Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It's not anywhere near what those scriptures are saying.
Sorry, what's not anywhere near them? And I feel compelled to point out that this generally starts immediately in my experience, so if you would you might reply in complete sentences here for a sec, and I will too ok.

Not saying you will do it but generally speaking the next post cannot be made to make sense by anyone, and when that comment is made the poster suddenly gets really busy somewhere else or maybe dies, dunno

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd settle for one, got a link? I'd be looking for "Eternal = eon," "only One Immortal," "no one goes to heaven after literal death," etc. A complete disregard for tomorrow or Death More Abundantly iow
Sounds like a deli order.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha well that was shorthand, I got vv if you prefer
Vasovagal?

All kidding aside, we don't get to choose to have things our way. Is that not how you came up with that list?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that the mega-churches have eclipsed the small churches because younger Christians prefer the glitz and glamour of the mega-churches with their rock music and some even have pyrotechnics. I ask you, what do those extravaganzas have to do with the "still small voice" of God? While I believe that pastors should be paid a living wage, I think it offends God when famous mega-church pastors become multi-millionaires off the backs of Christians. Becoming a pastor of the Lord's flock is a sacred calling. It should not be a way to fleece the flock.
Yes, God has certainly called people to be ministers as per Eph 4:11. but some misuse the calling pursuing their own glory rather than God's purpose. Others who perhaps never had a calling from God to minister act as if they did in order to receive the material benefits they desire.

Reactions: Acolyte

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's even a female minister of a united church, who doesn't believe in the Bible & is a confessed atheist, but she's been allowed to continue to preach, those that were Christian left it.

Indeed. Ordination means nothing. Who is doing the ordaining and their criteria does.

Stranger

Reactions: tzcho2

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree, they do fleece the flock, wolves in sheep's clothing, false teachers. These mega churches you describe are not preaching the gospel of Jesus, but the seed of faith or prosperity gospel. They are tickling people's ears and these people are giving to them generously in return. These are the apostate churches & popular spiritual movements that preach heretical teachings & false doctrines that are not leading people to salvation, but through the wide gate.

I have heard horrible examples of how bad some of those preachers are. Creflo Dollar (a perfect name for a prosperity-gospel preacher, eh?) spent $73 million (I believe that was the figure) of his contributors' money on a large private jet (so he wouldn't have to ride on a commercial flight in what he called a "tube of demons"). Jesus felt comfortable among tax collectors and prostitutes--at least one of which He delivered from demons.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No, God is the Potter, not us. We are the clay.

That would explain why you have not found what you are looking for.
Ha well so you say, but I can't think of anything I'm searching for tbh
I could use a new pair of socks...and expect they'll prolly be here by sunset now!
lol

you avoided all the meat there to have a Preaching Moment?
Never mind them vv huh
Ok

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha well so you say, but I can't think of anything I'm searching for tbh
What about your list?
I'd settle for one, got a link? I'd be looking for "Eternal = eon," "only One Immortal," "no one goes to heaven after literal death," etc. A complete disregard for tomorrow or Death More Abundantly iow

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a matter of brainwashing oneself at all. Its a matter of believing God's promise. John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Now does God keep His promises?
Yes, God keeps his promises. I have been guided to the truth. It is opposite of what you preach.

Sooooo why do you keep preaching it?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:27 says: "But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true--it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ." The truth is all there in Scripture and the Holy Spirit guides our understanding. We have an obligation (and the privilege that few had before the development of the printing press) to know the word of God so thoroughly that we can spot false teaching and we certainly should be able to spot false teachers by the way that they live.
Hi,

I agree with you that all the Truth is in Scripture. So why are there so many different interpretation's of that Truth? Catholic truth....Baptist truth...Mormon truth....SDA's truth....your truth...my truth. All of us (those denominations) allegedly guided by the Holy Spirit to obtain that "truth". Is the Holy Spirit confused?

Protestants call Catholic teachers false teachers. Catholics call everyone else false teachers. Mormons and SDA's say that everyone else is wrong they are right....they have the true teachings. Who decides what a "false teaching" is or who is a "false teacher"? What's the criteria?

Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who decides what a "false teaching" is or who is a "false teacher"? What's the criteria?
God the Holy Spirit decides what is true teaching and what is false teaching. Any and everything concerning doctrines and practices must be TOTALLY CONSISTENT with (1) Gospel truth and (2) Bible truth overall.

The reasons for the divisions and conflicts among Christians are rather simple:

1. Picking and choosing verses while ignoring the rest.

2. Taking verses out of context and misapplying them.

3. Deliberately distorting plain verses and creating false doctrines.

4. Putting man-made doctrines above the written Word of God.

B

brakelite

Who decides what a "false teaching" is or who is a "false teacher"? What's the criteria?
Jesus didn't tell us to judge if someone was right or wrong based on doctrine...He said, by their fruits shall ye know them. There are Christians in every denomination...some keeping and believing in correct doctrine, some not so much. But this they have in common, they are trusting in the blood of the Lamb and seeking further light from the Father of light and His Son. And God is working in them to lead them to greater understanding, and in the meantime they are growing in faith and their characters are becoming more Christ-like. Those fruits are fruits of righteousness. They have accepted by faith the imputed righteousness of Christ, and their characters have been transformed by the power of God through the sanctifying of His word. So I judge people not according to what doctrines they believe in, but by the manner in which they present those doctrines and their willingness to learn and sit humbly at the feet of the Saviour and be fed of Him. That is the criteria.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's not anywhere near what those scriptures are saying.
Sorry, what's not anywhere near them? And I feel compelled to point out that this generally starts immediately in my experience, so if you would you might reply in complete sentences here for a sec, and I will too ok.

Not saying you will do it but generally speaking the next post cannot be made to make sense by anyone, and when that comment is made the poster suddenly gets really busy somewhere else or maybe dies, dunno
ah, you just wanna skip right to the end there?
lol, ok

So yes, "it" is dang near what those vv are saying, "it" is a literal reading even, you just don't like the implications I guess? And I understand ok, I remember the resistance, afraid the whole Bible was gonna go down in flames or something lol. After setting out to invalidate It too, initially hoping It would even maybe, dunno quite how to describe my bias there at the time...in English anyway

Last edited: