Why are the 7 Churches in Revelation each greeted differently...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do think that the great tribulation in Matthew 24 refers to a unique, future event that is distinct from the general tribulation principle in John 16.33, which affects all of us.
Me too.

Reactions: farouk

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 7
13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?

14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
I wonder who John was referring to in C-1, V-9, when he said he was their brother and companion in tribulation? (and, BTW, C-7, V-13 doesn't say anything about "THE" Great Tribulation.) And we have definitely made the mention of troubling times into an event we call "THE" Great Tribulation, when the Bible never does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seven Key Elements

A key aspect to understanding the letters is to grasp the structure of their design. A careful examination of the letters reveals seven key elements in their design:

1. The meaning of the name of the church being addressed (see below);
  2. The title of Jesus, each chosen relevant to the message to that particular church;
  3. The commendation of things that have been done well;
  4. The "criticism" of things that need attention;
  5. The exhortation, specific to the condition of the particular church;
  6. The promise to the "overcomer" included with each letter;
  7. The key phrase, "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches."
????

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder who John was referring to in C-1, V-9, when he said he was their brother in tribulation? (and, BTW, C-7, V-13 doesn't say anything about "THE" Great Tribulation.) And we have definitely made the mention of troubling times into an event we call "THE" Great Tribulation, when the Bible never does.
Maybe it’s because we partake of the sufferings of Christ

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder who John was referring to in C-1, V-9, when he said he was their brother in tribulation? (and, BTW, C-7, V-13 doesn't say anything about "THE" Great Tribulation.) And we have definitely made the mention of troubling times into an event we call "THE" Great Tribulation, when the Bible never does.
I am not much in debating tribulation...mainly because I still struggle with how it is taught...I wont be able to agree nor disagree at this point.

Reactions: Willie T

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Seven Key Elements

A key aspect to understanding the letters is to grasp the structure of their design. A careful examination of the letters reveals seven key elements in their design:

1. The meaning of the name of the church being addressed (see below);
  2. The title of Jesus, each chosen relevant to the message to that particular church;
  3. The commendation of things that have been done well;
  4. The "criticism" of things that need attention;
  5. The exhortation, specific to the condition of the particular church;
  6. The promise to the "overcomer" included with each letter;
  7. The key phrase, "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches."
????
Interesting questions; sound reasonable to ask, in exposition of the passages.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting questions; sound reasonable to ask, in exposition of the passages.
Well I have been given a lot of information and have begun to see what the Holy Spirit is showing me....and it was the contributions from everyone who posted that helped alot.
Thanks again.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I understand that....but why did each church receiving a different greeting as related to His appearance.

It's because each example fills a certain pattern for the seven candlesticks that John saw in Heaven.

Rev 1:20
20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

KJV

For John's day historically, the seven Messages were about things going on in each specific Church region.

But for the end, each Message represents what the Churches would be doing. They serve as warnings. Five of them our Lord Jesus warned to repent, and one of those He warned that He would remove their candlestick (in Heaven) from its place if they didn't repent. Included are warnings about His return, which covers the application of the Messages all the way up to His second coming.

Only two of the seven Jesus had no problem with, Smyrna and Philadelphia. There is a specific matter He mentioned to those two that He didn't mention to the other five Churches. The indicators He gave those two show they represent His very elect. Five Churches represent problems because of deception. Two Churches are not deceived.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...but in reality, we are doing little more than reading someone else's mail
That *mail* was to be read by all Christians in all ages until the Rapture. God put those letters there for every local assembly and every Christian within that assembly (in every age) to examine their hearts and see whether they were conformed to Christ, or allowing Satan to control them.

The Lord Jesus Christ expects every Christian to make Him their *first love* (their priority in life). He expects every Christian to do good works, to labor for Him, and to maintain patience, charity (Christian love), and faith, to be watchful, and to strengthen the things which remain -- in effect to be overcomers.

At the same time He expects every Christian to hate false teachings, and not to tolerate evildoers and liars within the churches. As to the letter to the Laodiceans, it is a revelation of churches which claim to be Christian but are not. The individuals are shown to be devoid of the Holy Spirit -- wretched, miserable, poor, blind, naked. They need to be converted and be born again.

Some believe that those churches represent the historical development of Christianity and Christendom. That may or may not be true, but the lessons for those churches are as valid today as their were at that time.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That *mail* was to be read by all Christians in all ages until the Rapture. God put those letters there for every local assembly and every Christian within that assembly (in every age) to examine their hearts and see whether they were conformed to Christ, or allowing Satan to control them.

The Lord Jesus Christ expects every Christian to make Him their *first love* (their priority in life). He expects every Christian to do good works, to labor for Him, and to maintain patience, charity (Christian love), and faith, to be watchful, and to strengthen the things which remain -- in effect to be overcomers.

At the same time He expects every Christian to hate false teachings, and not to tolerate evildoers and liars within the churches. As to the letter to the Laodiceans, it is a revelation of churches which claim to be Christian but are not. The individuals are shown to be devoid of the Holy Spirit -- wretched, miserable, poor, blind, naked. They need to be converted and be born again.

Some believe that those churches represent the historical development of Christianity and Christendom. That may or may not be true, but the lessons for those churches are as valid today as their were at that time.[/QUOTE]
As I said they were.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing I want to share...I heard preacher on that video say that there were more than 7 churches. The Roman Church, and Jesus Church are all I remember him saying....but what about the church of the Corinthians, the Phillippians, etc...why are they left out.
Something else He pointed out is that everything in Revelation comes in 7....7 stars, 7 spirits, 7 candlesticks, 7 churches, 7 angels, 7 trumpets, 7 seals, 7 bowls......and many more....how interesting.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other thing I want to share...I heard preacher on that video say that there were more than 7 churches. The Roman Church, and Jesus Church are all I remember him saying....but what about the church of the Corinthians, the Phillippians, etc...why are they left out.
Something else He pointed out is that everything in Revelation comes in 7....7 stars, 7 spirits, 7 candlesticks, 7 churches, 7 angels, 7 trumpets, 7 seals, 7 bowls......and many more....how interesting.
This guy decoded messages for the military. He’s an information scientist, pays very close attention to detail.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The structure of Revelation also reflects the way another book of the bible is structured. (But, I won't spoil that for you. I am convinced that soon enough you will discover that for yourself.)

Reactions: Heart2Soul