards of the flesh; is to lie and live in a delusion. Not on person is righteous in their flesh at all. While they can do righteous and good things. Nothing good dwells within us until the light of God is turned on, and the flame is lit. Which that too can be extingushed.

Reactions: Hillsage

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Heck yeah I do. Aint no christian on this earth perfectly perfected their flesh by no means. The flesh is still as sinful as the first day they where born into the world. The only one to boast in for me who helps me overcome myself is Jesus. Though sometimes i can say I fall short.

That is being authentic to protray as though one is perfect by all standards of the flesh; is to lie and live in a delusion. Not on person is righteous in their flesh at all. While they can do righteous and good things. Nothing good dwells within us until the light of God is turned on, and the flame is lit. Which that too can be extingushed.
Oh Matthew, if only you understood how pathetic a shortfall the word 'sometimes' is!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I love how you belittle me. Why cant you just be fair?
What? you don't think 'sometimes' is a shortfall? Do you really think it is unfair? ......and you love it? Something doesn't add up!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What? you don't think 'sometimes' is a shortfall? Do you really think it is unfair? ......and you love it? Something doesn't add up!
You are just poking an prodding dude. Waste of time with me. Grow up.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be careful for people out there who act really holy and as though they are just completely pure of any bad thought or anything like that out here in the world. When they are alone, you never know what they may do, or when they are out of your sight…

As though they never do anything wrong, …

The only wrong thing that might do is speeding going down the road, or sneak a peak at a womans butt when she walks by…

Get real people, and be honest with God about what you do and that helps you stay humble before Yahava and others as you go along this life… its not about encouraging people to go and sin… its just about acknowledging…

Hey i do fail in this area or that area sometimes… some people will wanna make you feel as though you are inadequate…

When the truth is God still loves you and desire you to choose him.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People probably didnt know but

Arguing for arugings sake is a sin… its called dissension.

Now ya know.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lol. So you believeth that you can overcome all the Scripture passages you've referenced above?

Be realistic! Do you really think you can obey all of the above? Since Jesus uttered, "FOR WITHOUT ME, YOU CAN DO NOTHING!!!"

Not only that! read and listen to what Paul said about a saved person having two natures in Romans 7:14-25.

What a wonderful promise God gives us in vv. 24-25.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey i do fail in this area or that area sometimes… some people will wanna make you feel as though you are inadequate…

When the truth is God still loves you and desire you to choose him.
Well, you're not perfect after all. Lol.

As a refresher, I recommend you read Romans Chapter 7 I've mentioned prior to this post.

To God Be The Glory

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Choice. I still sin sometimes. Best be honest before your maker about it.
So I can steal from you or swindle you and say, well, it was my only sin this last few days, so its ok. I think you may have a problem with that..

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I can steal from you or swindle you and say, well, it was my only sin this last few days, so its ok. I think you may have a problem with that..
Its my choice. Its not good for you. In the end all it leads to is death. That is why its good to be honest with not only to yourself but towards Yahava. Even the prophets and kings of old show foreward their own doing.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its my choice. Its not good for you. In the end all it leads to is death. That is why its good to be honest with not only to yourself but towards Yahava. Even the prophets and kings of old show foreward their own doing.
So how would you read this verse...
Galatians 6:1-2
1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Reactions: amigo de christo