What was so sinful about tax collectors?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 3:

12 Some tax collectors came to be baptized. They asked him, “Teacher, what should we do?” 13 He told them, “Don’t collect more money than you are ordered to collect.”
Tax collectors were considered sinners because they were greedy. They extracted more money from the people than necessary to pay Rome. John baptized the tax collectors who repented of their sins.

Luke 7:28-31

I tell you, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John. Yet even the least person in the Kingdom of God is greater than he is!” When they heard this, all the people—even the tax collectors—agreed that God’s way was right, for they had been baptized by John. But the Pharisees and experts in religious law rejected God’s plan for them, for they had refused John’s baptism.
Tax collectors were singled out here to contrast the Pharisees. The former repented and were baptized by John; the latter didn't.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
And in addition to abusing their position, they were likely viewed as traitors by the people.

I wonder why the issue of the roman occupation was not addressed by Jesus.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 3:

Tax collectors were considered sinners because they were greedy. They extracted more money from the people than necessary to pay Rome. John baptized the tax collectors who repented of their sins.

Luke 7:28-31

Tax collectors were singled out here to contrast the Pharisees. The former repented and were baptized by John; the latter didn't.
Does this fit the weights and balance in OT
Lev 19:
35 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure.
36 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this fit the weights and balance in OT
Lev 19:
35 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in meteyard, in weight, or in measure.
36 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt.
Yes. The value of money in those days was based on weight.