Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The question wasn’t which church you DON’T want to go to. The question was which church you want to go to.

You eliminated my Church.....several thousand to go.....sooooo WHICH Church would you like to go to?

Do you lack confidence and faith in your church? Is that why you didn’t choose it?

Curious Mary
Imo it might be that I lack confidence in your definition of Church, Mary

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hm, well, as one person that did look at a test to be a pastor, I can say the test sections were Church history, world history, new testament, old testament, miscellaneous and this is where they claim to be Scripture Alone, and I bet most places have a lesser fraction of Scripture.

B

brakelite

The question wasn’t which church you DON’T want to go to. The question was which church you want to go to.

You eliminated my Church.....several thousand to go.....sooooo WHICH Church would you like to go to?

Do you lack confidence and faith in your church? Is that why you didn’t choose it?

Curious Mary
Well first off, I'm a tad confused as to what reason I am going to the church. If we are talking about Christian behaviour, or doctrine. Both vastly different things. I joined my church because the way I saw things at the time 22 years ago it is the closest I know to sound biblical doctrine. I have been given no reason since to change my mind.
If however we are talking about behaviour, which was what this discussion began with when we discussed the fruits of the spirit which are fruits of righteousness (behaviour and character) then what is it exactly you are asking? Why should I choose my church because of my behaviour or character? My church cannot change me or make me righteous... That is God's work. I am confused at what you are asking or expecting.
As far as dogma is concerned that is a Catholic expression. My church does not have dogma. None of our fundamental beliefs are set in concrete, and it is not demanded of our members that they must believe in them in every detail or else be excommunicated. Our fundamental beliefs as publicly listed are always open to change... Revision... rewording.. As the holy Spirit may direct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church is more fun than I thought. Not the Rock Band ones where they drink the koolaid. Meet people, there's not even any deadlines, token in the box on the Holy Day , check the box. Its probably the Synagogue Jewish holy Day on which God rested and carried over. The commandment is keep the sabbath holy, so, you could reasonably stand up from biblical scholarship and go make that.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well first off, I'm a tad confused as to what reason I am going to the church. If we are talking about Christian behaviour, or doctrine. Both vastly different things. I joined my church because the way I saw things at the time 22 years ago it is the closest I know to sound biblical doctrine. I have been given no reason since to change my mind.
If however we are talking about behaviour, which was what this discussion began with when we discussed the fruits of the spirit which are fruits of righteousness (behaviour and character) then what is it exactly you are asking? Why should I choose my church because of my behaviour or character? My church cannot change me or make me righteous... That is God's work. I am confused at what you are asking or expecting.
As far as dogma is concerned that is a Catholic expression. My church does not have dogma. None of our fundamental beliefs are set in concrete, and it is not demanded of our members that they must believe in them in every detail or else be excommunicated. Our fundamental beliefs as publicly listed are always open to change... Revision... rewording.. As the holy Spirit may direct.
We would go to the Church to settle our difference because that is what Scripture tells us to do. That is what the NT Christians obviously did. Ever hear of the Council of Jerusalem? Have you read Luke 10:16? Are the leaders of your church not confident in their teachings??? Does that clear up your “tad” bit of confusion? We Christians do what Scripture tells us to do. It is a doctrine thing AND a behavior thing. Matthew 18:17 is in regard to SIN which is a doctrine thing.

I find it fascinating that your Church has no beliefs set in concrete; abortion, murder, rape, homosexuality, infidelity, gay marriage, stealing etc??? None of those beliefs are set in concrete that members must believe? Those are always open to change, revision, rewording??? Why is it taking the Holy Spirit sooooo long to “direct” your church to the Truth in those matters?

I suspect you are not talking about “fundamental beliefs”. You probably meant other beliefs that are spoken of in Scripture like the Real Presence, Baptism, Confession etc? Once again, if that is the case, why is the Holy Spirit taking soooo long to guide your church to the Truth in these matters when the Holy Spirit has already guided thousands of other churches in these matters.

Curious Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I lack confidence in anything you say.....soooooo what now?

Curious Mary
Ah, so now we go to--sorry, I go to--Scripture, and you go to the pope, and we get our definitions, and we go our separate ways as soon as you point to your "church," with my blessings, ok? Boundary Stone intact, and etc

B

brakelite

We would go to the Church to settle our difference because that is what Scripture tells us to do. That is what the NT Christians obviously did. Ever hear of the Council of Jerusalem? Have you read Luke 10:16? Are the leaders of your church not confident in their teachings??? Does that clear up your “tad” bit of confusion? We Christians do what Scripture tells us to do. It is a doctrine thing AND a behavior thing. Matthew 18:17 is in regard to SIN which is a doctrine thing.

I find it fascinating that your Church has no beliefs set in concrete; abortion, murder, rape, homosexuality, infidelity, gay marriage, stealing etc??? None of those beliefs are set in concrete that members must believe? Those are always open to change, revision, rewording??? Why is it taking the Holy Spirit sooooo long to “direct” your church to the Truth in those matters?

I suspect you are not talking about “fundamental beliefs”. You probably meant other beliefs that are spoken of in Scripture like the Real Presence, Baptism, Confession etc? Once again, if that is the case, why is the Holy Spirit taking soooo long to guide your church to the Truth in these matters when the Holy Spirit has already guided thousands of other churches in these matters.

Curious Mary
This conversation is no longer with proceeding with as you are diving head first into the realm of desperation and stupidity.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, so now we go to--sorry, I go to--Scripture, and you go to the pope, and we get our definitions, and we go our separate ways as soon as you point to your "church," with my blessings, ok? Boundary Stone intact, and etc
My Church says you are wrong (me pointing to my Church).....can we now go our separate ways?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This conversation is no longer with proceeding with as you are diving head first into the realm of desperation and stupidity.
LOL....You are the one who said your church has no confidence in what it teaches to be true. They are still waiting for the Holy Spirit to guide them......2,000 years after the truth has been revealed mind you........And you suggest I am diving into the realm of “desperation and stupidity”???

Hmmmm......I think that maybe you just realized how your church lacks any teaching authority or truth.

You should join my Church. :rolleyes:

It has been teaching the same Truth for 2,000 years, has all of it’s doctrine/dogma written down for everyone to see/read and adhere to AND it holds the members of The Church accountable for their actions that are OPPOSITE of The Truth......JUST LIKE SCRIPTURE TEACHES US TO DO.

Mary

B

brakelite

LOL....You are the one who said your church has no confidence in what it teaches to be true. They are still waiting for the Holy Spirit to guide them......2,000 years after the truth has been revealed mind you........And you suggest I am diving into the realm of “desperation and stupidity”???

Hmmmm......I think that maybe you just realized how your church lacks any teaching authority or truth.

You should join my Church. :rolleyes:

It has been teaching the same Truth for 2,000 years, has all of it’s doctrine/dogma written down for everyone to see/read and adhere to AND it holds the members of The Church accountable for their actions that are OPPOSITE of The Truth......JUST LIKE SCRIPTURE TEACHES US TO DO.

Mary
Not just diving any more... You have jumped out of the plane and are freefalling.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just diving any more... You have jumped out of the plane and are freefalling.
Your done trying to save me from my evil Church? If my Church is the anti-Christ Church that you speak of then that means satan won and you lost. None of your arguments swayed me.

Maybe I wasn’t swayed because you couldn’t back up what you believed with Scripture or truth?

Wait a minute....You admitted your church doesn’t know the Truth and has no authority soooo that’s why you couldn’t sway me. How did they sway you?

Thank you for your time.

Mary

B

brakelite

Your done trying to save me from my evil Church? If my Church is the anti-Christ Church that you speak of then that means satan won and you lost. None of your arguments swayed me.

Maybe I wasn’t swayed because you couldn’t back up what you believed with Scripture or truth?

Wait a minute....You admitted your church doesn’t know the Truth and has no authority soooo that’s why you couldn’t sway me. How did they sway you?

Thank you for your time.

Mary
How long did it take to be trained to write like that?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Thank you for your time.

Mary
yet here you are, and not on a Catholic forum, hmm

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long did it take to be trained to write like that?
We have historical records from the early Church that show one was not allowed to be baptized a Christian until they had extensive schooling (year or longer). People were being baptized and calling themselves Christians but didn’t know anything about Christ’s or the teachings of the Apostles. Hence, one of the reasons for the Apostles Creed. That schooling, RCIA, still holds true today.

How about if you join The Church, take the same RCIA classes and if you find any holes in their theology you can walk away?

Mary

B

brakelite

We have historical records from the early Church that show one was not allowed to be baptized a Christian until they had extensive schooling (year or longer). People were being baptized and calling themselves Christians but didn’t know anything about Christ’s or the teachings of the Apostles. Hence, one of the reasons for the Apostles Creed. That schooling, RCIA, still holds true today.

How about if you join The Church, take the same RCIA classes and if you find any holes in their theology you can walk away?

Mary
I have already walked away. And fully cognizant of what I was walking away from.
You didn't answer my question though. How long did it take for you to be trained to write on forums the way you do? To learn how to twist someone's argument, ask leading questions to evoke a certain answer, and to avoid actually speaking about doctrine by constantly reverting back to the argument that "my church is correct regardless of what we discuss over doctrine". BoL was trained by the same people. Neither of you are 'just' Catholic.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already walked away. And fully cognizant of what I was walking away from.
You didn't answer my question though. How long did it take for you to be trained to write on forums the way you do? To learn how to twist someone's argument, ask leading questions to evoke a certain answer, and to avoid actually speaking about doctrine by constantly reverting back to the argument that "my church is correct regardless of what we discuss over doctrine". BoL was trained by the same people. Neither of you are 'just' Catholic.
No training here....I made that clear in the previous post. I only use Scripture, history, facts and your own untrue statements to destroy what you believe is true.

I get it. It makes you angry that everything you have been taught to be true about the CC and Christian History is not true. Someone twisted it and spoon fed it to you. You ate it up without doing your own research......:(

B

brakelite

I get it. It makes you angry that everything you have been taught to be true about the CC and Christian History is not true. Someone twisted it and spoon fed it to you. You ate it up without doing your own research......
My entire education was through the twisted/spoon-fed lies taught to me by Marist brothers in Grade school and Marist priests in high school. The same lies of omission we get from you, BoL and Epostle.