Why are the 7 Churches in Revelation each greeted differently...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul

Before I had read down through the thread this far I was going to include a similar explanation...According to the level that each of is at in his walk with God there is a message. The way God addresses each of us is different according to the level and the present circumstances of the person receiving the message. Not every message for all the seven church es is necessarily always a message to you or to me or to the other guy. Each time you read the same verses a different one [or ones] may apply to you in that moment.
I can very definitely agree with those two sentences.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a book like slippery soap...just as I think I have 'got it' it slips out of my hand again. :)

I don't think it is a book which can be understood , or ever meant to be understood. I 'used to' believe that it could be studied and interpreted , but I no longer do.
I believe the Lord just takes bits here and there and opens it up at a certain given time.

It's unique for sure. Enjoy your studies and be sure to
let us know when the Lord shows you new things in it. :)

Blessings...H
Aye for indeed just study is not enough. I remember a number of years ago deciding to simply read and re-read the whole Book of Revelation slowly and prayerfully. I did and it was very worthwhile, but, I did not receive what I had hoped to receive.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
may not be a bad first approximation, yeh.

i would collect several of these from diff ppl maybe, and find a concensus that way.
"he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand" gives me a diff impression than "scrutinizing," which to me comes out more in part two there; a la "He Who is really in control, as opposed to what the Nicolaitans believe" maybe, "and can pop your king's head like a zit whenever He wants" kinda thing.
And perhaps that consensus will be useful/helpful to us when we have read the combined result and perhaps not. Does it not depend upon our hearts in that moment and on what God wants us to know or to believe?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did say there were things in that letter to some ancient people that we can learn some lessons from...… but that letter was written to, addressed to, delivered to, and originally read by people who lived in a very different world almost 2,000 years ago. It was not a secret letter with a message hidden for two millennia, the meaning of which was intended to be finally discovered in the year 2019.
Think about the Mysteries of God and how they are kept hidden until the appointed time....there is a lot more that He is going to reveal then.
I appreciate your practical approach to understanding scripture but if I am to be obedient then I have to listen to the Holy Spirit. Not to say you are wrong, and not to imply that I will find a hidden meaning....just seeking what He purposed for me to gain in studying Revelation. I just obey...

Reactions: Willie T

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul

Before I had read down through the thread this far I was going to include a similar explanation...According to the level that each of is at in his walk with God there is a message. The way God addresses each of us is different according to the level and the present circumstances of the person receiving the message. Not every message for all the seven church es is necessarily always a message to you or to me or to the other guy. Each time you read the same verses a different one [or ones] may apply to you in that moment.
But I am not even reading it on that level as personal to me....more like a clearer message relating to His Church...i don't know yet.

Reactions: Willie T

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I am not even reading it on that level as personal to me....more like a clearer message relating to His Church...i don't know yet.
Even if you are not reading it that way on purpose, consider what God's purpose is in having you read it at all. Personal messages for you are one thing and messages for all of His Church are another... or are they? If you are a part of, or are to be a part of, the Body of Christ [the Church] how you as an individual part work is important to the whole Body, because we will [if we are a part] fit together with all of the other parts precisely. Man is NOT the master builder of this Body, [of this Church] and while God can and does use men in the building, they can only be used when they are pliable in His hands for it is built without hands [men's hand I believe that is].

What do we, as parts of the Body, need to know about the whole Body? The Head needs to and does know all that needs to be known about each part and about the whole Body, but no one of us is the Head. What we need to know is how to perform our designated [by God] function and how to work properly in conjunction with other parts and to be subject always and completely to the Head, which is Jesus.

Last edited:

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:23 And they will say to you, ‘Lo, there!’ or ‘Lo, here!Do not go, do not follow them.

Satan is casting about to see whom he will snare,
Bobby Jo

Old(Old testament) "The Lord is my Name"
New(New testament) "Jesus is Lord"
Satan has no power over those who love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Chapter 1 all of the characteristics below are used to describe Jesus...but when addressing each church separately only 1 characteristic is used in the greeting to the church....and each church received a different one. WHY? Is there any significance to this?
Refer to Revelation 1:11-20

2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks

8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars;

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I don't believe this was done by mistake or happenstance. I believe there is a reason and am studying it as best I can. Anyone got an answer?
In Chapter 1 all of the characteristics below are used to describe Jesus...but when addressing each church separately only 1 characteristic is used in the greeting to the church....and each church received a different one. WHY? Is there any significance to this?
Refer to Revelation 1:11-20

2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks

8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars;

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I don't believe this was done by mistake or happenstance. I believe there is a reason and am studying it as best I can. Anyone got an answer?

This man give a very compelling argument for the meaning of the churches listed in revelation, but you’ll have to be willing to watch part one and two

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This man give a very compelling argument for the meaning of the churches listed in revelation, but you’ll have to be willing to watch part one and two
@Heart2Soul he gives the meaning of the name of each church,where their located and what was going on around them at the time these 7 epistles were written

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know. I watch as they read ...

... the book of Revelation for what it says and what it means! YEP. :)

But be careful because there are some in this Forum who would deceive you:

2 Cor. 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

And I wouldn't wish you to follow where they are going, and would take you if they could,
Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a book like slippery soap...just as I think I have 'got it' it slips out of my hand again. :)

I don't think it is a book which can be understood , or ever meant to be understood. I 'used to' believe that it could be studied and interpreted , but I no longer do.
I believe the Lord just takes bits here and there and opens it up at a certain given time.

It's unique for sure. Enjoy your studies and be sure to
let us know when the Lord shows you new things in it. :)

Blessings...H

Actually the Book of Revelation is not as complex as one might imagine if you have a few basic concepts. And Chapters 12, 13, 14, 17, & 18 are particularly easy given the foundation laid by Daniel. -- Perhaps if you started with Daniel, Revelation would come to LIFE! ;)

Bobby Jo

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(As far as "reading things into" the book...…) I'm curious.... Where is The Great Tribulation mentioned in Revelation? Or where is it even mentioned in the Bible? Would someone quote the verse or verses?
(Please help me, I obviously need the instruction.)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul. I was looking over some of my old notes on the seven churches, and maybe this might be an intrest to you also.
Just who are these seven letters directed to? Answer the leadership especially in or of each church. He address the angle or the messenger, or the pastor, bishop, ..ect.. of each church that have or have not a leadership problem. These messengers of the seven churches are the FIVE FOLD MINISTRY in or of each church. The Lord Jesus, God almighty, starts at the top, “LEADERSHIP” first in rebuke, or edification. scripture, Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ”.

In all the letters to the churches, (their Leadership, the angel, or messenger, the Pastor, bishop, ect…) notice how all the letters except two of the letter to the Ephesians and the Laodiceans begin with and reveals the problem in each church leadership. but the two churches, of Ephesians and of the Laodiceans, they both began with, and or address as, "of", and not, "in" a certain location.

the angel of the church of Ephesus
Verse 1. "Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks". the Lord Jesus identifies himself as walking in the midst of all the churches. Walk here means to live. The seven stars are the pastors/bishops/ prophets/apostles who are in leadership positions. And by being in his hand this is judgment. first thing the angel/pastor/bishop/ect.. “of” the church at Ephesus is to do is to listen and understand the letter written unto them. He knows the leadership work. And at Ephesus the Lord said, verse 2 “I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted”. here as in Laodiceans, the leadership cannot make up their mind on what’s the right way to go. They have good intention, but the wrong doctrine. They have found some to be lairs, this is a good work, but, he had something against them,“because thou hast left thy first love”. meaning him, the Lord Jesus, God himself. the first Love is JESUS CHRIST himself. they have left his doctrine to do work, the King business, and forgot the first thing, scripture, Luke 10:38-42. next, in verses:5 & 6 this Love is brought out clearly. "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate”. repent, is to change one mind. Or else the Lord Jesus will remove the pastor/leadership at the church. For the Nicolaitans: it means to a vanquishers of a people, conquerors over the laity (the people). ruling people without LOVE. This the Lord Jesus hate.
and one can see other problems as one read the others letters.

not saying this is correct or wrong, but something to consider.
PICJAG.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul. I was looking over some of my old notes on the seven churches, and maybe this might be an intrest to you also.
Just who are these seven letters directed to? Answer the leadership especially in or of each church. He address the angle or the messenger, or the pastor, bishop, ..ect.. of each church that have or have not a leadership problem. These messengers of the seven churches are the FIVE FOLD MINISTRY in or of each church. The Lord Jesus, God almighty, starts at the top, “LEADERSHIP” first in rebuke, or edification. scripture, Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ”.

In all the letters to the churches, (their Leadership, the angel, or messenger, the Pastor, bishop, ect…) notice how all the letters except two of the letter to the Ephesians and the Laodiceans begin with and reveals the problem in each church leadership. but the two churches, of Ephesians and of the Laodiceans, they both began with, and or address as, "of", and not, "in" a certain location.

the angel of the church of Ephesus
Verse 1. "Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks". the Lord Jesus identifies himself as walking in the midst of all the churches. Walk here means to live. The seven stars are the pastors/bishops/ prophets/apostles who are in leadership positions. And by being in his hand this is judgment. first thing the angel/pastor/bishop/ect.. “of” the church at Ephesus is to do is to listen and understand the letter written unto them. He knows the leadership work. And at Ephesus the Lord said, verse 2 “I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted”. here as in Laodiceans, the leadership cannot make up their mind on what’s the right way to go. They have good intention, but the wrong doctrine. They have found some to be lairs, this is a good work, but, he had something against them,“because thou hast left thy first love”. meaning him, the Lord Jesus, God himself. the first Love is JESUS CHRIST himself. they have left his doctrine to do work, the King business, and forgot the first thing, scripture, Luke 10:38-42. next, in verses:5 & 6 this Love is brought out clearly. "Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate”. repent, is to change one mind. Or else the Lord Jesus will remove the pastor/leadership at the church. For the Nicolaitans: it means to a vanquishers of a people, conquerors over the laity (the people). ruling people without LOVE. This the Lord Jesus hate.
and one can see other problems as one read the others letters.

not saying this is correct or wrong, but something to consider.
PICJAG.
Yes this adds a lot more depth to the meaning. Thank you!

Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(As far as "reading things into" the book...…) I'm curious.... Where is The Great Tribulation mentioned in Revelation? Or where is it even mentioned in the Bible? Would someone quote the verse or verses?
(Please help me, I obviously need the instruction.)
Hey go start your own thread....lol.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if you are not reading it that on purpose, consider what God's purpose is in having you read it at all. Personal messages for you are one thing and messages for all of His Church are another... or are they? If you are a part of, or are to be a part of, the Body of Christ [the Church] how you as an individual part work is important to the whole Body, because we will [if we are a part] fit together with all of the other parts precisely. Man is NOT the master builder of this Body, [of this Church] and while God can and does use men in the building, they can only be used when they are pliable in His hands for it is built without hands [men's hand I believe that is].

What do we, as parts of the Body, need to know about the whole Body? The Head needs to and does know all that needs to be known about each part and about the whole Body, but no one of us is the Head. What we need to know is how to perform our designated [by God] function and how to work properly in conjunction with other parts and to be subject always and completely to the Head, which is Jesus.
Absolutely! Ask HiH...I am constantly addressing scripture reference to the body of Christ, His Church, and our part in it.
My heart and soul is all about serving Him and being obedient to fulfill my part in the body. Thank you for your response. Always packed with wisdom!
God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This time I disagree...I haven't had any desire to read and study Revelation. I just finished First and Second Timothy and I asked the Holy Spirit what do YOU want me to study? He said Revelation. So I started and right off the bat I saw something I had never seen before. Which is the topic of this thread. There is hidden wisdom here I am absolutely certain because everytime this happens to me when reading scripture the Holy Spirit reveals a deeper understanding of it to me.....a hidden wisdom. And I am not done yet....everyone who posted something has triggered or caused my eyes to open up and see what He is revealing here.
Also in the first chapter there’s a special blessing for those who hear the words of this book.