Why are the 7 Churches in Revelation each greeted differently...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I know we all desire to believe Revelation was written pretty specifically to those of us modern people living today. But, the truth we have to face (no matter how much we don't want to) is that it really was a letter of encouragement that was written to those congregations situated on what is now the Western edge of modern Turkey, and that were specifically named, and that the parchment scrolls were physically delivered to. Certainly there are things it contains that we can learn from, but in reality, we are doing little more than reading someone else's mail.
yikes?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And go to verse 11 of that very first Chapter. There is also no mystery that John was clearly instructed as to exactly whom he was to send this letter.
You may find this interesting

The Meaning of Names
Epheses: The Desired One
Smyrna: Myrrh; Death
Pergamos: Mixed Marriage
Thyatira: Semiramis
Sardis: Remnant
Philadelphia: Brotherly Love
Laodicea: People Rule

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may find this interesting

The Meaning of Names
Epheses: The Desired One
Smyrna: Myrrh; Death
Pergamos: Mixed Marriage
Thyatira: Semiramis
Sardis: Remnant
Philadelphia: Brotherly Love
Laodicea: People Rule
"Yes", that is interesting, isn't it? I wonder if those meanings stood prior to the writing of Revelation, or if they developed over the years. Would congregations deliberately name themselves thus?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is simeramis?
Embarrassingly, it psychologically describes me. (I'm a little ashamed to tell you all it implies.)
If I was so named, I'm afraid it just might fit:
  • Your name of Simeramis gives you an independent, serious, reticent, and studious nature.
  • An intellectual, you have a deep appreciation for art, music, literature, and all the phenomena of nature.
  • You express your thoughts and feelings best through writing rather than verbally.
  • In fact, others find it challenging to understand you as you do not reveal your innermost thoughts unless you are completely comfortable in your friendships.
  • For that reason, despite having good business abilities, you like to work alone or where you are making your own decisions.
  • It has created separateness from others and loneliness in your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(As far as "reading things into" the book...…) I'm curious.... Where is The Great Tribulation mentioned in Revelation? Or where is it even mentioned in the Bible? Would someone quote the verse or verses?
(Please help me, I obviously need the instruction.)
Revelation 7
13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?

14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This man give a very compelling argument for the meaning of the churches listed in revelation, but you’ll have to be willing to watch part one and two
I watched all of part 1...was very interesting....was disappointed that he preaches pre trib. I did a Google search on him and he claimed to be best friends with Hal Lindsey.
But I really got some nuggets from it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I watched all of part 1...was very interesting....was disappointed that he preaches pre trib. I did a Google search on him and he claimed to be best friends with Hal Lindsey.
I do think that the great tribulation in Matthew 24 refers to a unique, future event that is distinct from the general tribulation principle in John 16.33, which affects all of us.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed, but chucks done his homework on the churches, and that was your question.
I’m not in agreement with everything he claims either.
Part 2 and 3 gives a lot of insight pertaining to the churches.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the best nuggets is realizing Revelation was given to Jesus from God and in turn Jesus gave it to his angel to be written for all to read.

Reactions: Willie T