Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um, roughly half of the pastors I talked to easily admitted that no one goes to heaven, Eternal is not Immortal, etc, even that Bible is not Word. I will confess that maybe 2 of the hundred or so had a plan to eventually bring their congregations to the knowledge, and seemed to be aware of the eventual consequences. This was like 30 years ago though, I imagine things have changed
The difference is "vocation" or "calling." Many climb the ladder without knowing the truth, just as it is for lots of other pursuits. They learned enough to pass the test of others who also got to where they are with little more than an "E" for effort.

But that just speaks of life in general. It is only a portion that are actually legit. Which in this case may just be a remnant or the smaller percentage of all that make the would be grade. Indeed, there are some who are legit, called by God.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is it bc we all seek immortality, Death More Abundantly, so single mindedly?
I used to interview pastors, and I found that even among those who had figured it out, to a man they stated that they could never preach it in their "church."
You've not shown you have any leg to stand on when the above statement by you, has nothing whatsoever to do with what the Bible teaches and yet you must think yourself to be more knowledgeable then the anonymous Pastors that you accuse? So, without backing up your statement with proof & showing yourself to be accurately dividing the word of truth ( 2Tim 2:15 ) it amounts to a case of bearing false witness against Pastors , when you yourself haven't given evidence for your statements and you have not shown that you have a good foundation in Christian theology or knowledge of sound doctrine.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I'm not saying that I think the men graduating from seminaries these days are all great, there are many heretics that call themselves Christians these days, & many seminaries teaching things that are not biblical , not to mention the many people who are popular authors but they promote unbiblical heretical teachings. I'm just saying I find it hard to accept that one that seems so confused about the meaning of scriptures is pointing fingers at Pastors , I'd probably think many of the ones getting pointing at are probably 100 correct on the sound doctrines.

Reactions: Enoch111

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm just saying I find it hard to accept that one that seems so confused about the meaning of scriptures is pointing fingers at Pastors
True. Bbyrd009 is generally confused about Bible truth. So there is no point pointing fingers at pastors.

Reactions: tzcho2
B

brakelite

Can a person brainwash themselves into believing they know how to properly interpret Scripture so that they come to the truth of Scripture?
Not a matter of brainwashing oneself at all. Its a matter of believing God's promise. John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Now does God keep His promises?

Reactions: Acolyte

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ordination has to do with the local church. Biblical knowledge is not always required. It can be if the church or group ordaining wants it to be. It certainly should be. But it not always is. A person can be ignorant in the Bible, yet the people so accepting of his preaching that they ordain him.

Stranger

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ordination has to do with the local church. Biblical knowledge is not always required. It can be if the church or group ordaining wants it to be. It certainly should be. But it not always is. A person can be ignorant in the Bible, yet the people so accepting of his preaching that they ordain him. Stranger
There's even a female minister of a united church, who doesn't believe in the Bible & is a confessed atheist, but she's been allowed to continue to preach, those that were Christian left it.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I'm not saying that I think the men graduating from seminaries these days are all great, there are many heretics that call themselves Christians these days, & many seminaries teaching things that are not biblical , not to mention the many people who are popular authors but they promote unbiblical heretical teachings. I'm just saying I find it hard to accept that one that seems so confused about the meaning of scriptures is pointing fingers at Pastors , I'd probably think many of the ones getting pointing at are probably 100 correct on the sound doctrines.
Which is the wiser man, and one probably more in God's will... one who is not certain if the shape of the world is round or oval (since it is really neither), or the man who is positive it is flat? Just because we may have convinced ourselves that we know all, does not make it so.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have never gone around asking the questions you apparently were asking but I visited many and usually had a better response from the small or "hole in the wall" church groups than from larger "better" organized groups. [This period of visiting ended for me more than 15 years ago.]

In the past few months now being loose from any real connection with one assembly, I have begun visiting places again. Some of them like the idea of getting an old man to attend their services regularly and treated me well. However the number of "hole in the wall" church groups has seemingly diminished from what it once was or perhaps my perspective has changed over the intervening years.

It seems that the mega-churches have eclipsed the small churches because younger Christians prefer the glitz and glamour of the mega-churches with their rock music and some even have pyrotechnics. I ask you, what do those extravaganzas have to do with the "still small voice" of God? While I believe that pastors should be paid a living wage, I think it offends God when famous mega-church pastors become multi-millionaires off the backs of Christians. Becoming a pastor of the Lord's flock is a sacred calling. It should not be a way to fleece the flock.

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It seems that the mega-churches have eclipsed the small churches because younger Christians prefer the glitz and glamour of the mega-churches with their rock music and some even have pyrotechnics. I ask you, what do those extravaganzas have to do with the "still small voice" of God? While I believe that pastors should be paid a living wage, I think it offends God when famous mega-church pastors become multi-millionaires off the backs of Christians. Becoming a pastor of the Lord's flock is a sacred calling. It should not be a way to fleece the flock.
It should all be about the Scriptures, and so often it is not...

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

You pose a very good question: Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

My spouse's father built his own church (literally) and started preaching his version of Scripture. I never met him. He passed before we were married.

At the church my spouse and I used to go to the assistant pastor disagreed with some of the teachings (interpretation of Scripture) of the head pastor. Sooooo the assistant pastor started his own church. Which one was truly ignorant of Scripture? They both accused the other.

Who decides if who is ignorant of Scripture? What criteria is used?

Love the subject.....thank you.

Mary

1 John 2:27 says: "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ." The truth is all there in Scripture and the Holy Spirit guides our understanding. We have an obligation (and the privilege that few had before the development of the printing press) to know the word of God so thoroughly that we can spot false teaching and we certainly should be able to spot false teachers by the way that they live.

Reactions: Enoch111

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It isn't so much being ignorant of scripture...a lot of people know chapter and verse quite thoroughly. But it's the comprehension of the bible that is lacking to an amazing degree. Most modern ministers are regurgitating what they have leaned from other people. Very few have any real connection to the God of mystery...and thereby ministering life. I maintain that the ministry of death is prevalent in our time. Of course no one would receive that ministry unless it provided a false sense of life. A future life. Something called eternal life...which is actually a kind of life that is entered into at the present time.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People are seeking a connection with God...an eternal kind of life. But people get pep talks and information. In order to impart life, one needs to speak from life. From faith to faith.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, they do fleece the flock, wolves in sheep's clothing, false teachers. These mega churches you describe are not preaching the gospel of Jesus, but the seed of faith or prosperity gospel. They are tickling people's ears and these people are giving to them generously in return. These are the apostate churches & popular spiritual movements that preach heretical teachings & false doctrines that are not leading people to salvation, but through the wide gate.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
True. Bbyrd009 is generally confused about Bible truth. So there is no point pointing fingers at pastors.
their prophets have all gone a whoring, long time ago, and there is not a single 501c3 pastor I know that would admit the definition of Eternal in congregation. Nor ever, ever ever, Quote John 3:13 nor 1 Timothy 6:16 et al around any witnesses. Nor would I expect them to. Daughters

y'all have a nice day

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But it's the comprehension of the bible that is lacking to an amazing degree.
I guess if one is in denial then their comprehension will take a hit, ya

the heir is under servants until he inherits, even though he is the master of all
daughters of Jerusalem, do not find love until you are ready

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It is only a portion that are actually legit. Which in this case may just be a remnant or the smaller percentage of all that make the would be grade. Indeed, there are some who are legit, called by God.
I'd settle for one, got a link? I'd be looking for "Eternal = eon," "only One Immortal," "no one goes to heaven after literal death," etc. A complete disregard for tomorrow or Death More Abundantly iow

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'm just noticing that "homospiritual," which I thought I had made up, has already been appropriated, so I don't mean homospiritual like they mean it, hope that's clear